Thrustmaster "New Era" - gen 2 direct drive

• Thread starter Haitauer
  • 43 comments
If the wheel has a diameter of 30cm what's the diameter of the base?!
I thought the existing dd wheel bases were large, but this one looks xbox huge..
I'm concerned for anybody trying to fit that behind or under their monitor, if they have a full sim rig. This looks like it will work great for people just mounting to a desk.

I was checking the dimensions of this particular base and it is a big one in terms of height. This might not be a very manageable dimension when mounting.

Just for comparison in terms of height:
  • T248 ___________ 165.40mm
  • T300/tx _________ 178.11mm
  • T818 ____________180.00mm
  • TGT(II) __________193.40mm
  • T500 ____________199.00mm
  • TSPC/TSX ________207.40mm
  • T598 ____________213.00mm (the tallest)
As for Fanatec's bases height:
  • Podium DD1/DD2 ______ 155.00mm
  • Clubsport DD/DD+ _____ 163.50mm
  • CSL DD/GT DDpro ______163.50mm
Logitech's Gpro height is 200mm

I think it should be a consideration when is about to be mounted on a cockpit. Unless the user is used in driving with the steering wheel in his/her belly height or even if the screen is mounted very high.

If this one is so tall, a more powerful base will be enormous.......?

I was checking the dimensions of this particular base and it is a big one in terms of height. This might not be a very manageable dimension when mounting.

Just for comparison in terms of height:
  • T248 ___________ 165.40mm
  • T300/tx _________ 178.11mm
  • T818 ____________180.00mm
  • TGT(II) __________193.40mm
  • T500 ____________199.00mm
  • TSPC/TSX ________207.40mm
  • T598 ____________213.00mm (the tallest)
As for Fanatec's bases height:
  • Podium DD1/DD2 ______ 155.00mm
  • Clubsport DD/DD+ _____ 163.50mm
  • CSL DD/GT DDpro ______163.50mm
Logitech's Gpro height is 200mm

I think it should be a consideration when is about to be mounted on a cockpit. Unless the user is used in driving with the steering wheel in his/her belly height or even if the screen is mounted very high.

If this one is so tall, a more powerful base will be enormous.......?
This thing needs shaft extension for proper monitor positioning.

With PSVR2 the height of the wheel, (the tallest at 320mm) won't be a problem. For those using screens it may cause an issue. Depending on the rig, and height of your screen. I predict more PSVR2 purchases to accompany this wheel.

Last edited:
Much more expensive Thrustmaster TGT2 which is £700 to the £450 new T598, does this equate to far less quality in the new kit?
There's less software trickery overall, no rumble speaker specific to GTS/GT7, the rim is simpler (a single push-button "encoder" that has 4 different modes versus 4 rotary encoders, and no joysticks versus two), and the pedal set has one less pedal (though it uses Hall-effect sensors rather than potentiometers). On the other hand, the screen on the base is new.

Ok, so I'm almost ready to pre order this wheel. I recently just had to exchange my Logitech G923 (under warranty) which is literally 1 week old I may sell it on as nearly new and just purchase this new thrustmaster master wheel regardless. Everything I've heard and read so far, sounds like it's a competent addition to the DD market. Maybe I'm being a bit hasty, without any proper reviews of the wheel? It's literally in the basket on thustmasters website. I just need to confirm the order. Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:
The price is crazy, the first DD in the console world at that threshold. Pc had Moza in that price range, bit for console it is a game changer (assuming quality is good, with Thrustmaster we can be optimistic).
Well, actually this is the first one for PlayStation, for Xbox there is already the MOZA R3 (with 3nm of Torque) in this price range.

30cm is larger than average and if the tech is as good as it sounds, 5nm may be enough for most people, especially if it can spike at twice as much or 150% for the more intense feedback.
Sounds pretty compelling, even more so if it's available at Best buy at that price. I wanna know how much just the base will be. Also will this new load cell brake be as good or better than the t-lcm's out of the box., I'm tempted to keep my t-gt wheel and buy a quick release adapter for it.

Latest Posts

Back