Ugly, cheap, boring, and bizarre interiors.

• Thread starter The87Dodge
  • 154 comments
I suspect it costs quite a bit more to design and assemble complex parts than it does to design around prexisting ones when possible and use more rudimentary ones when not, particularly when you're already sinking tons of money into complexities elsewhere that the people designing the cars are more experienced with. That can't be helped by the labor intensive production methods, or the very low production numbers that most of these types of cars have. This is something that real car manufacturers themselves put enormous industrial weight behind and still screw up catastrophically on occasion (occasions sometimes lasting decades), so it seems fair to me that a boutique supercar business with maybe 50 people working for it probably has a poor batting average with it as well unless someone gets behind the company with experience how to sort it out.
I wasn't necessarily suggesting that a supercar interior needs to be ornate, like a Zonda or similar, but when it comes to something like a Diablo it looks like no effort was expended on anything, be it ergonomics or design flair. Same applies to something like a Gumpert Apollo, though arguably the interior is the lesser of two aesthetic evils with that car.

And while small-volume supercar manufacturers don't have the benefit of economies of scale, they do have the benefit of customers who expect fairly long lead times before getting their vehicles. I can't imagine it'd cost someone making fifty cars too much extra to hire someone with a knack for leatherwork, for instance.

I mean hell, even TVR was able to put together (figuratively speaking) a decent interior (in terms of design and materials), and it was hardly an automotive giant. The very least I'd expect from a company making a ridiculous supercar is something on-par with a slightly shonky British roadster.
Put another way, there was a time that the worlds largest automaker spent a large portion of 7 billion 1980s dollars to debut a car that looked like this in 1990:

luminainterior.jpg

The contemporary Diablo, with its fat checks from Chrysler leading to a likely-unprecedented-for-Lamborghini supposed development budget of 6 billion... Lira... doesn't look too bad in comparison.
I can't comment on materials quality, but in design terms that doesn't appear too bad to me. Gets points for clarity, use of colour, and a steering wheel that's distinctly non-awful by the standards of the day. The dials look a bit naff admittedly, so it's a pity the 80s trend for digital instruments didn't continue into 1990.

However, it does come back to my previous comment, that mass-produced cars might have the weight of a big OEM behind them and the design talent that carries with it, but they also have to be built down to a price. Particularly as the car itself gets smaller and has to be sold for less money. As I seem to recall James May putting it in a magazine feature once, a small car is basically the same as a large one in terms of cost, just built less bigly.
Early (90-91) Diablos had a gauge cluster that was unusually tall and hard to see over in some cases. Plus the pedals are super close together, making the car hard to drive.
61025_Interior_Web.jpg
That's exactly the sort of crap there's no excuse for. It's fundamentally bad design, and not something that would have been any more expensive to do correctly had it been figured in at an early enough stage.

I can't comment on materials quality, but in design terms that doesn't appear too bad to me. Gets points for clarity, use of colour, and a steering wheel that's distinctly non-awful by the standards of the day. The dials look a bit naff admittedly, so it's a pity the 80s trend for digital instruments didn't continue into 1990.

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not.

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not.
It is not. It looks fairly typical for an 80s/90s crossover interior to me, and while I'm sure it's worse to sit in than it is to stare at on the internet, it's by no means the worst regular-car cabin I've seen from a similar era.

Reading this thread made me realise how common drab interiors are and how nice we have it now in most cars compared to the 90s/early 00s.

Here's the good ol bonkers dash of the Ferrari 458 Italia. To tell your current speed, you have to select the mode first.

View attachment 578214

Not true for '11 and later cars. But black interior in a red Ferrari is very boring, so it fits here.

Wow, an Aston using a part from a Mustang; I never thought I would see that.

To be fair, the 550 Maranello with the green interior on the same page uses Fiat Bravo heater/aircon controls too. Was par for the course back then when development budgets for companies like Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin were relatively small.

To be fair, the 550 Maranello with the green interior on the same page uses Fiat Bravo heater/aircon controls too. Was par for the course back then when development budgets for companies like Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin were relatively small.
The other oft-used example is that the Pagani Zonda and facelift Rover 45 use the same heating/aircon controls. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I don't think it detracts from the Zonda any more than it glamourises the Rover...

To be fair, the production cars at that time weren't any better.
pontiac__grand_prix_1990_5_lgw.jpg

Four spoked, thin-rimmed wheel with buttons that are clearly marked and separated. All the major driver controls are built around the instrument pod rather than crammed into the center stack, lumped onto the stalk or shoved to the bottom right by the door. The main thing that so awfully dates it is that hideous shifter that GM insisted on using in all of their console automatics. Considering how much of a disaster luxury cars of the time were (and occasionally HVAC/Radio controls all the way down to economy cars are today), that looks fine to me. The radio is an awful mess like all uplevel GM radios were back then, but that's why the buttons are on the wheel.

What annoys me more is that GM (especially) and Ford and Nissan had put so much effort into designing HVAC and radio controls that were accessible easily to the driver, but then as soon as airbags became mandatory they abandoned them until basically the beginning of the last decade.

Time for more Citroen, I think:

3-visa.jpg

Filing this under "cheap" and "bizarre". Cheap because it was designed to be, bizarre because - well, 1980s Citroen. Been reminded of it flicking through a few old car magazines recently. Back when Citroen was actively experimenting to try and make cabins better to actually use, even if it flew in the face of whatever was the convention at the time. Virtually all major functions are at your fingertips - not everything to do with lights and wipers on the left-hand pod, and heating controls on the weird protrusion to the right.

Honda has tried something not dissimilar to that on several occasions. S2000 is probably the closest to being fully operable from within fingertip reach, albeit a little more conventional.

2009_honda_s2000-pic-30543-640x480.jpeg

I love when companies try and think outside the box a little. Though it's possibly even more impressive that a company would try such things with a bottom-of-the-market car than something more expensive.

2003-2007 Saturn Ion

One of the most ergonomically frustrating interior layouts I've seen in an American vehicle. No wonder why this car was largely responsible for Saturn's downfall.​

Last edited:
BA-XT-23.jpg

Ford Falcon BA the seats look like they came from public transport and everthing is plastic when it was new it was almost $40,000.

Here's one for bizarre. 80's Aston V8 Vantage in purple leather.
88-Aston-Martin-V8_Volante-DV-09_RMA_i02.jpg
I've seen better steering wheels on boats. Might as wheel attach an airbag to a tupperware plate.
The first Citroen appears on page two? GTPlanet, I am disappoint.

GSA
citroen-gsa-special_interior_1.jpg
Those "stalks", look like the fists from Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots...

I don't know why the high selling, US-spec bread and butter '88 16V GTI came with these ugly knock off seats,,..
IMG_1555-620x465.jpg

...when my low selling '88 16V GLI came with these power(driver's seat only) Recaros...
s-l1600-1.jpg

Not as amusing as the tartan or nauseatingly brash as the full red leather interior trim in the earlier Series Esprits, but the 40th Anniversary Commemorative Edition mixed a great pearl white exterior with internal colours that remind me of my old school assembly hall. Ech.

lotus-esprit-esprit-tbo-S2960861-5.jpg

I find the Lexus LC500 interior rather unimaginative and boring; particularly the rectangular dash.
2018-Lexus-LC-500-interior-view.jpg

Last edited:
I find the Lexus LC500 interior rather unimaginative and boring; particularly the rectangular dash.
View attachment 666320
Wow. My first time looking at that dash. Boring. The instrument hood has knobs either side from a 1986 RX-7. Oh geez, who was assigned to vent design? I guess they just raided the Toyota parts bin and stuck it on in the corner.

That dash fascia is straight from my Mom's old '85 Chevy Celebrity. And damn, actually looks better... on the Celebrity.
s-l1600-30-1-e1459174012426.jpg

Some interesting combinations on the BMW Individual Facebook page. Like...

The M3 "American edition"
22885840_831224200403241_3218153069548504014_n.jpg

Alpina B12:
22885838_830920710433590_6792092324706607113_n.jpg

Not as amusing as the tartan or nauseatingly brash as the full red leather interior trim in the earlier Series Esprits, but the 40th Anniversary Commemorative Edition mixed a great pearl white exterior with internal colours that remind me of my old school assembly hall. Ech.

View attachment 666316

Plus, the steering wheel is on the wrong side. How are you supposed to use the gear shift? Cross your right hand under your left?

maxresdefault.jpg

Latest Posts

Back