Vintage Cars (1920's-1930's) Please

• Thread starter analog
  • 123 comments
I love modern cars, but the cars I've wanted to see most in GT5 are accurate representations of F1 and other race cars from the 50-70's. Imagine Fangio's Maserati, the iconic Cooper T51, Jacques Villeneuves Ferrari 312T3 and of course the incredible Tyrell P34 6 wheeled F1 car. Throw in Lemans cars, Can-Am cars, World Sports Car Championship cars etc. etc. Get the sound right and it would be absolutely heaven!!!!

Add me to the list of those who would love to see more vintage cars. Race cars, Street cars, Hot Rods all would be a welcome addition. Would much rather have some of these than the latest hyper car

and other race cars from the 50-70's.

Me too but that period (albeit not those specific cars or categories you've mentioned) is already covered to an extend, with GT always (with a few exceptions in GT4) starting from the fifties (mostly sixties it has to be said) onwards, and this thread (I deliberately used vintage instead of classic to indicate the difference) was aimed for the period before WW2, specifically the period between WW1 and WW2 as that's when cars became more interesting from a videogame perspective.

I would love tons of new classics from the 50's/60's/70's as that's my personal favourite era too but I always wondered why they didn't go further back since they seem to emphasise the car encyclopedia aspect so often, and this period offering a unique and challenging driving experience not found since.

Basically stuff like this.

Anything with white wall tires would be excellent :) Love to see a lot more of those in GT6!

IMG_7516+(2).jpg

Me too but ....
Basically stuff like this.

For sure, love to see that too. I'm guessing that the older cars take quite a bit more time to model given the intricacies of their bodywork relative to today's relatively smooth exterior skins. Still I'd especially love to see some real Vintage race cars with proper sounds and tires that grip relative to what they did in real life back in the day!!!

I'm guessing that the older cars take quite a bit more time to model given the intricacies of their bodywork relative to today's relatively smooth exterior skins.

No doubt, although if you closely inspect the amount of detail present on the KTM for example (especially the rear section), it doesn't necessarily depend on period, although that's indeed not the most obvious example of a 'typical modern car'. ;)
Those vintage cars have a lot of extra detail to model but then again, a gear lever on the outside means less modelling time spent on the interior. :D

I'm guessing that the older cars take quite a bit more time to model given the intricacies of their bodywork relative to today's relatively smooth exterior skins. Still I'd especially love to see some real Vintage race cars with proper sounds and tires that grip relative to what they did in real life back in the day!!!
The one big issue would be that they need to find one in good condition to model from which may be very hard to gain access to.

I'm game. Some of my picks:

Alfa 8C-29000B

1938_Alfa_Romeo_8C_2900B_by_oO_Rein_Oo.jpg

Auburn Speedster:
Auburn_Speedster_Replica_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg

Mercedes W196:
IMG_0435.jpg

Cisitalia (hard to believe this is pre-50s, must have looked so futuristic in it's time)
cisitalia-1.jpg

Bentley Blower:
1931-blower-bentley-side-view.jpg

Any of those would be wonderful.

No doubt, although if you closely inspect the amount of detail present on the KTM for example (especially the rear section), it doesn't necessarily depend on period, although that's indeed not the most obvious example of a 'typical modern car'. ;)
Those vintage cars have a lot of extra detail to model but then again, a gear lever on the outside means less modelling time spent on the interior. :D

True, but there's only one KTM (and it's ugly I might add). You won't likely see a field of Vintage cars was kind of what I was getting at, but it would be nice to see one or two, especially in conjunction with a livery editor!

The one big issue would be that they need to find one in good condition to model from which may be very hard to gain access to.

A particular car maybe, but I'm sure there are plenty of collectors that would be more than happy to have one of their cars featured in GT5. Jay Leno's Garage alone is an entire video game in the making and we already know he's friendly with the series.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/

Kaz is one of the judges of the Pebble Beach Concours each year, nevermind that most big car brands they have good connections with already, have their own museums.
Then there's a whole scene of private owners of which a lot would no doubt be more than willing to offer theirs to model if asked.

I doubt the issue is gaining access to a few iconic 20's or 30's cars (I mean, they modelled the sole existing XJ13), nor finding ones that are in good condition (in fact, some of these cars are harder to find in a bad condition as they're mostly lovingly cared for over decades, especially the really exotic ones).

The issue is whether Kaz really wants them included or not, if he wants them he has all the means and connections to find them.

True, but there's only one KTM (and it's ugly I might add). You won't likely see a field of Vintage cars was kind of what I was getting at, but it would be nice to see one or two, especially in conjunction with a livery editor!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for an entire field, just a few (even just one right now) would already be enough, although this era deserves more respect than just a few it has to be said.
Who knows, maybe due to this being a largely unknown (and therefor unpopular) part of car history for a large part of the demographic that currently plays videogames, adding some will have the scales falling from their eyes and they'll demand more.

As for a livery editor, of all the cars you could use as an example to use a livery editor for, this has to be the least suitable. :lol:
I'd love a livery editor but I doubt I'd use it for these cars....unless....you can also use it to make them look rusty and scruffy like taking a barnfind directly to the track. ;)

Last edited:
The complexity of a lot of the older cars would probably require a paradigm shift in the way that PD builds the models. If they aren't 3D scanning everything by now, they need to be soon.

I would love to see some 70s and 80s GT race cars. I'm also really hoping to see all of vintage rally cars back. Seeing them add the Audi Quattro is nice and hopefully means more new vintage rally cars but Id hate to lose any that are already there.

Might be a bit pushing it, but vintage cars really need places they can race too. Bremgarten in Switzerland for instance:

(Hmmm, wonder if Grindelwald was inspired by Bremgarten... :lol: )

Howabout some ERAs at Brooklands?

Looks like hilarious fun, :D

Lastly, a Mercedes W125 at the Nordschleife, with 636HP, the most powerful Grand Prix car for over 40 years. This guy's driving through the high speed esses has to be seen to be believed:

Now imagine all of these in GT6 graphics. :D

Last edited:
Might be a bit pushing it, but vintage cars really need places they can race too. Bremgarten in Switzerland for instance:
..snip...Now imagine all of these in GT6 graphics. :D

Absolutely epic would be the only way to describe it:tup:👍

Kaz is one of the judges of the Pebble Beach Concours each year, nevermind that most big car brands they have good connections with already, have their own museums.
Then there's a whole scene of private owners of which a lot would no doubt be more than willing to offer theirs to model if asked.

I doubt the issue is gaining access to a few iconic 20's or 30's cars (I mean, they modelled the sole existing XJ13), nor finding ones that are in good condition (in fact, some of these cars are harder to find in a bad condition as they're mostly lovingly cared for over decades, especially the really exotic ones).
I was thinking more along the lines of issues that could be related to adding a specific car. If one were to just look for vintage cars in general and then add a few of the coolest ones located that would not be a big undertaking beyond that of the actual modeling.

This thread is seriously arousing me.

Nice to hear that :lol:, just hope that more will get enthused by these cars and this era which often tends to be forgotten or doesn't even cross people's minds as a seriously fun possibility (it's certainly the perfect antidote to current day supercars).

I was thinking more along the lines of issues that could be related to adding a specific car. If one were to just look for vintage cars in general and then add a few of the coolest ones located that would not be a big undertaking beyond that of the actual modeling.

Not anymore difficult than, say getting access to an XJ13 or 330 P4, or any rare exotic and highly valuable car.
If they chose to add a specific thirties Mercedes for example, they would have access to Mercedes's own huge museum (think that's where they got the data for the 19th Century Benz and Daimler in GT4 from) and like I said before, Kaz is a judge at Pebble Beach each year which probably shows the most glamorous and rare vintage cars in perfect condition and their owners are present as well to contact (you won't easily snub a judge I guess ;)).

And if they'd wanted to have a small selection of this era included, the most obvious choice would be to include the, well, most obvious choices which are the most iconic cars, I doubt they'd set out to find a specific one-off coachbuilt Bentley most haven't heard of (unless they'd already have easy access to it) when there are plenty of opportunities to find a variant of the Blower Bentley most petrolheads will know.
I love it when PD often includes the less obvious cars but in this case (where the era itself is the less obvious one to include in a videogame), the obvious choices would suffice.

(Hmmm, wonder if Grindelwald was inspired by Bremgarten... :lol: )

Grindelwald reminds me a lot of old grand prix circuits - very picturesque, undulating, fast, and flowing. Easily my favourite GT track. PD needs to create/model more of those old grand prix style circuits.

Solitudering is another great grand prix circuit that isn't particularly renowned nowadays.

Last edited:
100% agreed on more Vintage. GT has always had plenty of oddball cars as well, that's one of my favorite things about it's garages. I was playing Test Drive-Ferrari Racing Legends for a bit. It has all the eras of Ferraris with period tracks too. I wished it could have had GT's graphics and physics.

I grew up watching the late 60's early 70's NASCAR stock cars. Superbirds, Chargers, fastback Fords and Mercuries. Love those cars! Like was said, there's so many available vehicles to model from. A large roster of Vintage would give GT a more unique place in the simcade world. Modern supercars have been looking so similar in the past decade, most are beautiful but are in a similar style. Look at all the cars that might be the "blue cover" car.

I grew up watching the late 60's early 70's NASCAR stock cars. Superbirds, Chargers, fastback Fords and Mercuries. Love those cars! Like was said, there's so many available vehicles to model from. A large roster of Vintage would give GT a more unique place in the simcade world. Modern supercars have been looking so similar in the past decade, most are beautiful but are in a similar style. Look at all the cars that might be the "blue cover" car.
Same here, some old Nascars thrown into the mix would be very cool as well as some of the open wheeled racers from back in the early days and pretty much any of the vintage autos race or street. I would much rather see this type of thing added than a bunch of new super cars.

Aside from all the super cars being similar they are also found in so many other games and imo get rather boring after a while whereas the vintage cars are not in any of the top racing games to speak of so not only would it be very cool but it could be a big draw to the game perhaps attracting people that would otherwise not be interested.

That would be awesome to see cars from that era! :cool: Although it might be too painful for PD to delete 50 duplicate Skylines/other crapboxes. :dopey:

Sorry, I'm out on old pre WWII autos.

For the most part...BORING. Unless your name is James May and or you are a tweed jacket aficionado.

That being said, some of the race cars from the fifties and more Classic Ferrari and other old Grand Touring cars yes.

Speaking of James May, who here that isn't a fan of lawnmower sounding Hondas doesn't want to see something like the Ferrari 250 GT California Spider in GT6?

Aside from all the super cars being similar they are also found in so many other games and imo get rather boring after a while whereas the vintage cars are not in any of the top racing games to speak of so not only would it be very cool but it could be a big draw to the game perhaps attracting people that would otherwise not be interested.

It would be one key distinguishing factor compared to other console games, they do pop up in several PC sims/games but mostly as selfmade mods.
Attracting people who'd otherwise not be persuaded to play GT would be nice but more importantly I think it'll be a hopefully worthwhile and eye-opening addition for those who already play it.

Another thing is that the oldest cars currently in GT are the Kübel and Schwimmwagen, and even though I really love them it isn't the most logical place to start from historically, by which I mean there almost being 60 years of automotive history preceding them.
And of those 60 years, probably only 20 of it (20's and 30's) offering very interesting machinery to include in a videogame, some of which no doubt more challenging to keep on the track, despite being far slower, than any modern supercar.

For the most part...BORING. Unless your name is James May and or you are a tweed jacket aficionado.

Well, you can't convince everyone ofcourse, although I don't really get the 'boring' part nor what James May (or tweed jackets for that matter) has to with anything?
Appreciating certain cars from another era doesn't mean I dress accordingly or am some eccentric monocle wearing history buff, it's just being a bit openminded and seeing potential in a huge untapped field which could be a lot of fun in a videogame (wouldn't even consider driving a car from this era on a daily basis in real life).
But if you simply don't get what's appealing and exciting in the clip below (or what cars like it could offer in GT) then that's fine ofcourse, but please don't resort to lazy stereotypes to describe that you can't understand that others do.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm out on old pre WWII autos.

Over 600hp, less than a ton and speeds of over 200mph on such tiny tyres doesn't sound that boring.

It would certainly ensure James May's tweed jacket was a particular shade of brown.

LOL! :lol:

I can sort of understand how some people think 1930s race cars would be incredibly boring. They look at the history of Formula One and see that it started in 1950, and the cars from the 1950s seem to be quite slow and cumbersome compared to the 1960s and 1970s stuff.

So they probably think,"there's no way that cars from before 1950 could be exciting at all, right? They weren't even F1 cars."

:lol:

Latest Posts

Back