Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,733 comments
upload_2019-1-10_20-38-50.png

upload_2019-1-10_20-39-16.png

upload_2019-1-10_20-40-21.png

It really is a good looking car, but the details of its performance & price/options will be the most interesting. This car could struggle after the first year sales in the US if the rumored pricing is as high as expected. I really hope not, though.

We know the Supra won't be in the same performance segment as the Nissan GT-R and Honda NSX, which I cannot help feeling is a mistake in some ways. It was always a rival for those and they were the poster cars for Japanese performance. Perhaps the Celica name would be better suited to the 350bhp region.

On the other hand, I am happy they kept a platform which will lead to the inevitable crazy modded versions.

I am also sorely tempted.

Thing is, Supra didn't seem like a direct competitor to those. The 300ZXTT and RX-7 were its main rivals.
Once the gentleman's agreement ended, R34 died and R35 GT-R was born to take on the world.

Just like the MkI Supra, the A90 is more like a Z-car competitor. To me, 86 falls in between the AE86 and a Celica.

Just like the MkI Supra, the A90 is more like a Z-car competitor. To me, 86 falls in between the AE86 and a Celica.
That's how I see it too.

That big group of 90s Japanese cars is only really considered rivals due to them having the same power outputs. In reality the Supra has always been more of a GT than a sports car (high performance but heavy and not that sharp to drive), like the 300ZX. The NSX and RX-7 have always struck me more as being the sports cars, while the R35 shows the direction Nissan probably would have gone even earlier were it not for the gentleman's agreement nominally limiting them to 280PS.

I'm really excited by this new Supra though. While it shares basic bits with the BMW the two brands went in essentially completely different directions after the project started. I think it looks great too - I can live with the nose (though I'd be interested to see what the aftermarket does, or what Toyota itself does if there's a GRMN version) and the rest of it works well for me too. The A80 was a fat old hippo but the A90 looks more like a sports car.

It's based on the Toyota Ft1 which looks better than that supra.

I don't think anyone will be surprised that the production model doesn't look quite as striking as the concept did. When you're freed by the constraints brought about by the regulations for production cars in all the global markets plus factors like practicality and usability that concept cars can largely ignore, you can easily produce something that looks amazing. Making that concept a reality is much tougher. Especially when you have to share a platform with something quite different. Although it's long gestation period has robbed the now (unofficially) unveiled Supra of any impact, i think it looks much better than any of the spied mules led me to believe it would look. I bet it will look much less frumpy in the flesh too.

I like it, looks good. I think it needs some sort of a wing on the rear, nothing large or obnoxious, just something simple.

I don't think anyone will be surprised that the production model doesn't look quite as striking as the concept did. When you're freed by the constraints brought about by the regulations for production cars in all the global markets plus factors like practicality and usability that concept cars can largely ignore, you can easily produce something that looks amazing. Making that concept a reality is much tougher. Especially when you have to share a platform with something quite different. Although it's long gestation period has robbed the now (unofficially) unveiled Supra of any impact, i think it looks much better than any of the spied mules led me to believe it would look. I bet it will look much less frumpy in the flesh too.
Unfortunately this car was designed to fit the platform, rather than the platform being designed for the original concept. Makes it look all squished and disproportionate. I'm sure once the aftermarket gets their hands on it, things might change for me.

It looks pretty good. I'm still not sold on the headlights, but I suppose they take the current Toyota family look and merge it with the A80's basic shape in a way that works as best as that reasonably could. The intakes beside the headlights are a little odd too, and that F1-style bumper isn't the best. Looks great in profile. I'm guessing that little slit above the wheels is meant to tie it together with the GT86?

Now for the specs and performance to be released. And crucially, the price. I feel like the GT86 hasn't exactly lit up the sales charts after its initial first two years, and I'm wondering if the Supra will escape that fate. Priced right, it could plug a nice hole in the market since the Z is ancient, while the Mustang is enormous and lacking a V6. Over all these past few months, I've felt a little disappointment at the idea the engine will be pretty much an exact carry-over of the Z4 in terms of power output, but the more I think about it, keeping the price reasonable is far better than cranking up the HP figure — especially because that'll undoubtedly be a simple procedure for the aftermarket, in true Supra form.

I mean it looks nice, but the previous model has such a timeless and unique design, it's kinda dissapointing. Looks like a beefed up GT 86 to me. It was the same for the new NSX, nothing in common with the original beast designed with the help of Ayrton Senna, just a nice looking, but generic modern supercar. Maybe I'm getting old.

I mean it looks nice, but the previous model has such a timeless and unique design, it's kinda dissapointing. Looks like a beefed up GT 86 to me. It was the same for the new NSX, nothing in common with the original beast designed with the help of Ayrton Senna, just a nice looking, but generic modern supercar. Maybe I'm getting old.

I like it (and the new NSX) from every angle. I don't know that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread... but it's sooooo much better than the transformer running shoe we get from everyone (including Toyota).

This is gonna be blasphemy in here, but I'm a fan of blasphemy so.... I like it better than any of the prior Supras.

supra_generations.jpg

It is mostly the center piece of the front grill that throws me off on its looks. The MKIV Supra of the 1990s- beautiful all around. I do like the fastback profile of this new Supra. It sort of pays homage to its godfather (and one of my all-time favorite cars), the Toyota 2000GT. And to be honest, I never considered the MKIV Supra a "boy racer" because of that tall rear spoiler. The absence of that tall spoiler doesn't hurt my view of this new Supra. This is instead a more mature Supra infused with a lot of the latest styling cues on Toyota and Lexus models.

We are all probably going to have to get used to this design and this style for years to come until the next Supra somehow surfaces. It's much like how we all got used to the somewhat unusual profile of the Nissan GT-R. If I had to grade this new Supra based on the images provided by ProjectWHaT in Post #1204, I'm going to give this Supra an A-. It is a lovely car, but not lovely enough to be gorgeous. It is still a car I would love to see in person.

In my experience the NSX looks vastly better out on the road than it does at a motor show or in pictures, and I suspect the Supra will be similar.

Still don't get the love for the A80 though. Timeless certainly isn't a word I'd use - the slightly blobby styling could only have been a product of the 1990s, and it was later rendered less unique by the 6th-gen Celica using very similar form language, particularly in the roofline and the rear haunches (and honestly, the T200-generation Celica is more attractive to me, being a tighter shape with more distinctive features).

So I'm with @Danoff - to me, this is the best-looking Supra yet (though in the right colour, ideally black, I do like the second-gen).

I'm definitely getting a hint of A80 Supra from those headlights. I still like the styling of the A80 the most out of all the Supras but this one is still a looker IMO, and bizarrely I think the front end looks better with a number plate in place. Also is it just me or does it look like it's riding a bit high up here? I might open up Photoshop later and have a go at lowering it a bit as I think it will look way better without so much space between the ground and the bottom of the car.

In my experience the NSX looks vastly better out on the road than it does at a motor show or in pictures, and I suspect the Supra will be similar.

Still don't get the love for the A80 though. Timeless certainly isn't a word I'd use - the slightly blobby styling could only have been a product of the 1990s, and it was later rendered less unique by the 6th-gen Celica using very similar form language, particularly in the roofline and the rear haunches (and honestly, the T200-generation Celica is more attractive to me, being a tighter shape with more distinctive features).

So I'm with @Danoff - to me, this is the best-looking Supra yet (though in the right colour, ideally black, I do like the second-gen).

I like the sentiment that MkIV might not even be the best of the prior Supras. It's one of those cars that looks a lot better modded, and looks better in photos than on the road (for me of course). But I think I might go MkIII out of all of the prior Supra models (in terms of looks).

I totally agree that the current NSX looks better in person. Actually I think that's true of the original NSX as well. Some cars seem to photograph better than others. Some are a letdown in person, and some are a welcome surprise. It's an odd phenomenon.

Edit:

Gah, MkIII vs. MkIV is a tough call for me. They're soooo different in styling. Apples and oranges.

Back