US Midterm Elections 2014

Living in Michigan, I voted yes on the one that allowed the DNR to choose what to open seasons for, but no on the actual hunt. I'm not surprised that both proposals got shot down hard though. As far as governorship goes, I have a very strong dislike for both candidates but did end up voting for Snyder, just because of how close the race was projected to be. Other races I generally went libertarian when possible. Related: local nobody somehow gets elected to the state House.

Deer on the other hand, I would easily vote to increase the amount of tags sold per year, there are some 1.3 million deer in Michigan and I'm sick of them trying to get into my garbage.

Come south a little bit and you're allowed to buy five tags a day with no yearly bag limit. Yeah, it's that bad around here.

There is very little Republicans will really be able to do. The Democrats will have no problem using filibuster tactics and Republicans would lack the votes to override a Presidential veto. Nothing will get passed, but Democrats won't be able to blame Republicans now.
Actually that isn't the case at all. That Nuclear Option that Reid forced through works just as well for the Republicans as would the Democrats. The only way that would change is if the Republicans would agree to a rules change, and I just don't see that happening.

So, Washington will pretty much grind to a hold until early 2017. Maybe this will be the wake up call for everyone who voted Demopublicans.
Which is sadly because the politicians care more about being re-elected than actually doing something positive while in office.

Colorado style! Love living in this state. However, local city governments are doing their best to ban dispensaries in their city limits. Some with success. Which I don't understand. Why mess with what the people voted for and bringing in taxes.
So the County Line Liquor Store is now the County Line Pot Shop?

Actually that isn't the case at all. That Nuclear Option that Reid forced through works just as well for the Republicans as would the Democrats. The only way that would change is if the Republicans would agree to a rules change, and I just don't see that happening.
With only 52, and with a few moderates, a contentious issue will struggle to be passed at all. It will have to be a hardcore party line issue for even the nuclear option to work. And even then I can think of one or two that would find the nuclear option to be an abuse of powers.

And keep in mind that Reid implemented the nuclear option only as a nomination issue. It was not a legislation rule change.

Which is sadly because the politicians care more about being re-elected than actually doing something positive while in office.

And making it a pissing on each other contest.

They pretty much all act like little children.

Yes, they're politicians. That's what they do.

That's not how it works here. Our politicians, how incompetent they might be, rarely sling mud about each other. Most of the time it happens in a debate, but never in commercials. They actually talk about what needs to happen, instead of what their opponent has done wrong or might do. When elected all their promises still go out the window, because they are still politicians.

Colorado style! Love living in this state. However, local city governments are doing their best to ban dispensaries in their city limits. Some with success. Which I don't understand. Why mess with what the people voted for and bringing in taxes.

That's their prerogative though. Unless the amendment specifically says otherwise.

That's OK, though. My city wanted to keep a "cozy town" atmosphere. That meant they were always reluctant to zone for commercial property, bars, high rises, etc. So everyone that lives here has to go to another city to spend their money. Now the city has no money, and the cities on our northern and especially southern borders are developing like crazy. Oops. That's what happens when your mayor is a moron schoolteacher.

That's their prerogative though. Unless the amendment specifically says otherwise.

That's OK, though. My city wanted to keep a "cozy town" atmosphere. That meant they were always reluctant to zone for commercial property, bars, high rises, etc. So everyone that lives here has to go to another city to spend their money. Now the city has no money, and the cities on our northern and especially southern borders are developing like crazy. Oops. That's what happens when your mayor is a moron schoolteacher.
It's amazing to see how a few decisions can have such serious economic implications in the future. Around here, the economy is finally rebounding after what was the largest employer in the city shut its doors. The facility has been unused for years, but it was just sold to some people who want to convert it into a tactical training center for police training and stuff like that. If it actually brings in as many people as it is claiming to bring in (to actually use the facility when it is finished), it won't be long until we have at least one more hotel among other things since its only a town of about 9,000 people.

That's not how it works here. Our politicians, how incompetent they might be, rarely sling mud about each other. Most of the time it happens in a debate, but never in commercials. They actually talk about what needs to happen, instead of what their opponent has done wrong or might do. When elected all their promises still go out the window, because they are still politicians.
It's how our politicians work. Every single debate and issue has degenerated into "it's the previous government's fault!". Seriously, that was the current government's stance on Ebola.

Back