Thoughts on the license Tests?

• Thread starter durb98
  • 155 comments
Maybe I'll activate some helps because ATM I am really struggling to gold some tests šŸ˜…

Can we activate the demo ghost while doing a test ? And offsetting him a bit so we can learn from his example how to deal with the test ?
I do find the demo car has more grip & braking power. Wonder if anyone else felt the same?

I skipped GTS, but have played every other Gran Turismo to date. Golded everything until Super and was on a controller, so just went for the pass. I'll go back over time with the wheel & get them

I will say that Rally should not be a test, & last test was humbling. Especially when asked if I wanted to go back and review the demo :eek:

Its a New bug they should be on dirt tires. All the dirt licenses are on the wrong tires.
There's something wrong with the tires in general. The Sports hard tire is as good as a comfort hard tire. The car keeps slipping in the license tests. Maybe the new dynamics & physics of the game.

There's something wrong with the tires in general. The Sports hard tire is as good as a comfort hard tire. The car keeps slipping in the license tests. Maybe the new dynamics & physics of the game.
I too have been unimpressed by the performance of sports hards.

I have the same problem with A-8. The truck has CM tires. I can only get bronze.
I had planned on going for All Gold on my licenses on the first pass, this test made say "Heck with this." Got silver and bronze on A-9 and A-10 and went back to doing the racing part of the game.

Edit: And just learned about the wrong tires bug with this patch....so I wasted a bunch of time on this test when even Silver was barely realistically obtainable... šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Last edited:
Well here I go again. A10 Supra test got so close last time out 0.105 off gold iirc, I have been off game with Norovirus (you really don't want it I lost half a stone in just over 24 hours!) Now I am hoping to lose a second or so off my times.
It is hard but I can't see it not being achievable as others have done it so plod on and give it my best.

I've enjoyed the licence tests so far. I've got 2-3 left on S-Licence to go (all gold so far). I think the one I struggled with most was the Formula car around Laguna Seca. Did about 15-20 attempts always about a second down from Gold. Then out of nowhere, boom .3 seconds under gold time. I found turning on the demo ghost and setting to 0.3 seconds really helped me learn braking points and corner speed.

Ok the Supra A-10 forget it I cannot do it. 29.104 is as close as I am going to get so I moved on to IB Licence hahaha IB-1 Silver and IB-2 15.300 for Gold in that ferrari my best 16.717. T/C 5 ABS Default ASM On or I cannot keep it under control in any bend unless I slow to near stop and then not even bronze!
I play these games for fun and I have just noticed I was actually getting frustrated and I did a run and it felt so much faster and I thought yes I have done it only for the time to say no you haven't pal I was nearly a second over my best time???
Fun is fun but when it makes you frustrated it is time to put down the hand controller. Time for a time out I think.
A huge well done to those who have done it you are certainly better than me. respect.

I'm not going to go on about how much harder things should be, for us untalented people to obtain things like trophies. But good on us for having a go and if your lucky like me you passed by a whisker. So good luck to the rest of the un Alien people and keep complaining how hard **** can be because it fires the rest of them up. Cheers from a slow poke.

I wouldn't say it fires anyone up it is simply a game which is a test of one's ability and my and other's ability is no where near good enough for the difficulty of some of the licences, I have just gone in to S-Class and tried that f1 car at Laguna a track I adore not a chance can I get around once in that car never mind try and get a competitve time for Bronze I just end up sliding off or I could go around without pressing X but what is the point of that?

I find it very difficult bordering impossible in a lot of the tests. I have gold up to the final race in IA the final race in the Supra I cannot do, but they can be done as people have done them, I can do bronze in licences past that, S-class I can't even do Bronze so is my skill level.
So we who cannot do them need to just accept our skill levels are not up there with others.
Yes keep having a go if you wish but if you are honest with yourself and accept your skill level then like me I am very proud of myself for getting near gold and getting silver on some of the licences.

To many of us want to gold everything but we are not all at that skill level so pointless moaning either get on with it and be satisifed with silver and bronze or wait for an Update which makes the licences a lot easier for the layman like me (doubt we will see one though lol)

Remember if you pass each licence all bronze you can still race any race as you hold the licence.
Those who take it as a personal mission that each licence test is gold or nothing is the only way well good luck I hope you do it but don't get frustrated and annoyed just accept your skill level. I used to be good I completed gt 1 2 3 4 5 now as age creeps up more each day I have to accept I am not that player anymore.
Nothing wrong with accepting where we stand embrace it and the game will stop driving you mad.

Thoroughly enjoyed Golding the first 3 set of license tests (B, A & IB). Some are harder mainly because of the wrong allocation of tires. CS for a wet track?????

IMO, a test should take a few tries in order to gold it. If it can be mastered in 1 go then that license test is not a test at all.

If any specific test is just hard enough to get a Gold time, try playing with the assists. TCS, countersteering, braking zone etc can help claw the missing time for Gold.

The Alsace test track for IB-9 with the BMW car (even though a small run distance to chequered flag) was 1 of the most enjoyable tests.

Mmmmmmmm................. reading everyone else's comments I now feel not alone. I have Golded all tests and have similar sentiments to everyone else.

BUT I would like to point out PD have obviously gotten this spot on (flame jacket ON)

Look at a standard deviation curve, 25% should get gold, the next 50% silver and the bottom 25% bronze.

Most people here seem to expect they can get the gold easily and with little effort. I have some sad news for these people ;-)

Just think about it, the game is supposed to be hard to be able to get the Platinum Trophy or Gold in all the tests. What next, Olympians complaining they all didn't get Gold?

Think about it.

Final point. I am 86% way through all trophies and my only gripe is the lack of money earning potential and the elusive expensive cars :-( Even that being said I have only had the game for 6 days so what else will I do for the next 4+ years waiting for GT8 ;-)

Good work!

Although not sure you can compare Olympic podium finish, as that's a zero sum event... someone has to win, the rest lose. In the license tests, it's just you against the computer.

If any specific test is just hard enough to get a Gold time, try playing with the assists. TCS, countersteering, braking zone etc can help claw the missing time for Gold.
I prefer to struggle than to activate aids to get gold but it is cool that the possibility is there for those who do not share my approach

I am now on IB-3 with the Lexus 37.800 for gold I done 38.234 so far I keep making different mistakes each time lol.
Have a couple of hours to kill so why not.

I just came up to IA-5 and itā€™s the first one I struggled with. Iā€™m not prepared for a car that fast lol. The difference in sports cars to these Le Mans cars is insane.

Might be easier on a wheel maybe.

I am now on IB-3 with the Lexus 37.800 for gold I done 38.234 so far I keep making different mistakes each time lol.
Have a couple of hours to kill so why not

I just came up to IA-5 and itā€™s the first one I struggled with. Iā€™m not prepared for a car that fast lol. The difference in sports cars to these Le Mans cars is insane.

Might be easier on a wheel maybe.
IA5 the 180sx in the wet..... I did gold on my third attempt, don't ask me how I just did 30.339 I did. Think I just whacked up the TC and had Stability on. Good luck. I still haven't done IB-3 with the Lexus 38.075 best so far.

Edit: down to 37.929 it is just teasing me now.

Edit again: to 37.853 now it is taking the *^ lol

Gold is mine 37.679 woo hoo I just went in to Controller settings and lowered force feedback max torque to 3 from 4 and wow what a difference it made to the steering it felt loads better.

Last edited:
Congrats. Still working on that **** smh. Iā€™m off by like .01 for it.
Keep going bud I did and it just comes to you like riding a bike! sort of anyway you realise where your losing time only a fraction but that makes the difference. It will come keep the faith.

The licence test actually make me depressed.
I am playing with my 8 year old son and we are on IB-4 with the Skyline I have got 31.583 Gold is 31.200 really struggling to do it. It is auto fail if you touch the wall lol my son said here dad I can do it and yes he can get around without failing but he is doing a PB of 50.992 lol he says brake in the corners dad and you don't touch the wall lol he is learning.
You gotta enjoy the ride or it isn't worth playing.
If it starts annoying you just put it down and have another go later.

Edit: IB-4 Give up cannot go any better than 31.453 so moved to IB-5 Rallying??? Bronze is cool I got Bronze and no I won't even be attempting to do better on rallying, Rallying is bought by Beelzebub himself to annoy me, I beat it I got Bronze now I forget it exists.
On to IB-6 first go got 39.591 Gold is 39.300 so I thought ok lets go and every go after that I am doing 1.40+
Starting to bore me now so switching off for a while. A refresh of the batteries is required.
Good luck folks.

Last edited:
I am playing with my 8 year old son and we are on IB-4 with the Skyline I have got 31.583 Gold is 31.200 really struggling to do it. It is auto fail if you touch the wall lol my son said here dad I can do it and yes he can get around without failing but he is doing a PB of 50.992 lol he says brake in the corners dad and you don't touch the wall lol he is learning.
You gotta enjoy the ride or it isn't worth playing.
If it starts annoying you just put it down and have another go later.

Edit: IB-4 Give up cannot go any better than 31.453 so moved to IB-5 Rallying??? Bronze is cool I got Bronze and no I won't even be attempting to do better on rallying, Rallying is bought by Beelzebub himself to annoy me, I beat it I got Bronze now I forget it exists.
On to IB-6 first go got 39.591 Gold is 39.300 so I thought ok lets go and every go after that I am doing 1.40+
Starting to bore me now so switching off for a while. A refresh of the batteries is required.
Good luck folks.
If you think IB-4 is tough, just wait. You'll end up depressed like me the furthest you go. I would LOVE IB-4 again lol

Iā€™ve completed the menu books and mercifully only had to do two licenses. Like most the single player they are fairly joyless experiences. What do you get for getting gold on all of them?

Last edited:
I can't believe people are calling these tests hard. These are the easiest License Tests PD have given us in the series to date! I got a 2:13.567 on S-10 on my FIRST TRY! Just stay on the dry line and you good. And A10? The Suzuka one? Pfffft. I did it with my eyes closed. Git Gud guys or go play Mario Kart.
Wow you are my inspiration I am so impressed, maybe us mortals should just throw it in the bin and bow down to such supriority or maybe we can plod on and enjoy it at our pace and do what we do?

If you think IB-4 is tough, just wait. You'll end up depressed like me the furthest you go. I would LOVE IB-4 again lol
Nah I am a realist if it gets to tricky then I settle for Bronze or not passing it,
I would have let it bother me years back when doing other GT games but not now I just do what I can do and enjoy it.

Back