Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
If I could just take a moment away from the Tuner Challenge for a second, how come Aussie Tuners isn't in the main directory yet? We've some really good cars now and we're always looking to expand 👍
You know what else would have to be the best AWD for GM that I would really love to use in this challenge but can't? The all new Cadillac CTS AWD direct injected V6, :drool:
That engine was designed here in Australia you know (not sure about the driect injection version though)

I'm starting to reconsider it a bit... it's REALLY quick for its WPR and a lot of fun to take balls-out through the corners, but there are some small issues with it which I may not have the time or will to iron out. Besides which, I've already submitted a really tailhappy entry in the AWD category, so I may go with something grippier for RWD (a perverse irony, I know). The M3 CSL may see the light of day after all. But if anyone is interested in settings for a 450ish hp DeLorean, let me know, I'll post 'em.👍

You know, I think I accidentally sold the Delorean before I knew it was a win once only car, this was me when I found out-:banghead:🤬🤬:banghead:🤬🤬🤬:banghead:

If I could just take a moment away from the Tuner Challenge for a second, how come Aussie Tuners isn't in the main directory yet? We've some really good cars now and we're always looking to expand
If you think about it, MFT isn't there either and it's a good deal, around ten times, bigger than your garage. But we're not complaining, why would we be, as there is a reason. The main directory is only for garages in this thread.

The Honda Civic Type R (EP) '01

Specs
222 hp
1190 kg
5.353 pwr

Parts

Engine Balancing

Sports Soft Tires (S3)

Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

"Original" Tuner Hall Suspension

Full Custom Transmission
Sports Clutch
Sports Flywheel
Full Custom Limited Slip Differential

Oil Change
GT Wing of Choice (3D Type BB shown)
GT Wheels of Choice (Speedline 027 shown)

Settings
0/0/0 Driving Aids

Brake Balance Controller
12 front / 14 rear

Original Suspension
10.0 front / 9.3 rear Springs
82 front / 83 rear Ride height
7 / 7 Shock Absorbers
2.3 front / 2.1 rear Camber
0/0 toe
5/5 stabilizers

GT Wing Downforce
15 front / 14 rear

"LSD"
25 initial / 50 acceleration / 30 deceleration

Transmission
Default gears should only be adjusted using the "Final Drive Ratio," do not use "auto" or Individual Gear Adjustments.
I suggest you use a 5.125 Final Drive Ratio... This will give you five gears on most courses, six on longer tracks and 4 on the very shortest tracks in the game.

Notes for building and testing:
Do Not perform either the extra stiffness or the chassis refresheer. Do not use any weight reductions. Be sure to use the 2001 model (not the 2004). Do not apply any parts other than what are listed. Follow the directions for building and settings closely!

Personal notes:
I'm still looking for a name to give this Civic. Inspiration came from Best Motoring's recent race between a stock JDM '08 Civic-R vs a stock S2000 (the civic won!). As for handling and all that stuff, I'll let the car do the speaking for me. However, the primary test ground was Costa Amalfi (consistantly lapping under 2'20) with trips to Tsukuba (1'05s) and the Nurburgring (8'15).

Have fun with this car, I've done my best and I hope you enjoy the testing enough to keep the car in your garage when the challenge is over. :cheers:

Cleaned up my post (grammar) and added instructions regarding Transmission settings for the judges (I suggest other users do the same if specifics are not provided or if the transmission's basic adjustment is of no concern).

I've also edited the initial Tuner Challenge v2 post to clarify transmission settings (due to judges using their choice of track the transmission may need to be changed by the judge).

You know, I think I accidentally sold the Delorean before I knew it was a win once only car, this was me when I found out-:banghead:🤬🤬:banghead:🤬🤬🤬:banghead:

I'm glad you mentioned that... I was for some reason thinking I'd simply bought it. It'd be kind of stupid to enter pretty much the rarest car in the Used lots in the AWD category, then a car that some people may be totally incapable of re-acquiring in the RWD category... either way, I'm going to post its settings in a day or two just for fun. It likes to enter complete nose-and-tail slide with over-assertive corner entry, but aside from that, it's a euphoric RUF-like experience.

IMO it's better than RUF's, since it doesn't keep trying to kill you all the time. I also have a good setup for this car, I'll publish it someday in MFT

I'd say the RUF doesn't try to kill you (or maybe I'm just so skilled I don't have problems with it :sly: ).
The CTR2 is rediculusly well behaved, a little too well being that it will understeer through any sort of conditions.
The BTR is getting close to killer and the yellowbird is indeed murderous. :scared:

None the less, with proper tuning they are all awesome and for the most part, IMHO, better than the Delorean. :sly:

I'm glad you mentioned that... I was for some reason thinking I'd simply bought it. It'd be kind of stupid to enter pretty much the rarest car in the Used lots in the AWD category, then a car that some people may be totally incapable of re-acquiring in the RWD category... either way, I'm going to post its settings in a day or two just for fun. It likes to enter complete nose-and-tail slide with over-assertive corner entry, but aside from that, it's a euphoric RUF-like experience.

I'm trying to hook up one of my friends so I can buy it off him, before he sells it. There may be hope to get the one car I don't have but want yet.👍

I'd say the RUF doesn't try to kill you (or maybe I'm just so skilled I don't have problems with it :sly: ).
The CTR2 is rediculusly well behaved, a little too well being that it will understeer through any sort of conditions.
The BTR is getting close to killer and the yellowbird is indeed murderous. :scared:

None the less, with proper tuning they are all awesome and for the most part, IMHO, better than the Delorean. :sly:

With proper tuning, I would agree. I LOVE RUF's, but wouldn't dare enter one in the challenge considering how a lot of people here seem to regard them. I do have a bitter taste over the CTR2 though. RAWD should be MUCH more fun than that.

Changing the subject for a second, I'm now making my first foray into FWD tuning for this challenge. Although it's not nearly as bad as everyone's been making it out to be, I've noticed that all the cars I've experimented with end up feeling disturbingly similar to each other, and that much more so than with other layouts, a general "blanket range" of settings seems to be coalescing. Is it just me?

Anywho, my RWD entry is nearly finished. I scrapped the M3 CSL. I love it, but the chassis is so rigid that even with super-soft shocks and dampers, it may still be too stiff for some judges. Working on an NSX now that is currently eating JGTC cars for lunch :sly:

Tuner Challenge Version 2 Entry - FWD class

Renault Clio Sport 2.0 16V '02

205 bhp, 237 Nm, 910 kg

Parts to buy:
Sports Exhaust
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 4.0 / 3.5
Ride Height: 120 / 125
Bound: 2 / 8
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: -1 / -1
Stabilizers: 2 / 4

Brake Controller
Brakes: 5 / 10

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.603
2nd: 1.851
3rd: 1.436
4th: 1.189
5th: 1.009
6th: 0.868
Final Gear: 4.000

Autoset 8

Driving Aids
ASM Oversteer: 0
ASM Understeer: 0
TCS: 0

It's not the outright speed that counts, it's the ease of driving. This car is pretty much impossible to lose control of badly, as long as any common sense is used. Then again, considering the power figures and the lack of downforce, it is pretty fast too stopping the clocks at 8'07 around the Nürburgring even with the gears shown... half of the back straight had to be driven at half throttle as it ran out of ratios.

I don't recommend making the gearing much shorter (even for the shortest tracks) as the top speed is only 220 km/h (fuel cut) now and traction problems would arise when exiting tight corners, the gearing acts as a natural traction control now.

Tuner Challenge Version 2 Entry - RWD class

Honda NSX Type R '02

330 bhp, 354 Nm, 1079 kg

Parts to buy:
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 6.5 / 9.0
Ride Height: 110 / 120
Bound: 3 / 6
Rebound: 4 / 8
Camber: 3.0 / 1.5
Toe: 2 / 0
Stabilizers: 2 / 5

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 8

Transmission

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Auto setting, and only then set the gear ratios.

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.902
2nd: 1.997
3rd: 1.507
4th: 1.229
5th: 1.029
6th: 0.872
Final Gear: 4.300

Autoset 12

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 5

Driving Aids

Bearing a strongish resemblance to the Amuse S2000 R1 when it comes to the handling characteristics, this upgraded NSX is capable of making miracles happen. Despite its modest power and stock aerodynamics, it beat a 500+ bhp winged Mustang GT around the Grand Valley Speedway. Not bad on a track that favours high powered cars.

Tuner Challenge Version 2 Entry - AWD class

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR '96

295 bhp, 370 Nm, 1147 kg

Parts to buy:
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
Port Polishing
Engine Balancing
FC Transmission
Triple-plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
AYC
Carbon Driveshaft
FC Suspension
S3 Tyres
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Refresh
Oil Change
New Wheels (optional)

Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.0 / 4.0
Ride Height: 135 / 145
Bound: 2 / 6
Rebound: 6 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 1.5
Toe: -1 / 0
Stabilizers: 2 / 6

Brake Controller
Brakes: 4 / 7

Transmission

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.449
2nd: 1.741
3rd: 1.362
4th: 1.124
5th: 0.950
6th: 0.817
Final Gear: 4.500

Autoset 8

LSD
Initial: 10
Acceleration: 20
Deceleration: 5

AYC
Active Yaw Control: 80

Driving Aids

Something of a precedessor to the Evo VI TME, this beefed up Evo IV has the tail-happiest nature of all Lancers I've driven. It's something of a showcase for the AYC electronical differential - and a lot more manoeuvrable than with a "normal" FC LSD. It may feel odd at first, but have faith in the car. Even if it feels it'll never clear the corner at competitive speeds, just keep pushing. It will. As an added bonus, the same setup is entirely rally capable.

NOTE FOR ALL THREE CARS: When setting up the transmission, only touch the Final Gear ratio to prevent messing up the pattern.

Of these three cars, not one is very powerful, not one is very fast. They shouldn't be judged as such. They're remotely realistic trackday specials, with the aim in creating enjoyable handling and improving the strong points of the original design. 👍

And I've updated the Z-486 with the gearbox settings. The GT-R concept is still running on it's stock gearbox.

lol @ my Odyssey having more HP than all three of the cars.

But I understand where your going with this, great idea in tuning these cars.
High power cars get boring after a while.

If the judgement is done by the lap times, I stand no chance. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to build a car faster than that one.

Which brings up an important question. What will be the main criteria for deciding the best cars? My logic says that it should be handling because it isn't that difficult to bolt on the power upgrades. Also, if the lap times are the big thing, some cars will get a huge and very unfair advantage over others - there is no hope of beating a GT-R with a Suzuki Alto, no matter how well it's tuned.

If the judgement is done by the lap times, I stand no chance. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to build a car faster than that one.

Which brings up an important question. What will be the main criteria for deciding the best cars? My logic says that it should be handling because it isn't that difficult to bolt on the power upgrades. Also, if the lap times are the big thing, some cars will get a huge and very unfair advantage over others - there is no hope of beating a GT-R with a Suzuki Alto, no matter how well it's tuned.

So far as I can tell from the rules, the only criterion is each individual judge's overall sense of the car. Lap times are going to be submitted by each judge on their own specified test track, but they're only for reference. I wholeheartedly agree that in many cases, a lower-powered car can be as much or more fun than the same car in full tune.

I may go ahead and submit my NSX-R anyhow. 484 bhp (full power), but I think I've retained the essence of the car. It can be driven easily in a state of slight oversteer, or if going for every single tenth, can go balls-to-the-wall in brake-steer and controllable power-oversteer. Add racing tires, and fuggedaboudit.

So far as I can tell from the rules, the only criterion is each individual judge's overall sense of the car. Lap times are going to be submitted by each judge on their own specified test track, but they're only for reference. I wholeheartedly agree that in many cases, a lower-powered car can be as much or more fun than the same car in full tune.

Indeed handling is the focus of judgement criteria. 👍
Lap times are refferences and may be factored in (if say, two very similar cars feel the same and run the same but lap times are seconds apart, that might be worth noting).

In any case, the feeling of the car is the key. 👍
I plan to discuss more about judging when the entries are no longer being accepted. :D

I wo't judge cars on lap times alone but I think it should definitely play some part, cause when you think about it, it's very easy to make a slow car handle good, like go-karts, but a fun car is a fun car so don't worry about lap times 👍 it will only play a miniscure part on my judging

Alright guys I'm coming out with a Mini Cooper-T, just need to finish the laps on the Nur.

Of course this is for the highly neglected Front wheel drive class.

I'm trying to hook up one of my friends so I can buy it off him, before he sells it. There may be hope to get the one car I don't have but want yet.👍

Yes! I will be able to get a DMC Delorean off one of my friends as soon as chance arrises so am now looking forward to some settings:)

ONE MORE DAY EVERYBODY! Ican't wait until tomorrow. anyway, i decided not to enter a FF car. i am not very good at tuning them so i decided not to try. I also updated the information on my clio. if you haven't read it yet or don't feel like going back 3 pages to find my post, it is all about its little issues with high speed cornering. all you have to do is slow down a little and maybe tap the brakes before the turn. otherwise, there will be oversteer and some sliding.

Renault Clio Sport 2.0 16V '02
That seems to have all the right ingredients for supreme grooviness: Small, Lightweight, Unwinged, riding on S3's, and getting a simply mad laptime on the 'ring. But why did you limit the top speed to 100 mph? I guess I'll have to try it out to see...

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I was subconciously using the kg to lbs ratio, not the km to miles raio. 136 mph makes much more sense.

Tuner Challenge V2 FF Entry
MINI COOPER-T
based off the 2002 Mini Cooper.
HP:258 BHP / 6000rpm
TQ: 216.48 kg / 4500rpm
981 KG
FF drivetrain

Mods:
Exhaust:Racing
Racing chip: Sports
Tires: S2's
Turbine kit: Stage 2
Suspension:Racing
Transmission: Full Customize
Clutch: Triple-plate
Flywheel: Racing
STAGE 3 Weight Reduction
Suspension settings: Spring rate: 9.8 Front 9.5 rear
Ride height: 98 Front 98 rear
Shock bound: 3 Front 3 rear
Shock rebound: 4 front 4 rear
Camber angle: 1.5 Front 1.0 Rear
Toe Angle: 0 front 0 rear
Stabilizers: 4 front 4 rear

Transmission Settings: Autoset 12

0 on all driving aids.

note- NOT my RWD Tuner Challenge entry.

KC Motorsport Delorean DMC-SX

100_0238.jpg

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.

100_0243.jpg

This car is an object lesson in the dangers of EWI ... Ebay While Intoxicated. After a frustrating trackday working on the differential of a client's particularly difficult TVR, the staff and I kicked back with three cases of beer and a copy of "Back to the Future". I think you can guess the rest.

Two weeks later, the shell of a DeLorean sat in the middle of the shop, and rather than turn around and re-sell it to some other poor unsuspecting drunk ebayer, we contacted the recently-reorganized DeLorean Motor Company, purveyors of the new-and-improved S2 model rebuilt from original components. Another two weeks later, an entire car's worth of guts lay strewn about the shop floor next to the shell. We set immediately to work stripping and rebuilding the motor, transmission, differential and exhaust systems. What emerged from the shop after a solid three months of on-and-off effort shocked us all.

There's more than a little Lotus in the feel of this car, and for a good reason - many structural elements are derived from the Esprit, as Colin Chapman was called in to consult on the original DMC12 during its development. Though DeLorean originally envisioned a Wankel powerplant, a V6 was eventually used to address fuel consumption. We've taken said V6, stripped it down, and with the aid of a state-of-the-art turbocharger, massaged it to 448 bhp, translating to 422 at the wheels. With the motor hanging over the rear axle, the car could easily be called the vengeful love-child of Colin Chapman and Dr. Ferdinand Porsche.

----------------
Notes on Driving
----------------

Pull is no problem. This is without a doubt the fastest DeLorean ever built that doesn't run on plutonium. Cornering, as with any RR vehicle, can be a challenge at first, but master high-speed threshold braking and appropriate throttle-oversteer and countersteer, and this will be among the most thrilling cars you'll ever drive. Watch out for trail-braking over elevation changes, and approach corners carefully. Barge in under too much throttle and not only will the tail kick out, but it will drag the nose with it - think overpowered Lotus Esprit. Enter at the right speed though, and you have the option of gripping right into the apex and throttling out of it with the perfect magnitude of power-oversteer. Or, with a sharp application of the brakes and balls to match the car's stainless steel shell, drift is MORE than possible. Without further ado, the tune.

---------
Parts List
---------

Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes & Brake Balance Controller
Port Polish
Engine Balancing
Racing ECU
Flux Capac... erm, Stage 2 Turbo
FC Transmission
Triple-Plate Clutch
RC Flywheel
FC LSD
Racing Suspension
Full Lightening
Soft-Compound Sports Tires (Race Tires if you want a purebred DTM-killer)
Wing and Oil Change

-----------
Suspension
-----------

Spring Rates: 5.0/6.5
Ride Height: 100/110
Shocks (Bound): 1/4
Shocks (Rebound): 3/7
Camber: 3.0/1.2
Toe: 2/-2
Stabilizers: 1/4

-------------------------------------------
Brakes, Transmission, Differential, Downforce
-------------------------------------------

BBC: 4/2 (3/3 or 3/4 for drift driving- adjust to your style)
Downforce: 30/22

LSD:

Transmission: Autoset to 25 first, then adjust the Final ratio as needed - 5.000 works well for the Nurburgring. Elsewhere, between 5.250 and 5.500 seems good. For very compact circuits, just do the tranny trick for more range of adjustment.

Enjoy! Though this isn't my RWD challenge entry, any feedback at all would be MOST appreciated.

Awesome, as soon as I can get one, or two or three, however many I can get I will try it and see if it can provide close competition competiton with them DTM cars on my driving style. If I can't get one can I borrow yours and go back in time to stop myself from selling it, I'll provide the biowaste fuel.

Back