Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,928 comments
It's so amusing how Tidgney chooses those catchy titles to his time trial videos, he makes it look so easy but when you actually have to figure it out on your own then that's a different story. It's amazing how many subscribers he has already gained, that tells you how skilled and professional he is, he's identified as a alien too.

Storm Area 51 GIF by MOODMAN

Time for the alien dance!

@seadog777 have a safe relaxing weekend mate, I earned gold too in the Alfa, that was the easiest one we've had in a long time. My final time was 1'15.823. Two seconds away from Doodle's time.

Last edited:
he makes it look so easy
Yes, that's the thing, he is a very skilled and experienced racer. The best in the world always makes the hardest things seem easy. That's why they're the best in the world.

I've stopped paying attention to brake and acceleration markers from Tidge's videos as they never seem to work for me (particularly being in VR) but what I do gleam from them, and what has been very informative, is what to look out for for potential markers that I might not have considered before and nuances to the way certain cars behave, such a short shifting, coasting and so on.

I absolutely 100% hate the first sharp right turn at the Sprint, I finally got a 1'36.597 time after 20 laps, it took me a while to perfect every turn, corner and hairpin while looking out for the rods and track barriers. Touching the green areas will automatically void your lap so caution should be taken. Plus timing that last chicane before turning right to the finish determines how well your lap time will be. Using the ghosts would be a good choice for knowing where, how and when to starting braking and pressing on the throttle. That is the main key here for Nurburgring. You need a mountain of patience to tackle this time challenge.

Last edited:
Gold in the Alfa held for me, very happy about that, I think it's my third..... whoo hoo! 🤣
The new TT in the VGT is not actually that bad - car drives well (although I do get some very odd feedback through the wheel) and the track is interesting. Safe bronze so far. Have a great weekend all of you!
After two attempts in the VGT, I'm still on the outside looking in. Plenty of time to be found. I got loose in the turn before the bridge invalidating my lap. Long track to take too many chances. I hate red laps.

Today's mission was to tackle a little bit with a bag of bricks. First time on abs weak and braking was a little bit more up to my suit if I can say so. May not be a safe gold, but I got my win here, managed into gold in what was for me a very hard time trial. Still I think at least 0.2s are there in store for me, but if I want to get back for some more time.. I'll think about it on wednesday afternoon
1000020654.jpg
1000020655.jpg

Also did some recon laps at st.+ one lap valid close to silver. The car is not that bad. Can get snappy but my problem here will be to learn the track rather than the car.
1000020652.jpg
1000020653.jpg

I absolutely 100% hate the first sharp right turn at the Sprint, I finally got a 1'36.597 time after 20 laps, it took me a while to perfect every turn, corner and hairpin while looking out for the rods and track barriers. Touching the green areas will automatically void your lap so caution should be taken. Plus timing that last chicane before turning right to the finish determines how well your lap time will be. Using the ghosts would be a good choice for knowing where, how and when to starting braking and pressing on the throttle. That is the main key here for Nurburgring. You need a mountain of patience to tackle this time

T1 isn't all that bad IF you have a good brakingpoint, which happen to be one of the easiest to spot in all tracks, tarmac colors 😁
Hit it spot on and brake the first meters in the higher gear, then in 2nd trailbrake into T1 thats key to rotate it close to the bollard

I did this the other day with a controller and auto transmission and was fastest with ABS weak, TC1, and CAS weak when on controller.. Could go faster with wheel / VR but not sure I'll bother unless gold time comes down. Not a bad car once you figure it out though, and drive within the tire's limits. 🤷‍♂️

GTR Nurb GP TT 1.jpg

I'm still undecided on if I want to attempt the VGT at St. Croissant. I should rephrase: I'm still undecided if I should attempt the VGT at St. Croissant. I already know I DON'T WANT to. :lol: I ran the weekly challenge race there over the weekend and had no idea where I was going. Every 90 degree turn looked the same. I imagine this is the kind of track Hermann Tilke dreams about.

So I went back to the GT-R for tonight's session. I know I use the word "frustrating" a lot, but this is one of those combos. I will say it has grown on me, though. I've gotten used to the car's handling. And almost as importantly, I've learned how to get through turn 1. The frustrating bit comes in my usual incompetence being able to string together all 3 sectors in one lap. More frustration will be mentioned further down the post.

After all was said and done, my best lap was a whopping .013 seconds better than my previous. I lost a bunch in the final sector. :banghead:
IMG_3699.jpg

Here's the annoying bit. I had two invalidated laps in the 33.0's and even a 32.9.

My 32.9 split which went red at the chicane. I must have cut it by one too many centimeters. :mad:
IMG_3697.jpg

And a video of one of my 33.0's which I lost when the car decided to understeer into oblivion as I was exiting the final corner. :mad:

I'm still undecided on if I want to attempt the VGT at St. Croissant. I should rephrase: I'm still undecided if I should attempt the VGT at St. Croissant. I already know I DON'T WANT to. :lol: I ran the weekly challenge race there over the weekend and had no idea where I was going. Every 90 degree turn looked the same. I imagine this is the kind of track Hermann Tilke dreams about.

So I went back to the GT-R for tonight's session. I know I use the word "frustrating" a lot, but this is one of those combos. I will say it has grown on me, though. I've gotten used to the car's handling. And almost as importantly, I've learned how to get through turn 1. The frustrating bit comes in my usual incompetence being able to string together all 3 sectors in one lap. More frustration will be mentioned further down the post.

After all was said and done, my best lap was a whopping .013 seconds better than my previous. I lost a bunch in the final sector. :banghead:
View attachment 1396390

Here's the annoying bit. I had two invalidated laps in the 33.0's and even a 32.9.

My 32.9 split which went red at the chicane. I must have cut it by one too many centimeters. :mad:

And a video of one of my 33.0's which I lost when the car decided to understeer into oblivion as I was exiting the final corner. :mad:

🤣 I can just feel the dissapointment by watching that lap, I'm sure you will get it mate, I haven't returned to the GTR and I'm not going to 🤣 the frustration of multiple sub 1:01 splits on S2 but never nailing it is not return worthy for me 🤣, understeer shenanigans and "come on Jom, just one corner to go, you got this " and then completely bin it has been enough for me 🤣🤣 definitely a one week trial for me 😁

Saint Croix isn't so bad on the pad, definitely not easy but setting a descent gold time should not be to hard for you once you figure out the car and have taken some blind entry bravepills, it's fast, I'll tell you that 🤣 but absolutely not so bad as you would expect 😉

Well, I did 4 more laps last night, and during each one my lap improved my about a second each. Now, I'm at 2'48.775 but that's still a good ways away from silver, so I may just have to take my bronze. I'm more concerned about my mother.

@Dolph Drago I wouldn't be disappointed too much, you'll get the hang of it, I'm getting frustrated at Turn 1 and 2, if I can point my car in the right direction as soon as I press on the gas I can clip the corner well and get a high exit speed. 50% of the time I hit the rod thing and then my lap is toast. So annoying.

Last edited:
Has anyone that has done a NOPE on the Genesis VGT trial actually tried it? ITS FUN!!!
I can only echo this sentiment. I can understand why the track isn't everyone's favourite, but what I like about it is that it doesn't have a single make-or-break corner that you have to nail perfectly, there's a lot of room for error and gradual improvement here. Plus the car is really predictable, so if you do mess up, it never feels unfair. And this adds up to a very addictive combination, the "ah come on, just one more lap" factor is strong here :D

So here's what I got currently:

1728720462456.png

Already quite pleased with this, but again, lots of room for improvement. I compared my lap to @Gomario JSP 's, and found that I am ahead of him by half a second at the end of S2, then lose most of it again in the latter half of the lap. So getting at least close to 2:39.xxx should not be impossible. We'll see ;)

Happy lapping folks!

Really enjoyed the TT in the GTR. My optimals are in the 33's, I just can't get a feel for the brakes. It does feel a bit strange after this latest update.

Not really looking forward to the VGT time trial, but it seems like a good few of you here are enjoying it, so I'll save my thoughts on that one until I give it a go... hopefully soon.

Happy hunting folks :cheers:

1927fd29c5067-screenshotUrl.jpg

Happy hunting to you @Gogga! I'm not spending a lot more time at St. Croissant, xD. When I get to an almost silver time I'm stopping dead on! There's too many sharp turns to remember and the part after the bridge always gets tricky.

Stop It Nikki Glaser GIF by Comedy Central Stand-Up

Last edited:
Happy hunting to you @Gogga! I'm not spending a lot more time at St. Croissant, xD. When I get to an almost silver time I'm stopping dead on! There's too many sharp turns to remember and the part after the bridge always gets tricky.

Stop It Nikki Glaser GIF by Comedy Central Stand-Up
I am also not familiar with this track. Going to be a bit of a learning curve for me as well.

I'd suggest turning on the racing line for a bit just to familiarize yourself with the track and where all the braking zones/turns are.

Good luck Chris, you got this :cheers:

I can only echo this sentiment. I can understand why the track isn't everyone's favourite, but what I like about it is that it doesn't have a single make-or-break corner that you have to nail perfectly, there's a lot of room for error and gradual improvement here. Plus the car is really predictable, so if you do mess up, it never feels unfair. And this adds up to a very addictive combination, the "ah come on, just one more lap" factor is strong here :D

So here's what I got currently:

View attachment 1396434

Already quite pleased with this, but again, lots of room for improvement. I compared my lap to @Gomario JSP 's, and found that I am ahead of him by half a second at the end of S2, then lose most of it again in the latter half of the lap. So getting at least close to 2:39.xxx should not be impossible. We'll see ;)

Happy lapping folks!

That is indeed entirely true!, I had a real bad S1 at 24.1 and a real bad 46.4 split on S2 , but managed reasonable S' es and the 2 slow corners before the bridge.
You have a nice steady lap, seems very stable, I was all over the place 🤣🤣, maby ill get more stable on my second session 😁🤣

But what you said is very true, no have to nail corners for a good time, there is so much room to gain, that makes is quite fun!

Very nice lap mate, keep going, let's see how far you can get! 😁👽😁

Latest Posts

Back