Vintage Cars (1920's-1930's) Please

• Thread starter analog
  • 123 comments
Yep, they're a handful alright but so much to offer in all sorts of areas that learning to master them is no doubt a worthwhile pursuit.

And the sound.

The original 1906 route of the legendary Targa Florio, ran 148 kms through the hills of Sicily on roads like this:

targaflorio.jpg
Google Earth view just south of Castlebuono

maserati6cmatsilverston.jpg

1937-1939 Winner - Maserati 6CM

No offense to Nurb fans, but the route of the Targa Florio makes the Nurb look like Tsukuba by comparison!!!

Which is the whole reason why people want them in GT6, I suspect. Its the reason I want them at least, :lol:

I loved the challenge of driving older cars in sims ever since I first played Grand Prix Legends, and that game featured late 1960s F1 cars and tracks. To say that the learning curve was steep would be an understatement, but once you figured what you needed to do to drive them, it all became clear. Subtle and constant steering inputs. Smooth and slow application of the throttle. Using a bit of trailbraking and late downshifts to keep the car stable in corner entry. If the Auto Union C Streamliner from GT4 is anything to go by, even more caution needs to be exercised with pre-war cars. :lol:

All easier said than done, but very rewarding when you drive clean laps. People like to drive difficult circuits because they are a challenge to master, and it's no different with cars. There is perhaps no greater challenge than driving an Auto Union C open wheeler, with it's mid-engined layout, bicycle tires, drum brakes, primitive suspension and 550hp.

Plus, it sounded like a monster.

Skip to 1:30. If PD got anywhere close to capturing that iconic V16 engine's sound, I would cry with happiness. :lol:

I hear your V16 and raise you another V16 that sounds even more orgasmic.

:drool:

Back