VCRC Volvo Estate Wagon Race Event *Congrats to carracerptp & chuyler1

Some of the off-camber corners you can get on Mt. Aso are just a nightmare, but hellishly good fun.

I have a penchant for Mt. Aso tracks for just this reason. LOL

cc570 has a Mt. Aso track called "The New Ji-Feurre Pass" that is simply hilarious...

After trying the track, I made this advertisement in good humour. ;)

ji-feurrebycc570advert3.jpg

And I'm thinking of coming up (brace yourself jackargent :nervous:) with an event on it (and a couple of other tracks) involving a maxed out Samba Bus. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On that note if anyone would be interested in some 320i Touring Car action... Let me know. I'm itching to get something done in one of those. Low power but still capable of great racing!

I wish there were more equally competitive touring cars in the game. We tried organizing an event but using PP to equalize them was a nightmare. With drivers of mixed ability, it was clear that car selection out weighed ability. I can make due with low power as long as I can draft to keep up...but if someone pulls away from me while I'm in their draft, I'll lose seconds per lap that cannot be made up.

I've been scouring the car list lately looking for some good vintage race car matchups. It sucks that you can't change the liveries or even the numbers on them, but it would be fun to run them in stock form.

Yes, finding the right match-ups, car/track combinations, etc... it's all a nightmare. LOL
I'm sure most people who sign up for races that turn out to work well never imagine the consideration & testing involved to make it happen.
Though I know lately I've been sounding like a sour sally... But you can't just put any cars together on whatever tracks & hope for the best, or you could have a really lousy racing situation that will completely bomb. lol
Nobody likes that. :(

One of the key factors that I've found that's important for participation and people having a good time with whatever cars, is that people know what's up going in. People don't like to feel they've walked into a rigged situation by surprise. If there's something to be considered, it should be known at the outset.
Most people like organized racing because they don't like the rigged gamer issues that can be involved in racing... where the person who has hours upon hours a day to figure out how to game the system, will inevitably do better than the person who can certainly race on a track proper and fast, but doesn't know "the secret"... and has the situation popped upon them by surprise with no chance to consider or prepare the "trick". (I use those words in quotations because it's a metaphor... but one that totally describes the attitudes & feelings about racing in gt5 that I've heard over time from people on this forum.)

I guess a simple way to describe it is to say that - nobody likes a sucker punch.

Last edited:
chuyler1
I've been scouring the car list lately looking for some good vintage race car matchups. It sucks that you can't change the liveries or even the numbers on them, but it would be fun to run them in stock form.

The Alfa Giulia Tz2 Zagato can be painted, but you can't change the number :(
It is a little slow in stock form but it could be quite good.

The Alfa Giulia Tz2 Zagato can be painted, but you can't change the number :(
It is a little slow in stock form but it could be quite good.

The VCRC has 2 upcoming events involving this car...
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=247708
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=247709

And the ORCA club just finished a HUGELY popular & long series with the unmodified Alfa Zagato.

Very popular, very nice handling.
(Of course almost too nice handling really.)

I would love the Samba bus racing. I love my Samba. In fact, I'm going to get another one.

I'd also love to see some Bettle and Kharman Ghia action. Obviously we would have to up the power because it'd be too painful otherwise.

I think maybe the Volvos with more power but stock suspension could be fun? So much body roll. Any time I was closely following somebody I was giggling at the sight of it almost capsizing.

If you check my shared tracks I have a short-ish Aso track with a horrible off camber turn 1. 12 or 13 turns total and has a mix of slow-medium bends, so enough braking zones to make it fun. Also the last turn is on the lovely Aso blind crest :)

You're not the only one interested in the Kharman Ghia.
But yeah, it is super-low power. Last year cc570 found out that stock, it will NOT make it up the first hill on my Mount TopMore mt aso track. :lol: I could hear him on the mic saying "yeah it's not going to make it up the hill... nope, not working... okay now I'm sliding back down backward..."

But the problem is that we don't have enough members to make a closed race where it's known racers only, where everyone's going to trust a spec race with restricting just certain parts & adding others. We've been through it over & over the argument. There's just too much suspicion that someone's going to cheat, or be tempted to throw something in. *sigh*

I know a few people who participate in honour system restrictions... and they all say privately they always suspect some wild card in the group to be cheating a little.

So in order that I don't get into that. When I plan a race, if tuning is allowed, then full tuning is allowed with just a pp or a hp/kg restriction.
And yeah, then it usually turns into a contest of who can throw as much torque at the low power car and hit down on the power limiter in just the right way.
Just the nature of the beast...
Which is why, by popular demand, this year I've been doing only tuning: prohibited races so far.

At least we have THAT option.
But it sure would be nice if we could allow or disallow parts or types of parts individually.
Or at the very least disallow the power limiter!!!
That really is the most stupid thing not to have a restriction for.

The fact that tuning prohibited allows use of the power limiter but not adding ballast is another stumper, IMO.

You can always max out the car. Of course drivers will likely start tuning too so it could be a tuners battle as much as it is a drivers battle.

Yeah, well, it does seem much more difficult to tune cars that are maxed out, IMO.
Of course that depends upon the car. Some are clearly better than others.
I'm by no means spectacular with tuning, but I can certainly get by most of the time if need be.
But it seems every time I try to tune a car for a maxed out restriction it becomes a toiling & tinkering. lol
Like the maxed out historic mini cooper for Mini Madness event... The car is not half bad unmodified. A bit slow but pretty fun on tight courses. And it's pretty fun maxed out... except the gearing & wheelspin is just kooky to deal with in tuning.

I also just like to race too many cars that the tuning: prohibited gives such freedom to just experiment more with spending no more time.
I know a lot of the people who've signed up for a lot of the events probably wouldn't sign up for so many if they had to tune a lot of cars to prepare for them.
If I took on much more tuning right now, it would severely limit my ability to plan or participate in too much else.

Append: Another correction. :dunce: For some reason I put turbogeit's car colour down as white, when it's actually silver. :boggled: Oops, sorry. (Not that there's anything wrong with a white car. ;))

Last edited:
@ carracerptp: I really hope you do!!
I think you take more "actiony" pictures than me, and I'm being scolded on the VCRC photomode gallery thread, so I want someone else to post some pics. :lol:
(Of course I felt like telling the guy - try racing the cars instead of just driving them around for photo opportunities!!!! LOL)

Mind you when I take photomodes of race events, my main purpose is to kind of show off the racing - people's cars together on the track in memorable moments. lol

Back