Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,733 comments
Here's the trunk

47584916_532713263888048_1701928382866180918_n.jpg

If anything I find it funny how people are complaining about how it isn’t a complete supercar like the GTR and the same people complain that it lost all of its heritage and that it doesn’t deserve to wear the Supra badge. In reality, this car is closer to how the old Supra would be in today’s market both price wise and performance wise. GTR’s were never supercars up until the R35 came out. I bet these same people who want GTR performance figures would be complaining about the price that type of car would be going for.

Any relationships between Japanese performance cars of today and Japanese performance cars of the 1990s are...complicated. Mostly I would say this is due to the gentleman's agreement that artificially compressed what could have been a wide range of performance cars into a much more narrow space. I think cars like the 3rd generation RX-7, S14/S15 Silvia, and SW20 MR2 might have remained in the 250-280hp range, but the R34 GTR could have easily been rated at 320-400hp. The Supra seemed to be more of a sporty GT than an outright sports car. The 320hp rating it had in the US market probably would have been about right.

Targeting the Cayman/Boxster is probably the right move for Toyota with the new Supra, as the previous market segment the Supra occupied (Sporty GT) is basically dead right now. I really can't fault them for the layout, configuration, platform, or anything like that. I just wish it looked better.

edit: That trunk is hilarious. I wonder what the cargo volume is? Looks smaller than the 86's for sure. I'm guessing that reducing this opening goes a long way to increasing chassis rigidity. But man, that is a small opening.

I’d say the Supra is a little above those cars performance wise though.

Maybe, the Challenger is an outdated boat on wheels but the other two, I'm not so sure. Those cars come with a lot of performance options. The premium edition Supra is nearly as much as a Shelby GT350 or Corvette too. It just does not seem like you get a lot of bang for your buck with this, I still love it though.

If anything I find it funny how people are complaining about how it isn’t a complete supercar like the GTR and the same people complain that it lost all of its heritage and that it doesn’t deserve to wear the Supra badge. In reality, this car is closer to how the old Supra would be in today’s market both price wise and performance wise. GTR’s were never supercars up until the R35 came out. I bet these same people who want GTR performance figures would be complaining about the price that type of car would be going for.
Design wise the gtr is closer to its old gen than the new supra is to the older one. And is better Bang for the buck

I really wish I could understand why Toyota decided that the Beluga nose was going to be their signature design element. Did focus groups respond well to it? Did they figure that everyone else is worrying about tying up brand identity into grills and they wanted to do something else? Was it a marketing decision that the designers are being forced to implement? Is it some rogue designer in a position of authority asserting his ego? It's certainly different, and you know it's a Toyota when you see it, I'll give them that. They do seem to be second guessing it as the new Corolla and Camry don't feature it very much. The 86 was probably the worst victim.

I’d argue it’s something of a family feature for the nameplate. It certainly does give something of an A80 feel from certain angles.

So the Supra disappeared from our shores in '98, with 320hp, roughly 3400lb, and a price tag hitting $40k. It returns 20 years later with 15 more ponies, 50 more pounds, and $10k up on its sticker. The only car that's maintained that level of consistency would be something like the Miata.

Meh! Personally I’d spend the money elsewhere (don’t know where exactly so don’t ask). Decent car in terms of spec but for me it isn’t at all a looker. Never been a fan of the front end, even since the FT-1 first emerged.

Saying that though, if you offered me one for free I’d most definately take it,

well, no duh it will destroy it in the track (they're in two completely different competitions now), but that wasn't the priority with Toyota. It's now more in-line with the Z, and apparently they're targeting the Cayman as well?
The Nissan z is way cheaper. So they can't really campare either really

The Nissan z is way cheaper. So they can't really campare either really
What does pricing have to do with comparing comparable performance?
Toyota Supra (UK) - £52,695; 0-60mph 4.1s
Nissan 370Z (UK) - £29,945; 0-60mph 5.1s
Nissan 370Z NISMO (UK) £39,995; 0-60mph 5.0s

Perhaps if Nissan does make this (and it will), the price and performance of the Z will be a lot closer, but for now that's not a comparable car either. Otherwise, really, you're looking at the Alpine A110 (£47k, 4.3s).

That said, the BMW Z4 M40i just got 0.5s quicker, to 3.9s from 4.4s, as soon as Toyota announced the Supra's 0-60mph time. I'm not sure what changed except BMW crossing out the old number and writing in the new one when it realised it was slower on paper than a very similar car with 50hp less.

What does pricing have to do with comparing comparable performance?
It has very Much everything to do with it. As you mostly campare the specs on simular priced cars. And there is no Word for how overpriced this car is. More expensive than a camaro ss 1le that has over 100 horsepower over it, and better sound, and you get better perfomence in that car as well. You can even get the camaro zl1. Corvette c7 stingray,
That will blow it away.
Toyota is one of those japanese brands that is very overpriced. You don't see that on either Honda or Nissan. and then we should not even talking how stupid they are when it comes to cars in racing games.

0-60 4.3, 4.1, 3.9 whatever. It blows the A80 away. No doubt it'll run rings around it at a track. Also, comparing it to Challenger/Camaro/Mustang. Those cars have gons more hp and the Supra is right there. Of course, Car&Trend will do their videos of World's un-Surprisingly Slowest Car In The Field comparison.

I'm interested in how much extra power can be made from each engine. With tweaks, that SZ may have the benefit of being more balanced, if it can be tuned to stock RZ power levels.

More expensive than a camaro ss 1le that has over 100 horsepower over it, and better sound, and you get better perfomence in that car as well. You can even get the camaro zl1. Corvette c7 stingray,
That will blow it away.
Only one of those cars is less expensive than the Supra - the Camaro ZL1 is $12k more!

Also, all three of them are Chevrolets. Of course they're cheaper. And less expensive too.

Toyota is one of those japanese brands that is very overpriced. You don't see that on either Honda or Nissan.
Weren't you just trying to compare the £52k Toyota to the £82k Nissan as if they were rivals in some way? And have you seen the price of the NSX? Just add a one to the beginning of the Supra's price and you're pretty much there.

Back