Vintage Cars (1920's-1930's) Please

• Thread starter analog
  • 123 comments
I can sort of understand how some people think 1930s race cars would be incredibly boring. They look at the history of Formula One and see that it started in 1950, and the cars from the 1950s seem to be quite slow and cumbersome compared to the 1960s and 1970s stuff.

So they probably think,"there's no way that cars from before 1950 could be exciting at all, right? They weren't even F1 cars."

:lol:

Well ironically, the F1 cars from the 1930's were the most powerful ever produced until the turbocharged era of the 1980's, where the F1 cars would reach in excess of 1200 BHP

And here I was thinking about Ford V8s, Cord 812s, Model Js and Traction Avants. Don't know much about the race cars of that era.

Would love a premium Model T too.

And here I was thinking about Ford V8s, Cord 812s, Model Js and Traction Avants. Don't know much about the race cars of that era.

Would love a premium Model T too.

As I made clear in the OP, I also meant those kind of cars, not exclusively race cars.
As for your suggestions, the Traction Avant would be significant being the first FF production car ever but since the selection would be limited, perhaps it can be combined with the Ford V8 in the form of the Citroën 22CV (a Ford V8 powered Traction Avant model which unfortunately didn't reach production yet they built about 10 of them). ;)

tracti11.jpg

I could see this as an opportunity for a few fun lobbies and photo mode adventures. Or this could be a standard car nightmare.

As I made clear in the OP, I also meant those kind of cars, not exclusively race cars.
As for your suggestions, the Traction Avant would be significant being the first FF production car ever but since the selection would be limited, perhaps it can be combined with the Ford V8 in the form of the Citroën 22CV (a Ford V8 powered Traction Avant model which unfortunately didn't reach production yet they built about 10 of them). ;)

tracti11.jpg

My, what an attractive motor car! :embarrassed:

"Untapped wealth" is all I can and have said on this matter.

I can sort of understand how some people think 1930s race cars would be incredibly boring. They look at the history of Formula One and see that it started in 1950, and the cars from the 1950s seem to be quite slow and cumbersome compared to the 1960s and 1970s stuff.

Agree, although Auto-Union (or Dr. Porsche) already pioneered the default mid-engined layout used since the sixties in the thirties.
And strange as it might seem now, the fact it was only done again 30 years later was partly due to this period (and the cars) being largely forgotten (or didn't want to remember given the political situation and what ensued due to it).

But maybe the boring part simply refers to the roadcars of that era which might indeed not instantly shout excitement in the way they look compared to modern cars or even cars from the early fifties (which already resemble modern cars with integrated fenders/bonnet/headlights) and maybe that conjures up the sort of corny black and white images or 'old fart' appeal generally associated with them.
By putting them in a current videogame however, you also take them out of that stereotypical context, and they can be judged on their own merit and be appreciated for what they offer that differs from anything built since.

Outright speed and perfectly balanced handling isn't everything, I hugely enjoyed the Model-T in GT4 as it proved fun can be had without going fast (in the same way the Kübel and Schwimmwagen, or Tank Car for that matter, currently offer something that hugely appeals but which some will never understand) and one of the most intense online racing sessions I had in GT5 was when the whole field used completely stock Fiat 500F's. :lol:

Oh, you officially got me excited 👍

30mb_710_SSK_Trossi_Roadster_1.jpg

Glad to be of service ;), and who wouldn't want to drive that SSK "Count Trossi"?

Mercedes SSK. :drool:

Now here's a wild 1920s car for you, the Leyat Helica:

france_motor_helica.jpg

PD might just be crazy enough to add it too, I mean, they added a 🤬 Schwimmwagen to the series. :lol: I wonder what a propeller-driven car with rear wheel steering feels like...

Weighing only 250KG, was pretty quick as well.

Or howabout this 1930s oddity, the Dymaxion.

1300811693-image-5001.jpg

dymaxion-car-at-salon-prive-1.jpg

Rear engined, front wheel drive (yes, you read that right), also rear wheel steering (just the one rear wheel for this one, :lol: ), seats 11 passengers and gets 30 miles to the gallon with a V8 engine. An 85hp V8, but still. :lol:

That Dymaxion was recreated a couple of years ago (the original one didn't exist anymore) at the behest of famous architect Sir Norman Foster, using the original drawings.
They did experiment a lot with unusual configurations in the early years (more unusual now than it might've appear then though since it wasn't set in stone yet as it now appears to be), how about this 1912 Schilovski Gyrocar, only 2 wheels and the gyroscope (fitted in the centre) also balancing the car when stationary as the picture shows.

shilov0.jpg

Here's an example of very early aerodynamic experimentation, using a more conventional layout, an Alfa Romeo from 1914.

1914-alfa-60-hp-aerodinamica-prototype-2.jpg

But let's not give Kaz ideas ;), although a Tatra T87 (build from 1937-1950) is just the right sort of odd to include, a rear-engined (aircooled V8) saloon with tricky handling.

tatra-t87-sedan-5jpg_65.jpg

I would love to see a 1932 Rolls-Royce Phantom II but in my head I would have Cruella De Vil stuck in my head while driving it XD

I usually agree with most suggestions that want to add something but this is one feature that I personally wouldn't care that much for.

Maybe a few rat rods/hot rods built off of old ford trucks or a bel-air but I don't think there needs to be many of them.

I know that many of the cars in L.A. Noire are slightly late on, but my god they are beautiful. Its a unique and memorable point in time, and much can be said about the cars too. Especially playing that game in black & white, so wonderful.

I wonder what a propeller-driven car with rear wheel steering feels like...

Or howabout this 1930s oddity, the Dymaxion.

1300811693-image-5001.jpg

Rear engined, front wheel drive (yes, you read that right), also rear wheel steering (just the one rear wheel for this one, :lol: ), seats 11 passengers and gets 30 miles to the gallon with a V8 engine. An 85hp V8, but still. :lol:

Any car with rear wheel steering is a suicide-mobile!

I wonder how effective that propeller car was, surely it must be a more effective use of fuel to have the engine drive the wheels than a propeller?

And the Dymaxion looks awesome!

Just googled Dymaxion, the artist behind the concept also made a really cool world map projection, called the "Dymaxion World". That fact alone is enough to make me want that car :D

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm out on old pre WWII autos.

For the most part...BORING. Unless your name is James May and or you are a tweed jacket aficionado.

Boring? Did you just say boring?
Grand Prix Racing in the 30s was probably the most dangerous era of motorsports. Thight and bumbpy roads, crappy tires, no aero, unsynchronized gearboxes (ever heared of double declutching?), cars which weighted 700-800kg and had 500-700hp (Auto Union and Mercedes), no seatbelts (drivers prefered to get launched out of the car then burn to death)... Maybe those cars were slower then your average hyper car today, but calling them boring while many men, who tried to tame these beasts, died horrofic deaths is not nice :grumpy:

mercedes-benz-w125_fc71d.jpg

This car has a 5,7 liter 8 cylinder engine which produces ~570hp , weights 750 kg. Mercedes even build a streamliner version of this car, which features a 5,6 liter V12 with 736hp.
After 76 years, it still helds the official speed record on public roads, it did 432km/h on the german autobahn.

I would defo take this car instead of the SLS black series.

1RGBwjc.gif

LOL! :lol:

So they probably think,"there's no way that cars from before 1950 could be exciting at all, right? They weren't even F1 cars."

:lol:
Good post ;)

Most people dont know that F1 rules were very different from pre WWII european championship regs. Mercedes even considered to use the W165 when F1 started. Auto Union and Mercedes engineering excellence and team operations were unmatched till the 70s.

Last edited:
I'd love a vintage GT spin-off.

Why would it need a spin off? It's not something completely different, just another era currently not included and would perfectly fit within GT as it is (there's no spin off for cars from the fifties/sixties either as the nice thing about a game like GT is that you can experience cars from several eras in one game).

Imagine having this sitting in your garage alongside some moderns.

bentley%204-5%20blower%201.jpgd9259990-96ec-42e2-a307-abd8bce52d95Large.jpg

bentley%204-5%20blower%209.jpg3833e770-de48-4f08-b610-73c228d28440Large.jpg

bentley%204-5%20blower%204.jpgce75e628-9e62-4dd7-98b9-65b32692d9cbLarge.jpg

Last edited:
This is the stuff of legend, Kaz may need to build a new GT game and just have it as a core and just add more autos and courses. Send out new physics and updates when they get those and I'd gladly pay once to own the game and buy content over the years to increase the base of the game. Vintage 20's-30's car pack including some of the open wheelers and of course you can't have that without some vintage courses to go with it like old Spa and Hockehiem Ring. This thread got my mind going I envision a GT game with a giant global community and in game we have large tourneys with people bringing out their vintage wheels and doing a track day of just driving around courses, or sitting in the paddock and checking out other players cars and what they are doing in their game. Virtual garage but connected and with a congregate feature that allows up to 50 at a time to be in one area to meet and greet, set up races which can be viewed by more than 50 using a spectator view which allows non players to just enjoy the show of autos. Complete with vintage era sounds too, crop dusters anyone?

Why would it need a spin off? It's not something completely different, just another era currently not included and would perfectly fit within GT as it is (there's no spin off for cars from the fifties/sixties either as the nice thing about a game like GT is that you can experience cars from several eras in one game).

Imagine having this sitting in your garage alonside some moderns.

bentley%204-5%20blower%201.jpgd9259990-96ec-42e2-a307-abd8bce52d95Large.jpg

bentley%204-5%20blower%209.jpg3833e770-de48-4f08-b610-73c228d28440Large.jpg

bentley%204-5%20blower%204.jpgce75e628-9e62-4dd7-98b9-65b32692d9cbLarge.jpg

Because I think it would be better to have vintage courses and vintage competition. I just think the idea merits an entire game with the GT engine dedicated to it.

And frankly, the garage of thousands starts to get unwieldy, for myself anyway.

Love to see it in GT5 but you'll never see it as a standalone, don't think the market is big enough for the vintage stuff.

Because I think it would be better to have vintage courses and vintage competition. I just think the idea merits an entire game with the GT engine dedicated to it.

And frankly, the garage of thousands starts to get unwieldy, for myself anyway.

That's also possible when they're included in GT as it is right now, why add a completely unnecessary extra layer of inconvenience by having to swap discs to drive a vintage car?
And what has that got to do with a garage of thousands? Same would apply to adding new modern cars (please think).
And even though it would be nice to have vintage tracks as well, that's absolutely no necessity for these cars to be added, and if they will, it would be nice to drive modern cars there as well, wouldn't it?

Seriously, we're just talking about cars here, not motorcycles which I could understand some wanting to keep separated, simply cars that look and drive differently but would fit perfect in a car game.
I mean, they already had the Benz/Daimler/Model-T/Auto-Union in GT4 which apart from the Model-T were mostly irrelevant oddities from a driving game perspective, which the cars discussed here are most certainly not.

That's also possible when they're included in GT as it is right now, why add a completely unnecessary extra layer of inconvenience by having to swap discs to drive a vintage car?
And what has that got to do with a garage of thousands? Same would apply to adding new modern cars (please think).
And even though it would be nice to have vintage tracks as well, that's absolutely no necessity for these cars to be added, and if they will, it would be nice to drive modern cars there as well, wouldn't it?

Seriously, we're just talking about cars here, not motorcycles which I could understand some wanting to keep separated, simply cars that look and drive differently but would fit perfect in a car game.
I mean, they already had the Benz/Daimler/Model-T/Auto-Union in GT4 which apart from the Model-T were mostly irrelevant oddities from a driving game perspective, which the cars discussed here are most certainly not.
Ok. Out.

I would rather have 70's - 90's normal cars (from citi cars to luxury sedans) than these old and slow cars with BAD handling, but some are very nice. But boring to race them.

Love to see it in GT5 but you'll never see it as a standalone, don't think the market is big enough for the vintage stuff.

There's no reason in today's modern world that PD couldn't at some point release an expansion pack for GT6, I'm not talking just your average couple of cars / tracks DLC for a few dollars (or equivalent) but a proper expansion pack for maybe $15-$20 or so.

Imagine it something like this as an example:

10 vintage race cars (maybe a group that raced together and a few others)
5 vintage sports / road cars of a similar era
5 real vintage track recreations (from videos / pictures) and / or vintage style fantasy tracks perhaps based on real world tracks / locations

Of course there's no reason an idea like that could be limited to just vintage cars either, expansion packs could be made with tracks / cars for just about any other group of cars or racing series but that's really for another thread :).

Back