Totalled my car tonight. Update: Pictures Posted

• Thread starter MistaX
  • 149 comments
Well, I guess you can say that MistaX pushed the accelerator too hard, cause if he hadn't, the car wouldn't have spun - simple logic. But that does not mean that he actually did press it very hard, cause as stated before, you can break traction on those surfaces very easily. Maybe even stroking the throttle would've been too much already. In certain situations, even small amounts of power can be too much.

Regards
the Interceptor

He said that the peices of "road" in between the rails are rubber. Wet rubber on wet rubber good traction does not make.

Why on earth are we questioning a guys driving ability when it's not his fault the car is destroyed?! The cop called and asked for all trains on that track to stop, and then one comes barreling along and plasters his Camaro. All he was doing was tying to get to work. He's had a rough enough day. leave him alone.

High-Test
All he was doing was tying to get to work. He's had a rough enough day. leave him alone.
All right, all right, I'm-a backin' down. I'll file this accident under the "**** happens" category, and leave it at that. I have to leave for graduation now anyway :).

Kent
You hit a train?

That Sucks.
I killed my Camry a few months back and feel your pain- FC or cheese, wrecking your car is always devastating. :ouch:

Good luck with getting back on the road.
Later. :cheers:

I think the train hit him.

Those pics are pretty vicious aye, it's amazing that the car survived so well at the front. How fast was the train going?

You might be able to say that the cloud has a silver lining though because a LT1 FC would be one hell of a quick car :)

Famine
Well, fair's fair, he's not exactly Michael Schumacher is he, spinning at 5mph?
Oh, right.

im still trying to figure out if that was a brilliant ploy to get a better position or not...ploy

kylehnat
As a native Seattleite, I've driven thousands of miles over wet roads, tracks, grass, dirt, whatever. The term "wet road" is redundant in this part of the country for 7 months out of the year. (I'm sure our UK members can relate). I've never had a problem on any surface, in any car, going that slowly, even on ice.

This is the reason that I am still hung up on the fact that MistaX (who has shown off the love of his right foot on these very boards), trying to make a simple U-turn, ended up with his car being hit by a train. From what he has described, I just can't see it happening without a little "oops" moment as well. Am I calling him a bad driver?

if you don’t believe it happened let it go, its not big deal to you. if you think he rammed his car into the train on purpose let that be what you think but you don’t necessarily have to post it. imagine your car being totaled for no apparent fault on you? just let it be and take your doubts somewhere else

Sad news about the car indeed.

Good luck with future porjects though - think of this as an opportunity rather than a loss.

Sure, it hurts now. But in the future you'll likely build a better car - a car you'd never have built if the Camaro wasn't taken from you.

Onwards and upwards. :)

Dude I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your car man. I have an 98' Trans Am and if it got totaled right now I'd go suicidal. I hope the RX-7 idea pans out for ya so you can atleast get something out of this.

Oh, man. Sorry to see this happen, MistaX. I know I'd feel like a bag of crap if I lost my car.

So... Does this mean you're going to get collision on your next car?

Omnis
I think the train hit him.

Hmmm.

I hate to be so harsh on MistaX but...
Trains don't yield to cars, cars yield to trains.

If a car and train have a collision, 99% of the time it is the fault of the car's driver.
Trains take incredible distances to stop- cars don't.

If a train hits you and you weren't pushed onto the tracks (like "Lethal Weapon 4") and your car didn't stall on the tracks then it is your fault.

Hate to make it simple but it is just that.

MistaX
So I back up a bit, and start making a U-Turn on the tracks (There's those metal or rubber things that make the tracks form into a road)

Sorry for the loss mate. But were you going forward or reverse when you were making a U-Turn? Can we have a diagram?

Wow, John, you really loved that car yet not too long after you bought it it's totalled like that...

I'm very sorry to hear that. :(

Kind of easy to say when you're not even old enough to have a car. Believe me, in a few years time, you'll know why this is nowhere near funny. :rolleyes:

Regards
the Interceptor

@the Interceptor Whether u believe it or not, 16 1/2 is the legal driving age in australia :)

I'm not laughing at the fact his car got totalled, i'm more laughing at HOW it happened.

sutton.a
@the Interceptor Whether u believe it or not, 16 1/2 is the legal driving age in australia :)
Oh, is it? Well, there's not much around there to hit. :D

sutton.a
I'm not laughing at the fact his car got totalled, i'm more laughing at HOW it happened.
I must agree, but laughing at this might not be what MistaX needs at the moment. :sly:

Regards
the Interceptor

Casio
Sorry for the loss mate. But were you going forward or reverse when you were making a U-Turn? Can we have a diagram?

I was in 1st, turning to the left when it spun.

----\\\\----

That's basicly what the site looks like. 2 sets of tracks. They're on a bit "steeper" of an angle. I can't really draw up a proper diagram. I'd actually have to get pictures of it to really properly show what happend.

Kent
Hmmm.

I hate to be so harsh on MistaX but...
Trains don't yield to cars, cars yield to trains.

If a car and train have a collision, 99% of the time it is the fault of the car's driver.
Trains take incredible distances to stop- cars don't.

If a train hits you and you weren't pushed onto the tracks (like "Lethal Weapon 4") and your car didn't stall on the tracks then it is your fault.

Hate to make it simple but it is just that.

Did you actually read how it happened?

The literacy rate of the western world is somewhere around 97%, but the GTP members certainly aren't showing it in this thread.

I stepped into the thread at page 4 and didn't realize I was looking at such a late part of the thread.
The post I saw was the first post of page 4 and pictures were listed.

When I asked about how it happend (innocent enough) I got a "I think the train hit him" response and that was all.

Sorry about my mistake (in not reading the first post of the first page).

I'll be sure to not make that mistake again. :ouch:
(I'll also be sure to jump on you guys about the same sort of thing if I have the chance ;) ).

That said, I think my comments still hold some weight. :odd:
After all, he did spin out on the tracks, which is his fault and left the train only a small chance of not destroying his car.

I sorry the accident happend.
I'm also sorry to be the guy who puts blame on the car's driver and not the train's driver. :ouch:

In any case, ease up on me guys! :jeez:
I asked what happend, I gave sincere sympathy for the driver, and I gave an honest opinion about who's fault it is when a train and car collide- was I really doing something that bad?

Oh and "High Test" please remember there is a difference between being able to read and simply over-looking what needs to be read.

Any way, I still feel bad about what happend to you (mistaX)... Good luck next time (and remember to be careful about spinning out with those RWD'ers).

:cheers:

MistaX came here looking for sympathy, and possibly advice.
I think that a simple 'be careful with the throttle... even if that's not what caused this. Sorry about the accident.' or something along those lines would suffice. It doesnt really matter whether he DID or DIDNT push it too much, he had an accident, he proved it to us, and we should feel right sorry for him.
How would you feel if YOUR car got hit by a train and people just started accusing you of reckless driving?
Anyway, what kind of idiot would floor it in the rain in such a situation?

OK, listen here. :(

I am very sorry and very sympathetic to MistaX.

In fact, I wonder if anyone read my first post. ;)

I just wrecked my car (on oct. 31 2005).
I went through the entire ordeal and totally understand how bad it is to lose a car. :ouch:

That alone should be enough to let you all know (and most specifically MistaX) that I am sorry, I do sympathize with you.

However, I took responsibility for my accident (as it was my fault) and I would hope for the same from anyone else (which btw, I am glad to see that MistaX hasn't blamed the train).

However, the idea of the train being at fault has come up and it has been humored.
That is what I respond to when the idea of "fault" comes up.

I'm not looking to bash on MistaX.
I'm just looking to have an honest discussion where I can be open about my thoughts. 👍

That said, once again...
Sorry MistaX.
Best wishes to you, good luck replacing the car.

Sorry for your loss John. I make fun of you and the car all the time, but losing a it like that just blows...

On a lighter note, does this mean you'll finally get around to shaving off the mullet?

it was an accident, noones fault just unfortunate circumstance, why didnt the cops put the road closed sign before the track so cars dont cross it then turn around and face such dangers as demonstrated? :odd:

Sorry to hear about the accident. I can't believe you didn't get the full coverage though. In the (kind of)newer car like that, I think it'd be crazy not to have a full. I'm glad you made it out OK. I wish I could have traded place with you. I had full + gap insurance, and do not like my car. :D j/k

rualeb
if you don’t believe it happened let it go, its not big deal to you. if you think he rammed his car into the train on purpose let that be what you think but you don’t necessarily have to post it. imagine your car being totaled for no apparent fault on you? just let it be and take your doubts somewhere else
I have to disagree with you there. Unfortunately, there are some people who would make a story like this to get others going. I wonder if you were around when another prominent member made up a story of an auto accident? He doesn't come around here much anymore(for a good reason), but it did get really ugly. If it weren't for couple of members that questioned him(like in this thread), he would have gotten away with it.

While MistaX's accident is a freakish one, I can see it happening. You just need to add a zero at the end of "5" mph(j/k). Anyways, I look at what kyle and daan did as a service to everybody here. 👍

Unlucky to loose such a great car but it could have been worse in 2 ways.

1) You were driving your new Pagani Zonda home from the showroom and the train hit it.

2) You were in the car when the train hit it

Back