Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,573 comments
I know that I can be faster but I have zero motivation to try. Hats off to you for being able to tie all your fastest sectors together.

There is time in the lap for me as my fastest lap is not made up of my fastest sector 1. I have also been faster through 130R, but that's a gamble.
Sector 1 is very tricky as I find it difficult to be consistent through the S Curves. Higher gears work better for me. At one stage I was even using 5th gear through there.

I know all to well what you mean about the gentle right foot. Endless laps spinning out. To keep my sanity, I resorted to TC1 and CSA strong.
Those crazy lap times using zero assists on this one really blow my mind! Definately not from this planet.
I wasn't using TCS but I can't remember what assists I did use. I think just CSA or just ASM but not both. Literally use a half the throttle position until you are perfectly planted after exit. Pretend the throttle only has half travel. You'll be so much faster. Sounds dumb. It worked.

Curious to know if CSA will have any effect on lap times with the wheel
I suspect it does. I did a few laps last night - no spectacular time - but realised at the end I still had CSA from replicating the @Dan_Tes cheat mode at Fuji. I switched it off and did maybe three more laps (although to be fair, my mind had sort of switched off GT7 mode by this point) and only got 0.3 off my best. Worth a go anyway.

Last edited:
First test in Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta and get gold in 1'26'232 with optimal time at 1'26'189

17129141160812626222211791501837.jpg

Finally it's nice to see normal cars again !!!!

I wasn't using TCS but I can't remember what assists I did use. I think just CSA or just ASM but not both. Literally use a half the throttle position until you are perfectly planted after exit. Pretend the throttle only has half travel. You'll be so much faster. Sounds dumb. It worked.
Makes sense. I will try and be easier on the throttle.
With TC 1, you can floor it and it saves you to a point.
I suspect it does. I did a few laps last night - no spectacular time - but realised at the end I still had CSA from replicating the @Dan_Tes cheat mode at Fuji. I switched it off and did maybe three more laps (although to be fair, my mind had sort of switched off GT7 mode by this point) and only got 0.3 off my best. Worth a go anyway.
Thank you for the confirmation.
I will have a go with my wheel over this weekend. Will start initially with it off, but if I cant match/beat my Dualsense time, I am going to play around with CSA.

Makes sense. I will try and be easier on the throttle.
With TC 1, you can floor it and it saves you to a point.

Thank you for the confirmation.
I will have a go with my wheel over this weekend. Will start initially with it off, but if I cant match/beat my Dualsense time, I am going to play around with CSA.
I could consistently get right to the cusp of gold with TCS. It really hinders this car a ton (at least the way I drive) and I found very early that 0 TCS was fastest no matter what else I did with the car so I figured out how to sort of get around with it that way and just kept trying things. It took me a lot longer than it takes most people, but I'm happy that I found the method without any real help other than chasing a ghost. I know I'm far from fast but just golding this one seemed like a monumental challenge for a minute there.

I didn't realize you played with controller as well. Much respect. I tried the other day after having the wheel for 6 months or so and couldn't even get around the track. I'm not built for controllers. The older I get the worse it gets. 😂😂

Morning everybody!! It’s nice to have peace in the thread, a trial almost everybody likes on a sensible track in a fun car (that is awesome in VR) and for me FINALLY A CAR WITH A WELL MATCHED TYRE CHOICE!! Actually I think the last three trials have had cars with the right tyres for the car so if nothing else, well done PD for finally getting that bit right. I tried a few sighter laps in the X-Bow and it felt like a lot of fun but got a bit too greedy in the chicane and spun out every time 🤣

But my focus is Suzuka as I’m going away tonight and won’t be back for 10 days so this is my last chance to set a solid lap. I’m not gonna lie I actually enjoy it a bit 💀 wrestling the beast without any assists is very rewarding when it comes off and yeah we’ll just ignore the frustration of spinning out so often and every which way 😂

Into the 1:37s last night and I feel like I can still go faster; it’s another trial that will probably reward anyone who have patience with it. I still find it a struggle to get to the start line most laps though 👀😆

IMG_6411.jpeg

IMG_6410.jpeg

Trail braking is key with this car and a higher gear on exit than you think helps as well in most cases. It's such a light car that what you lose on initial acceleration in the higher gear, you get back on the long end.

Try some assists if you are having a hard time keeping the rear end behind you. CSA and ASM have been helpful with certain cars lately. This one may like the assists as well. Modern cars are built to use them, even on track.
Thank you so much for your tips!
I'll check some replays and hopefully sort out my shifting behaviour.
Trail breaking is still a "work in progress" for me. Got my wheel now for about 2 months, but the right amount of breaking is maybe the biggest of my issues.
With adding driver aids i'll wait till all hope is gone :crazy:

First, congrats to all players who are already in yellow territory in Atlanta. Hats off guys!!

Despite the fun, no improvement for me this morning, except...

1712916374855.png

After excellent 1st (32.489) and 2nd sector (31.959), I've completely missed the last chicane (10a & 10b) and that cost me the gold... :banghead:

But this morning session confirmed me what our scientists say on Youtube, it's much easier to find the entrance of the gold mine when the first sector isn't butchered.

ATTACK!!!

So, i have 2 options:

1.) Learn something and go MT to master the new TT.

2.) Activate every pleb-aid i can get and drive TC1/CSA strong/Stability Management ON and try to cheat my way to Gold.

... of course i tried the second option. Some 1:26,0xx at the moment. :lol:

Staring I See You GIF by QuikTrip

Thank you so much for your tips!
I'll check some replays and hopefully sort out my shifting behaviour.
Trail breaking is still a "work in progress" for me. Got my wheel now for about 2 months, but the right amount of breaking is maybe the biggest of my issues.
With adding driver aids i'll wait till all hope is gone :crazy:
This car loves it when you stay on the throttle even when braking. Very light but it seems to handle so much better when you keep that tension in the driveline. Some cars are like that.

I am not far ahead of you. I've only had my wheel for about 6 months and not so long ago trail braking was a mystery. It's what took me to the next level in this game, so I suggest if that is your end goal, it should be the first thing you figure out. 👍👍👍

zjn
Mini session last night:
about fifty laps at Suzuka and about ten at Road Atlanta.

Suzuka: Of those 50 laps I will have completed maybe 5, and the vast majority don't go beyond Degner. I know I can improve my PM because I improved some details in the second half of the track. The problem is getting there on a decent lap. It's not that I have a lot of gold expectations, in fact, given the overall results, I really don't, but I'd like to file down a few tenths.

Road Atlanta: I like the track a lot, the limit to be found in the first corner, the blind turn at the top of the hill, the following downhill, the second hairpin turn, and the final up and down. I don't know, maybe it's my favorite track. Here, it would be nice if in addition to being favorite, it was also my strong point. Let's say I have to work on it....

The car is not bad, I had never tried it. I thought it was more like the BAC, and instead it is much more drivable.
Now I have to learn how to let the car slide. I always have a tendency to react to keep a neutral behavior which doesn't pay much here. Do you have any suggestions for "mentally accepting" that the car can slide and that this does not necessarily mean a loss of control? I don't know how to explain it better, but I think it is first a mental issue than a technical one.

By the way: driven by curiosity, I wondered why in the midst of all those curves with non-people's names in Suzuka, there is this curve with a name I had never heard of
Degner's story is most interesting, even if he is missing two wheels compared to the standards to which we are accustomed

Thanks for sharing the link to Degner!
Didn't knew hew was an "Ossi*" (not to be confused with Aussi :D because it sounds quite the same for us germans).

* This is the german abbreviation for "Ostdeutscher" = "east german"

... so I suggest if that is your end goal, it should be the first thing you figure out. 👍👍👍
I'll do! This TT seems to be the perfect opportunity.

I feel like I need to just ditch the Suzuka TT and just move on to the Atlanta KTM X-bow one. I'm not wasting time and going through all that stress just to get tiny improvements and still end up getting bronze, so I quit. I hope my 1'45.854 time holds for bronze. That's enough. I just bought a X-bow a few minutes ago and I'm fixing to paint it and design it in the customization shop. What color should I use and what decals should I represent in it?

Let me know, I'm waiting. Nvm, I uploaded this below.

1712919018213.png

Interesting little statistical tidbit: while everyone is chiming in on how pleasant the X-Bow TT is and gold times are posted left and right, it is actually (at the moment, this tends to go up a bit as the days pass) one of the three most difficult to gold events since mid-November. Only the McLaren and Genesis VGT TTs had less people in gold, relatively speaking.

1712920029357.png

Which is to say:
1. Man has this place become fast!
2. If you struggle, don't beat yourself up. It's not as easy as it seems

Interesting little statistical tidbit: while everyone is chiming in on how pleasant the X-Bow TT is and gold times are posted left and right, it is actually (at the moment, this tends to go up a bit as the days pass) one of the three most difficult to gold events since mid-November. Only the McLaren and Genesis VGT TTs had less people in gold, relatively speaking.

View attachment 1345911

Which is to say:
1. Man has this place become fast!
2. If you struggle, don't beat yourself up. It's not as easy as it seems

Slippery car and an all or nothing sector 1 I'd imagine where the biggest hurdles are.

The amount of time you can lose/gain in S1 is lap defining.

I could tell yesterday early on when the gap even in the early top 750 was nearly at the 3% threshold.

I could consistently get right to the cusp of gold with TCS. It really hinders this car a ton (at least the way I drive) and I found very early that 0 TCS was fastest no matter what else I did with the car so I figured out how to sort of get around with it that way and just kept trying things. It took me a lot longer than it takes most people, but I'm happy that I found the method without any real help other than chasing a ghost. I know I'm far from fast but just golding this one seemed like a monumental challenge for a minute there.

I didn't realize you played with controller as well. Much respect. I tried the other day after having the wheel for 6 months or so and couldn't even get around the track. I'm not built for controllers. The older I get the worse it gets. 😂😂
I am going to give this a shot.
1) TCS 0 ASM On
2) TCS 0 CSA Strong

Thanks for the tips. I got frustrated very early on into the TT and went straight to TCS1.

I really hope my 1:39:420 holds up but I have a strong feeling that next week Wednesday it's going to get crazy at the top with the battle for P1 so it would be nice to create a larger safety margin at Suzuka.
Golding this one is a monumental challenge. Very satisfying when you do finally cross that line. I kept an eye on your time... for a good few days there was no movement.... and then all of a sudden you took off :D

I alternate between wheel and controller. I can be equally consistent, regardless of the input, however it really does depend on the combination. The previous one at Daytona and Fuji and the current one at Suzuka, there is zero chance of my personal bests being set with the Dualsense.

I suffered from a soccer/football injury and underwent knee surgery so sitting in my Playseat for extended periods can be strenuous at times.
Its nice to just kick back on the couch, Dualsense in hand, headphones in check and run lap after lap with no worry in the world.

I am going to give this a shot.
1) TCS 0 ASM On
2) TCS 0 CSA Strong

Thanks for the tips. I got frustrated very early on into the TT and went straight to TCS1.

I really hope my 1:39:420 holds up but I have a strong feeling that next week Wednesday it's going to get crazy at the top with the battle for P1 so it would be nice to create a larger safety margin at Suzuka.
Golding this one is a monumental challenge. Very satisfying when you do finally cross that line. I kept an eye on your time... for a good few days there was no movement.... and then all of a sudden you took off :D

I alternate between wheel and controller. I can be equally consistent, regardless of the input, however it really does depend on the combination. The previous one at Daytona and Fuji and the current one at Suzuka, there is zero chance of my personal bests being set with the Dualsense.

I suffered from a soccer/football injury and underwent knee surgery so sitting in my Playseat for extended periods can be strenuous at times.
Its nice to just kick back on the couch, Dualsense in hand, headphones in check and run lap after lap with no worry in the world.
I literally feel your pain. Had my left knee scoped when I was 18 to remove all the cartilage I destroyed. I've broken both ankles, and broke my right fibula and a piece of the bone it connects to and currently am bionic with a large metal plate and 8 screws and a giant wad of titanium wire that was placed so that I had a fighting chance at an active life after the injury. Some days my legs just don't work. I had a few of those when doing sessions at Suzuka. 😂😂😂

I try not to ever use those injuries as excuses though, there are plenty of folks who have it far worse than I do. (I didn't think you were, for clarification 😁)

I literally feel your pain. Had my left knee scoped when I was 18 to remove all the cartilage I destroyed. I've broken both ankles, and broke my right fibula and a piece of the bone it connects to and currently am bionic with a large metal plate and 8 screws and a giant wad of titanium wire that was placed so that I had a fighting chance at an active life after the injury. Some days my legs just don't work. I had a few of those when doing sessions at Suzuka. 😂😂😂

I try not to ever use those injuries as excuses though, there are plenty of folks who have it far worse than I do. (I didn't think you were, for clarification 😁)
We have the same procedure done on the knee. Winter is coming and I am dreading it!

Wow! You have had some serious medical procedures done to you. Much respect! What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!!
May I ask what the accident was that caused you all these injuries? Heavy equipment?

Guys, 330d is no alien... We have our own Robocop :D
(not said with any ill intentions)

We have the same procedure done on the knee. Winter is coming and I am dreading it!

Wow! You have had some serious medical procedures done to you. Much respect! What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!!
May I ask what the accident was that caused you all these injuries? Heavy equipment?

Guys, 330d is no alien... We have our own Robocop :D
(not said with any ill intentions)
I’m in the knee cripple club too! ACL/MCL full tear 2017 and a slightly botched patella graft pretty much stopped me playing football/soccer to a decent standard. I get a lot of pain sometimes and patella tracking issues but some days it feels great and I can play for hours 😄 it was a long long ride though and I have a lot of sympathy for anyone whose gone through it and worse!

“Be kind to your knees, you’ll miss them when their gone” was clearly a nugget of advice we all skimped on 🤣🤣

Well, the knee was a stupid, terrible judgement call. I jumped out the bed of a friend's lifted Toyota Hilux (that's what you call them down there right?) and landed wrong. Walked on it for 8 months trying to be tough, until I had to get it fixed.

Second one, I got tackled by a guy who was messing around with me. I stepped back quickly and landed in a rut with my foot twisted behind and he kept driving me over until we were in a pile and my ankle couldn't take the weight. It popped. Spiral fracture about 6 inches long of my fibula because this tough guy kid wanted to see if he was big enough to take me down.

Oh also I broke my left ankle when my foot slipped off the footpeg of my buddy's 230 quadsport when I was 13 and got run over while I was still on the seat. That one hurt.

Last edited:
I’m in the knee cripple club too! ACL/MCL full tear 2017 and a slightly botched patella graft pretty much stopped me playing football/soccer to a decent standard. I get a lot of pain sometimes and patella tracking issues but some days it feels great and I can play for hours 😄 it was a long long ride though and I have a lot of sympathy for anyone whose gone through it and worse!

“Be kind to your knees, you’ll miss them when their gone” was clearly a nugget of advice we all skimped on 🤣🤣
So you still play soccer! Wow!!! Really hats off for still doing it after a knee injury. I have tried, but have since given it up totally.
Well, the knee was a stupid, terrible judgement call. I jumped out the bed of a friend's lifted Toyota Hilux (that's what you call them down there right?) and landed wrong. Walked on it for 8 months trying to be tough, until I had to get it fixed.

Second one, I got tackled by a guy who was messing around with me. I stepped back quickly and landed in a rut with my foot twisted behind and he kept driving me over until we were in a pile and my ankle couldn't take the weight. It popped. Spiral fracture about 6 inches long of my fibula because this tough guy kid wanted to see if he was big enough to take me down.

Oh also I broke my left ankle when my foot slipped off the footpeg of my buddy's 230 quadsport when I was 13 and got run over while I was still on the seat. That one hurt.
I felt all this pain just reading this.
The ankle injury from the quad bike one really made me squirm.
One of my other hobbies is dirt biking/trail riding. The knee injury affects me on the dirt bike because of all the vibrations and jumps, but it does not stop me from ripping it to this day.
Why is the Sky Blue?
Because Yamaha's Fly :D

Yes we call it the Hilux and yes it is indestructible as per Jeremy Clarkson.

Last edited:

Not entirely sure but it seems like you and your left leg were mortal enemy in the previous life or something.....

Back