Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,508 comments
Still wrapping my head around the brakes but I’m going to put a little more time into it today. Not sure if it’s faster to go down into 1st for turn 1 or go through there in 2nd.

Last edited:
I had a, couple free hours yesterday, and since I never do online races on Sunday (too many casuals) I focused on the time trial. I grabbed the Toyota rental and got to work. After about 400kms of trials I managed a solid 1:20:604. I feel like I have more time in turn 4 and the last 2 turns. I feel a 1:20:250 is possible.

Still wrapping my head around the brakes but I’m going to put a little more time into it today. Not sure if it’s faster to go down into 1st for turn 1 or go through there in 2nd.
I go down to 1st gear as I turn in for turn 1 (for more rotation), and then exit on 3rd gear to be more aggressive on the throttle (and less wheelspin). I've seen some exit on 2nd gear, so that works, as well.

Also this Super Formula combo shows how unrealistically OP the downforce in GT7 is. Turn 2 is not flat in real life.

Yeah highdownforce cars are broken in gt7 with exagerated donforce but also try to turn 40 degree in turn 3 as on this video and in gt7 you will lose your rear for some weird reason.

Last edited:
That's a smart way to find number of players! Happy I was quicker than say 3,000 or so!
There's a site online that logged all of these for GTS and I've sent a message to ask if they'll be doing it for GT7.

There were at least 54,000 entrants for the last one at Suzaka. I won't disclose how I know that...... 🤣
I wish they would publish the number of entrants as they used to do (via that site, or KPrime's site); always good to know not only % off 1st, but percentile in the pack. I did a clickthrough just now of the Fuji one (I know, too much time on my hands); 66,500 entrants so far. Makes me feel a bit better about how long it took me to get into gold times!

engines.jpg

I wish they would publish the number of entrants as they used to do (via that site, or KPrime's site); always good to know not only % off 1st, but percentile in the pack. I did a clickthrough just now of the Fuji one (I know, too much time on my hands); 66,500 entrants so far. Makes me feel a bit better about how long it took me to get into gold times!

View attachment 1172105
You can sort of estimate it. If you know your rank and your percentile do RANK / PERCENTILE = TOTAL ENTRANTS

Eg: 1386 / 0.0208 = 66,634

Last edited:
You can sort of estimate it. If you know your rank and your percentile do RANK / PERCENTILE = TOTAL ENTRANTS

Eg: 1386 / 0.0208 = 66,634
Is the 0.0208 how far I am off #1 in percentage terms? If so, I think it is 2.8%, so 0.028. In that case 1386 / 0.028 = 49,500. Not a million miles off; guess it is not a normal distribution.

Or is the 0.0208 something else?

Is the 0.0208 how far I am off #1 in percentage terms? If so, I think it is 2.8%, so 0.028. In that case 1386 / 0.028 = 49,500. Not a million miles off; guess it is not a normal distribution.

Or is the 0.0208 something else?
I'm sorry. I misread what "comparison to world record" meant. I thought it meant your percentile as ranked against all other competitors and not a direct comparison between your best time and the WR time.

The gas/brake clibration for the G29 is huge on the Super Fomula. I had gas set to 5% and any touch is full throttle. Turned it to zero and it's fine.

Last edited:
A couple more tips ive noticed from the top times that i am trying to emulate.. you can abuse the heck out of the curb at the turn 5 hairpin. Go extremely wide before the final turn, clip a late apex,and dont be afraid to aim your car off the track on the opposing end as you exit that final turn. That doesnt appear to give a penalty.

Currently sitting at a 1:22.2, which should hopefully hold up for silver. Unfortunately, I can't see myself getting much closer to the gold time, but I'm having heaps of fun trying.

Had some time yday to do some daily runs and after I hit the daily mileage to get the ticket, I got a 1:22.4. Couldn't pull a single lap without making huge mistakes like going off-track and misdjuging the brakes. That final sector was disastrous every time.
I have to do a lot more mileage on the car to get used to everything about it, especially its downforce.

This was without yet seeing a replay of the top times and without their ghosts. I feel I have about 2 seconds on the plate. Whoever goes below the 1:20s is a real alien though.

That top 1 guy is already on 1:18s... What the hell? Definitely have to see his replay.

Last edited:

View attachment 1172105
I just now realized I'm on that list (Grimm, Portugal), did a slow time on purpose to see how many players will take part on this trial. I saw it at 70k last time I had that time.

Tomorrow will be the day I'll have some actual free time, so I'll post later what I got and try to give some tips to the controller users.

snc
Yeah highdownforce cars are broken in gt7 with exagerated donforce but also try to turn 40 degree in turn 3 as on this video and in gt7 you will lose your rear for some weird reason.
Yes, turning too much in high downforce cars will make you lose the rear for some weird reason. The La Sarthe Circuit Experience with Peugeot 908 LMP1 was notable for this. It's almost impossible to go through the last right hander of the Porsche Curves without using TC/ASM/CSA. It's better after the last major physics update, but if you turn hard enough you can still lose it.

My theory is the exaggerated weight transfer (plus the exaggerated loading from the OP downforce) causes the rear outside corner to bottom out, and it loses/stalls the rear diffuser. Instant zero rear downforce = instant spin.

I'm having a really hard time with that one - quite a bit worse than the Escudo one.

I could get down to 1.21.6x, but T3 (the very long right) is killing me, I spin out 4 times out of 5. And when trying to not turn too much to avoid spinning - then I go too wide at the end of the corner.

I'm on controller and tried a few things (played with controller sensitivity, tried assists) - but no much success, I just spin again and again.
Also checked a few lap guide video but they just get through flat, saying to be careful with input - which I think I am, but maybe it is somehow easier with a wheel.

Feels like if I could consistently get T3 right I would be ultimately able to hit gold, but right now I'm just wasting time redoing the first half of the track again and again :indiff:

Any tip would be much appreciated...

KCR
I'm having a really hard time with that one - quite a bit worse than the Escudo one.

I could get down to 1.21.6x, but T3 (the very long right) is killing me, I spin out 4 times out of 5. And when trying to not turn too much to avoid spinning - then I go too wide at the end of the corner.

I'm on controller and tried a few things (played with controller sensitivity, tried assists) - but no much success, I just spin again and again.
Also checked a few lap guide video but they just get through flat, saying to be careful with input - which I think I am, but maybe it is somehow easier with a wheel.

Feels like if I could consistently get T3 right I would be ultimately able to hit gold, but right now I'm just wasting time redoing the first half of the track again and again :indiff:

Any tip would be much appreciated...
I also had problem going flat out so try to go like literaly 97% of throttle ;)

Back