Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,733 comments
If it looks wider in person it might be okay, but if it is as Narrow as it looks then it has no appeal to me.

It still blows my mind that the worlds largest car maker can't make it's own Halo car, it just says to me they couldn't be bothered and they just looking for a cash grab to ride an iconic name.

If it looks wider in person it might be okay, but if it is as Narrow as it looks then it has no appeal to me.

It still blows my mind that the worlds largest car maker can't make it's own Halo car, it just says to me they couldn't be bothered and they just looking for a cash grab to ride an iconic name.
They did that with the MkIV and look what happened.
Toyota canned all their sports/sporty cars. They're rebuilding that image with GR. I'm happy Toyota haven't given up. It's not an FT-1. I'm glad. At least it's not a sky high ultra expensive car, I still won't be able to afford 20 years from now.

How much would Toyota lose on such a car next to the A90? I feel they've aimed smartly. Again, maybe, if this one is successful, maybe the car grows into something more pleasing to those not liking the current look.

I dunno. Maybe there should be two sub threads: an "epic whining and crying wish it looked like the FT-1" and an epic "I like it" one. :lol::sly:

Im still happy to reserve some judgement, if a car is good it's good no matter the origins.

Sure, but part of what made the golden era of Japanese sports cars great was the charming combination of great performance and often somewhat mundane styling. The imperfection was perfect in its own way. The A90 just tries too hard.

US Launch Edition first 1500
e79e0599-2020-toyota-supra-launch-edition-3.jpg

e420cb21-2020-toyota-supra-launch-edition-4.jpg

c35de205-2020-toyota-supra-launch-edition-2.jpg

96da574f-2020-toyota-supra-launch-edition-1.jpg

Official figures from the press release:
335hp
500Nm torque
0-62mph in 4.3 seconds
155mph
1,495kg

Fun Fact: Because the European spec of the Lexus RC-F has been nerfed to 451hp (thanks to emissions laws), the Supra is 0.2 seconds quicker to 60mph than the Lexus! :lol: I'd like to see a quarter mile drag race between the two.

In other news, the launch edition wheels look far better. 👍

If anything, I'd probably say the new Supra a bit too many lines and a bit overaggressive. But then too, these are more of the design trends of late for Toyota. Not even the MKIV Supra was totally aggressive for its looks for its time. We're probably going to get used to this design unless some completely different styling change happens within a few years. What probably is driving most people away (no pun intended) is its looks. The front elements at the grill would work on the Ferrari 488 GTB, but not so much this car. It's usually the front of any vehicle that provides the biggest impression; and if you don't look great up front, chances are, you are not going to be liked very much. I do think the profiles at the sides and rear are fairly nice. Most of my knocks on its design are mostly up front. While I never really liked the style of the FT-1, I never hated it.

Red has always been my favorite color for the MKIV Supra. Since blue is my favorite color, I can imagine this car looking great in a sapphire-like blue or maybe even a sky blue color. Toyota may even tap into their Lexus arm and give it their beautiful Structural Blue color. A warm silver would also be nice. As for racing liveries, one would imagine this Supra in a number of throwback liveries. You know- Castrol (1990s), Denso (1990s-2000), Petronas, AU Cerumo, Esso Ultraflo, and a lot of the classics.

So would I get the new Supra as we know it and as much as we know about it? I probably would. That is unless I wanted to buy a secondhand MKIV Supra in decent condition instead.

The JDM market has the best naming strategy for the trim levels, no doubt.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 4 cylinder variants make their debut in a year's time for the European/UK market, the SZ-R still has respectable performance.

The stats on the Japanese-spec base model look a bit anaemic. Wonder if that version will be sold in other markets?

Nissan gtr will wipe the floor with it. This not a good supra campared to the new gtr if you campare both to the older gen cars. Its overpriced like most toyotas are

Nissan gtr will wipe the floor with it. This not a good supra campared to the new gtr if you campare both to the older gen cars. Its overpriced like most toyotas are
well, no duh it will destroy it in the track (they're in two completely different competitions now), but that wasn't the priority with Toyota. It's now more in-line with the Z, and apparently they're targeting the Cayman as well?

Last edited:

This new Supra actually is around the same price, if not cheaper than the A80 Supra with inflation adjusted.

And the R35 was a large step up from sports car to super car territory, and Toyota wasn't aiming for that.

This new Supra actually is around the same price, if not cheaper than the A80 Supra with inflation adjusted.

And the R35 was a large step up from sports car to super car territory, and Toyota wasn't aiming for that.
Cheaper actually.

The Turbo in 1998, when adjusted for inflation, would be about $62,400.

This would be quite the bargain, and would probably handle a thousand times better.

Hey, for those wanting an 86 or a BRZ with more power, this exists! I guess that's a good thing! I'm just wondering why the hp rating is much lower than the Z4 considering they're using the same engine. That confuses me...

If anything I find it funny how people are complaining about how it isn’t a complete supercar like the GTR and the same people complain that it lost all of its heritage and that it doesn’t deserve to wear the Supra badge. In reality, this car is closer to how the old Supra would be in today’s market both price wise and performance wise. GTR’s were never supercars up until the R35 came out. I bet these same people who want GTR performance figures would be complaining about the price that type of car would be going for.

Latest Posts

Back