Ugly, cheap, boring, and bizarre interiors.

• Thread starter The87Dodge
  • 154 comments
Pontiac loves buttons.
pontiac-grand-prix-mclaren-interior.jpg
Especially on the 1989 Grand Prix ASC McLaren Turbo.
pontiac-grand-prix-mclaren-interior.jpg

Also ford focus mk1 interior is odd and cheap.

Ford_Focus_RS_mk1_interior.jpg

All of Ford's 'New Edge' design interiors were odd in some way (despite the exterior designs been pretty nice). It was annoying how they clearly were assembled from the same parts bin which spanned the 80's and 90's and forced to fit the different cabins.

As Top Gear once said the Ford Focus dashboard looked like someone had dropped a geometry set on the drawing board and said... yeah that'll work :lol:

mercedes-benz-classe-2001-2001-5616a38836d81.jpg

The original A-Class had the most drab poor quality interior imaginable with swathes of grey plastic and the driving position was like a milk float! It looked like it came from the worlds cheapest car yet was one of the most expensive hatchbacks at the time! Really epitomised the concept of badge snobbery. After this Mercedes tried to give subsequent generations a more upmarket interior more fitting of the badge.

Last edited:
Surprised nobody mentioned the godawful interiors of late 2000's DaimlerChrysler cars, but I think the Chrysler Aspen's interior is the worst offender. Everything about this interior feels cheap, from the overabundance of cheap plastic you would find on a Fisher Price toy, atrocious-looking fake wood, glove boxes that break easily, to the laggy and shoddy multimedia system. And to think my mother owns one and actually likes it.
0702tr_49_z%2B2007_chrysler_aspen%2Binterior_dashboard.jpg

Surprised nobody mentioned the godawful interiors of late 2000's DaimlerChrysler cars,

Yeah some were terrible, especially the materials used. The PT Cruiser springs to mind.

133-chrysler-ptcruiser-b.jpg

Opel meriva (Hey it's better! Not really).

Opel went through a weird period when their dashboards where just huge square slabs with a million buttons on them.

OPELVectraSedan-3089_1.jpg

The centre console looks like a dining room sideboard, why is it so wide! Also on the Omega!

OPELOmegaSedan-3036_1.jpg

Last edited:
The interior of the 2003-2007 Silverados have always felt odd to me.

0703dp_05_z+2005_chevrolet_2500hd_crew_cab+interior.jpg

Subaru interiors are really cheap feeling to me, even my STI (2004) felt poorly made and buttons were fading. But that wasn't as bad as recent WRX interiors (I can't speak for STIs today) which is not pleasant to be in. Even the seats and the shifter feel cheap. I mean, they look nice, but don't feel nice.

2014 WRX interior:
2014-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-Sedan-Base-4dr-All-wheel-Drive-Sedan-Interior.png

2004+ focus, focus c max, 2002+ mondeo interiors are also terrible. Everything looks so out of place...

Let's put everything we have in

Ford-Focus_TDCi_5door_European_Version-2004-1600-10.jpg

Wait... (one of the team members "I found sony unit somewhere. Let's put it in". Great idea...

ford__focus_turnier_2_0_16v_sport_2005_8_lgw.jpg

Surprised nobody mentioned the godawful interiors of late 2000's DaimlerChrysler cars, but I think the Chrysler Aspen's interior is the worst offender. Everything about this interior feels cheap, from the overabundance of cheap plastic you would find on a Fisher Price toy, atrocious-looking fake wood, glove boxes that break easily, to the laggy and shoddy multimedia system. And to think my mother owns one and actually likes it.
0702tr_49_z%2B2007_chrysler_aspen%2Binterior_dashboard.jpg

I forgot to include Chrysler in my post, but yea pretty much all the 1990s and 2000s stuff is awful, same with a lot of Dodges. I can't comment on 80s stuff because they're mostly in junkyards or back in the ground in the form of rust so I've never got to experience one.

Subaru interiors are really cheap feeling to me, even my STI (2004) felt poorly made and buttons were fading. But that wasn't as bad as recent WRX interiors (I can't speak for STIs today) which is not pleasant to be in. Even the seats and the shifter feel cheap. I mean, they look nice, but don't feel nice.

2014 WRX interior:
2014-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-Sedan-Base-4dr-All-wheel-Drive-Sedan-Interior.png

I always thought 1990s Subaru interiors were awful, my friend had a 1996 Impreza L for a while and it had a pretty crappy interior. The seats are terrible, everything is cheap plastic and the whole thing is just uncomfortable. Though it's not just the Impreza, the Outbacks are just as bad, the Legacy is slightly better, but the Forester is also crappy not to mention it drives like crap.

I've driven a few 2000s era Legacys and an Impreza 2.5 RS, and the interiors are improved, but they still seem kind of subpar.

If you want to see the epitome of 80s style digital interiors, look no further than the Camaro Berlinetta.
2016-07-15-15-28-11--900298609.jpg

The center stack even rotates back and forth. :eek:

2014 WRX interior:
That was the worst era for recent Subaru interiors: 3rd gen Impreza, 3rd gen Forester, 5th gen Legacy, 5th gen Outback. I'm assuming the financial crisis had something to do with it, but the quality of the materials was just disgusting, and it didn't help that the design wasn't good either. I mean, it's one thing to have a cheap interior, like in the previous era of Subarus, but to top it off with ugliness (or at least unattractive), that just takes the cake. I remember sitting in the back of a 3rd gen WRX STI thinking how ugly and cheap the cup holder in the door card looked and felt.

Thankfully, the current lineup of Subarus is vastly improved. It may still feel cheap in some places, but it's much better than before and the design has improved too.

First generation Dacia Logan Van. The steering wheel is hard plastic, the dashboard is hard plastic, the door panels are hard plastic, the gear knob is... you get the idea. Pretty much the only thing that isn't hard plastic is the seats. And the only thing between the uninsulated cargo compartment and the cockpit is a wall made of, you guessed it, hard plastic.

2007-dacia-logan-van-9_600x0w.jpg

Out of the cars* I've sat in within the past 5 years, Mk1 Toyota Yaris stands out as not really having very good interior. Sure, it probably was perfectly fine for a late 90s supermini, but I genuinely don't get how Toyota managed to make an interior that is both bit daft looking and still, somehow, dull. On top of that, it really didn't feel like it was made of high quality materials, I suppose that that should be expected in a late 90s supermini though. On the other hand, it did have those digital dials as the one in the picture which was kind of a neat little feature.

01.jpg

*I'd say Chatenet Media (google it) but it technically isn't actually a car.

Wait... (one of the team members "I found sony unit somewhere. Let's put it in". Great idea...

ford__focus_turnier_2_0_16v_sport_2005_8_lgw.jpg

The Sony stereos Ford use are terrible in pretty much any iteration. It matches nothing else in the car and they have tiny little buttons which are impossible to distinguish from one another while driving.

My nomination would be an early Dodge Caliber:

057685.2-lg.jpg

Bland, grey plastic which felt thinner than the stuff you get in chocolate boxes. Everything brittle and scratchy. "Leather" on the steering wheel feels as convincing as Oscar Pistorious' defence, and the seats can be covered in the same stuff.

Nasty dashboard aside, the Caliber is probably the worst car I've ever driven.

Opel meriva.

..No, wait. This was.

For budgetary reasons, rare hypercars should be given a slight concession. The interior was almost never a priority and never went through the rigorous ergonomics and research the production cars in this thread went through.

Back