Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,125 comments
Considering I started today with a 45.2 and no chance at bettering it without a lot of laps I'm glad to be close but it's going to be tough for me. Not a feeling I've had in a while and it's frustrating.
I feel your pain! Given my recent results and the fact that this TT is considered relatively easy by many here I hoped to achieve gold in the first or second session, then improve on it later, but Spa has taught me some humility :) ... when I did get a valid lap in, it was in the 2:45 region. It took three sessions to even come close, then yesterday I finally dipped into gold, but it's a flaky one.

1703923899598.png

People I usually compete with on my friends list are a second or more faster than me, and I don't know where I lose my pace, maybe you guys spot something:

I think I will return to Fuji next, which was much more kind to me. Maybe I can even get into the top 1,000 🤞...

I feel your pain! Given my recent results and the fact that this TT is considered relatively easy by many here I hoped to achieve gold in the first or second session, then improve on it later, but Spa has taught me some humility :) ... when I did get a valid lap in, it was in the 2:45 region. It took three sessions to even come close, then yesterday I finally dipped into gold, but it's a flaky one.

View attachment 1315258

People I usually compete with on my friends list are a second or more faster than me, and I don't know where I lose my pace, maybe you guys spot something:

I think I will return to Fuji next, which was much more kind to me. Maybe I can even get into the top 1,000 🤞...

Watching your lap, it really demonstrates how tiny margins make a big difference to overall time. It's a great lap, looks very similar to mine on the surface, hard for me to see where you lose the time (I have a 40.7). Some small things I did notice: you can pretty much take Eau Rouge/Raidillon flat with the right line, you've definitely left some time round Pouhon, you've got a lot of track to your right on exit so you should be able to get the power down earlier. You can probably get slightly tighter to the apex on a couple of corners as well, although obviously you dance with the bollard devils then. Good lap though from where I'm sitting!

Finally got to take a few laps around Spa this evening. Had some nice time off from work and spent a lot of time starting my UK account as well as practicing for Manu round one tomorrow.

First session without a guide or replay I mustered a 1:45.7 and then watched @Metalgear9493 (thank you 🙏) replay for how far to rev and which gears I could strive for and loaded up his ghost.

After following his ghost for about 5 laps I dropped into gold 😁 and very pleased.

I think sector 2 is the biggest pickup I need to reduce further but would appreciate any feedback.
🍻

View attachment 1315245View attachment 1315246

While there are a lot of time to gain in sector 2 (don't we all?) There is an easy 1/2 a second to be have in sector one.

Turn 1, you weren't using the whole track. Get the car as far to the left as possible...and don't start to turn in that early, or you ended up pinching yourself and not having enough room for a proper exit. You can also cut the corner more. As long as you don't hit the wall, your lap is good.

When going uphill at Eau Rouge, there is no need to lift that much for that long. If the line is right, a 75-80% lift will get you through no problem. There is also no need to get on the grass, just the right wheels on the curb is enough. Sometime if you go too far to the right, the left wheels get on the curb and it will bounce the car to the left and you will have to fight the car at Raidilon.

A 45.3 should be fairly easy to do, and 45.0 if you do everything right. The Aliens are in the 44.7s.

Sector 2, no name corner is a killer. I only managed to get it sorta right a handful of times. You sorta have to brake a bit earlier and turn in ealier.

Sector 3, again..use the whole track. Get the car as far to the left as you can before the chicane.

Last edited:

View attachment 1315258

Honestly it's a very good lap! And as @PlanetJanet already pointed out we are talking about very small margin. In my humble opinion, I can give advice to you and others that are chasing a second, very important here is racing line and to start acceleration as early as possible out of the corner. This advice is of course valid for every track but I find it extra important in Spa since Spa has a lot of long straight and I think there is chance to win time in those corners, early acceleration. You do have good racing line.
So in your case, I think you are lifting off a bit too much/or too long, try to lift off 50% and for shorter time as well, it's doable and I think you will gain a second in total of your lap time in these 3 corners.
1000017626.png
1000017627.png
1000017628.png

@Pesselles have you seen these, maybe this might work if you find X and square difficult for Manual transmission?

1000017629.png

@djolliea and @Dan_Tes how long can you play with VR? Per day or session? I read it's amazing but also some "sea sickness" too?

@Pesselles have you seen these, maybe this might work if you find X and square difficult for Manual transmission?

View attachment 1315281

@djolliea and @Dan_Tes how long can you play with VR? Per day or session? I read it's amazing but also some "sea sickness" too?
It seems to differ a lot per person and even game, in GT7 I can be in the VR non stop for 5-6 hours without a trace of sickness, different story with some other VR games!

You will get used to it. In the beginning, I barely lasted 5 mins before I had to stop. Now I don't feel any motion sickness at all. My eyes still get tire, but I can usually play for an hr or 2 before that happens.

Hi everyone :)

Far from the aliens, from the big boys and from some "friends" here, I've slightly improved my very modest time on Spa: 2:43.814 (the replay is available in game)

Slightly because I've only gained 0.4 secs on my previous PB but it's a very satisfying score as it's the first time I score under 2:44 on this damned TT.

Sector 1: 0:45.935
My first braking point at La Source is not optimal yet (one in two, I'm away from the apex). Eau Rouge and the raidillon are mainly ok (195 - 200 km/h/) and I arrive at Les Combes around 230 km/h. Under 0:46 is clearly not perfect but I know it.

Sector 2: 1:14.646
Here begins my slow descent into Hell. I know every turns, I know the braking points but from Pouhon to Stavelot, I'm unable to drive relax and smooth. I "fight" with the car on every turn. Very frustrating and very tiring.

Sector 3: 0:43.233
Blanchimont is almost clean (around 195 to 200 km/h) and the bus stop is also "correct" (I mean, no invalidation lap here). I know it's not perfect but as long I don't turns my lap in red here, I'm ok.

I still need to gain 1.5 sec for a secured gold... Such gap sounds like go for a trek on the Everest Mount with socks. It s*cks.

View attachment 1315281
Nooo, didn't knew about this. I'll have a look after lunch.
Tak for the info :)

Last edited:
Didn't knew about this. I'll have a look after lunch.
Tak for the info :)
I have posted about triggers a few times in the past, here's my post with some handy tips if you decide to get them 👍🏻

On another note, I took to Fuji with the NSX and really didn't get on with it (I didn't like it at Suzuka a long time ago either).

Improved a little but not enough for me to justify uploading the reply, although I am short sighted and usually wear contact lenses or glasses and didn't have any of these on/in this morning so was a little blurry eyed 😂

There is more time in there but I just can't put it all together without hitting the bollard on the second to last turn each time.

18cbac02b300-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_436208526281241_1703939555786.jpg

18cbac0380336-96b5C9D7D20689ADD60.78214389268DE75F_message_436208528746679_1703939565416.jpg

Gave the Alfa a go, about 30 miles of completely hating it, setting red laps of 2.45 down to 2.43 but just not enough for gold. Didn't complete one clean lap so haven't placed a time on the board, not sure if I am going to give it another shot with my eyes back in 🤓 we'll see...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips @Barareklam, really appreciate it!
Sector 2: 1:14.646
Here begins my slow descent into Hell. I know every turns, I know the braking points but from Pouhon to Stavelot, I'm unable to drive relax and smooth. I "fight" with the car on every turn. Very frustrating and very tiring.
One thing I have noticed repeatedly is that after a long struggle to get gold, once I break that barrier, I can often immediately replicate and even improve my time. I think this is because my state of mind changes, I am more at peace and drive more relaxed. I have yet to find out how to put myself in this state before I get gold though ;)
I still need to gain 1.5 sec for a secured gold... Such gap sounds like go for a trek on the Everest Mount with socks. It s*cks.
I thought the same, you got this!

Into the 39's with an imperfect lap. I slightly missed the left hander after Rivage (is that 'No Name' corner?), got a wee bit more sideways at Les Fagnes than I would have liked, and had to pedal it a bit exiting the second part of Stavelot which lost me some time down the long "straight." And surprise! My time put me smack in the middle of @Gomario JSP and @Evilmuffin. Some things never change :P

View attachment 1315149
View attachment 1315150

I don't care how fast these kids get, I'm not spoofing the game with this downshift technique. It's cheating. The game needs to be patched to punish over-revs as a driver would discover in real life.

I don't care how fast these kids get, I'm not spoofing the game with this downshift technique. It's cheating.
You might not like it, but it's not cheating.
The game needs to be patched to punish over-revs as a driver would discover in real life.
I agree with this. They just need to implement what ACC does where if a downshift would blow the engine it just won't downshift. No need for punishing anyone.

In other news I finally broke into the 1:39's with a 1:39.995 There's more in there but I'm not sure how motivated I am now that I achieved the 39 goal. Enjoyed this TT more than most although my 4C likely needs a new gearbox/engine now 😅

I don't care how fast these kids get, I'm not spoofing the game with this downshift technique. It's cheating. The game needs to be patched to punish over-revs as a driver would discover in real life.
It's not cheating, it's just using the car they give you. It can do this, although in real life the syncro and clutch are dying and the rear diff probably locking at that point.

Its a little bit exaggerated in the game in the way it shows the over rev as in reality no drive is being fed to the wheels in modern cars just the fuelling is being so retarded to try and match the gear selection. In the game it works not because of engine destroying but that the game translates this to direct engine braking which is the resistive part of the engine vs drive train. Not a lot of modern cars will let this happen, they will let you change gear but most can manage the throttle (fuelling, air, drive and clutch) but most performance stuff won't allow the over rev or appearance of it.

IIRC the 4C is a dual clutch box so you can keep hacking those gears down but it's going to slot them one by one when it can match the syncro.

With regards to cheating or punishing people. You need to be a bit real here.

If it was my own personal 70k car I wouldn't do it (nor would I put such poor tires on it :/ ) this is a game, we all have the same game in front of us. Some play the game better, some play the game more or less realistically but it's a game and we all have the same one to learn and play.

When I'm sitting looking at a TV and console and a fake wheel and pedals I definitely suspend my belief of it being nothing more than a game.

18cbb7fae2d7-screenshotUrl.jpg

Not as fast as most of you in here but better than it was last night. All of a sudden I figured out somewhat how to drive this thing. It's not so bad but it just feels inconsistent still. It was a lucky lap but I certainly could get more. I had a delta where I was up .75 over this lap before I binned it.

Thanks dude. I guess we are only as good as the company we keep and my view of what's good or not is slightly skewed because of this place...🤯🍻🍻
Very much this. The average pace on this place is nuts, to the point where you still feel slightly inadequate even if you get a time within 2% of the world record. A bit of perspective is useful I think: a bronze time is decent, a silver time is fast and any gold time at all is properly fast, never forget it!

Very much this. The average pace on this place is nuts, to the point where you still feel slightly inadequate even if you get a time within 2% of the world record. A bit of perspective is useful I think: a bronze time is decent, a silver time is fast and any gold time at all is properly fast, never forget it!
I have only recently figured out what it takes to gold these consistently. I've played this game since release day of the original GT but never really did much other than win what I could and pay Argy bargy with the AI. Internet didn't exist in my rural area until 4 years ago so anything online before that was off limits... long story short, I had the skills but never the reason to hone them. This place has changed that. Now if I can't get a second below the gold time I feel severely lacking. It's a good thing. Keeps me sharp.

Last edited:
So I did one lap that wasn't invalidated at 1:43.160 I just can't keep this 4C planted at all.

Sometimes I'm flying past the 0.4sec ahead ghost up the first hill making great time, then I lose it all after the hairpin.

I've spent about 1hr in total with this car and I just can't be consistent at all 😔

Last edited:
So I did one lap that wasn't invalidated at 1:43.160 I just can't keep this 4C planted at all.

Sometimes I'm flying past the 0.4sec ahead ghost up the first hill makong great time, then I lose it all after the hairpin.

I've spent about 1hr in total with this car and I jist can't be consistent at all 😔
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean...

I've been experiencing exactly this for two days, like Groundhog Day...

Bill Murray Movie GIF by Hollywood Suite

Sometimes I'm flying past the 0.4sec ahead ghost up the first hill makong great time, then I lose it all after the hairpin.

I've spent about 1hr in total with this car and I jist can't be consistent at all 😔
It's all mechanical grip with this car. It rolls better through a corner. Easy inputs with brakes and acceleration and less easy with the steering but still trying to keep it from wagging or washing at the limit is the fastest way. It's twitchy.

Also, turn off ASM. That gained me an immediate second when I did. Countersteer assist off as well.

Last edited:
Hi,

@Gogga... "I love Spa. It's one of my all time favorite tracks." I think that helps a lot when it comes to registering a time. If you love the place, you get a good time. If you hate the place....

I really do love Fuji. I registered a gold time quite early on and I intend to spend more time there to improve.

I really love Spa - I just haven't mastered this car / track combination yet. That said... I have installed my new load cell pedals here. The rest of the kit is still en route. The load cell has taken two seconds off my time!!! Really? Is this a combination of me learning and the pedals "helping"?

On a side note - For those, like me, trying to find an "achievable" time ghost to chase - I found one today. Start your search on page 22 (Placed 2200) there is one there. It has helped me greatly today!!!

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

Back