Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,865 comments
Having given up on Autopolis (couldn’t quite crack into the 1:53’s) I went and finished the CE for Bathurst this morning, as I’ve probably only done about ten laps there in my life.

This afternoon I ran the TT in the Genesis and somehow I managed to grab a relatively safe gold in the low 2:01’s. Wasn’t expecting that.

Goal for this one is to crack 2:00. Should be fun, this track rips.
I enjoyed it when I couldn't get around it. Now that I've got more time in it I really love it. Especially with RS tires. What a difference from the normal PD slip fest...

Finally got inside of the 2mins mark. Optimal was in the 1:59.7s

Such a lousy 1st sector...I almost restarted it 🤧
View attachment 1327994

In PSVR2. Ghost was from Tidg.

It's funny how much this happens to me. My last 3 PBs were all completed with a terrible 1st sector.

If you can allow me to point out one thing. In the penultimate corner, you are losing a lot of time. My preferred way to do it is hit the curb while turning left and just point the car towards the apex while shifting straight to 3rd and applying full throttle straight away. The tires can handle it believe me.

I use Tidgney's ghost and I never lose time there compared to him.

Last edited:
Hi @Evilmuffin , I go back to the advice you gave me yesterday about using downshifting to add extra rotation.
I will preface this by saying that I did not drive yesterday, but just watched your replay.
When I read your words I thought you meant to use extra downshifting at the right time, just before the center of the corner, to induce a transfer on the front end and accentuate the rotation, instead I see from your replay that you never do that (at least not here), but rather throw down the extra gear quickly to add extra braking.
Sorry if I'm being silly, I'm just trying to understand....
Is the way I incorrectly understood a viable, but less renumerative technique to use here, or is it just not a thing to do?
"Your" way I have tried it on a few occasions and struggled a lot because I found that I was relying a lot of my timing on the noise of the motor, which when scaling so aggressively instead hangs up and sends me out of sync. Is this something that used to happen to you and then you got over it, or have you never seen it as a problem?

Thank you

zjn
Hi @Evilmuffin , I go back to the advice you gave me yesterday about using downshifting to add extra rotation.
I will preface this by saying that I did not drive yesterday, but just watched your replay.
When I read your words I thought you meant to use extra downshifting at the right time, just before the center of the corner, to induce a transfer on the front end and accentuate the rotation, instead I see from your replay that you never do that (at least not here), but rather throw down the extra gear quickly to add extra braking.
Sorry if I'm being silly, I'm just trying to understand....
Is the way I incorrectly understood a viable, but less renumerative technique to use here, or is it just not a thing to do?
"Your" way I have tried it on a few occasions and struggled a lot because I found that I was relying a lot of my timing on the noise of the motor, which when scaling so aggressively instead hangs up and sends me out of sync. Is this something that used to happen to you and then you got over it, or have you never seen it as a problem?

Thank you
By shifting to lower gear, you are adding additional engine braking to the drive wheels. Since we are driving mostly RWD cars here it basically increase the braking force for the rear wheels. This will shift the car's balance toward the oversteer side....thus helping the car to rotate. Personally I like to have the car rotate more during the entry phase of the corner....the more I can get the rotation done early (within the car's limit), the less I have to do at the apex.

And yes, I play the downshift mostly by ears. Majority of the time, you don't really want to exit the corner in 1st gear unless you are talking about a really really slow corner. For this TT, as soon as I'm ready to add power, I upshift to 2nd. I don't want to deal with the engine bouncing off the limiter and the upshift when I'm busy adjusting my steering for the exit.

I enjoyed it when I couldn't get around it. Now that I've got more time in it I really love it. Especially with RS tires. What a difference from the normal PD slip fest...
Yeah, it’s growing on me! Such a great sense of speed and the need for precision really gets you into a flow state.

Still, I can’t comprehend how real human beings manage to get round this track alive. Those V8 Supercars guys are the real aliens.

Yeah, it’s growing on me! Such a great sense of speed and the need for precision really gets you into a flow state.

Still, I can’t comprehend how real human beings manage to get round this track alive. Those V8 Supercars guys are the real aliens.
I would love a shot at it. Now I've never been on a track and I've never driven a track prepped car... but hell to the yes to trying there. I don't think there could be a better rush (well maybe a snow rally stage high in the Alps.)

I got 13 hours to make a move at AP. So, like the limbo song implies, how low can you go? My goal is to get in a 1'55 club, maybe even the 1'54 club, but that's a big if. I already know where my weak and strong points are on the track. So, let's go! Let's make this a Valentine's day miracle, by earning gold! In the 3% range.

Last edited:
I got 13 hours to make a move at AP. So, like the limbo song implies, how low can you go? My goal is to get in a 1'55 club, maybe even the 1'54 club, but that's a big if. I already know where my weak and strong points are on the track. So, let's go! Let's make this a Valentine's day miracle, by earning gold! In the 3% range.
I just barely made a gold time last night, and I mean barely.. 😅

Final try at Autopololis. My aim was to get into the 1:54s.
Really didn't gel with this one.
@Pesselles what's the chances that I matched your time! Left it at that.
Hope we get something wild for the new tt. Something like a Hellcat on sports hards at the Nordschleife 😁

18da915217921-screenshotUrl.jpg

18da9146eb221-screenshotUrl.jpg

Hope we get something wild for the new tt. Something like a Hellcat on sports hards at the Nordschleife 😁

View attachment 1328169

View attachment 1328170
So you jumped over me :D
Congrats, great time.

I wasn't paying attention to Autopolis anymore when Bathurst came, I'm having big battle there...

View attachment 1328169

View attachment 1328170
Congrats Mr Gogga, I'm proud to share this score with a great (better) player :)

Oh dear ... My 2:01.709 is at risk!:nervous:

I would like to move on from this one, but I never jumped in the Meta Genesis. So maybe if I need to, it'll do better than the McLaren F1 GTR.
I gave it about 15-20 minutes on Sunday, and got within .75 seconds of the gold in my Ferrari. My goal is to get the gold in my 458, then get a time that will stick in a faster car. Probably the Porsche or something

So you jumped over me :D
Congrats, great time.

I wasn't paying attention to Autopolis anymore when Bathurst came, I'm having big battle there...

Thanks! Just by the slightest of margins! I did the same, I'm really enjoying Bathurst. Wasn't a fan of the Autpolis one. Decided just to give it one last go before the end.

Oh dear ... My 2:01.709 is at risk!:nervous:

I would like to move on from this one, but I never jumped in the Meta Genesis. So maybe if I need to, it'll do better than the McLaren F1 GTR.

The guys at the top are really something else and they just getting faster.

Hats off to anyone with a sub 2 min lap. Balls of steel right there!

I started with the 911. Most comfortable Gr3 for me. I could not make gold with it. Switched to the Genesis. It's a dream to drive. I have never driven it prior to this.
Give it a go. It's a great drive.

Congrats Mr Gogga, I'm proud to share this score with a great (better) player :)

Thanks! Nothing great here. We are on par!
I think it's this thread and all the wonderful souls right here that make us all better players. It's really nice being part of some friendly competition.

Last edited:
I just barely made a gold time last night, and I mean barely.. 😅
Well I honestly don't know if I'll achieve the gold time or not, it's so late now. I guess we will see what happens later, but I will get 1M if I don't which is fine with me. I'm still not executing a good line at T1 to get a high exit speed. See it takes a lot of time to improve greatly on a track like this.

Last edited:
Well I honestly don't know if I'll achieve the gold time or not, it's so late now. I guess we will see what happens later, but I will get 1M if I don't which is fine with me. I'm still not executing a good line at T1 to get a high exit speed. See it takes a lot of time to improve greatly on a track like this.
If memory serves me right, there's an orange mark on the guard rail on your left. That should be your breaking marker. Starting hitting the break just before it, get down to 3rd gear and turn right. Hug the curb on T1, don't ride over it.

As time passes by, you'll start breaking more and more closer to the said orange marker. Even a little bit after. Meaning, do it a couple times in a conservative/easy way and then try it faster/harder. Get to know the limits of the "breaking/downshifting/turning" manouver. If that makes sense.

Also as a TT, you gotta hit the final turn as good as it gets and carry as much speed as you can into the straight line and open your lap at optimal speed. That also can make a difference.

Some cars will get you to the breaking marker on 6th, some cars on 5th. Time your downshifts in order to not ruin either the braking or the turning. Break balance is avaiable in the TT? If so, you may wanna try moving it "front -3". It helps turning.

I'm an average silver driver, faster drivers here can add or correct me. But after all, those advices are the insights that work for me.

Last edited:
If memory serves me right, there's an orange mark on the guard rail on your left. That should be your breaking marker. Starting hitting the break just before it, get down to 3rd gear and turn right. Hug the curb on T1, don't ride over it.

As time passes by, you'll start breaking more and more closer to the said orange marker. Even a little bit after. Meaning, do it a couple times in a conservative/easy way and then try it faster/harder. Get to know the limits of the "breaking/downshifting/turning" manouver. If that makes sense.

Also as a TT, you gotta hit the final turn as good as it gets and carry as much speed as you can into the straight line and open your lap at optimal speed. That also can make a difference.

Some cars will get you to the breaking marker on 6th, some cars on 5th. Time your downshifts in order to not ruin either the braking or the turning. Break balance is avaiable in the TT? If so, you may wanna try moving it "front -3". It helps turning.

I'm an average silver driver, faster drivers here can add or correct me. But after all, those advices are the insights that work for me.
Markers are key but the thing that helped me grow into gold was the trail braking. That's the biggest time gainer after using MT. You can utterly flub a corner as far as the apex goes and if you can still maintain your speed through a weird line trail braking, you lose so much less. It works. Finding that limit of grip and understanding what inputs keep it are the key to fast. I have moments of brilliance and many many long slogs where I can't tie it all together. Practice practice practice. That's the key.

Yeah I really need to start doing these a week in advance because I know where the red marker is on the left of the rail, it's just that I normally misjudge when to brake and to use what number setting in the gears.

I guess I'll keep tweaking things, I can work it out, thanks!!

Markers are key but the thing that helped me grow into gold was the trail braking. That's the biggest time gainer after using MT. You can utterly flub a corner as far as the apex goes and if you can still maintain your speed through a weird line trail braking, you lose so much less. It works. Finding that limit of grip and understanding what inputs keep it are the key to fast. I have moments of brilliance and many many long slogs where I can't tie it all together. Practice practice practice. That's the key.
Totally agree! Trail braking is an art! 😂 And I'm an amateur artist!😂 Jokes aside, when you mentioned trail braking the first thing it comes to my memory is the current TT at Mount Panorama and the Nurb GP one with the RX8. Those were/are good trail braking testers.
Yeah I really need to start doing these a week in advance because I know where the red marker is on the left of the rail, it's just that I normally misjudge when to brake and to use what number setting in the gears.

I guess I'll keep tweaking things, I can work it out, thanks!!
Take your time, my friend. That's a line that fits in any type of activity.

Some players here are more seasoned and get the fast lines quickly, others may need more time. Some like to drive 101% on TTs since day one, while there are others that start driving easy and then slowly but surely keep adding more and more speed untill they find time and their limit and reach gold. Some may get whatever objective they have and then leave the TT right away. It all come down to each individual player.

Last edited:
Last night was not my night at MP. I think you could have put a kangaroo in my Genesis and it would have performed just as well as I did. Question is...do I want to make one last attempt at Autopolis (where it's unlikely I'll actually gain any time)? Or do I want to lap some more at Bathurst (where it's unlikely I'll gain time if I find myself still flustered from yesterday's performance)?

Last night was not my night at MP. I think you could have put a kangaroo in my Genesis and it would have performed just as well as I did. Question is...do I want to make one last attempt at Autopolis (where it's unlikely I'll actually gain any time)? Or do I want to lap some more at Bathurst (where it's unlikely I'll gain time if I find myself still flustered from yesterday's performance)?
I'd say it depends. If you have a safe time at Autopolis within you goals (gold or silver) I'd leave it there. I think it's highly unlikely that the timecuts will change now. Since last november I think only the Trial Mountain/Supra GT500 combo had a change in the time table at the day before its end.

Last edited:
FWIW...I think MP is not an easy track for controller players. The steering precision for the uphill and the downhill section is very high....and you really have to be able to feel the what the front wheels are doing to get the line right.

For this TT I really do have an equipment advantage over you and @Gomario JSP .

Last edited:
Some players here are more seasoned and get the fast lines quickly, others may need more time. Some like to drive 101% on TTs since day one, while there are others that start driving easy and then slowly but surely keep adding more and more speed untill they find time and their limit and reach gold. Some may get whatever objective they have and then leave the TT right away. It all come down to each individual player.
Then there is one player here who would just start TT on last evening and casually get a top 100 time, right @NAXEHT? 🥲

I was noticing that in my last stint. Next time I get in the car I'm going to focus on that aspect and see if that can get me down in to the 2:00s

Autopolis gold time moved a little tonight - new WR in a Citroen, nice!
Strange to see no Ferrari in top 100 as it seems all around the best car on this track at least in my hands...

Good hunt in the last hours:
TT-AutopolisGr4-almost2.jpg

The optimal stayed pretty much the same (54.3ish - not even to challenge my friend Jerome), but I nailed few corners much better this time.
Being under 2% is satisfying enough and I'm very content with this result.

TT-AutopolisGr4-lapch.jpg

Autopolis looked like it could be an easier one, so I hopped on to do my traditional invalidated controller sighter laps - to see if it's worth trying and if I need to use the wheel.

Optimal was close enough to gold so I carried on and got 1'55.6 on lap four and 1'55.3 on lap six. On the pad with the Mazda3 :lol:

Probably safe, so off to bed I go!

Then there is one player here who would just start TT on last evening and casually get a top 100 time, right @NAXEHT? 🥲
Haha, that depends a lot on the combination. Certainly not in Gr.4.

18daa3f0e4025-screenshotUrl.png

"Casually", well it's not like the time appears out of nowhere in a few minutes, I usually spend a few hours but prefer to not put more than two evenings into it and also prefer to do my attempts as things have settled and it's ending.

See you next week at Bathurst. ;) Great track with fun cars on quick tyres, sounds promising.

FWIW...I think MP is not an easy track for controller players. The steering precision for the uphill and the downhill section is very high....and you really have to be able to feel the what the front wheels are doing to get the line right.

For this TT I really do have an equipment advantage over you and @Gomario JSP .
The steering is easy. It's the throttle control that's hard.

Back