Totalled my car tonight. Update: Pictures Posted

• Thread starter MistaX
  • 149 comments

But here's the only thing I really care about at the moment:

I'm going to build an LT1 RX7 FC, once I can manage to find an RX7 FC.

I have no idea why the airbags went off going so slow, I was shocked myself. I've hit potholes that caused more of a jolt than the front end impact did, and it only scratched the bumper

Oh man, that looks really bad! I can't even imagine what I would feel like if that would be my car. :nervous:

I'm sorry for what has happened. :ill:

Regards
the Interceptor

Wow. I'm really sorry about that. If you do get the opportunity to remove the engine, I hope it finds a nice home -- err -- car. At least you're OK.

Do people not read threads anymore?

3 point turn on level crossing
loses grip on tracks
car gets stuck in ditch
airbags deploy for some unknown reason
car gets hit by train

daan
loses grip on tracks
car gets stuck in ditch
But how, exactly? Cars don't easily lose traction at 5 mph, even in a torrent, even on track crossings.

I guess if I knew the site, it would make more sense.

Those pictures are gruesome! Dang... It's just mangled. So did the train push the car out of the way or did it drag it a bit? Did you see it happen?

Thats not MistaX!
Anyaway, Mist, damn that looks really, really bad.
At least the engine seems ok.

And why arent there those barriers that go down when the train comes?

kylehnat
But how, exactly? Cars don't easily lose traction at 5 mph, even in a torrent, even on track crossings.
I know not. I'm only relating what has been posted, not neccessarily believing it.

daan
I know not. I'm only relating what has been posted, not neccessarily believing it.
That's why I'm hoping MistaX can clear it up. Normal u-Turn --> hit by train is not a very transparent sequence of events.

I think it was a combination of things:
MistaX
It was raining.
(...)
There's those metal or rubber things that make the tracks form into a road.
These things can be very slippery when wet. In a fairly strong RWD car, you can easily spin out I suppose.

EDIT: and it even makes sense that the airbags deployed:
MistaX
the car heads straight into a little ditch, and the front bumper hits the set of railroad tracks there.
Even if you're slow, hitting such a solid target can be quite a crash.

Regards
the Interceptor

daan
Those tracks are super slippery in the wet. Anything above a feather of gas will spin the car out if it's RWD, and with RWD and a V8, it probably spun out pretty good.

the Interceptor
In a fairly strong RWD car, you can easily spin out I suppose.
RWD cars are only tail-happy when the driver is throttle-happy.

MistaX, it really sucks that you lost your car (especially since you can't collect insurance on it), and it's good that everyone is okay, but I have a hard time believing that everything was completely out of your control, and that this couldn't have been avoided.

MistaX
What was I going to do, move it with the airbags deployed? I'm not even sure the car would start after that. I didn't try. But I'm sure theres some safety thing where the car cannot be started with the airbags deployed.
Actually you could have moved it as most cars still run after airbag deployment. It's when then the airbags don't deploy after getting in an accident that you have to be careful because they can go at anytime.

Edit: It looks like your map mirrors are on which means your battery is still hooked up. If you plan on using the car I'd probably unhook it just in case.

Interceptor has it right. I don't really understand how he can figure out what happend and yet no one else can.

I wasn't doing anything stupid, I just wanted to make a damn U-Turn.

Acid X
What's up with that? Guy loses his car and people try to talk crap saying he's a bad driver? Pff.

Well, fair's fair, he's not exactly Michael Schumacher is he, spinning at 5mph?

Oh, right.

kylehnat
RWD cars are only tail-happy when the driver is throttle-happy.

MistaX, it really sucks that you lost your car (especially since you can't collect insurance on it), and it's good that everyone is okay, but I have a hard time believing that everything was completely out of your control, and that this couldn't have been avoided.
It can happen anytime. I saw people in the rain understeering and hitting other cars going 20 mph around a 40 mph turn. In rain/snow, you can lose control in the weirdest of ways.

MistaX
Interceptor has it right. I don't really understand how he can figure out what happend and yet no one else can.
And I don't understand why the others don't, I just quoted what you said. And I can easily imagine to spin even a less powerful car on a set of those wet rubber thingies and tracks. Remember guys, he was turning at the time, and not going straight.

EDIT: I remember I accidently spun the back tires of a 120 hp 4-cylinder Ford on wet leaves some time ago when leaving a parking lot, and I wasn't in a hurry. And that car was nowhere as powerful or torquey.

Regards
the Interceptor

That will buff right out.

but seriously.. Jesus christ, I'm so sorry to hear that. I even drove that z28. :indiff:

RIP

You buy the FC rx7 and an engine hoist, i'll bring an air compressor and the tools.

Well, MistaX, at least you gave the car one good burnout before it was mangled.:guilty:

Have your parents discussed anything about another car?
Or are they still working with the accident?

You hit a train?

That Sucks.
I killed my Camry a few months back and feel your pain- FC or cheese, wrecking your car is always devastating. :ouch:

Good luck with getting back on the road.
Later. :cheers:

Raghavan
In rain/snow, you can lose control in the weirdest of ways.
As a native Seattleite, I've driven thousands of miles over wet roads, tracks, grass, dirt, whatever. The term "wet road" is redundant in this part of the country for 7 months out of the year. (I'm sure our UK members can relate). I've never had a problem on any surface, in any car, going that slowly, even on ice.

This is the reason that I am still hung up on the fact that MistaX (who has shown off the love of his right foot on these very boards), trying to make a simple U-turn, ended up with his car being hit by a train. From what he has described, I just can't see it happening without a little "oops" moment as well. Am I calling him a bad driver? No. We all make mistakes now and again, but the important thing is to realize that the outcome is not a result of Jupiter, Neptune, and Pluto all being aligned. Michael Schumacher calls these gaffes "a failure of the piece between the steering wheel and fuel cell."

Back