Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 27,619 comments
Quick morning blast around Tsukuba today trying to move up in my own leaderboard of terror...
Unforgiving it is...., every morning i'm kicked down again by mr. Stats @half_sourly himself :lol: :lol:
I tried mate but couldn't catch you today :lol:

View attachment 1361427

View attachment 1361428
So... better don't look at your leaderboard tomorrow. 😜😂

IMG_20240603_175034.jpg

Never been good at Tsukuba, i should improve my hairpin skills. 🤪

Awesome, thanks! I don't like that corner either but it's the mini one at the end that is the real culprit, I've been right on gold pace and then ruined it there at least 3 times. :x
It’s really tough, I’ve fallen foul of it enough times! Really exhibits GT7s heavy handed weight transfer dynamics. Watching the WR ghost they brake early, get it turned in (I stay in 3rd like @half_sourly mentioned) get it right on the inside curb and get the steering wheel straight for when you exit the karrussel curb as any lock and it’ll just spin. Even without lock it still might but if the car is straight enough and wheel straight enough as you exit it should put its power down.

Hello everybody I’m back!! Some laps at the Nordschleife, my favourite place in the whole world although sadly not my favourite trial; the curse of the Sports Hards tyre continues, I will NEVER be a fan but it does suit some cars more than others. It does not suit this car imo. Which is a shame because the Honda Civic NBR trial on them was fantastic but the inconsistency of its grip dynamics is far too temperamental to make a nearly 8 minute lap enjoyable. Just terror all the way through

I set a good lap hoping to get into world top 100 but almost no chance of extending my world top 50 streak for another week 🥺 it’s a real grind to get a high place here, not only because it’s so bloody difficult but so many people put extra effort in for the ring, and so they should! What a track! When the Porsche is on song it dances beautiful but the tiniest difference in corner entry, steering input or power and it goes from beautifully balanced to an absolute mess in miniseconds.

I made a big mistake after exmühle that cost me lots of time but hopefully there’s a 7:35.xxx or even 7:34.xxx coming soon.

As for Tsukuba and the Honda… meh.

IMG_7313.jpeg

IMG_7312.jpeg

(YouTube video to come..!)

Last edited:
Another few laps completed. Tried CSA weak, it’s much, much easier to drive.

Did a 7:42.757 - less than a few tenths to go for gold.

Gold within reach now, but for me personally it “doesn’t count” with CSA on but oh well. It is what it is I guess.

Maybe after I gold with CSA weak I’ll keep trying and see if I can get a gold lap without it.

IMG_5178.jpeg

IMG_5179.jpeg

Every now and then I nail the karussel just right and it feels like you slingshot around that bend. Very satisfying...
Are you using 2ng gear in and 3rd out or 2nd or 3rd for the whole thing? Just wondering. I’ve never had this feeling theough there. 😆

Last edited:
BWX

Gold within reach now, but for me personally it “doesn’t count” with CSA on but oh well. It is what it is I guess.

Maybe after I gold with CSA weak I’ll keep trying and see if I can get a gold lap without it.

View attachment 1361568

View attachment 1361569

Are you using 2ng gear in and 3rd out or 2nd or 3rd for the whole thing? Just wondering. I’ve never had this feeling theough there. 😆
Nice, nearly there! I refuse to use CSA because I worry I'll use it every time if I try it once lol

BWX

View attachment 1361568

View attachment 1361569

I usually hit 4th just prior to the turn, drop to third and swing into it and if I get it just right it almost feels like I barely even slow at all (in other words, I stay in 3rd). However, I haven't found that to be a regular occurrence in the Porsche. Only a few of my many runs have gone that way lol. Keep in mind though that I'm (very frustratingly) more than a second off silver so we're not talking pure "pushing the limit" stuff here.

Edit - even more frustratingly, I'm actually only 6 tenths off silver. :irked:

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks! I don't like that corner either but it's the mini one at the end that is the real culprit, I've been right on gold pace and then ruined it there at least 3 times. :x
It’s really tough, I’ve fallen foul of it enough times!
I have always hated the little carousel also and struggled with it! I think I'm FINALLY starting to get the hang of it with this TT, but it's still hit or miss.
Watching the WR ghost they brake early, get it turned in (I stay in 3rd like @half_sourly mentioned) get it right on the inside curb and get the steering wheel straight for when you exit the karrussel curb as any lock and it’ll just spin.
This is the technique I've been using with some success. Seems to be the same one @Metalgear9493 uses, as I've been following his ghost as I attempt to improve
Some laps at the Nordschleife, my favourite place in the whole world
Also my favorite track! It was the 'Ring that got me addicted to sim racing back in the day with GT5.
... but so many people put extra effort in for the ring, and so they should! What a track! When the Porsche is on song it dances beautiful
Yes, I've actually really enjoyed the combo for this reason, figuring out where I can throw the car around and where that just loses me time
... the inconsistency of its grip dynamics is far too temperamental to make a nearly 8 minute lap enjoyable. Just terror all the way through

...but the tiniest difference in corner entry, steering input or power and it goes from beautifully balanced to an absolute mess in miniseconds.
Probably more of a terror for you top aliens that are really pushing the envelope. No walk in the park for us mere mortals either.

It's definitely been a learning experience, and (mostly) enjoyable.

Nice, nearly there! I refuse to use CSA because I worry I'll use it every time if I try it once lol
I hardly ever use it but it feels like you just a have a ton more grip coming out of corners. And setting car up for a corner, taping the brakes and letting it slide is way easier too. At least for me! I guess I'll use it only if I really can't get gold without it first or run out of time. It's interesting that PD doesn't ever seem to disable it for these TTs.

Last edited:
I've been running lately without any assists for quite a few of the last TTs but this one had me turn on CSA. If it helps, It helps. It's always one of those things that just helps figure out the nuance of the handling until I am comfortable to turn it off. Sometimes with some cars, I simply can't. I don't think it's unfair or weird. The handling in this game is good and fun but it's not exactly realistic especially at the absolute limit. There are many similarities but the snap oversteer is crazy at times and CSA helps with that for me anyway.

It gained me 12 seconds in a single finished lap. I'm much more consistent through the bits that are hairy for me because I just haven't run this track enough. Ymmv but to not use every advantage you're given just because it seems unreal, don't forget we are playing a video game. 😂

@330_D I started off on this TT in a similar manner, not with the assists, but struggling to figure out the physics compared to the 'normal' vehicles driven. Particularly if you do a lot of online racing, there is an abundance of Gr4 and Gr3 events that demand a different driving style. For this TT, I found that braking earlier and turning in earlier, and then using the throttle early to drive through the understeer to be the right approach. Watch @Dan_Tes above - his lap is nearly two seconds faster than mine and much less dramatic - it's what my lap looked like in my head before I attempted to implement :lol: If you study his lap (and sector 1 and 2 should show you everything you need), braking and throttle are much more delicate/deliberate, and there are very long periods where neither are being applied. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast or something like that... Don't overdrive the car, and the time will come! :cheers:

Last edited:
Even with a terrible 1st sector, gold was had pretty easily with CSA on weak. It’s a hollow victory after all that work, but I’ll take it. 🤷‍♂️

You still need to put in a solid lap to gold this TT even with CSA. Could probably get into the 7:41 range with a better 1st sector. I was catching the 7:39 ghost quite a bit at times.

IMG_5181.jpeg

IMG_5182.JPEG

IMG_5179.jpeg

IMG_5180.jpeg

I've been running lately without any assists for quite a few of the last TTs but this one had me turn on CSA. If it helps, It helps. It's always one of those things that just helps figure out the nuance of the handling until I am comfortable to turn it off. Sometimes with some cars, I simply can't. I don't think it's unfair or weird. The handling in this game is good and fun but it's not exactly realistic especially at the absolute limit. There are many similarities but the snap oversteer is crazy at times and CSA helps with that for me anyway.

It gained me 12 seconds in a single finished lap. I'm much more consistent through the bits that are hairy for me because I just haven't run this track enough. Ymmv but to not use every advantage you're given just because it seems unreal, don't forget we are playing a video game. 😂
With CSA weak this car is very fun and predictable for me, without it it's still fun, but also frustrating and unpredictable sometimes.

Last edited:
View attachment 1361642

Let's go get that sub 7:36 👀
Sheesh we are close! You can do this! I am going to get up early (not @Gomario JSP early but still..) and give it another shot tomorrow :D.

@330_D @BWX @PlanetJanet although I'm trying not to use it I'm a big advocate for using CSA (Strong) and this trial is perfect for it IMO. I've got no doubt I'd be faster with it but I'm persevering without, the Dino trial was the last I used it deliberately and I accidentally enabled it in Fuji with the Toyota. It's definitely a tool worth using if the job is right and I highly recommend it if anyone is struggling with the physics here. As @Carlos Fandango says this car needs a gently gently approach, it's like treading on eggshells for the whole lap, Sector 1 especially Hatzenbach is a prime example of that; not only do you have to be gentle but also supremely accurate (and the car doesn't feel accurate, it's all over the place) as riding the wrong curb even just slightly = death.

Does anyone with a time just inside Gold (maybe @GlockPants or @crome?) have a screenshot of their sector times? I struggle with the first section but have now done it a lot ( :D ) and I just want to know if I'm on pace before continually screwing up the last section.

Edit: nvm, just need to look up the page lol. So I'm right on pace through the first half and then lose a lot towards the end. Good to know :)
Your question about sectors times made me start thinking about my sector times. I haven't been in the habit of taking screenshots of those, but I went back to the 3 best laps I saved and looked them up on the replays. (If there's any other way to get them after-the-fact, please let me know)

If I take my best sectors from those 3 laps, I get a time of 7:39.424

So 7:39.xxx is definitely doable!! (And I saw the problem in my most recent lap. I screwed up and lost 0.4 in sector 4 compared to my PB... doh! Just not making that one error would have done it. ...but I think everyone on this thread has a story like that :) )

Thanks for the inspiration!

18fe0dd267134-screenshotUrl.jpg

That was well fought. I don't have any time these days and the ring is a big one to learn. Finally feel like I understand at least a modest quick pace there. Fun.. Wow. I wish this one was in my off season because I could kill hours here. I hope it sticks or I get another session...

Last edited:
I was away for the whole weekend, that was like 7 pages of this thread to read to be up to date. You guys gave me hope that tsukuba tt will be easy to gold and that I'll have time to get back to nurb (against my own rule.. but this combo is just so fun). I got gold, yes. But what a struggle it was.:rolleyes:This one doesn't feel safe enough. Need to try and improve it tonight.
aa.jpg
a.jpg

Mission accomplished!! :)

A few laps before this, I had a 7:39.9xx, but I knew I left a lot of time on the track that lap, and wasn't satisfied.

Then I had this lap which completely exceeded my expectations, accomplished my goal, and then some!

Call me crazy... I was going to just move on to Tsukuba, but now I feel like 38s might even be possible, so who knows?

If I didn't have to work tomorrow, I'd probably go for another couple of hours and give it a shot :)

TT_Nurb_911_G.jpeg

I'm away for the week. Pity, because I would have loved to have lapped the Nurb until it ended. I suffered from 911 withdrawels last night 😄

Nice to see everyone's progress and golds at the Green Hell.

I started this TT without CSA. When I was at a 7:44 I switched it on, ran it for a bit like that, then switched it off again. I kept switching between off, weak and strong and realised that I was most consistent with it at strong so I left it that way.

Goodluck to all those chasing that gold.
See you on the leaderboards over the weekend.

Happy Lapping everyone!

Got my third long session and progress has been made. Managed to get into the 7:45s.

View attachment 1361741

Who knows perhaps I can find another 3.3s?

Nah… who I’m I kidding?
My trajectory was very similar: started with a 7.50, dropped that to 7.45 on my second session, and then began seriously troubling that gold time in my third session. If you've got any time before it ends then I reckon you've got this.

@luv2drive, mad respect, it took everything I had to sneak into the 41s. I had faster sectors on other laps but stringing them all together is such a challenge.

UPDATE: I had a quick attempt on my lunch break and managed to improve by a little over a second, now down to 7:53.3XX. I was on a second lap, 2.3s up on delta and managed to completely balls it up and run wide into a wall shortly after the small carousel... 🤦‍♂️ Hoping I can find the lap tonight when I have one last go!
Unfortunately didn't get back onto this and settled for a bronze. First bronze in a long time!

Back