Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,805 comments
190cc27ffa959-screenshotUrl.jpg

Safely in here as well. I was wondering if this would be impossibly tough from the comments. It's pretty difficult but not impossible. Not my favorite but I think I can get into the 20s. Maybe.

I go through a fairly standard series of moments with these TTs in general. First there's a sense of optimism - "I should be able to get into silver fairly easily here..." which quickly vanishes when my initial foray ends with difficulty achieving even a decent bronze time. At that point there's a whole lot of self-doubt and self-loathing and frustration about how much "I suck at this!" :lol: Then I usually manage to get a solid foothold in silver. That's when I start to think seriously about gold - which leads to a whole bunch of "how the frak are all these guys so bloody fast??!! There's no way I can find another 8 tenths of a second here!" I'll then do a bunch of laps and either break through and find the time I need or give up in frustration. It's never ever "Oh...I need 3 tenths? OK here's a few laps... aaaaaaand done!"

This Fuji tt is starting to get to me..stupid t2, stupid final sector..

View attachment 1373706
T2 is killing me on that one. I've gotten down to 1:21:706 but just fail over and over and over on T2. Drove for damn near 2 hours last night with no improvement. I seem to either get ahead of my ghost on T1 and then either turn in too early or too late on T2 and blow it, or have a crappier T1, hit T2 just right and then almost overtake my ghost in sector 3 and miss by 0.1s. It's killing me lol.

What are the odds that 1:21:706 is safe? It comforts me that it's a GTWS driver in the lead, I doubt it will improve much. I've got ~0.15secs of leeway

Last edited:
Damned, this combo on AT and the heavy lexus with SS tires is really painful (as much as Brits at rugby, for example).

Probably thanks to the new livery, I've saved like 0.440 on my previous PB but I'm at the end of my life... I really don't know where and how to save 0.5 to enter in the gold territory.

I could probably try to shave few more tenths here and there but I'm sure it's not worth the efforts and the time. Plus, I have no fun to play this TT.
Interesting how different we are at about the same level (don't quote me on this at the wrong moment in the future!). I think i only did one or two AT laps to get gold. Also: i didn't enjoy Willows.
I tried trigger effects the first day and while it felt pretty cool I was slower with them on so I turned them off. The regular vibration gives me enough feedback. Could definitely be a matter of what you’re used to, as Hasnain touched upon. No extras for extending triggers or anything like that, using a standard DualSense.
Thanks! Good to know. So it really seems not to affect performance much. That at least helps me with staying at WEAK and not forcing myself to use STRONG. I had the normal rumble at moderate and turned it to strong and tire audio is now at maximum.
I'm on 5 so I do have the haptic feedback, and it took me fairly long to get a feeling for it, started of weak because I was used to have none on PS4, but now I use strong, always, and never looked back, and I'm one of the few that uses R1+L1 for shifting, most use X and Square I think? Feels natural to me 😁😁
Ok. This is weird. You still use L2 and R2 for throttle/brakes? With middle fingers or what? I have to say after a day of MT the shifting with Xand square feeld totally ok. Hitting the right gear is of course still a problem. :D
You can change the button configuration 6 times a week Chris but that ain't going to teach you the basics, racing lines, brakepoints and gearing... that is where you focus should be if you ask me, if you ride AT....fine ....if your lines are fine you can gold them.
We can all keep giving tons of advice every new timetrial but the advice is always the same in every separate private conversation

So Chris, less hours, less Pizza, more racing basics 😁
Yeah, i think the constant need to change something is problematic. You can't get constant times this way. If, like someone pointed out, you are still on X and square for acceleration/braking, this can of course be an issue as you can't moderate your inputs. That could be changed to the triggers for good (and even there is an alien who is pretty good with x/square). For the rest like sensitivity and AT. Stay at one place (if it's not the ufo at the Daytona Tri-Oval).

Edit:
just fixed a stick drift controller with a YouTube tutorial. Pretty proud and motivated for TT tomorrow morning. Have a good night!

Last edited:
My mom doesn't care about me spending 10-15 hours a day time trialing and playing gt7.
And here is the problem. You are spending that much time reinforcing all your bad driving habbit, and that's what keeping you from improving.

Like what @Gomario JSP said, we gave you plenty of advices and it seems like none of them got through. I'm going to give it to you ONE LAST time....if it doesn't go through, not much we can do about it.

Getting fast has nothing to do with how many hrs you put in.....it has everything to do with being consistent. Is your car at the same spot of the track when you hit the brakes for each and every single corner? Is the car pointing at the same direction? No...almost doesn't count. If your car is a tire width off to the left or right, that doesn't count. If you brake 2 feet too early or too late, that doesn't count. If your car is pointing 5 degress off to the left or right, that doesn't count.

If you can't do that, or can't tell the difference if your car is off or not, or don't care if you are precise or not....then none of our advice matters. All the mumble jumble about trail braking, turn-in point, car rotation, throttle input will mean nothing if you hit your brake at a different point every single lap.

Again....like what @Gomario JSP said. Less driving, more driving basic.

Last edited:
Interesting how different we are at about the same level (don't quote me on this at the wrong moment in the future!). I think i only did one or two AT laps to get gold. Also: i didn't enjoy Willows.

Thanks! Good to know. So it really seems not to affect performance much. That at least helps me with staying at WEAK and not forcing myself to use STRONG. I had the normal rumble at moderate and turned it to strong and tire audio is now at maximum.

Ok. This is weird. You still use L2 and R2 for throttle/brakes? With middle fingers or what? I have to say after a day of MT the shifting with Xand square feeld totally ok. Hitting the right gear is of course still a problem. :D

Yeah, i think the constant need to change something is problematic. You can't get constant times this way. If, like someone pointed out, you are still on X and square for acceleration/braking, this can of course be an issue as you can't moderate your inputs. That could be changed to the triggers for good (and even there is an alien who is pretty good with x/square). For the rest like sensitivity and AT. Stay at one place (if it's not the ufo at the Daytona Tri-Oval).
Indeed, R2 throttle L2 brakes with the middelvingers and shifting with indexfingers, that way I'm embracing the controller all the way..... all the love 😂, at first i though everybody played like this...guess I was wrong 🙈😂

True, lots of fast players still use X/[] I believe, take @Dolph Drago for example, he only recently switched, he threw some real punches at the leaderboard where I couldn't even get near him.

And exactly, keep changing isn't the way to go, but going to R2 for throttle is almost a must imo for getting the feel of different levels of throttle, ( I practiced that a lot and is still very helpfull today ) so that change definitely helped me ( I changed left X/[] when I started GT7 )
Besides ...trailbraking is a real thing and only possible on trigger 😁

That sensitivity I do almost neglect because I like the fast inputs, altho for the formule and X2019 I was at 6 I believe and normally at 10

But indeed very cool to see how different we all are in this nursery of aliens 😂

Last edited:
Yes, that's very different, while we are usually very close :) But, I'm really happy for you if you enjoy and have fun with the Lexus.
Edit:
just fixed a stick drift controller with a YouTube tutorial. Pretty proud and motivated for TT tomorrow morning. Have a good night!
Please share, I have 2 DualSense infected with this plague!!

it has everything to do with being consistent. Is your car at the same spot of the track when you hit the brakes for each and every single corner? Is the car pointing at the same direction? No...almost doesn't count. If your car is a tire width off to the left or right, that doesn't count. If you brake 2 feet too early or too late, that doesn't count. If your car is pointing 5 degress off to the left or right, that doesn't count.

If you can't do that, or can't tell the difference if your car is off or not, or don't care if you are precise or not....then none of our advice matters. All the mumble jumble about trail braking, turn-in point, car rotation, throttle input will mean nothing if you hit your brake at a different point every single lap.

On that topic @Chris30 watch this from the driving school series by @Tidgney

And here is the problem. You are spending that much time reinforcing all your bad driving habbit, and that's what keeping you from improving.

Like what @Gomario JSP said, we gave you plenty of advices and it seems like none of them got through. I'm going to give it to you ONE LAST time....if it doesn't go through, not much we can do about it.

Getting fast has nothing to do with how many hrs you put in.....it has everything to do with being consistent. Is your car at the same spot of the track when you hit the brakes for each and every single corner? Is the car pointing at the same direction? No...almost doesn't count. If your car is a tire width off to the left or right, that doesn't count. If you brake 2 feet too early or too late, that doesn't count. If your car is pointing 5 degress off to the left or right, that doesn't count.

Your driving advices are really priceless, and for any players here (ok maybe not for abducted dudes).
But I'm starting to suspect he sadly only ask for our attention, our advices aren't not really important to him. TT after TT, we can copy/paste the same replies, over and over and over.

But I'm starting to suspect he sadly only ask for our attention, our advices aren't not really important to him. TT after TT, we can copy/paste the same replies, over and over and over.
Yes I think exactly the same thing. As they say here in France: it's like pissing in a violin (The expression is one of the colloquial expressions using the verb piss born in the second half of the 19th century, while this verb has a greater vulgarity than today hui[1]. The expression appeared in the form "it's like pissing in a violin" which meant "it's no use").

I hope the effect holds up a long time.
I do hope for you but I won't tell you for my controllers because I'll DEFINTINLY NOT open a controller to repair it..... :lol: Don't give me a screwdriver or a hammer, I'm terribly dangerous... :crazy:

Im Not No Way GIF

Yes I think exactly the same thing. As they say here in France: it's like pissing in a violin (The expression is one of the colloquial expressions using the verb piss born in the second half of the 19th century, while this verb has a greater vulgarity than today hui[1]. The expression appeared in the form "it's like pissing in a violin" which meant "it's no use").
we totally agree :) (once again)

This is my problem, heck I can’t even sign my name the same. When I was purchasing my home I had to sign a bunch of documents in front of a Notary. When I was done the Notary shook her head and said that if she hadn’t just witnessed me sign them all she would have thought it was different person’s signature on each page.

Congrats everyone who improved so greatly during the Big Willow TT :)

20240719_222703.jpg

After a short roadtrip through Andaluçia I managed to sneak in a last minute improvement at Willow, but only to secure gold. Enjoying the LFA so far. Oddly enougg I just did the CE on a second profile the other day, realizing what a beatifully flowing track Sardegna is. Kinda sets the scene for the upcoming Eiger Nordwand DLC with the mountains in the background.

Also for better or worse, I fell victim.to the amazon prime days promo and ordered a G923 :embarrassed: Not sure if I'll keep it or opt for a used DD pro, but am keen to give the wheel a shot after 25 years on pad.

20240719_233611.jpg

Edit: down in the 46's now. Lol, that RPM alert sounds like driving around a passenger fiddling on his casio wristwatch trying to set the timer :D

Last edited:
Also for better or worse, I fell victim.to the amazon prime days promo and ordered a G923 :embarrassed: Not sure if I'll keep it or opt for a used DD pro, but am keen to give the wheel a shot after 25 years on pad.
Boy oh boy... I have to tell you that you're in for a BIG surprise (most likely not the pleasant kind).
As a long-time gamepad + GT player (basically since GT4), I got myself a pre-owned T300 earlier this week to see what all the fuss is about...
Long story short, after switching to the wheel I felt literally like the slowest turd to ever play GT . You will have to re-learn pretty much all of the skills you have developed over all of these years. Obviously muscle memory and reflexes are completely different when comparing driving with the gamepad and the wheel.

I would say you're in for a couple of thousand miles of being frustrated with your lap times and constant spins.

The good thing, once you get the hang of it, it is SO MUCH MORE rewarding. I was referring to certain car/track combos being fun when I was playing with the gamepad, but the wheel translates the car's character and information about the track so much more vividly.

You will be spending the first few days or so spinning the car at every corner 🤣 The reaction time and fine control is way higher when using the wheel.

Also set the force feedback to its strongest since the 923 barely has any force feedback. Ohhh.....and learn how to left foot brake :D

Last edited:
Your driving advices are really priceless, and for any players here (ok maybe not for abducted dudes).
What makes you say that, I'm not doing all this for attention. Hey, I read some of your posts and I felt offended like I was asking over and over for attention. I guess the best thing for me to do is to watch Tidgney's, Mistah_MCA's, and theKie's guides on Youtube so I don't have to ask y'all anymore. I feel pissed now. A violin means nothing to me, :mad:

Then sometimes @TumeK5 gets all over me for getting offtopic. Some of you were kinda harsh in a way, I am human and I make mistakes too, I just have to learn from day to day. I do have autism which sucks, that may be why I have so much trouble following through with certain advice/instructions. Idk, but it's a pain in the ass.

I won't be asking for help anymore, but I will be welcome to post any videos or screenshots showing proof that I earned gold. I was in a good mood until I read this recent page. Some people don't understand what I have to go through everyday, and some just don't give a damn. And I will always congradulate who earns gold and sets records here because I'm a nice guy and I care about others.

You know what, yeah I'm gonna post here everyday because I am a part of this community to and I do respect everyone here, but sometimes I don't get that in return.

I won't be asking for help anymore, I can promise you that.

I cannot believe this crap.

@Dolph Drago I think some of those posts were kinda harsh don't you. Read this whole page top to bottom and see what I mean.

Last edited:
Some people don't understand what I have to go through everyday, and some just don't give a damn. And I will always congradulate who earns gold and sets records here because I'm a nice guy and I care about others.

@Dolph Drago I think some of those posts were kinda harsh don't you. Read this whole page top to bottom and see what I mean.
Chris, I think you'll struggle for sympathy here whilst you're putting in up to 15 hours a day playing video games.
I would wager the majority of us don't ever have 15 hours of free time in a day, maybe even across a few days.

I think you genuinely need to take a step back, take care of yourself, and re-evaluate how you're tackling these things. You obviously have a lot of perseverance and dedication for wanting to be the best, but channeling this into gaming is not only unhealthy at these levels but it's useless if you don't grasp the fundamentals. The amount of time you are spending effectively butting your head against the wall is making you perform worse, and its hurting your body and mind. Let's not even go to the quantity of Pizza Hut you've been monstering - you'll never perform well at anything if you're putting your physical and mental health behind so you can brute force more hours.

As the saying goes, you need to walk before you can run, and it looks like you're crawling around on all fours for 15 hours a day getting annoyed you can't outpace Usain Bolt.
Take a step back, look at everything you've been told, and spend less time doing it! Go for a walk, go to a park, a leisure centre, anything. Enjoy life!

The game will be there when you get back, and you'll feel better playing it. Nobody wants to be harsh with you, but we can only watch you seriously hurt yourself doing these things for so long before it becomes concerning.

@TumeK5 Sorry, it's not your fault. You were trying to point me in the right direction.

The point is Jeje and Pessiles were rude and harsh saying that I ask most people here for help and advice in every TT for attention. If I didn't need help, I wouldn't be asking at all.

It set me off the wrong way.

My mom doesn't care about me spending 10-15 hours a day time trialing and playing gt7.
I usually play between 2 and a half to 3 hours a night. Very rarely do I play for longer than that or I end up losing too much sleep. I'm not employed either but I'd never played for that long in my life. Not even close. In fact, it's more time than I spend using the computer, wherein I waste time posting here, watching YouTube and making music in ACID Music Studio. I also make stuff on Adobe Illustrator sometimes. You can't spend all your waking hours on GT7 because it's not the only thing in the world worth doing. There are plenty of other things you can do away from your PlayStation.

Back