Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,559 comments
This is a tricky one :) But I'm happy with the first attempt

1721947193658.jpg
1721947193678.jpg

Yeah I was revving it out before, bit silly. I watched Tidgneys video and had a big D'oh! moment, hopped on and did that in about 5 laps, lol.
Yeah, nah that's not workin' for me :lol:. I watched Tidgney's videos and went backwards. Too much focus on shifting down and short-shifting up in this tight corners is making me lose time I think. Also, the start of the final sector has that right flick to the right under compression. I haven't found the right amount of flick and lift to nail it yet. Pretty tough TT all around and kinda hoping i don't have to revisit.

Eh, I don't know where I stand with the new physics. Some cars feel more lively with a lot more detail under braking, and some cars feel disconnected and strange. Some have said that catching and maintaining oversteer is easier, but that is not happening in my experience.

Case in point, the Ferrari at Tokyo. The steering is crazy light, even with my FFB up, and it seems to still have the annoying trait of wanting to continue oversteer even with drop throttle. Right now it just feels like an understeery mess to me. Glad others are enjoying it.

Sitting at a 2:04.870 at the moment, with lots more in it. I'm hoping with time that I coalesce with the new physics and settle on some settings that feel appropriate.
Same here, I don't know what to think of the new physics. The 430 feeling is strange, the oversteer I just don't get it. The car feels "floaty"...

Same here, I don't know what to think of the new physics. The 430 feeling is strange, the oversteer I just don't get it. The car feels "floaty"...
Floaty is a perfect description.

Exiting out the final corner through the kink leading on to the straight I don't think there is any feedback from the steering at all. And trying to nail the L/R switchbacks at speed has me correcting all over the place with the car not really giving me anything to go on. I'm driving blind here!

Oversteer in this thing is terrible. I know in GT7 mid-engine cars are sometimes prone to on and off throttle oversteer, which is fine, but this thing never really feels settled at all.

I'm hoping that these feelings are just teething issues while I work out the kinks! I probably should have played it first before reading so many glowing reviews... hype kills expectations! I'm wondering how I'll fare at Eiger in the Subaru later.

I'm thinking there may be another upcoming patch for FFB as well due to the trueforce peeps having trouble, so it should be an interesting next couple weeks in game.

After changing my wheel settings I'm loving the new physics ftmp. Feels really convincing to me. But I still suck of course.

I can't believe I took better than 5 full seconds off my bronze time at Tokyo and I'm still way off silver. Sheesh! I do have a tenuous grip on silver in the subie but that's going to have to be improved on for sure.

Last edited:
Am I the only one with this issue ? I can't shift up with the 430 unless I press a tiny bit the gas pedal. If not, shifting up does nothing. Wth ???

You are not the only one. It had been like this since forever ago. Seems to only happen in that car.
It's not a bug, it's a feature. This car has an antiquated "automatic manual" transmission that requires some torque application to change gears. Engine compression is typically enough to get downshifts done but you need some throttle to shift up, you can't just coast.

Eh, I don't know where I stand with the new physics. Some cars feel more lively with a lot more detail under braking, and some cars feel disconnected and strange. Some have said that catching and maintaining oversteer is easier, but that is not happening in my experience.

Case in point, the Ferrari at Tokyo. The steering is crazy light, even with my FFB up, and it seems to still have the annoying trait of wanting to continue oversteer even with drop throttle. Right now it just feels like an understeery mess to me.

Exiting out the final corner through the kink leading on to the straight I don't think there is any feedback from the steering at all. And trying to nail the L/R switchbacks at speed has me correcting all over the place with the car not really giving me anything to go on. I'm driving blind here!

Oversteer in this thing is terrible. I know in GT7 mid-engine cars are sometimes prone to on and off throttle oversteer, which is fine, but this thing never really feels settled at all.
I believe the 'floaty' sensation is a direct result of the new stock damper settings being set at 20/40, previous stock settings were 30/40 for most cars.

20 clicks difference between compression and expansion is too much for any car imo, and will make many cars feel that way to varying degrees.
8-12 clicks difference is the sweet spot for a good ride sensation as any lower than 8 and the cars can start to feel stiff and bumpy/twitchy regardless of other settings in the suspension.

Last edited:

I'm hoping that these feelings are just teething issues while I work out the kinks! I probably should have played it first before reading so many glowing reviews... hype kills expectations! I'm wondering how I'll fare at Eiger in the Subaru later.

I'm thinking there may be another upcoming patch for FFB as well due to the trueforce peeps having trouble, so it should be an interesting next couple weeks in game.
I think the new physics update remove the overly understeery nature of the previous physics update. Cars now are A LOT easier to rotate during turn-in/trail braking phase. It is good in a way that you can get the car into this neutral steer state much easier than before....but if you are not on top of the rotation, the rear can swing out more than needed very easily.

Having said that, the 430 does drive a bit weird, but I can't tell it is because my wheel's FFB is all weird or it is because of the car. I did notice the car can understeer quit badly at certain corners where the elevation drops (there are 2? of those in Toyko Expway I think). Which I guess is how it should work.....I just had to adjust my braking force and trajectory to deal with them.

Last edited:
Wow. The WRX WRC is awesome! New favourite car in the game.

I was hoping the physics change would help with the knife-edge transition from understeer to oversteer but that remains an issue.

Last edited:
I couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing wrong in the Subie. Like, a full second off people I'm generally ahead of. Barely scraping 4% in the mid 1:05's. Then I watched Tidgney's guide. I don't understand the gearing at all, but I'll give it another go tomorrow running a gear or 2 (or 3) higher in mid corner and exits. I had issues occasionally in the tight corners where the stick on my controller was fully locked and the damn thing just wouldn't turn. I was also revving it out. Guess that was the wrong strategy. :lol: Hopefully the next session goes better.

The Ferrari on the other hand was a much nicer drive. Even though the lap was quite messy with mistakes, it was much closer to where I normally sit TT-wise. I still don't like any of the Tokyo layouts, but what are you going to do.
IMG_3408.jpg

Last edited:
53881709831_f1b5344176_o.jpg

I know it's early days but only being 1.5 seconds away from @EbrahimX7 on a track of this length is a decent effort for me. However it looks as though the goalposts have moved since last night. I gotta say, this time trial is way more fun than I expected.
53882049324_c2f53a522f_o.jpg

Unfortunately, this time trial is shaping up to be an uphill battle for me. I'm usually able to get a whole lot closer to the top time on day 1, so this is quite concerning. I've only done a few laps though so am I being too hard on myself? Maybe. Maybe not.

Last edited:
View attachment 1375600
Unfortunately, this time trial is shaping up to be an uphill battle for me. I'm usually able to get a whole lot closer to the top time on day 1, so this is quite concerning. I've only done a few laps though so am I being too hard on myself? Maybe. Maybe not.
Could it be the gearing? I don't really understand why, something about turbos, but it makes a big difference if you're in the wrong gears, have a look at what @Tidgney does, if you haven't.

I didn't had much time yesterday, so i had to choose what to do. While the 430 Scuderia is one of my all time fav cars, i gave Tokyo a go.
Like overs mentioned before, i struggled with the very light steering. And massive understeer, i guess from those slippery tyres (or maybee i'm just used to the grip from the 911 RSR in the Manu Cup).
I had one red lap after the other. In the final try i managed a cautious 2:07,2. As long as the gold time doesn't drop too much, i hope that should be possible with some more practice.

When it comes to the Eiger TT, I'm more bowled by the graphics & scenery. Also am so happy a new & likeable track has returned. Will give this TT a go again but the Subaru's grip + power + mild understeer is giving me the apprehension to enjoy this TT.

The Tokyo TT layout is such that I can keep lapping & lapping around due to its flowing nature. The Ferrari is a good car but needs to be tamed. Nonetheless, I'll be spending more time on this TT more just because of the flowing nature.

Ahhh. Maaahh. Gahhh. I'm literally sweating my everything off right now. Got into the 1:03s (1:03.852) at Eiger and am falling in love with the update. The more I drive different cars the more I'm appreciating the pliability of the tires, the feedback from the curbs, the steering feel, and just... everything.

Here's my final 6 laps or so... the last section of esses holds more time, and I'm hoping to get into the low 1:03s.

Between this and the Ferrari they are both my highest ever places in any TT, so it's evident that regardless of my thoughts the new physics agree with me!

Now I'm going to be gone for a week 😑. Gonna be jonesing for GT7 the whole time now... first world problems!

Last edited:
Here's the guide for the Ferrari for those that may be struggling with it! All about momentum and not getting to Angry with the walls haha!

Kudos to You Mate for the detailed explanation for DS4 users like myself. Appreciate Your effort which already has enlightened me as to where I could go faster. Cheers.

I want back at it, after watching a video of Supergt where he said to "let work the cars".
And that's the main thing : coasting is so much more important now. I tried again the Tokyo TT and was able to gain almost 8 tenths right away !

1000022453.jpg

@Tidgney with due respect to Your guidance vid for the Tokyo TT, I couldn't completely follow or be in line with your inputs as per gears through the turns. I felt more comfortable with using 4th gear compared to 5th as the car felt more grippier or controllable through pivotal turns such as the one under the bridge or the long right hander in the middle. I took almost all longish turns in 4th gear as I felt stable.

Maybe I'm short of confidence here even though I love this layout. I rarely have confidence whenever using Sports variant tyres. I got Gold in Sardegna TT mainly because of Racing tyres used there.

@Tidgney with due respect to Your guidance vid for the Tokyo TT, I couldn't completely follow or be in line with your inputs as per gears through the turns. I felt more comfortable with using 4th gear compared to 5th as the car felt more grippier or controllable through pivotal turns such as the one under the bridge or the long right hander in the middle. I took almost all longish turns in 4th gear as I felt stable.

Maybe I'm short of confidence here even though I love this layout. I rarely have confidence whenever using Sports variant tyres. I got Gold in Sardegna TT mainly because of Racing tyres used there.
It's all good, the think to remember with any of my videos is it is a guide and it's not the absolute way anyone should do it because of different controllers and players. It's like when I did my pad lap I used slightly different gears. The purpose of the video is to give initial help if anyone is struggling so markers to accelerate or brake at, gear ideas etc. The Subaru Impreza one for example a lot of people didn't realise short shifting was so beneficial so just helps with those kind of things :cheers:

It's all good, the think to remember with any of my videos is it is a guide and it's not the absolute way anyone should do it because of different controllers and players. It's like when I did my pad lap I used slightly different gears. The purpose of the video is to give initial help if anyone is struggling so markers to accelerate or brake at, gear ideas etc. The Subaru Impreza one for example a lot of people didn't realise short shifting was so beneficial so just helps with those kind of things :cheers:
Completely agree with you. All have their individual driving styles & preferences. Usually, a higher gear should offer more stability & smooth exit but for me the lower gear offers more grip & punch which is a little weird.

Nonetheless, it's a treat watching your guidance vid with non stop commentary. Just wish I had half the confidence of you when driving on Sports tyres.

Latest Posts

Back