Vehicle of The Day

• Thread starter Dagger311
  • 592 comments

What should the future of this thread be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
images

images

images

images

I don't see the 'Grande' part being relevant unless you desperately want an Australian-spec model with leather seats and a CD player. It wasn't sold in the U.S. as such ;)

9/2/14: 1963 Chevrolet C/10 Flareside, nominated by me, @Dagger311.

Screenshot_2014-09-02-08-58-02.png

Not making this up.
240529063chevy1.JPG

Engines:

I'm having trouble finding reliable info, but here what I've found:

230 CI I6: 140 Horsepower, 220 ft-lbs torque.
292 CI V8: 160 horsepower, unknown torque.
327 CI V8:: anywhere from 250-360 (depending on which stage this car comes with) horsepower, anywhere from 344-360 torque.

Drivetrain:

FR or 4wd.
3 or 4 speed manual.
3 speed Automatic.

This classic truck will be back in the list on 10/2/2014.

My father has a '66 C10 Stepside that we plan on restoring one day. It is a 4spd manual and it has had many a different engine in it, but the plan is to drop either a 4BT or 6BT (12 Valve) Cummins in the truck and mate it to an NV5600 6 speed manual. We've had many great memories in that thing.

The 62-67 C/10 Stepsides are my favorite truck of all time. Hope you guys end up restoring it!

If I had one, I'd keep it stock, with either one of the manuals and one of the V8s.

My father has a '66 C10 Stepside that we plan on restoring one day. It is a 4spd manual and it has had many a different engine in it, but the plan is to drop either a 4BT or 6BT (12 Valve) Cummins in the truck and mate it to an NV5600 6 speed manual. We've had many great memories in that thing.
I'd love to read the build on that.

I'd love to read the build on that.

It will more than likely be a while before we genuinely start on the project, but we did just find our engine donor!

20140902_121547_zpsyeevfoh9.jpg
20140902_121559_zpsjj9cayga.jpg
20140902_121607_zpsk3qyjbl4.jpg

'93 W250 with less than 150K miles on it. The engine and transfer case are in perfect shape, it is a shame though, this truck was absolutely cherry before it was wrecked. Since we found this (for less than $500!) I guess that answers the question of 4BT or 6BT, we're going with the 6BT. Hell, you can't find a 4cyl Cummins by itself for less than $500 around here.

That truck is still restorable though. You don't see many 8 foot bed Dodges around anymore.

The frame is bent. If it wasn't we'd be putting a flatbed on and fixing the front, but we don't want to deal with the frame issue so she is getting parted out.

What year is the truck ? looks like 70s/80s model
Early 90s but the basic shape is 70s-80s.

The frame is bent. If it wasn't we'd be putting a flatbed on and fixing the front, but we don't want to deal with the frame issue so she is getting parted out.
Makes sense, bent frames are a PITA to deal with. Should be able to make some money off it.

I'm glad the VOTD actually got some conversation going for once! We're getting some new people in, so I'm expecting buisness to pick up more.

Also, if one more car would have been nominated, the list would've had exactly 50 cars.

Now, before I post the vehicle of the day, I'm going to ask a question: Do you guys thhink I should put the list of cars that have a shot at VOTD in the OP, or keep it confidential? Highest vote wins.

Also, the poll closes in a few hours, so looks like I'll be keeping this running wihout opening the other thread.

Now that announcements are over, it's time for the Vehicle of The Day!

9/3/14: 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Brougham LS, nominated by @Celicaas.

002.jpg

Engines:

Now, this came with four engines, however, I could only find specs for the most common: the 305 Chevy Small block. I'll list it, and any others you guys may be able to find.

4.3 L L99 V8
5.0 L L03 V8 (the 305): 170 horsepower, 250 ft-lbs of torque
5.7 L L05 V8
5.7 L LT1 V8

Drivetrain:
Front engine, rear wheel drive.
Came with two different four speed automatic transmissions.

Dimensions/Weight:

Length: 212.8 inches.
Width: 75.4 inches.
Height: 56.4 inches.
Wheelbase: 116 inches.

Curb Weight: 3,770 pounds.

I personally love these 80's Caprices, and even considered one as a first car, for their insane reliability and low insurance costs. Unfortunately, gas prices would've outweighed that! It gets 20 US MPG combined, with 17 in the city, and 25 on the highway.

@Dagger311 You should put the nominations in the OP. Like for the Cool Wall. Except we wont know which one is up next, it's kinda fun that way :)
I don't think that he should do that. I kinda like being surprised completely.

Thanks for voting! I figured it might take the fun out, already knowing the vehicles, and I also thought knowing might influence the nominations.

Okay cool :) I like this thread a lot already, hopefully it'll get bigger with more participants.
I'm hoping as well, and judging by the increase in activity in the past few days, I'm "Betting on the come", so to speak.

But anyway, I'd just like to further stress how absolutely bulletproof the 305 and the Automatics in these are. They're almost unkillable. I suppose that's why you see them everywhere (Never seen a Brougham, but the regular Caprices had the same engine/transmission)!

This is a full size saloon/sedan right? Don't know too much about North America only cars.

You would hope that with a low stress, torquey engine it would go on forever. Also really jealous that you can consider this car and other big cars as first cars, damn expensive insurance here :(

Yes, it's classed as a full size sedan.

It does. Lots of torque, it doesn't rev too high with the auto, so the stress overall on the engine is very low.

And there's tons of big cars over here, which is why I assume insurance is cheap: replacement parts everywhere.

I guess it's a 'mobile sofa' car, looks very comfy :lol:

Yeah that makes sense, although it's just too expensive for young drivers here, whatever the car.

I've never been in one, but I'd assume it rides nice, it's pretty much a land yacht! :lol: 3,770 pounds? Someone needs a diet!

And insurance is high on anything over here for young drivers, but not unbearable.

Yeah that is heavy, especially for a reasonably old car. Literally irons out the bumps :lol: Bit of a chrome overload though.

Well there's nothing below £1000 a year for me :(

Chrome Overload
Impossible! :P

And I've never priced it, but I have a friend, he's just turned 21, and he works 32 hours a week at minimum wage. He can afford the insurance on a 90's Land Yacht Mercedes with some nice room in his paycheck for spending money.

Funny, I read the exact same thing. I even considered one of those as well.

Come on, who wouldn't want to ride up to school/work/whatever in a Mercedes! I heard they were slow as molasses however, so I decided against it.

Back