Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,123 comments
Yes, you defintly right but I've already tried many times to race with MT on the controller, it's not "possible" for my brain.

I'll switch to MT only with a wheel because it will be much more "natural" to me (like IRL).
I realise that also but am not use to it.
Seems that MT gears give a significant advantage at least at TT's with slower cars .
Damn am an old dog to learn new tricks now .
Not to mention that am noway near at lap times switching from AT to MT.

Evening folks!

Quick afternoon VR sesh today and good news! Still no vomcano outcome 😂😂 with time limited before I go away (in fact almost no time left really sadface) I was desperate to set a good time at Fuji and put it to bed.

IMG_4594.jpeg

Mission accomplished and under my target of 1:27.5 too ✅ it felt pretty good but then I checked my friends leaderboard to see @djolliea is still over half a second quicker than me 🫣
IMG_4595.jpeg

New Year’s resolution; stop making Finnish friends 🤪

IMG_4592.jpeg

One thing I did discover, however, is that I'm not braking hard enough, esp. with the wheel. That means I'm braking too soft and also too early, and scrubbing a tonne of time off. It feels unnatural to me, but I'm trying to learn to brake late and brake hard, though it seems to only work well with faster (Gr.3 and above) cars.
This is downforce technique. It doesn't work in cars without notable downforce. With the downforce the tires have tremendous traction available at high speed so you have to brake as hard as humanly possible and as immediate as possible. Assuming you've got ABS turned on you can stay in the brakes as you slow below about 100 mph and downforce bleeds off but if you've got ABS turned off then you'll need to ease off the brakes the slower you get.

In a road car, immediate hard braking can overload the front tires before weight transfer occurs so a slightly slower application with that weight transfer in mind is necessary.

Also I'm convinced that brake bias has been glitched in GT7 since debut. In GTS, moving the brake bias to the rear would help trail braking as you take some load off the front for more cornering grip and reduce rear cornering grip. The opposite is true in GT7. If a car won't trail brake properly you have to move the bias all the way forward. That doesn't make any sense from a traction circle perspective.

Last edited:
I don't understand: I do (almost) the same and I'm (almost) 3 sec slower.... :banghead: :D

More seriously, it's a very very nice lap and 2:41. is really a great score.
Just keep trying, I'm restarting numerous times... And when I watch replay of world leaders, it also looks to me just like my lap, only I'm 3s slower :D
Not a fan of your music :)

But amazing lap mate, you are seriously close to not lifting at eu rouge!

Man the competition here is fun and tough!!!
I really don't know from where that music came from...
I don't like it either.
Thanks for kind words!
Nice lap zaxs, congrats on the 41's 1😁
Looks smooth!, you can indeed win a fair bit of time on T1 with a 3th gear exit, and my feeling is that it a little quicker to to short shift the 4C a bit, around the end of the gear sugestion box.

Nice job!
Thanks!
I'm always switch to 3rd in middle of first corner, this time I just forgot.
And was little frustrated because of lots of unsuccessful tries/retries.

Into the 39's with an imperfect lap. I slightly missed the left hander after Rivage (is that 'No Name' corner?), got a wee bit more sideways at Les Fagnes than I would have liked, and had to pedal it a bit exiting the second part of Stavelot which lost me some time down the long "straight." And surprise! My time put me smack in the middle of @Gomario JSP and @Evilmuffin. Some things never change :P

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

Into the 39's with an imperfect lap. I slightly missed the left hander after Rivage (is that 'No Name' corner?), got a wee bit more sideways at Les Fagnes than I would have liked, and had to pedal it a bit exiting the second part of Stavelot which lost me some time down the long "straight." And surprise! My time put me smack in the middle of @Gomario JSP and @Evilmuffin. Some things never change :P

View attachment 1315149
View attachment 1315150

Lovely smooth lap mate! 🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽

Just a q, are there any parallels between your hand controls on the car in real life and the controls on the PlayStation? Or are they completely different ways of controlling? Which is better??

View attachment 1315149
View attachment 1315150

Smooth lap mate, with some nice throwing action, nice time!
Into the 39' now you can can sleep Peacefully 😁🤣
I had somany better laps with stuffing up the last sector, but ran 500km today for that 39
I just could not tie it together.
I'll give it a day rest and also sleep peacefully 🤣🤣, nice job!

Grabbed some time in the Alfa this afternoon and found just over a third of a second for a 2:41.303. I’m both pretty pleased and displeased at the same time… happy with the improvement but I made a bit of a mess of the bus stop exit and dropped two tenths. Might actually be on for a 2:40.x if I hook everything up, but as someone else said, this is a long lap and there are plenty of opportunities to mess up 😂

Lovely smooth lap mate! 🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽

Just a q, are there any parallels between your hand controls on the car in real life and the controls on the PlayStation? Or are they completely different ways of controlling? Which is better??
Thanks!

My brothers joked that I could probably drive my car with a PS controller, but the controls are very different. This picture is pretty close to my setup. Gas and brake are controlled on the silver thing just to the right of the steering wheel. Push forward to brake, pull back for gas. I've got the spinner knob in the same place on my wheel, too.
hand-controls.jpg

Finding the Spa TT tougher than recent ones. I'm in Gold with a 41.6 after about 100km but that feels so far off the real pace, maybe just maybe I will come back to this one.

Well, I actually did go back for once, and very glad I did! 2.40.7, feels much much better and might even tempt me back for another session. Have an aim to get a top 250 time this year, it's probably a stretch for me but I definitely give up too quickly, I need to invest more time in each TT.

Last edited:
I could probably drive my car with a PS controller
I did drive a car with a PS controller :D

Very fun combo this new one. Spa is such a nice circuit, especially in VR. But man I've wasted many good laps trying to cut just a bit too much, barely brushing those poles along the kerbs. It's like I'm subconsciously trying to take advantage of every inch of the track but the track says no every time. :ouch:

Managed to finish a few good laps without invalidations too. PB currently 2:38.765 but the opt. suggests there's still a couple of tenths to be gained.

Screenshot_2023-12-30-00-25-34-98_fff335ca613a5f557fcea787596aedca.jpg

@Dan_Tes how's the new VR experience? Enjoying it?

Last edited:
Thanks!

My brothers joked that I could probably drive my car with a PS controller, but the controls are very different. This picture is pretty close to my setup. Gas and brake are controlled on the silver thing just to the right of the steering wheel. Push forward to brake, pull back for gas. I've got the spinner knob in the same place on my wheel, too.
hand-controls.jpg
That’s cool! I really want a go, I’ve never driven a speedboat but I imagine this is what a speedboat would be like controls wise!?! 😬
Very fun combo this new one. Spa is such a nice circuit, especially in VR. But man I've wasted many good laps trying to cut just a bit too much, barely brushing those poles along the kerbs. It's like I'm subconsciously trying to take advantage of every inch of the track but the track says no every time. :ouch:

Managed to finish a few good laps without invalidations too. PB currently 2:38.765 but the opt. suggests there's still a couple of tenths to be gained.

View attachment 1315166

@Dan_Tes how's the new VR experience? Enjoying it?

Jesus man! Your pace is insane, I am definitely unfriending you in 2024 🤣🤣🤣 really enjoying VR it really adds a new element, I do miss the loss of fidelity/sharpness as this game looks so gorgeous on an OLED 4K tv but the benefits are probably more profound long term than just a bit of graphical beauty. I definitely think I’m getting more consistent and racing is a lot more fun than without VR! I don’t think I’m quicker yet but I’m certainly not slower! 😁 do you always play in VR now?

First of all, let me say I LOVE GT-R Nismo GT500'16!
How it drives, how it turns, how it sticks to the road and even how it rattles brutally on lifting.
A dream race car for me.
GTRNismoGT500'16@Fuji.jpg

There was no other option than a long first stint with it at Fuji TT.
I drove close to 100 laps and man, I drove my ass off with this car feeling like I nailed solidly most of the corners!
And still I got into gold just barely...
TT-FujiGr2-almost.jpg

There is still margin, the optimal is at 28.4, some tenths can be gained by working longer and harder on it, but it seems like the meta is destroying this beautiful car (as shown on the recently published table by our data miner 👍 ).
To land a higher position worthy of the effort I might have to try this meta car, however heartbreaking it is.

Shouts out to @Nebuc72 and @P-Courty for choosing the GT-R and clocking respectable times with it!

Pretty pleased with my Fuji lap in the NSX... Got comfortably into Gold territory without consulting replays nor following any ghosts, which are things are normally do when in search of a suitable lap time. After 12 laps I finally managed to hook together my best sectors and I was a mere 10th away from my optimal time for the session.

All this after preaching my dislike for Fuji... I guess I'm one step closer to enjoying it!

That’s cool! I really want a go, I’ve never driven a speedboat but I imagine this is what a speedboat would be like controls wise!?! 😬

Jesus man! Your pace is insane, I am definitely unfriending you in 2024 🤣🤣🤣 really enjoying VR it really adds a new element, I do miss the loss of fidelity/sharpness as this game looks so gorgeous on an OLED 4K tv but the benefits are probably more profound long term than just a bit of graphical beauty. I definitely think I’m getting more consistent and racing is a lot more fun than without VR! I don’t think I’m quicker yet but I’m certainly not slower! 😁 do you always play in VR now?
Nice to hear. :) It does take a small hit graphically, but then again, the 3D aspect and the ability to look around naturally bring the image so much more alive that once you get used to it, and once it becomes your "new normal", you won't miss the flat screen image.

I haven't driven a full lap on a flat screen since I got the headset in April. 😁 I was definitely a lot slower at first, and my DR took a massive hit during the first couple of weeks. But once I got past being overly cautious my lap times started improving and pretty soon I was faster than ever. Now driving on a flat screen feels just awkward. 😅

Last edited:
Struggling at Spa. I've never been a big fan of the track but this car is just not my cup o tea. I'm at 42.8xx and I can't do anymore today. I also knocked out about ten circuit experiences this afternoon. All gold. Most pretty high up on my friend leaderboard as well! Feeling accomplished today. Considering I started today with a 45.2 and no chance at bettering it without a lot of laps I'm glad to be close but it's going to be tough for me. Not a feeling I've had in a while and it's frustrating.

Struggling at Spa. I've never been a big fan of the track but this car is just not my cup o tea. I'm at 42.8xx and I can't do anymore today. I also knocked out about ten circuit experiences this afternoon. All gold. Most pretty high up on my friend leaderboard as well! Feeling accomplished today. Considering I started today with a 45.2 and no chance at bettering it without a lot of laps I'm glad to be close but it's going to be tough for me. Not a feeling I've had in a while and it's frustrating.
You are almost there. Just work on 1 or 2 corners and you will get inside the gold zone.

While I am very happy with my PB at Fuji (only around half a second off my first gold but struggling to find it!), it's back to my usual showing at Spa. I am a full 13 seconds off the leader with a 2:51. Where on earth do they find all that time??? I've watched the how-to videos and tried to follow a ghost for as long as I can .... but it just isn't working here! 😂

Aww, the Christmas Tree music has gone....

Last edited:
While I am very happy with my PB at Fuji (only around half a second off my first gold but struggling to find it!), it's back to my usual showing at Spa. I am a full 13 seconds off the leader with a 2:51. Where on earth do they find all that time??? I've watched the how-to videos and tried to follow a ghost for as long as I can .... but it just isn't working here! 😂

Aww, the Christmas Tree music has gone....
You can be pretty aggressive with the throttle here. Light weight car, mid engine, SM tires ...just put the pedal to the metal.

Finally got to take a few laps around Spa this evening. Had some nice time off from work and spent a lot of time starting my UK account as well as practicing for Manu round one tomorrow.

First session without a guide or replay I mustered a 1:45.7 and then watched @Metalgear9493 (thank you 🙏) replay for how far to rev and which gears I could strive for and loaded up his ghost.

After following his ghost for about 5 laps I dropped into gold 😁 and very pleased.

I think sector 2 is the biggest pickup I need to reduce further but would appreciate any feedback.
🍻

IMG_6354.jpeg
IMG_6355.jpeg

Wow, I missed a lot of posts, was busy Thursday and Friday, getting ready for my doctor appointment, and then going Friday at around 2:30pm. It was packed with 30-40 patients. Well I am going to work on Fuji tonight when I get up. I need about a 5-6 hour nap. I'm going to eat in a while, and then I'm hitting the sack.

The TT ends Thursday so I need to use all the things I've learned from the Fuji CE and put in a super lap here!

Guys, I did it.
While my girlfriend was packing boxes for the move, I sneaked into my Simrig and returned to Spa.
I actually managed a 2:38.957.
I'm totally happy with that, still not perfect but satisfactory.

View attachment 1315188
Congrats!, insane.
This guy casually sets a 38 between while moving 🤣
No idea how to find a whole second.

I have Spa rest today, to many km's yesterday 🙈

@Evilmuffin what a surprising leaderboard this morning.....🤣🤣 3....2....1..... 💩
Nice job mate, I'll try to uppen my place on the board again in a few days 😁

Back