Vehicle of The Day

• Thread starter Dagger311
  • 592 comments

What should the future of this thread be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally the AC Ace Bristol (Cobra base chassis) had 2-2.6L I6s, with about 170hp at the most. It was only when Shelby came along when they got V8s.
Alright, cool. *Themoreyouknow picture*.

The VOTD will be coming in late today, got a lot of stuff to do today. Expect it around 2-3 PM.

9/6/14: Audi R18 E-Tron Quattro LMP1, nominated by @ProjectWHaT.
2014-Audi-R18-e-tron-quattro-651.jpg

Engine:

4.0 TDI V6, as well as two 100 horsepower electric motors. Estimated 510 horsepower, and 470 ft-lbs torque.

Drivetrain:
Engine powers the rear wheels, motors power the fron wheels, AWD.

A "Flywheel based, electric drive system." was all I could find on transmission.

No other information I could find, sorry. This vehicle returns to the list on 10/6/14.

Remember guys, today is nomination day. I'll be doing it extra late, to allow time for people from all time zones to add their nominations in.

9/7/14: 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Sports Coupe 283 Turbo-Glide, nominated by me, @Dagger311.
1365px-57_Chevy_BelAir_2_Door_Hardtop.jpg

Engine:

Chevrolet 283 Small block V8, rated at 185 horsepower, and 275 ft-lbs torque.

Drivetrain:

Front Engine, rear wheel drive.
3 speed Turboglide automatic.

Chassis/weight:

3,480 pounds.

Wheelbase: 115 inches.
Length: 200 inches.
Width: 73.9 inches.
Height: 58.5 inches.

So glad this got picked! Another one of my favorite cars of all time! It comes back to the list on 10/7/14.

Also, I've decided to make all VOTD posts around 5 PM, so all cars have a roughly equal amount of time up.

The '57 Bel Air is one of my favorite cars of all time as well. The owner/manager of my local Thorntons gas station has a fully restored, teal and white '57 and it is absolutely glorious. He has taken me for a ride in it a few times and man am I jealous!

The '57 Bel Air is one of my favorite cars of all time as well. The owner/manager of my local Thorntons gas station has a fully restored, teal and white '57 and it is absolutely glorious. He has taken me for a ride in it a few times and man am I jealous!
I am very jealous of you, such a wonderful, beautiful car.

Really? Not very often I hear someone say a Bel Air is one of their favorites! 👍.

And I've seen my fair share of nice 57 Chevy's as well. One that really stands out was a bright blue one that was for sale (20 grand) at a car show. Immaculate condition, numbers matching, and just some faded paint. It was a sedan with a 283.

Really? Not very often I hear someone say a Bel Air is one of their favorites! 👍.

And I've seen my fair share of nice 57 Chevy's as well. One that really stands out was a bright blue one that was for sale (20 grand) at a car show. Immaculate condition, numbers matching, and just some faded paint. It was a sedan with a 283.

Numbers matching is something I really couldn't care less about, especially in something like a Bel Air. If I ever bought one, it'd just be a cruiser. Something I'd take out on nice days, roll the windows down and just enjoy a nice drive in a beautiful car, with my beautiful wife beside me of course. Unfortunately she wants the new MX-5 more than a Bel Air. :lol:

Numbers matching is something I really couldn't care less about, especially in something like a Bel Air. If I ever bought one, it'd just be a cruiser. Something I'd take out on nice days, roll the windows down and just enjoy a nice drive in a beautiful car, with my beautiful wife beside me of course. Unfortunately she wants the new MX-5 more than a Bel Air. :lol:
I care about numbers matching on certain cars. The problem is, numbers-matching = more expensive.

And if I bought one, I'd keep it stock. It's be a weekend car for me.

As far as the new MX-5, I'd rather have the Bel-Air :P.

If I were in the car business, as in I wanted to make money off them, I suppose I'd have to care about numbers matching cars. Since I'm not and I like cars purely for the enjoyment, I couldn't care less about numbers matching. Give me the keys to a '69 Charger with a 426 Hemi and I don't think the first thing I'm gonna do is ask if it is numbers matching car.

If I were in the car business, as in I wanted to make money off them, I suppose I'd have to care about numbers matching cars. Since I'm not and I like cars purely for the enjoyment, I couldn't care less about numbers matching. Give me the keys to a '69 Charger with a 426 Hemi and I don't think the first thing I'm gonna do is ask if it is numbers matching car.
Numbers matching is really more of a nice addition than a deal-breaker for me.

Sorry it's late guys. I kinda screwed up a deadlift, which hurt my back. I then messed around with some friends on here and forgot all about my duty as OP.

9/8/14: 1996 Peugot 406 Coupe, nominated by @The Stig Farmer.
406.jpg

Engine:

2.2 16V (158 Hp)
3.0 V6 (207 Hp)
2.2 HDi (133 Hp)
2.0 16V (135 Hp)
3.0 V6 24V (190 Hp)
2.0 16V (132 Hp)

That should be good, right?

Drivetrain:

FF.
Unsure on transmission.

Chassis:

Wheelbase: 106.8 inches.
Length: 181.7 inches.
Width: 70.1 inches.
Height: 55 inches.

Unsure on weight.

This car returns on 10/8/14.

It has a Sleek aerodynamic look to it which

Makes it good to look at

It has good powertrains but unsure about reliability and durability

9/9/14: 1963 MAZ 537, nominated by @Leggy1.

maz_537_l1.jpg

Information in the quotes, provided courtesy of @Leggy1.
Produced in the Soviet Union (now Belarus) 1963-? Succeeded in 1981. Still in use today in many countries including Russia. Primary use is tank transporter.

Basic specs:

Chassis- 8x8
Seating for 4 people

Weight (empty)- 22 tonnes (48,501 pounds)
Can tow loads of up to 50 tonnes, not including weight of trailer.

Length- 9.13m
Width- 2.88m
Height- 2.89m

Engine is a Kharkiv model V-2, specifically the D12A-525 version.
38.9 litre (2,367.7 cu in) V12 Quad Valve Diesel
525hp @ 2100rpm
1428 lbs ft @ 1200 rpm
Max. speed 55-60 km/h (34-37 mph)

Standard equipment includes an engine pre-heater, to assist starting in cold climate, and powerful cab heaters. A central tyre inflation system is fitted, to provide better traction over sand and soft ground.

Thanks for that, made my job a whole lot easier! :lol:. I fell in love with this after seeing it. I would love to have one and go wild with it. This vehicle comes back to the list on 10/9/14.

Also, @Leggy1, all of your submissions have been picked.

@Dagger311 I will get some more nominations in then :D

I don't really know why I love it, maybe because of the oversize engine, or the characterful looks.

I would love to own one, and just drive it around to see people's reactions :lol: It's a very capable vehicle by todays standards, apparently some are still in service in Russia. One stat I read is it can descend a 53 degree slope with a fully loaded trailer in tow. 70+ tonnes :scared:

@Dagger311 I will get some more nominations in then :D

I don't really know why I love it, maybe because of the oversize engine, or the characterful looks.

I would love to own one, and just drive it around to see people's reactions :lol: It's a very capable vehicle by todays standards, apparently some are still in service in Russia. One stat I read is it can descend a 53 degree slope with a fully loaded trailer in tow. 70+ tonnes :scared:
Wow... 70 tons? And at a little over a 45 degree angle? One tough vehicle.

And the video above is why I like it. Awesome sound.

Wow... 70 tons? And at a little over a 45 degree angle? One tough vehicle.

And the video above is why I like it. Awesome sound.
Yeah, maximum rated towing capacity of 75000kg I think, plus 22000kg of the MAZ itself. It's a crazy vehicle.

It does sound great, a lovely V12. Much cooler than a straight 6 turbo of the modern era of heavy transport trucks. And 38.9 litres, awesome! :lol:

Yeah, maximum rated towing capacity of 75000kg I think, plus 22000kg of the MAZ itself. It's a crazy vehicle.

It does sound great, a lovely V12. Much cooler than a straight 6 turbo of the modern era of heavy transport trucks. And 38.9 litres, awesome! :lol:
I can see why it's used/was used by the Russian military! Sounds crazy dependable.

Back