Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,733 comments
I actually have warmed to the A70 Supra the most. A60 is kinda neat, but it seems vague in purpose. Never been a huge fan of the A80. Definitely not a fan of the way the new car looks either.

MkII and MkIII are my favourites. The seats and wheels from the MkII are the best(even when cars were customised by locals in The Bronx, back in the 80s, they kept the seats stock).

The MKIII threw me off, when me and a cousin tried to fit in the "back seat" at the NY Auto Show. However, it reaching 156mph during an Automobile Magazine test, made it a dream GT car, next to, another favourite at the time, 928S.

I'm not a fan of the headlights or the rear valance/diffuser/exhaust housing black rectangle. The overall shape has me(that ducktail spoiler, should also be on the 86). Also, GR "testing" its endurance at the N24. Definitely hoping to see a track version or GRMN Customer Racing program, for production car racing.

I'm sure it will have a lot of engineering and performance prowess but it's not a looker in my opinion, especially that nose. The A80 will always be my favourite and this new one could have looked a tad more like it with a bit of tweaking.

I'm not disliking the ne Supra but it looks so small and narrow. I want to see it in person before I can say if I like it or not.

It just looks like a redesigned 86 to me and I can't get over it. The proportions are giving me 86 and BRZ vibes. Doesn't have that low mean look the FT1 had.
It's funny you say that...I was thinking the same thing, but a little further. From the side, it looks as if a last gen Viper GTS coupe and Gt86 got cozy and its offspring is the new Supra. Still like it.

Here's a bit of irony. At first glance, the GT500 GR Supra, looks similar to the Gr.3 FT-1 Race car, in GT Sport.

Anyway, can't wait to see a Top Secret or RIDOX Supras. Since the cars aren't targeted for big sale numbers(I still think Japan will sell loads of them), should be interesting how many hit the tuner scene.

Maybe it will look better in real life, but not really liking it at all. It looks like a BMW Z4 with a FT-1 body kit and doesn't seem to pull it off. I way prefer the proportions that most Supras had where the cabin is closer to the middle of the car, I never liked cars with long bonnets and short arses.

v5jwdkq5isouq4nxhoov.jpg

mmgoungmxnvgy19y9w4q.jpg

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/official-2020-supra-images-theyre-real-and-theyre-spectacular.1501/

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/the-unofficial-pricing-u-s-2020-supra-models.1500/

Base 3.0 six cylinder: $49,990
Premium 3.0 six cylinder: $53,990
Launch edition 3.0 six cylinder: $55,250

Base 3.0 six cylinder: $49,990
Premium 3.0 six cylinder: $53,990
Launch edition 3.0 six cylinder: $55,250
To put this into perspective:

1998 Toyota Supra Turbo
$40,508 ($62,403.94 in today's money)
320 hp

2019 BMW Z4 M40i (6 cyl)
$64,695
382 hp

2019 BMW Z4 30i (4 cyl)
$50,695
255 hp

The Supra should make around the same power as the Z4 M40i (since they use the same engine)

I don't think it looks too bad, even when the ft1 design is compact that much. I think the Supra may do just fine, but of course only time will tell.

---
Offtopic, why didn't Toyota ever consider using one of their existing platforms to make a Mark V Supra though? Like the Lexus RC? I mean, if they just took the platform along with the engine options from RC, but got rid of the luxury bits; wouldn't that work? Was the platform just too outdated to use or something?

Last edited:
At those prices, in Australia, it could be close to $76kAUD.
A Mustang EcoBoost is $55kAUD(Auto)
V8 is $67kAUD(Auto)

The 370Z and S2000 debuted at such high prices. Now, a 370Z goes for around $55k after NISSAN slashed pricing.
Edit: 370Z NISMO $60k

Last edited:
I don't think it looks too bad, even when the ft1 design is compact that much. I think the Supra may do just fine, but of course only time will tell.

---
Offtopic, why didn't Toyota ever consider using one of their existing platforms to make a Mark V Supra though? Like the Lexus RC? I mean, if they just took the platform along with the engine options from RC, but got rid of the luxury bits; wouldn't that work? Was the platform just too outdated to use or something?
The RC is incredibly heavy.

The RC is incredibly heavy.
Yeah, I got that, but wouldn't a hypotheical RC platform Supra be able to do something about the weight problem? I was under the assumption that some of the RC's weight was down to Luxury things. or was the RC-F the lightest that platform could be?

I sort of feel like this is a analog to the GT86/BRZ thing again.

They couldnt afford to use their own chassis on the Supra so they shared it with BMW... I can see why.... the need for two seat cabin back coupes convertibles is small.

Then again explain why there's an RC-F and that new LC500 thing?

Also might come down to cost and the cost to re-engineer an RC chassis cheap and light enough for a Supra.

Then again explain why there's an RC-F and that new LC500 thing?

Also might come down to cost and the cost to re-engineer an RC chassis cheap and light enough for a Supra.
The RC series platform is definitely not a sporty platform. It's a mishmash of 3 different cars, the front end of the current GS, the mid section of a last gen IS convertible, and the rear of the current gen IS. Would this frankenstein contraption be suitable for a Supra? Image the outcry from that.

The LC series is built on the TNGA-L platform which is also used on the new LS series. Would a luxury platform be fit for a Supra? Again, many more people would be pretty mad about that.

I think Toyota teaming up with BMW to make a 2 door sports car from the ground up is a perfect solution for a problem that is caused only by enthusiasts. I'm sure they wouldn't mind not making a fun car.

The LC series is built on the TNGA-L platform which is also used on the new LS series. Would a luxury platform be fit for a Supra? Again, many more people would be pretty mad about that.

I sort of feel like you're giving detail that the avg. fan doesnt care about, certainly not what the avg. buyer cares about.

I think there's two audiences... potential fans, who may not be buyers and actual buyers.

Whether the car uses a platform (like VW's famed MQB etc.) no one out there cares... like if you're a guy who knows what suspension type it uses and like how the 86 and BMWs use sliding calipers and how this sort of thing isnt acceptable to some may skate over the heads of many fans and the media in particular.

I sort of feel like you're giving detail that the avg. fan doesnt care about, certainly not what the avg. buyer cares about.
I think the average fan would definitely care about it. There are a lot of people who are unhappy that it is using a shared platform with BMW. You criticized this too. Are you not an average fan?

Well I come from a perspective that you have to do what it takes to get things done.

It depends on what you define as 'average'. I dont feel like the avg. fan would care about the exact sort of brakes or suspension or even the type of engine it uses.

If you're talking a full of JDM guy who wants to relive the 2JZ JZA80 days then that's not 'average' any more.

I would note I read an interesting perspective where these Mexican leaks were deliberate. Toyota leaked all this stuff so it pre-emptively takes all the wind and press from those fans who are not quite average and wanted a 2JZ motor and so all the negative press gets done and out now and then when there's the "REAL" release the only people who are really interested are the 'real' buyers and the press can do ga-ga over this thing.

As I see it, this just another 86 again... there's that same buzz and then a few years down the line we take them as average.

Its also like how much press the Mustang got when it arrived in EU and other RHD places. Same thing.

I predict a few years down the line these things are all the roads just like the Mustang here and its no big deal.

This thing is hideous. It looks too bulbous and roundy, as if it were designed in the late aughties... oh wait.
So you're saying it's just like the last Supra then?
And people say it isn't a true Supra. Seriously? It's much closer to the original counterpart, unlike the current GT-R and NSX which are far detached from them.
I was with you for the first half of that post and then not for the last half :lol:

To me this is a pretty good continuation of where the last Supra left off so I agree on that part. I don't quite see how the other two are further removed from their own counterparts though - the R35 necessarily went to an all-new platform but otherwise continues the GT-R's legacy as a high-tech all-wheel drive sports car, while the NSX is still a compact, aluminium, mid-engined V6 sports car at its core. Both seem like appropriate replacements for me, particularly given that (like the Supra) there was a reasonably large gap between the previous car going off sale and the new one arriving - 6yrs for the GT-R, 11yrs for the NSX, 15yrs for the Supra.

I think what amazes me is how negative people are about it, like they'd prefer no Supra at all to one that isn't basically a re-hash of one launched a quarter of a century ago.
The RC series platform is definitely not a sporty platform. It's a mishmash of 3 different cars, the front end of the current GS, the mid section of a last gen IS convertible, and the rear of the current gen IS. Would this frankenstein contraption be suitable for a Supra? Image the outcry from that.

I think Toyota teaming up with BMW to make a 2 door sports car from the ground up is a perfect solution for a problem that is caused only by enthusiasts. I'm sure they wouldn't mind not making a fun car.
I reckon @ProjectWHaT pretty much nails it.

I drove the latest Lexus RC the other day (and have previously spent good time in the pre-facelift RC F) and while it has the right basic ingredients and is undoubtedly a good car in its own right, I'm not sure it'd work as a Supra. It's very heavy for its size (not far different to the bigger Lexus GS) and while the chassis is nice enough it doesn't really feel like a sports car. I don't doubt that the shared platform with the Z4 is a better starting point - and from what I understand, people are still massively overplaying the "it's a BMW thing" anyway - they use the same basic architecture and the same basic engine, but Toyota has very much gone its own route with actually developing the car.

I suppose it depends on your point of view though. The previous Supra was overweight and not as sharp as its rivals either, so maybe the RC would be perfect...

Well I come from a perspective that you have to do what it takes to get things done.

It depends on what you define as 'average'. I dont feel like the avg. fan would care about the exact sort of brakes or suspension or even the type of engine it uses.

If you're talking a full of JDM guy who wants to relive the 2JZ JZA80 days then that's not 'average' any more.

I would note I read an interesting perspective where these Mexican leaks were deliberate. Toyota leaked all this stuff so it pre-emptively takes all the wind and press from those fans who are not quite average and wanted a 2JZ motor and so all the negative press gets done and out now and then when there's the "REAL" release the only people who are really interested are the 'real' buyers and the press can do ga-ga over this thing.

As I see it, this just another 86 again... there's that same buzz and then a few years down the line we take them as average.

Its also like how much press the Mustang got when it arrived in EU and other RHD places. Same thing.

I predict a few years down the line these things are all the roads just like the Mustang here and its no big deal.
Toyota said they're not aiming for big sales numbers. It's not that kind of deal today. They are looking, hoping it reaches cult status for new enthusiasts(think it is in a goauto.com.au link I posted). Just as the 86 has a following in customisation, that's the kind of reception, if you will, they are hoping to achieve with the A90.

The Gazoo Racing side of things, are that Toyota hope will be their AMG and M branding. The Supra and GRMN products(Japan only, but I think I read Australia may get some products in the future) are helping to pick up where the best days of TRD left the brand.

Back