Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
CLS: Awesome description. Can't remember if I still have my DeLorean or not...

But I don't care. I have a gameshark for such things. (Never cheated on a race or license, just $$ and cars I want to drive/tune)

Greycap:

I tested your FWD entry, and I must say, it's quite impressive. The stock suspension settings had a tendency to weight transfer quite a bit front and back, which means you need to either coast so the weight shifts well (but the car's low weight means coasting entails lots of deceleration), or you throttle-on at very low cornering speeds as the weight transfer tosses all the traction exactly where it isn't needed. And naturally, the gear ratios killed the already low power, so not much happened in straightaways, either.

After the settings were applied, it felt a bit more powerful (but still approaches it's top speed in a satisfying manner, neither too quick nor too strained), but the lack of an LSD was only noticable in gear 1. Otherwise, wheelspin is actually difficult to make, and the lack of an LSD means that the maneuverability is truly urgent. The car handles like a Porsche Cayman: If you drive it like an idiot, it reacts like an idiot. But if you really concentrate on getting through a corner, it's astonishing! If you toss the car in like an idiot, you get what I call 'FF wobble,' where the rear wheels slip out, regain grip, which rotates the front of the car out, which then regains grip, and it kills fun and speed. I've actually not experienced this of a tuned car before, there's less a sense of complete transformation of the car than there usually is. But, the complete change is replaced by something equally good: phenomenally suprising numbers. The car is very personable, almost impossible to lose control of (in fact, I couldn't spin, even when I tried the handbrake). It doesn't feel intimidatingly fast at all. It rewards an unbraking driving style: braking just a bit too little, plowing into the corner with no gas or brakes, then using the momentum to fly out of the turn. It's actually taught me a new technique! It laps like a sports car, but feels like a cute, sensible economy car (because, well, it is). Trying to beat my laptime on the Nurburgring with this car is the most fun I have had in GT4 in quite a while.

Honestly, I think you should put it in MFT. The sensibility, controllability, and low power, though, are something I'd expect to see more from Leonidae. If you could manage to give it 300hp and not mask the fact that the handling is providing most of the pace, you'd have a beautiful new addition to MFT: an unwinged hot hatch on S3's (you've only got the Seat so far, which this slaughters), and a friendly French creation! By the way, my best N-Ring time with this car (Driving without walls and with 2 wheels on tarmac at all times) was 8:09.798. I can't belive that you've managed to beat that by 2 seconds, you must be perfect!

I'm not sure if all that is coherent, but the good stuff is in there. Long story short, Greycap's Renault Clio is fantastic. Not a huge 'this is a very special car' feeling, but sound behaviour and astonishing overall pace.

Tuner Challenge Version 2 Entry - FWD class
Honda ACCORD Euro-R `00

specs:
L4: DOHC
2156cc
271HP/7200
202.88 ft.lb/6700
weight:1170kg
engine code: H22A

parts to buy:

Exaust & air filter: racing

racing brakes

brake controller

port polish

engine balancing

transmission: full customize

racing chip

NA tuning: stage 1

clutch: triple-plate

flywheel: racing

limited-slip: full customize

suspension: full customize

weight reduction: stage 1/stage 2

rigidity refresher plan

oil change

S3 sport tires

suspension:

Spring Rate: 10.4 / 6.3
Ride Height: 115 / 110
Bound: 7 / 8
Rebound: 8 / 8
Camber: 2.4 / 1.0
Toe: 1 / -1
Stabilizers: 2 / 4

Transmission:

in this order

set to default

final 4.290

Auto 11

5th gear: 0.855

6th gear: 0.715
update.. add this after the old tune in this order
AUTO:12

final:4.140

Limited- slip:

initial torque: 9

LSD accel: 45

LSD DEcel: 38

driving aids: OFF

Tuner Challenge Version 2 Entry - RWD class

Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG

The Engine (stock):
-V8
-5439cc
-Supercharged
-Twin intercooled
-469 hp @ 6100rpm
-516 ft.lbf of torque @ 2750-4000 :drool:

-2002 E55 Amg
-Oil Change
-Semi-Racing exhaust upgrade
-Racing Chip
-Port polish (Total hp should add up to 540)
-Triple-plate clutch
-Semi-Racing flywheel
-Carbon driveshaft
-Brake Balancer
-Comfort/Sport Tires
-Weight Reduction 1
-FC suspension
-FC Transmission

Settings:

SR F:7.2 R:6.0
RH F:108 R:110
B F:6 R:6
RB F:6 R:6
Camber: F:2.2 R:1.2
Toe F:0 R:-1
Anti-Roll F:3 R:4

Brake Balancer:

F:3 R:3

FC Transmission:

-Stock

This engine in stock form doesn't rev very fast, so most of the mods used are to improve the engines response. Tons of torque available from very low revs, spin tires easily with a heavy foot. About the cornering...I'll let the judges have a go at it. :)

Nissan Tuner,
You'll need to specify the weight of the ballast with that -1 setting.

i just found out that i had it at zero the whole time lol.

i took the ballast settings off the list

Well, just so you know in the future, if you don't add weight to the ballast then the front-rear setting below ballast weight has no affect (atleast that's how I take it).

In any case, with no ballast all is good. :D
Just trying to keep the tuners up to speed with what will be needed when submissions are no longer being accepted.

That reminds me...
Many replies have been made without labels as tuner entries, make sure any tuner challenge entries have the proper label and information.
I know the delorean wasn't a submission but I can recall a few over the last few pages and I'd like to make sure those are labeled or not labeled accordingly. 👍

Tuner Challenge version 2 - FWD entry.

Mini-Cooper-RS.jpg

Facts:

238 HP
1019 Kg
0-60: 6.783s
0-100: 13.150s
1/4 mile: 14.707s
0-130-0: 26.150s

Price: 146k Cr.

Parts:

Racing exhaust
BBC
Stage 2 NA tune
Port Polish
Engine Balancing
Racing Chip
FC Transmission*
Triple clutch
RC flywheel
FC LSD
FC Suspension
Weight Reduction stage 2
Oil change
Wheels (FP0214, day 3, used wheels)

Settings:

BBC: 6/8

Susp: F/R
Springs: 8.0/8.5
Height: 110/110
Bound: 3/5
Rebound: 6/6
Camber: 2.3/1.8
Toe: 0/2
Stabilisers: 3/5

Transmission:*

Final: 4.660
Auto: 1
Final: 3.270
1st: 2.832
2nd: 2.092
3rd: 1.621
4th: 1.340
5th: 1.149
6th: 1.000
Note: this is a transmission trick, first set final, then auto, then final again and then the gear ratios. It works, just ask RJ!

LSD: 8/30/5

Driving Aids: All zero.

The Mini Cooper RS, you probably never heard of it, because it was hidden in a hall nearby Suzuka Circuit. Maybe one of the Polyphony crew, doing some test rounds for prologue has seen us, but then he wouldn't be able to tell the story...
At least, we wouldn't let him do so.
spiteful.gif

Being the replacement of the most popular British-made car ever since April 2001, this car has a reputation to live up to. The original is considered an icon of the 1960s, and its space-saving front-wheel-drive layout, influenced a generation of car-makers. Now lets see if this car can influence you!

(Because GT5 Prologue is coming up soon, we decided to set this baby up for Suzuka Circuit, so you can have the lines in fresh memory when it finally comes out!)

* The transmission is optional, as stated in the Tuner Challenge rules. Just believe me, the stock vs. tuned 'tranny' makes a difference between night and day with this car... :dunce:

Ok, one last question before I finally make my RWD entry. I find my NSX-R so good as to be nearly sexually arousing:drool:, and since there's already a Mini showdown, another head-to-head might be fun. Here's the problem - the suspension settings of mine are disturbingly similar to Greycap's.

I've had these settings in roughly the same form for months now, but before I enter the car, I want to make it totally clear I have NOT plagarized these settings in any way. There ARE differences, but the spring rates and toe settings are identical, and the ride height and camber are so close as to be statistically insignificant. Obviously two competent tuners working on the same car with the same general goal may very well come up with similar settings, but still...

The cars are going to behave very differently - unwinged at 330 hp vs. winged at 484, but Grey, Kent, your thoughts? If you have severe objections, I have an S2000 I'd be fine with entering ... but I LOVE this NSX.

Oh, yes we did!

That Cooper is goooooood.

We'll see if you did when judging time comes, which must be soon right? This is gonna be good fun, I'm gonna have to get pen and paper to give cars overall ratings. Somehow I don't think a simple 👍 or 👎 will suffice.
OK CraftyLandShark, here is a review on your Time Traveller................I mean DMC Delorean
First of all, you have downforce I noticed and you need lift, lift to fly:dunce: but seriously:) This car has got awesome handling, I really like this car now. Especially when you consider the exhaust note with just a sports exhaust, I absolutely love it. The car has got really good traction too even with the S3 tyres on, there isn't much I can think of to pick on and normally I can find faults in a car but this one seems to have very few if any. The only thing I could pick on is if your taking a corner at high speed that the car should be able to turn it still seems to get a bit loose and you lose speed as a result. Impressive automobile. In the end I actually had a brain wave when I realised I have 2 memory cards so I just started a new save on the other card, acquired the Delorean and bought 3 no less off the new save.

OK CraftyLandShark, here is a review on your Time Traveller................I mean DMC Delorean
First of all, you have downforce I noticed and you need lift, lift to fly:dunce: but seriously:) This car has got awesome handling, I really like this car now. Especially when you consider the exhaust note with just a sports exhaust, I absolutely love it. The car has got really good traction too even with the S3 tyres on, there isn't much I can think of to pick on and normally I can find faults in a car but this one seems to have very few if any. The only thing I could pick on is if your taking a corner at high speed that the car should be able to turn it still seems to get a bit loose and you lose speed as a result. Impressive automobile. In the end I actually had a brain wave when I realised I have 2 memory cards so I just started a new save on the other card, acquired the Delorean and bought 3 no less off the new save.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! I too found it to be a surprisingly good handler for an RR. High-speed corner slide is definitely one of its (hopefully few) faults - as I mentioned in the description, it's got a very Esprit-like feel if overcooked in a bend. Luckily, the result isn't as snap-under severe as with the Lotus. Hopefully it will provide you with a good bit of driving pleasure... just watch out for Libyan terrorists in VW Vans.

Oh, and Kent I JUST ADDED STAGE 3 Reduction to my Cooper-T

You have that down right?

Actually, I'm not collecting any data on any of the entries until the submission period is over. That will allow adjustments to entries up until the period for submissions is over.

That said, I'd like to see you specify "weight reduction" instead of "Diet" since there's no way to tell how some people might react (doubt it but maybe someone will be lost after reading that comment).

In any case, I'm glad to see so many entries, although I'm suprised to see so many FF entires, that's going to make this really fun. :D

That said, I'd like to see you specify "weight reduction" instead of "Diet" since there's no way to tell how some people might react (doubt it but maybe someone will be lost after reading that comment).
:confused:

I didn't write diet for my Weight Reduction.

Ok, one last question before I finally make my RWD entry. I find my NSX-R so good as to be nearly sexually arousing:drool:, and since there's already a Mini showdown, another head-to-head might be fun. Here's the problem - the suspension settings of mine are disturbingly similar to Greycap's.

I've had these settings in roughly the same form for months now, but before I enter the car, I want to make it totally clear I have NOT plagarized these settings in any way. There ARE differences, but the spring rates and toe settings are identical, and the ride height and camber are so close as to be statistically insignificant. Obviously two competent tuners working on the same car with the same general goal may very well come up with similar settings, but still...

The cars are going to behave very differently - unwinged at 330 hp vs. winged at 484, but Grey, Kent, your thoughts? If you have severe objections, I have an S2000 I'd be fine with entering ... but I LOVE this NSX.
If I was a mean guy, I'd object to this. But as I'm not I won't. Those settings of mine are nothing revolutionary so it's very possible for you to have come up with similar ones and yes, the higher power together with a wing will cause such a change in the handling characteristics that they don't have too much in common. I have nothing against it, no idea about Kent's opinion but I don't think he'll make a number of it.

Funny that you should mention that the car has been finished for months... mine was released to the public over three months ago. :P You may have even seen it but not realize now that it's the same car.

Funny that you should mention that the car has been finished for months... mine was released to the public over three months ago. :P You may have even seen it but not realize now that it's the same car.

<edit> Never mind, last second change of plans! After fiddling with the gears on the S2000 to reduce the impact of its torque-anemia, I've decided to go with it instead. Coming in a half hour or so, the KC Motorsport SS.2000 Soichiro Special!

Tuner Challenge V.2 RWD Entry

KC Motorsport SS.2000 Soichiro Special

100_0249.jpg

100_0245.jpg

100_0248.jpg

What many consider among the best street-to-track cars of our day has just gotten better. Based on a Japanese market 2003 S2000 Type V, KC Motorsport proudly introduces the SS.2000 Soichiro Special. Named for Soichiro Honda, the company's founder and original mastermind of the S500, 600 and 800, our reimagined iteration would doubtless please him immensely.

After a total motor and ECU rebuild, we decided to address its relative lack of torque. As a solution, we fitted an extremely efficient turbocharger, which feeds the motor 461 horsepower and 289 ft.lbs. of torque peaking at 8500 and 7500 rpm respectively. Still, the low torque relative to power needed more attention. To whit, we replaced the OEM 6-speed with a race-bred unit of our own, allowing complete track-specific adjustment and much closer ratios. Much to our delight, the stock Torson LSD proved more than capable of harnessing almost double the motive force its original design intended, so we left it in place. The factory independent double-wishbone suspension got a complete overhaul though, and is tuned to retain the superb feel of the factory S2000 under vastly greater power load. We then fitted front and rear wings, using a lower angle of attack in the rear to match with the suspension's bias towards mild oversteer. Perfect aero balance is the result. To further enhance handling, every unnecessary ounce of weight is gone. The X-link monocoque frame is, even for a convertible, ideally rigid, so no additional stiffening proved necessary. As a final step, we added powerful racing-spec brakes grabbing 13 inch cross-drilled and dimpled rotors.

----------------
Notes on Driving
----------------

Very little needs to be said about the car's handling. It is the very definition of track balance. Corner entry is swift and decisive, even permitting trail braking very close to the apex if done carefully. Full-throttle exit is accompanied in lower gears by a perfectly-seasoned hint of power-oversteer, and in higher gears the line may as well be rails. Since the rear is mildly stiff, you may need to approach tracks like El Capitan with a bit of care, but testing proved that if driven correctly, the car is fine. Without reservation, we can say that this is close to the easiest car to handle at any speed that we've ever produced.

Power delivery does require some attention. The close gearing keeps it well within its band in 3rd gear and up, but slow-speed 2nd gear turns DO require the driver to keep the revs boiling. Should they drop too low, don't be afraid of the 2-1 downshift as it's much less severe than in many other cars of similar power.

----------
The Facts
----------

Powerplant: 1997cc Inline 4
Power: 461 bhp/8500rpm
Torque: 289 ft.lbs./7500rpm
Weight: 1079 kG
WPR: 2.340

---------
Parts List
---------

Racing Exhaust
Racing Brakes & Brake Balance Controller
Port Polish, Engine Balancing & ECU
Original Turbocharger (Tuner Village)
FC Transmission, Triple Plate Clutch, Racing Flywheel & Carbon Driveshaft
Racing Suspension (NOT Original Suspension)
Full Weight Reduction
Sports Tires - Soft Compound
Wing (3D type AB pictured)
Oil Change

---------
The Tune
---------

--Suspension Settings--

Spring Rates: 5.5/9.0
Ride Height: 110/120
Dampers (Bound): 2/5
Dampers (Rebound): 4/7
Camber: 3.0/1.5
Toe Angle: 1/0
Stabilizers: 2/4

--Brake Balance and Downforce--

BBC: 3 Front/6 Rear
Downforce: 30/20

--Transmission--

This one calls for the tranny trick, as it leaves the gears appropriately close. From default settings, first set the final drive ratio to its highest setting (5.500 in this case). Next, adjust the autoset to 25, then all the way back to 1. From there, select the final drive ratio that gives you the best setup for the circuit. Testing on the Nurburgring, I used 3.420. You'll likely want to go shorter than that (higher numeric value) for other circuits. You may also want to fiddle with the independent ratios of gears one through three depending on whether you use manual gearing or automatic. Find a setting that works well for your style.

CLS, That is one of the best settings posts I've seen in a long time, including my own. :P
This considering the layout, the effort you've put in it almost jumped out of my screen, actually. The appealing lime green certainly does a good job, and as one of the FR judges, am I looking forward testing this beast. ;)

That said, would you/anyone mind visiting the Tuner part of the forum? Two tuner garages in there are in dead need of a well written review of their creations before everyone leaves GT4 for Prologue and GT5.

CLS, That is one of the best settings posts I've seen in a long time, including my own. :P
This considering the layout, the effort you've put in it almost jumped out of my screen, actually. The appealing lime green certainly does a good job, and as one of the FR judges, am I looking forward testing this beast. ;)

That said, would you/anyone mind visiting the Tuner part of the forum? Two tuner garages in there are in dead need of a well written review of their creations before everyone leaves GT4 for Prologue and GT5.

Much appreciated! I'll definitely swing by the Tuner area at some point this evening. I've done a couple of MFT reviews and I've been meaning to get by R&R. Anything in particular that needs a thorough testing?

Much appreciated! I'll definitely swing by the Tuner area at some point this evening. I've done a couple of MFT reviews and I've been meaning to get by R&R. Anything in particular that needs a thorough testing?

Aussie Tuner product needs testing, try the Monaro:tup: as well as others if you have time.

You were kind enough to give the DMC-SX a run, so I'll definitely put the Monaro through its paces tomorrow afternoon!:)

Thankyou so very much, it's just had improved gear ratios in place so you won't be disappointed, I promise. Too bad that with your TC entry in the RWD class we are now competitors as well.:):) No hard feelings eh?

Back