Totalled my car tonight. Update: Pictures Posted

• Thread starter MistaX
  • 149 comments
Casio
Sorry for the loss mate. But were you going forward or reverse when you were making a U-Turn? Can we have a diagram?

I think he means he backed up to allow some room to turn around cuz he was to close to the roadblock.

a6m5
Sorry to hear about the accident. I can't believe you didn't get the full coverage though. In the (kind of)newer car like that, I think it'd be crazy not to have a full. I'm glad you made it out OK. I wish I could have traded place with you. I had full + gap insurance, and do not like my car. :D j/k

I don't think he had it because its very expensive on a car like that expecially when yoou're a young guy.

I only have the bare minimum on my car ( basically the same car ) but its titled to my dad to get cheaper insurance.

xXSilencerXx
I don't think he had it because its very expensive on a car like that expecially when yoou're a young guy.
I know, I fully understood. I guess in a way, I was saying that if you can't afford to insure it, you shouldn't be driving it. But I understand it's such a dilemma. When you are young, you wanna drive a sports car. But if you are young, insurance company will charge obscene amount of premium for the coverage you need. Then again, younger drivers(in general ;)) are the most accident-prone drivers, so you can't really blame the insurance for taking the fun cars out of young drivers' reach. :indiff:

MistaX, it's terrible that you had to lose your Z28 in such an odd, unexpected incident... :guilty: ...but I'm still trying to figure out how exactly it happened.

Maybe this will help us all visualize it -- my guess is that the following happened:

mistax9ws.gif

MistaX, having run into the blockade, decides to make a U-turn. His rear wheels are on the wet whatever-it-is-those-things-are-made-of, located between the tracks.

The wheels lose traction and spin. Because MistaX's front wheels were turned to full lock to make a U-turn, his car begins doing a donut.

The front of the car dips into the low ground between the tracks, crashing into one of the sets of tracks and setting off the airbags. The rear of the car is left hanging over the other set of tracks. The train eventually comes through and makes its "attack."

Is that pretty much how it happened, MistaX? Or am I completely off?

Nice diagram Wolfe, clears things up a bit.

Now I wonder why the barrier wasn't before the crossing then?

Doing some research. And since you were going...

MistaX

And

^That link^
Most American cars deploy in frontal crashes equaling the severity of a crash into a wall at a speed of from 8 to 12 mph.

And

^That link^
Driver side airbags have a low deployment speed between 8 to 11 mph that trigger an airbag off in a collision,

And

^That link^
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Air bags are typically designed to deploy in frontal and near-frontal collisions, which are comparable to hitting a solid barrier at approximately 8 to 14 miles per hour (mph).

And

^That link^
[/FONT]Air bags are typically designed to deploy in frontal and near-frontal collisions, which are comparable to hitting a solid barrier at approximately 8 to 14 miles per hour (mi/h) (13 to 23 km/h)

Maybe you should sue the car maker for causing the air-bags to go off, thus, causing you to lose your car.

I had a discussion with someone who has been in more accedents than I have, and he said:

"You mostlikely hit right where the sensor was, causing it [the airbags] to go off. You have to understand cars have sensors in the front, rear, and sides. Just because the jolt wasn't severe to you, it was to the sensor."

I'm not going to blame the car. I'm not blaming anyone or anything.

The loss of my car was caused by just a large combination of unfortunate coincidences.

The roadblock should have been before the tracks, yes. The cop who claims he called ahead to stop the trains mostlikely didn't. Or if he did, those who heard the warning reacted too slowly. The owner of the gas station where my car is right now said "You know what sucks? That wreck wasn't your fault at all. They put those rubber things around the tracks from people complaining about the bumps. Your car is the tenth or twelvth we've gotten for the same reason. Those tracks are unsafe."

And I can continue, but theres no point. Complaining won't get me my car back. I've come to terms with the loss, and I'm not blaming anyone for it.

I'm just going to move on.

MistaX
"You mostlikely hit right where the sensor was, causing it [the airbags] to go off. You have to understand cars have sensors in the front, rear, and sides. Just because the jolt wasn't severe to you, it was to the sensor."

Yep, that was what I was thinking. It's actually quite common.

MistaX

And move on you should. I know you've suffered a huge loss in the value of the car both fiscally and emotionally, but there are two simple facts here: In an accident that destroyed your car, and which was largely caused by your driving error (which left you in the ditch), nobody else was hurt and you were not hurt. It sounds terribly twee, but cars can be replaced; people cannot.

Whoa reading this reminded me of the movie "Final destination". Now that is some bad luck and I am sorry to hear about the loss. Unbelievable pics!:dunce:

MistaX
I had a discussion with someone who has been in more accedents than I have, and he said:

I'm not going to blame the car. I'm not blaming anyone or anything.

The loss of my car was caused by just a large combination of unfortunate coincidences.

The roadblock should have been before the tracks, yes. The cop who claims he called ahead to stop the trains mostlikely didn't. Or if he did, those who heard the warning reacted too slowly. The owner of the gas station where my car is right now said "You know what sucks? That wreck wasn't your fault at all. They put those rubber things around the tracks from people complaining about the bumps. Your car is the tenth or twelvth we've gotten for the same reason. Those tracks are unsafe."

And I can continue, but theres no point. Complaining won't get me my car back. I've come to terms with the loss, and I'm not blaming anyone for it.

Maybe you can complain to the city you live in to remove those things so future accidents don't happen like that.
At least your engine is ok, and you can stick it in an RX-7 or Miata.👍

I just don't fully understand the logic in this. The kid with close to no experience what so ever with a RWD couldn't handle 285hp in a 3400 lbs car...and now if I get this right the plan is to transplant the motor in a lighter Mazda RX-7 body. Your plan my friend sounds pretty damm genius to me. 👍

Sorry for your loss but history might just repeat itself with the direction you seem to follow.

eatsviper4lunch
I just don't fully understand the logic in this. The kid with close to no experience what so ever with a RWD couldn't handle 285hp in a 3400 lbs car...and now if I get this right the plan is to transplant the motor in a lighter Mazda RX-7 body. Your plan my friend sounds pretty damm genius to me. 👍

Sorry for your loss but history might just repeat itself with the direction you seem to follow.
You read the thread, right? The car was only going 5 Mph, and he lost traction on the tracks. I doubt the power of the car has anything to do with it. Other cars have lost control on them before.

Plus, his whole engine-swap idea is gone now. He's sold the remains of the car.

G.T
You read the thread, right? The car was only going 5 Mph, and he lost traction on the tracks. I doubt the power of the car has anything to do with it. Other cars have lost control on them before.

Plus, his whole engine-swap idea is gone now. He's sold the remains of the car.

Good to know, might save him couple of $$$. So what's the new buy you're considering now MistaX?

MistaX

But here's the only thing I really care about at the moment:

I'm going to build an LT1 RX7 FC, once I can manage to find an RX7 FC.

I have no idea why the airbags went off going so slow, I was shocked myself. I've hit potholes that caused more of a jolt than the front end impact did, and it only scratched the bumper

Well that's ****ed

You should sue the state of New York and invest the settlement money in oil fields. Then you buy seven Porsche Cayennes and one Volvo.

Oh, right.

GT4_Rule
Where did the one Volvo come from...?
Safest car on the road, would probably withstand a train hititng it, leaving the train looking like those photos. Sorry to hear about your loss MistaX, that was one fine car!

VIPERGTSR01
Only longer term GTP members will understand sn00pie's joke.

Yep. Here's a clue. It was a situation similar to the BXgate affair, but much less fanfare, and pre 2004.

sn00pie
You should sue the state of New York and invest the settlement money in oil fields. Then you buy seven Porsche Cayennes and one Volvo.

Oh, right.

You forgot the Kleemann supercharged CLK and spending the rest of your life trawling around photographing cars and posting VIN facts and figures ;)

And the grey-market Lancia Delta Integrale... that you plan to use to commute between LA and Vegas.

I've only got one memory of something similar, M5Power right?

Anyways, sorry for your loss, it's a big shame. Must have been a right shock climbing out of the car only to realise where it ended up!

Duke
And the grey-market Lancia Delta Integrale... that you plan to use to commute between LA and Vegas.

Cos you'd always choose an unreliable Italian car with short service intervals to drive through hot, barren desert on a regular basis... :sly:

we digress

Donbenni is right, it was M5Power. (Small_Fryz beat me to it though)

Such a shame to see a nice car get wrecked like that. Though the events that happened would not be out of place in some kind of slapstick comedy.

Latest Posts

Back