Tuner Garages

• Thread starter Kent
  • 2,497 comments
do we have anyone else working on the 64 - 72 cars, or am I the only one? This week has gone from hectic to insane, as I making a pretty big move in three weeks, but the cars are getting testing and results will be up before the sixteenth for this category

I'm pretty sure there was another one or two judging that category.
And CLS, I'm not opposed at all to an extension.

Is anyone opposed to the idea of an extension on the judging deadline (and naturally the submission deadline for Phase 2)? It seems that with a lot of people who do WANT to judge under time constraints, an extra week or so might not be a bad idea.

That sounds great!

Granted no cars are too hard to obtain, judging the 73-80 category may be something I have time for!

Judging for 73-80 (which is in Phase 2) won't even begin until after the proposed extension for Phase 1 judging elapses, but if the extension did give you enough time to judge a division, you could do 63 and Earlier since you're not entered in it 👍

Vintage Tuner Cup Entrant: Club Racer
feature-thumb.jpg

1970 Nissan Skyline HT 2000 GT-R(KPGC10)
Won after beating the Japanese Events: 70's cup
250BHP
190 ft*lbs of torque

Parts to Buy:

RC Exhaust
RC brakes
Brake balance controller
NA Tuning Stage 2
Port polish
Engine balancing
Race computer chip
RC Suspension
Twin Clutch
RC Flywheel
2-Way LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
Weight Reduction stage 3
Rigidity increase
Oil change
R2 tires

Settings:

Brake Balance: 6/4

Suspension
Spring rate: 8.2/9.0
Ride Height: LOWEST
Damper (bound): 5/8
Ramper (rebound): 8/9
Camber: 2.5/1.4
Toe: 2/-1
Stabilser: 4/5

Gear Ratios:
Standard

Driving Aids 0

GVS Time: 2'07.741
Description: This car is fun, fast, and a Japanese post-war hero! You really have to man up, and this car will take any corner well, but will allow a lot of late braking, but not turning/braking. Don't be fooled by the stiff rear dampers, this car keeps its rear end planted even on the toughest high speed Nuerburgring WOT sections. Just take it in and don't be afraid to try opening it up, a tap on the brakes will keep it on the track.
-It is recommended not to shift up 1st or second until 8300rpm, and the rest at 8000rpm.
-Corner exit under-steer can be cured by getting on the throttle most of the time.
-Don't forget that this car's braking points are pretty late compared to other (heavy)cars of it era.

Honestly, i think that 300hp is too much for this car, so i stayed pure and kept it right about 250 ish.

Sorry, but that class has closed man.

It's gotta be put on R1's/R2's and optimized for the Club Racers category if you want to enter it as that's the only category where a car from that era would be legal that we're still taking entrants for.

im not gonna be able to enter anymor classes of this untill i get my computer screen fixed it got shattered.... theres 200 bucks gone that i dont have
sorry about the delay

Okay, it's official, the deadline for Phase 1 Judging and Phase 2 Submission is now pushed to Wednesday, February 20th at 11:59 pm U.S. Eastern time. I'll update all the official announcements of that date in a few minutes if I get a chance, but I'm on the way out the door so it may be tonight.

I'm also withdrawing my 2000GT from the 64-72 division so that I can judge it - we only have one confirmed judge for that division, and one is simply not enough. I'm not all that happy with a last-minute update I made to the 2000GT at the close of Phase 1 submission anyway, so I won't mind giving it some revisions before releasing it elsewhere.

Judging for 73-80 (which is in Phase 2) won't even begin until after the proposed extension for Phase 1 judging elapses, but if the extension did give you enough time to judge a division, you could do 63 and Earlier since you're not entered in it 👍

I'm not going to judge any phase one categories because my Z28 racecar is still being worked on. The RUF is an axe-murderer, so I'm making a controllable car right now.

Feb 20 works great for me on getting all my tuning done.

Okay, it's official, the deadline for Phase 1 Judging and Phase 2 Submission is now pushed to Wednesday, February 20th at 11:59 pm U.S. Eastern time. I'll update all the official announcements of that date in a few minutes if I get a chance, but I'm on the way out the door so it may be tonight.

I'm also withdrawing my 2000GT from the 64-72 division so that I can judge it - we only have one confirmed judge for that division, and one is simply not enough. I'm not all that happy with a last-minute update I made to the 2000GT at the close of Phase 1 submission anyway, so I won't mind giving it some revisions before releasing it elsewhere.

Withdrawing a car, now that's dedication- how about a round of applause for CraftyLandShark everyone. :bowdown:

Originally Posted by Tulok
can i judge?

Of course you can, go for it- we need as many judges as possible anyway.

That is pretty valiant man, thanks for trying to keep everything smooth *claps*
um... I am not sure exactly what to do, but heck give me a car and ill review it or whatever this competition requires.

That is pretty valiant man, thanks for trying to keep everything smooth *claps*
um... I am not sure exactly what to do, but heck give me a car and ill review it or whatever this competition requires.

Click on the phase 1 link in CraftyLandShark's signature, it will tell you all the criteria for judging and give a list of all the cars in each of the first 2 categories. You must judge all the cars in a category to judge that category, and as for the setup of a judge's post- there are some results handed in, just check theirs and do the same/similar layout.

Vintage Tuner Cup 1981-1988 Division Entrant:

Celica-banner-2.jpg

Parts List
Racing Exhaust
Racing Chip
Stage 5 Turbo
Racing Intercooler
Port Polish
Engine Balancing
S3 Tires
Racing Brakes
Brake Balance Controller
FC Suspension
FC Transmission
Triple-plate clutch
Racing Flywheel
Carbon-Fiber Driveshaft
FC LSD
VCD
Stage 3 Weight Reduction
Rigidity Refresher Plan (if used car with enough mileage to need it)
Rollcage/Chassis Stiffening
Wing

Straight Line Performance and other specs:

0-60: 4.8 seconds

0-100: 9.7 seconds

1/4 mile: 12.834 @ 115

Horsepower: 360bhp

Torque: 312 ft-lbs

The Setup

SUSPENSION:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Spring Rate:-------10.0/10.0
Ride Height:-------110/130
Shock Bound:-----3/9
Shock Rebound:--9/5
Camber:-----------2.8/2.5
Toe:----------------(-4)/-2
Stabilizers:--------5/5
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Final to 5.500, auto set to 1, then set ratios and final. Ratios are [2.404/1.777/1.377/1.155/1.000/0.896]
Final of 3.550.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

LSD/Downforce and others:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
LSD:
Front: 7/35/5
Rear: 7/25/5

VCD: 40

Brake Balance: 12/14

Downforce: 30/5

Ballast: 0

Ballast Balance: 50 (Full Rear)

Aids: None at all
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: Hey! It's a Celica! Riiiicerrrr! Lookin' all fast with that big wing and aftermarket rims... Drop kit...

Or not. Weighing a mere 2500lbs, this Celica GT-Four has been made into a terrorist for the street and track, using every last resource of the tires' grip to clear corners quickly, exit without fear of wheelspin, and destroy the competition.

When driving this car, favor a late apex and fast entry over an early apex and getting on the throttle earlier than normal, as the latter will lead to the car simply pushing its way into the kitty litter. If you find the car pushing wide, don't be afraid to use the brakes to bring it back in line; it's rare when this car cannot be corrected to stay on track.

On long sweepers, use 'neutral' throttle to keep speed constant until the exit is near enough to stomp on the throttle. It might take a little practice, but this car can boogie with the best.

I suppose the 360bhp powerplant helps too.

Please think of the following judgings not in terms of finishing order, but in terms of how many points the cars netted induvidually. The top 4 cars are all within 5 points of one another, then the next car is down 11 points! I like all the cars quite a bit (except the Corvette; I respect it thoroughly, but hate it well.), and keep in mind that a lowish average score denotes high standards, not low opinions. Not to mention, I can't say "They're all perfect!" That'd just be useless, wouldn't it?

Vintage Tuner Cup Phase 1 Judging

CraftyLandShark's Lotus Elan -89/100
GVS Laptime: 1:58
Behavior Score: 72/75
Improvement Score: 17/25

Comments: A fantastic car! The handling is perfect: a tiny amount of controlled oversteer at all times, at mach speed, and without the threat of wheelspin. Braking, somehow, doesn't cause understeer in the least, so you can brake insanely late. Actually, coasting puts the car in a worse cornering state than braking or throttling, so you must always be using the petals. It's not nececarily a flaw; It's just... new. Curbs are neither friendly nor unfreindly; running them over is by no means a good idea, but certainly not fatal either. But, that's almost entirely irrelevant; If you don't want to hit a curb, you will not hit that curb. It handles very precisely, and feels exactly like a modern, well-engineered, featherweight sports car. High-speed switchbacks, however, can be troublesome if taken roughly. The stock settings felt a hint more vague than the tune, and the stock version's oversteer was of the typical, difficult variety. Of course, there were gearing problems, which were fixed in the tune. The stock one was fun, but the tuned one is very precise and talented at its purpose of pace. However, the improvement score is slightly lower than expected because the tune isn't that much better than the stock one; it just serves a different purpose.

Leonidae's Mercedes-Benz 300SL -88/100
GVS Laptime: 2:07
Behavior Score: 66/75
Improvement Score: 22/25

Comments: I originally said this car was insane, but then I took it to the Nurburgring. It began to redeem itself in the high-speed course which favoured it, wheelspin vanishing to be replaced with controlled pace. Bringing it back to GVS with a bit more throttle control, it suddenly became brilliant! It corners fairly quickly, showing a neutral, capable chassis. Then, it demands your attention to throttle modulation, but rewards precise control with excellent corner-exit oversteer, which is fairly easy to control with speed, as long as you don't get too carried away. The straightaway speed is appreciable to the driving experience, and there is joy in revving 1300 RPM past the redline. The setup takes a while to adapt to, but once you do, it ends up excelently! The improvement score here is very high, because the default setup has little grip on front or rear wheels, and improper gearbox. Like the Elan, the tuning is a transition from drift to grip setup, but there is huge improvement from the stock setup here.

nd 4 holden spd's Corvette -86/100
GVS Laptime: 1:57
Behavior Score: 61/75
Improvement Score: 25/25

Comments: There's something odd about this car. I respect it immensely for its considerable pace, controllability, balance, and ease of use. I see that the tune here relies on more than just a good base car; the stock suspension was straight off the tilt-a-whirl, and the gearbox was lower than the stock Elan's (not good with 373hp on tap). It is, by a considerable margin, the fastest car here. And it's completely hopeless. The engine, I suspect, is the culprit here. The redline is at 5000 RPM, you can only rev to about 5500 RPM, and the exhaust is neither the battlecry of a sportscar nor the offbeat rumble of a muscle car. The handling is so stable, but has oversteer at the same time, that it (in combination with the exhaust note and tachometer) feels like a lightning-tractor of sorts. It is extremely rapid, well-tuned, boredom. I respect, and sort of enjoy the speed, but it doesn't feel as delicate and high-strung as a sportscar should be.

Greycap's Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale -84/100
GVS Laptime: 2:13
Behavior Score: 65/75
Improvement Score: 19/25

Comments: This car is a precision tool; no oversteer above second gear, and extremely precise steering. The corners move by quickly enough, and the gearing compliments the engine very nicely (literally: "Are you sure this is only 222hp?"). The default settings were driftier, and more imprecise, and the gearing of the default somehow had the same top speed and worse acceleration. The setting of this car is very appreciable at the 'ring, where stability and lightweightedness is needed. The car felt like a very well-behaved, rear-engined compact car; I often found myself thinking I was driving a red Alpine. It's very easy to get things done very well in this car, and nearly impossible to get them done perfectly; there's a tendency of oversteer/understeer wobble in response to a too-enthusiastic corner entry. It's a very nice car tune, overall, but not escpecially outstanding at anything.

nissan tuner's Jaguar E-Type -73/100
GVS Laptime: 2:12
Behavior Score: 62/75
Improvement Score: 11/25

Comments: This car feels the most genuinely classic of all the cars here. I wanted very badly to give it a much higher rating, but logic got in the way again. When stock, this car had a tendency to understeer horribly into corners and oversteer inconveniently (though very controllably) out of corners. The tune is very similar to the stock settings, and, as a result, not much has changed. Luckily, though, the oversteer has been rearranged through the corners. You may now oversteer a bit more than slightly throughout the entire corner, in a very retro-controlled manner. There's only 295 or so horsepower, but there's something in the way the car moves down the road that feels so powerful, so sure of itself, that just charms me to no end. Other than the fact that the tune of this car is eerily close to the stock settings (with a few well-placed changes), there is one major, gaping flaw that forbids me from lauding this car any further: The four-speed transmission. The induvidual gears are all quite tall, so there's not as much acceleration as there could be, but the top speed is still low, so we've been given the worst of both worlds in one, bite-size package! It's a very fun car, but the transmission saps a sense that the car has been well-engineered, along with the power that it obstructs. If he's been this lazy with such a critical part of the tune, how much better could he have made the rest of the car? In reality, I love this car, but this is a tuning competition, and I don't love this car for the same reasons that a car would win a tuning competition.

Crud, lost more ground to CLS, made a little on Grey though. Looking through, I seen my car had 25/25 for improvement! Am I to understand that I lost points on the way it sounds and the amount of revs it can do? I can understand the oversteer comment, it's what makes it fast (as in it doesn't slow it down) but if you don't like that trait that's up to you.

Vintage Tuner Cup Phase 1 Judging

NOT IN ORDER OF POINTS

ND 4 Holden Spd's Chevrolet Corvette C1 '54

Starting off bone stock, it ran an easy 1'10 on Tsukuba Circuit, and with all those upgrades i was already expecting to run under a minute. Also, I noticed that it braked so well, so at first i accidentally over-braked alot. The 2 speed transmission was really holding it back and it accelerated pretty slowly.

After a few laps on TC again, full ymodded this time, I ran a 56.1, on Sports tires!
The car didnt feel lively, and wasnt snappy or aggressive feeling, which I didnt like about it, but It sure put the power on the pavement and it was amazing to see the car performing so well despite it's classic value.

I took it for a few laps on Circuit de la Sarhte II and I was even more surprised, the car was very very fun, it felt snappy, and powerful, the chicanes were so easy, and the car punched through them. It felt like a solid block superglued to the road :D but it still didnt feel new/fun enough on smooth tracks like TC.

90/100

KC Motorsport Lotus Elan S1 E.P. Special

The car had bad throttle response, didn't seem to brake very well and, surprisingly, was way to predictable. I was expecting a hard to control monster, with 210hp and a low weight, but instead it turned out to be a user friendly weekend track monster. It gripped pretty well, but understeered a bit on many of the corner exits. It was a big improvement over stock, but it wasnt that fun. I didnt even want to test it very much because it was so bland feeling/ built for speed not enjoyment(maybe, seemed like it).

After a little time at sarthe, I realized what the problem was, it felt like(the power as well) the grip never changed, it didnt feel dynamic, almost like a 2-dimensional racer from the NES, not hard to drive or challenging. Even a serious attempt at a feinting motion to initiate a drift was simply obliterated by the grippping aura that the car conveys.You were right about high speeds thouhg, no stability.

Tsukuba Circuit time: 59.533

81/100

Nissan Tuner's Jaguar E-Type coupe '61

The car started out fairly powerful, and without the upgrades it was fun! The car felt pretty good through the 4 speed, though they shoulda/could've been shorter. I really didnt like the new suspension, and the added speed meant that the brakes wouldn't compensate either. It always felt like it was being pushed to hard, though it was very hard to spin out. It felt more like a stock, understeery econo car after the "upgrades" I couldnt get it down to a 1'04 at TC, and I didnt waste my time trying really hard either. Overall, the car was better stock with S3's, but the added power was fun to do little drifties

75/100 a good solid C

Greycap's Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale '63

I decided not to test this one on TC, because I knew it was made for a more, or should I say less, racey/realistic track.Not only good fun driving, but you give your buddies a run for their money after work. I took it out to the nurburgring and...
Whooooooa! This thing was soo fast! It had good overall response, and was definately a vast improvement over stock power and handling. It felt very MR/RR, and wouldnt turn under throttle easily, and that sorta lost some points. also its ride height, I felt should have been lower to enhance the look, and lower the cog of the car, which left some tires useless at times when the car had heavy weight transfer. The power came from just below the redline, and then through it, it needed a lesser exhaust to keep it more balanced.
Verdict: Under high speed, but cautious situations, it hanndled well and was great fun. BUT, under medium/fast cruise speeds, it lacked the lower rev power it needed to be a really fun toy.

91/100

Leonidae's Mercedes-Benz 300SL
alright, I will leave me idiocy below, so you can all publicly humiliate me, but i did it for real:
I went to Tsukuba Circuit, and at first I was very, VERY dissapointed. Then after a few laps, I realized that the car isn't new, and cant use the same techniques. You had to trail AND left-foot brake like mad to get the traction down on a turn, and drift on the corner exit was almost like clockwork. It was really fun, like a beast to be tamed. *MORE TO COME*
OK, I ran a
59.5 on TC,
there was more, but after the initial break in, I don't think it would've gotten too much better. The car had predictable, but hard to understand ways of doing things, but it suer laid the rubber down, and if you calmed down it really flew.
Going to the Nurb:
The first corner felt oddly different, after a few minutes of driving TC, the car oddly seemed better, grippier on the Nurburgring. I WOT'd through the first section of twisties, then the car braked flawlessly to transition to the second set. It beckoned for more, and I pushed the pedal further down, and it performed flawlessly. It felt good, braking, accelerating, lift off. The bumps didnt upset traction, so my original thoughts that the low damper setting would be a bad idea was wrong. The car surprised me, and was fun. It didnt have mad amounts of traction, but if driven smartly it was very fast. After testing this car for real, I have come to the conclusion that it deserves a 90. It was very challenging, and I didn't just get in and drive it correctly at first. Just like when you get a new car IRL you don't drive it perfectly, but it grows on you, and its good points come out.
Code:
"Comments: I originally said this car was insane, but then I took it to the Nurburgring. It began to redeem itself in the high-speed course which favoured it, wheelspin vanishing to be replaced with controlled pace. Bringing it back to GVS with a bit more throttle control, it suddenly became brilliant! It corners fairly quickly, showing a neutral, capable chassis. Then, it demands your attention to throttle modulation, but rewards precise control with excellent corner-exit oversteer, which is fairly easy to control with speed, as long as you don't get too carried away. The straightaway speed is appreciable to the driving experience, and there is joy in revving 1300 RPM past the redline. The setup takes a while to adapt to, but once you do, it ends up excelently! The improvement score here is very high, because the default setup has little grip on front or rear wheels, and improper gearbox. Like the Elan, the tuning is a transition from drift to grip setup, but there is huge improvement from the stock setup here."-EA11R

I also took this car to the Nurburgring first, it was grippy and quick. The car revved forever and these tunings really allowed it to live up to the legend. it drifted a little on a few bumps, but as long as you didnt attack corners too hard it stayed put, and fast too. Getting up to almost 180mph in some of the WOt sections was crazy, and over braking was not a probem, because the car would just muscle it's way back up to speed.  The car was fun, but it still wasn't the type of car that I could really love. Too advanced, too much at oen time, bu definitely a good racing car.

90/100

oops, why did I just double post?
oh well migh as well make use:
Greycap, your car was awesome! It really felt old-school, and it over-steered if you drove it playfully.

Ooh, thankies. It really is oldschool euro muscle, that Merc. I did my best to capture Stirling Moss's monsters spirit in it..

Look, I don't mean to attack your judging (and I thank you for doing it), but the way you described CLS's Elan- it sounds good (well I know it's good), predictable means fast repeatable lap times and grip is a good thing.
On a side note I got second that time.

Leonidae's Mercedes-Benz 300SL -88/100
GVS Laptime: 2:07
Behavior Score: 66/75
Improvement Score: 22/25

Comments: I originally said this car was insane, but then I took it to the Nurburgring. It began to redeem itself in the high-speed course which favoured it, wheelspin vanishing to be replaced with controlled pace. Bringing it back to GVS with a bit more throttle control, it suddenly became brilliant! It corners fairly quickly, showing a neutral, capable chassis. Then, it demands your attention to throttle modulation, but rewards precise control with excellent corner-exit oversteer, which is fairly easy to control with speed, as long as you don't get too carried away. The straightaway speed is appreciable to the driving experience, and there is joy in revving 1300 RPM past the redline. The setup takes a while to adapt to, but once you do, it ends up excelently! The improvement score here is very high, because the default setup has little grip on front or rear wheels, and improper gearbox. Like the Elan, the tuning is a transition from drift to grip setup, but there is huge improvement from the stock setup here.

Leonidae's Mercedes-Benz 300SL

I also took this car to the Nurburgring first, it was grippy and quick. The car revved forever and these tunings really allowed it to live up to the legend. it drifted a little on a few bumps, but as long as you didnt attack corners too hard it stayed put, and fast too. Getting up to almost 180mph in some of the WOt sections was crazy, and over braking was not a probem, because the car would just muscle it's way back up to speed. The car was fun, but it still wasn't the type of car that I could really love. Too advanced, too much at oen time, bu definitely a good racing car.

88/100

interesting identical scores and when you take an entire paragraph from someone else's judging results you should maybe quote him on it.

Also I fail to see a laptime for each of these cars on the same track?

hehe.. i didnt want to miss the deadline (even thoguh i was 2 hours late of what i thought it was), I thought we were the omly two judging so i thougt i had to rush...
looking back, i see the deadline was/is TONIGHT XD sorry guys i didnt want to mess up the competition, ill go judge it for real. But from my experince with it, I have no doubt it will do well.

sorry again

Now, if I see I've been dropped from the top after the new judging... :irked:

Nah, just kidding, not to be taken too seriously. 👍

Hmm...

French Assault, I feel it coming on... And the base cars are normally thought of as the worst car this side of a Yugo.

One for Club Racers and one for 1973-1980.

Back