Vehicle of The Day

• Thread starter Dagger311
  • 592 comments

What should the future of this thread be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Exactly, the older Mercs are very classy. They aren't really slow as such, just not sporty like BMWs of the same era. Designed for comfort like the Chevy.

Nice, 90s and 80s Mercs can go on and on forever, so well made. My dad had one up until a few years ago.

I've got an '84 300D with the OM617, Inline 5 turbo diesel engine and that thing has been great. Unfortunately the previous owner didn't take care of it at all so it is a rusty piece of garbage, but the engine has been great. It is one of the slowest vehicles I've ever been in, (new it only had 123hp and 181ft/lb torque) but the engine has been pretty damn reliable. Just a few weeks ago I was driving and blew the rear caliper on the car and when I took it to my brothers shop and put it on a lift I touched the brake line and it disintegrated in my hands... I'm selling the car now but the engine (which only has 180K miles) is in great shape so I actually have quite a few people interested.

Here is how it sits now, pictures taken yesterday...

30mpg out of that thing was pretty easy to eek out so I'm hoping I can find a wagon version of the car in better shape to be a daily driver.

@peobryant That would be such a nice car if it was better condition, shame you're selling it. It's no surprise you have people interested in it.

180k is nothing for those W123 series Mercs, and the wagons have loads of space inside :)

@Leggy1 I got it for free (previous owner couldn't get it started, said if I could then I could have it) so I suppose I can't really complain. My brother has an '85 300D with the same engine and his was restored before he bought it so it is in a lot better shape than mine. If I remember I'll get a picture or two of it today.

@peobryant Yeah I suppose that's alright then. They are really sought after if they are in reasonable condition, your brother's one sounds like it could be very good. Also, the 300D is probably the best one to have, much more powerful than the previous diesels offered. The I4 diesels started at 55bhp for the W123 :lol:

I'm glad we're finally getting a bit of discussion in here! Looking more like a thread and less like me posting pictures every day.

9/4/14: 1964 Ford Galaxie, nominated by @mustang fanatic.
image-jpg.215527

Engines:

223 I6: 138 horsepower.
289 V8: 195 horsepower.
Other 289 V8: 225 horsepower.
Other, other 289 V8: 271 horsepower.
390 V8: 300 horsepower, 427 ft-lbs torque.
Other 390 V8: 330 horsepower, 427 ft-lbs torque.

From @Adamgp:

They were also available with two versions of a 406ci (ratings of 385hp & 405hp). Also two versions of a "427" (actual displacement was 425ci) with ratings of 410hp & 425hp.

Of course, those are factory estimates. True horsepower is unknown and hard to find stock dyno runs.

Drivetrain:

Front Engine, rear wheel drive.
3 speed manual.
Cruise-O-Matic 3 speed automatic.

Chassis/weight:

3,575 pounds.
Length: 209.9 inches.
Width: 81.5 inches.
Wheelbase: 119 inches.

As usual, accurate information is welcome. Specifically, torque numbers. This vehicle returns to the list on 10/4/14.

Last edited:
Two of them had showed the first one didnt

Any way i have to say the Galaxie is way hotter than the fairlane and the Falcon

Especially the Galaxie 500

Just a question about ford galaxies

Are they on the same chassis as the fairlane ?

And what the diffrence between the three Galaxie / Fairlane / Falcon

And how do they stack on the Ford line up

Surprisingly, the Galaxie competed, and won, in the British Touring Car Championship in 1963, I think it was the previous version?

Jack Sears won that years championship, mostly driving the Galaxie 500 but also Ford Cortinas.

BTCC-1963-640x427.jpg

Surprisingly, the Galaxie competed, and won, in the British Touring Car Championship in 1963, I think it was the previous version?

Jack Sears won that years championship, mostly driving the Galaxie 500 but also Ford Cortinas.

BTCC-1963-640x427.jpg

That is an awesome piece of motoring history

When Big fords went against small minis head to head

9/5/14: 2004-2011 Bristol Fighter, nominated by @Leggy1.
2003%20Bristol%20Fighter.jpg

Engine:

8 liter Chrysler V10: 525 horsepower, 515 ft-lbs torque.

Drivetrain:

Front Engine, rear wheel drive.
6 speed manual.
Possibly a 4 speed automatic.

Chassis/weight:

3,527 pounds.
Wheelbase: 108.3 inches.
Length: 174 inches.
Width: 70.7 inches.
Height: 53 inches.

All specs are listed for the base model car. There are other, faster, and more powerful models, however. This supercar returns to the list on 10/5/14.

Last edited:
Fixed, it was a typo 👍.

And only 13? Wow. No wonder I've never seen one, not even at a show.
Yeah super rare and very expensive. I saw one on show at Goodwood this year, coincidentally next to a Viper RT-10, where it gets it's engine and drivetrain from.

As with the Ace cobra they didnt have v8 engines originally right ?

Only when caroll shelby came along
I'm not terribly sure, to be honest the only one I know anything about is the Shelby one :lol:. I'm pretty sure A/C Cobras had V6's before Shelby got ahold of them.

Edit: Seems as though they had 260's.

Last edited:
I'm not terribly sure, to be honest the only one I know anything about is the Shelby one :lol:. I'm pretty sure A/C Cobras had V6's before Shelby got ahold of them.

Edit: Seems as though they had 260's.
Originally the AC Ace Bristol (Cobra base chassis) had 2-2.6L I6s, with about 170hp at the most. It was only when Shelby came along when they got V8s.

Back