Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,733 comments
I am avoiding studying for my physics and calc test tomorrow, so I may have already done one of the first photoshopped versions of the car :scared::scared:

lPima9U.png

Last edited:
Toyota design, Toyota suspension, Toyota ECU programming, Toyota active rear differential, Toyota dampers, Toyota cross bar, so lots of stuff actually.

Toyota didn’t even have a say in how the car was developed? Anyway, it was a stretch too far to revive the Supra nameplate for this. More than half the hype revolves around the legend making a long-awaited return, not Toyota selling a rebodied tune for the BMW Z4. The masses will never stop to notice and Toyota capitalizes on the widespread ignorance. Then we arrive at the “but BMWs are good cars argument”. Maybe so, but so was the old Supra developed by Toyota.

At least the Toyota GT-86 was honest enough to use its own name, albeit inspired by the AE86 chassis. The GT-86 is a Subaru BRZ, yet the public majority assumes the BRZ is a rebadged Toyota. Well done Toyota marketing department.

I suppose it’s what you can expect from a manufacturer who is proud to only have won against themselves at Le Mans.

One could argue that's just Toyota swapping parts to a Z4 chassis to make it drive the way they would like it to.

Indeed.

One could argue that's just Toyota swapping parts to a Z4 chassis to make it drive the way they would like it to.

That may be what Nielsen is getting at; it's so heavily developed by BMW, what input did Toyota have knowing the car would be shared?
Better off having BMW provide the chassis than any other company...

Better off having BMW provide the chassis than any other company...
That's pretty debatable. Porsche, McLaren, & Honda off the top of my head all know how to extract the most out of a chassis. All 3 have made really fun cars to drive due so.
According to many articles, it seemed like BMW and Toyota stopped talking to each other very early in the development of the Supra and Z4. Reports say it happened in 2014, so I definitely don't think the car is just a rebadge. Toyota definitely had a large role in developing their half of the car.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/21/toyota-supra-bmw-z4-teams-cut-ties/
It seems pretty safe to say that the upcoming new Toyota Supra will not simply be a rebadged BMW Z4, even if the Supra's hardware is largely sourced from BMW.
"We agreed on the packaging," Kai said at a Supra event in Madrid, "like where is the hip-point of the driver, what's the wheelbase, the width, where's the fuel tank, where's the A-pillar, this was around the middle of 2014. After that we completely separated our team. After that, no communication with each other." Not even Christmas cards?
Sounds like the chassis was agreed on and BMW manufactured it.
Toyota has been able to take the agreed-upon hardware and work it into the direction it sees as the best fit for a car called a Toyota Supra.
Again, back to Nielsen's point.

Edit* Looking at the Z4 interior again, I'll retract what I previously wrote. There's some shared bits, but it's not a copy-and-paste as much as I thought.

Last edited:
According to many articles, it seemed like BMW and Toyota stopped talking to each other very early in the development of the Supra and Z4. Reports say it happened in 2014, so I definitely don't think the car is just a rebadge. Toyota definitely had a large role in developing their half of the car.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/21/toyota-supra-bmw-z4-teams-cut-ties/

This could also suggest that Toyota told BMW engineers to do their thing after the mutual requirements were settled early on.

So you're saying it's just like the last Supra then?

No, it just looks off. They stunned us with an unorthodox-looking yet handsome concept. The ratios on the concept were all great. Wide, low. This new production one looks like a bad kit car trying to replicate the same aesthetic with a shape that doesn't work for it. There's just something off about it. Maybe it needs a giant St. Louis Arch spoiler to change my mind.

At least the interior looks awesome. They really weren't modest about raiding the BMW parts bin.

307fc717-2020-toyota-supra-gr-2-jpg.10938

2c7afe3c-2020-toyota-supra-gr-1_3-jpg.10943

3315edd6-2020-toyota-supra-gr-1_5-jpg.10944

65ca5de9-2020-toyota-supra-gr-1_4-jpg.10945

Edit: Just realized that the red surrounds only the driver ughhhhhh

Last edited:
The interior dashbard screams BMW quite loudly despite not directly copying the Z4. Not necessarily a bad thing in its own right, but how are drivers supposed to convince themselves they are driving a Supra with the aesthetics looking so Bavarian? The interior designs for the MKIII and MKIV were undoubtedly more consistent with the respective exteriors.

Last edited:
The interior dashbard screams BMW quite loudly despite not directly copying the Z4. Not necessarily a bad thing in its own right, but how are drivers supposed to convince themselves they are driving a Supra with the aesthetics looking so Bavarian? The interior designs for the MKIII and MKIV were undoubtedly more consistent with the respective exteriors.
That's where I questioned how much BMW & Toyota really stopped talking after 2014. The interior isn't a direct copy of BMW's as I originally thought, but the parts catalog that was leaked shows Toyota is relying on BMW to supply a huge chunk of the interior design that Toyota came up with.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=DB43-USA---J29-BMW-Supra 40i&mg=51

But, I'll chalk this up to once more being a result of the agreed chassis design. Toyota may have decided trying to completely come up with its own interior layout that would be a production version of this original vision:
Toyota-FT1-interior.jpg

Just wasn't worth the effort. BMW already supplied the engine and chassis, might as well see what interior bits & pieces they came up with, too.

Compared to say the MX5 and the 124 would this be around the same in terms of difference?

I mean the interior in the Fiat looks more Mazda then the Supra does BMW but the Fiat at least uses it's own engine, yet most people I have talked to about it refer it to being a Mazda.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it look better with body-color A-pillars though? I think the car would look better without the black gothkid headlight surrounds too.

Looks great from the side. The front's okay, I guess. Would've however preferred a bigger rear with a spolier, something more akin to the FT1.

Back