Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,620 comments
Are you still switching back and forth between VR and flat? If so, how do the times compare?
I'm only running VR now. I think the lack of real-time time gaps affects the performance but for Eiger I was actually faster in VR than on the other account. My flat screen times were .2 to .3s slower than VR on that track.

For the other TTs I haven't given them much attention yet bar one try and Trial Mountain and Spa are both close to gold so with some work I might get there. The wet RBR I've no chance, but I hate RBR with a vengeance.

I think the lack of real-time time gaps affects the performance.
As someone who has never known real-time gaps, ghosts provide that info for me. I can mostly estimate my sector times down to half a tenth based on my distance to the ghost.
The wet RBR I've no chance, but I hate RBR with a vengeance.
At the risk of annoying some, I do not understand where people see the difficulty in this one 🤣 ... with TC and CSA on, and following a ghost that chooses the right lines, there is no TT in recent memory where I was as consistently fast as in this one.
Sesame Street Idk GIF

+1

Apart from this appaling 917, it's so horrendous in VR, plus the track doesn't help much with the walls, I just don't have the pace, I switched back to 2D for this TT, but everything else, much much better in VR :D
This TT totally sucks in VR. The 2 banked turns.....I couldn't see the exit at all.....nor any usuable markers for acceleration.

Happy with this one. Took about 80km of driving a car I've barely driven, honestly I think the trickiest corner was the exit before the tunnel, that's where I was losing most time (overall, based on my ability and desire to get closer to the walls). Down to a 1:01.6, very happy as I was in the high 1:01s consistently for a while until exiting that corner just clicked.

Leaves more time for me to faff around with the silly rampage monster for the next week. And maybe get some more time in at the RB Ring as no way my current time is safe.

19132b7a2b090-screenshotUrl.jpg

This edition was brought to you by lots of Canadian sponsors:

19132b7c13179-screenshotUrl.jpg

As someone who has never known real-time gaps, ghosts provide that info for me. I can mostly estimate my sector times down to half a tenth based on my distance to the ghost.

At the risk of annoying some, I do not understand where people see the difficulty in this one 🤣 ... with TC and CSA on, and following a ghost that chooses the right lines, there is no TT in recent memory where I was as consistently fast as in this one.
Sesame Street Idk GIF
I never retried the RBR TT with TCS...but I also had quite enough of it, so I probably will just let this one sit.

As for real-time gap, it is immensely useful. Yeah, I can judge the gap between myself and the ghost, but having the real-time gap allow me to know where exactly the gap started. Sometime you don't see the difference until a few seconds later. Really wish they will update the telemetries for VR.....

Last edited:
Keeping the porsche on the outside of the banked turns and away from the walls was tricky, and had to find my own reference points in vr. Invalidated most of laps on last turn. So usualy 2 red laps one white.
1000018963.jpg
1000018966.jpg

Got kicked out of gold at adult spa, so had to come back.. only to find out that after hotfix honda has ffb close to non existent. The wheel was loose in turns, not what I remember from 2 days ago. Anyway improved slightly to get back to gold
1000018965.jpg

As for real-time gap, it is immensely useful. Yeah, I can judge the gap between myself and the ghost, but having the real-time gap allow me to know where exactly the gap started.
That's not quite true in the way lap deltas are shown though.

Consistent peeps can read the entry and exit deltas but the way deltas work, you could see one corner as a negative delta yet the exit and subsequent run up/line are far better for the over all lap time.

You can see this with late braking/going deep your initial delta is positive as your are further down the track, the later delta is negative as your exit was poor etc.

This is the problems with sector to sector deltas because they hide where you need to improve sometimes.

Let's take t1 at RBR you can have an amazing entry delta that you can't hit again but your best lap is actually the slower entry and better exit and that's actually the correct delta for entry but having the positive one makes it hard not to try and hit that every time.

There is a lot of mental stuff tied to deltas as they influence directly or indirectly the driving and mentality of the player. At the sharp end probably less but for everyone else I'd say watch your final lap delta and take sectors as a pinch of salt until you are chasing diminishing returns.

To be fair, Nebu merely said "a dream", so he left the meaning ambiguous. Dreams can be pleasant or a nightmare, after all. ;)
I just did a couple lap while waiting for my lunch to heat up. Got gold second run, though obviously a lot of room for improvement at 2.95% Having done this I am veering toward fever dream. The car is an understeery mess.

Well I'm top of my leaderboard! :D :confused:
IMG_8424.jpeg

I need some VR friends to compete against. If you TT in VR, please friend me on you VR account. My PSN is Normsk_VR. :cheers:

Edit: Youtube finished processing:

This was second run. First run (out lap and fast lap was sub 1:02 but I grazed the wall last corner and invalidated it). This was my second run of out lap and fast lap.

Last edited:
I'm permanently sitting out of all HSR combos, due to the totally unco line needed at turn 2. Track design flaw by PD.
Not a flaw imo, since street cars/cars with low downforce won't be able to pull the same off. You also need to be very precise with this line so it's not like it's easy either.

But High Speed Ring time trials will always suck anyway.

Last edited:
Finally truebrake is in its place, now I'm totally out of synch. 😀
It's not simply different, it's another world.
30 to 80% brake feels really intuitive, full brake requires a good push.
Only 15 mins just to test it, will be probably hard to bronze the current tt until I get used to it

I just did a couple lap while waiting for my lunch to heat up. Got gold second run, though obviously a lot of room for improvement at 2.95% Having done this I am veering toward fever dream. The car is an understeery mess.

Well I'm top of my leaderboard! :D :confused:
View attachment 1379376

I need some VR friends to compete against. If you TT in VR, please friend me on you VR account. My PSN is Normsk_VR. :cheers:

Edit: Youtube finished processing:

This was second run. First run (out lap and fast lap was sub 2:02 but I grazed the wall last corner and invalidated it). This was my second run of out lap and fast lap.

Sent you a request 👍

Was surprised by the Porsche, I think it drives really well. Does it understeer? Yea, but so does every other car in this game and is much less noticeable on this car than many. On the slicks, the car is very predictable.

This one is pretty straight forward, gents. It's like 3.5 braking zones, don't hit the wall, and you're golden. Actually did this one on all four accounts, which I rarely bother unless I am in need of cash (which I don't cuz I only buy race race cars).

01.320 was the lowest time. Good nuff. NEXT!

I had another session while waiting for coffee.. Turned out more difficult than I expected considering I'd had an (invalidated) sub 1:02 before. I was having trouble getting close to my time or I was crashing into the barrier either turn 2 or last. I was really over driving trying to find speed and it does not work.

I finally settled down and got my sub 1:02 with a 1.01.8 optimal.
IMG_8426.jpeg
IMG_8427.jpeg

Last edited:
I was really over driving trying to find speed and it does not work.
I finally settled down and got my sub 1:02 with a 1.01.8 optimal.
Congrats, 1.01.9xx is really an excellent score here 👌 ;) Your first sector is simply impressive :eek:

I guess I have the same issue (over driving this "thing") and very obviously, it doesnt work. AT ALL.
I'll be back at HSR when I'll be zen and relax :sly:

New WR at HSR:

1723149485604.png

Last edited:
Congrats, 1.01.9xx is really an excellent score here 👌 ;) Your first sector is simply impressive :eek:
I found that slaming it into 3rd will cause it to seemingly drop an anchor as you shift from 4th to 3rd. Then instantly shift back to 4th to accelerate out the turn. This seem to help me hit the entry to the banked turn 2 faster.

New WR at HSR:
Well I'm glad a shaved a bit more time off.

Last edited:
I found that slaming it into 3rd will cause it to seemingly drop an anchor as you shift from 4th to 3rd. Then instantly shift back to 4th to accelerate out the turn. This seem to help me hit the entry to the banked turn 2 faster.

Well I'm glad a shaved a bit more time off.
I play in AT mode, so my 917 don't have the same bahaviour.
Yes, we are very close (2;108 / 2,175) and I'll have to work hard now to shave some time to save my gold score.

Dropped out of gold and decided to give the wheel another go. Still mostly spinning out when trying to go fast on twisty tracks, so HSR felt like the perfect track to get comfortable with the new input method. The 917 feels very stable and quite agile compared to the understeer experienced on pad. Pretty stoked of an improvement with wheel over my pad PB by 2/10 after only 10 laps following our good lad's @Tidgney's guide.

Edit: and another 2/10 down from 1:2.050 ;)
20240808_233927.jpg

Last edited:
Back