Vintage Cars (1920's-1930's) Please

• Thread starter analog
  • 123 comments
I would rather have 70's - 90's normal cars (from citi cars to luxury sedans) than these old and slow cars with BAD handling, but some are very nice. But boring to race them.

Except that some are not slow at all. Quite the opposite.

Heres a few I would like to see

Auburn 851 "Boattail" Speedster '35
35-Auburn-851-Boattail-Spee.jpg

Bugatti Type 57SC '36 - most expensive car in the world, $30M+
36-Bugatti_Type-57SC_Replica-DV_11-AI_013.jpg

Daimler Double Six 50 Sport Corsica Drophead Coupe '31
1931%2BDaimler%2BDouble-Six%2B50%2BCorsica%2BDrophead%2BCoupe.jpg

Rolls Royce Phantom I '29 (The Great Gatsby Car)
rollsx-large.jpg

And 'bad handling' being the most exciting and challenging aspect perhaps, which ensures it won't be boring.
I don't expect everyone to like them obviously but the fact these are the complete opposite in many regards (not all though) to how modern cars behave (that's progress) is the sole reason I created this thread, you know, proper variety and all.

But it also depends on which cars, as the difference between boring and interesting was as present then as it is today, here are 2 pre war BMW roadsters, one a cute oddity which could be argued to eventually being boring for most after the novelty wears off, the other a legendary sportscar which to me is as logical to add as the often requested E30 M3.

8020319453_f51a07bdaf_z.jpg

1936_BMW_328_roadster_001_7662.jpg

Last edited:
Sprplay and Earth - 100% agree.

Those cars are beauties we deserve.

Especially the 57 and Count Trossi.

I should also point out that cars don't have to be fast to be fun, just depends on where you drive them. A car with a top speed of 50mph is going to be very boring on a track like Daytona Speedway but could be a lot of fun on shorter more difficult tracks.

There's no reason in today's modern world that PD couldn't at some point release an expansion pack for GT6, I'm not talking just your average couple of cars / tracks DLC for a few dollars (or equivalent) but a proper expansion pack for maybe $15-$20 or so.

Imagine it something like this as an example:

10 vintage race cars (maybe a group that raced together and a few others)
5 vintage sports / road cars of a similar era
5 real vintage track recreations (from videos / pictures) and / or vintage style fantasy tracks perhaps based on real world tracks / locations

Of course there's no reason an idea like that could be limited to just vintage cars either, expansion packs could be made with tracks / cars for just about any other group of cars or racing series but that's really for another thread :).

Agreed, I'm just saying you won't see this as a standalone title. Whether it would be profitable would remain to be seen, but I'd buy it for sure. The option to go black and white and jerky with the replay would be great too...lol...imagine!!

I would rather have 70's - 90's normal cars (from citi cars to luxury sedans) than these old and slow cars with BAD handling, but some are very nice. But boring to race them.

Every Merc/Auto Union silver arrow from the 30s would humilate your 70s-90s "normal" cars on race track. Only hypercars like the McLaren F1 could challenge them (but not over long race distances).

Btw, a vintage expansion/DLC would be awesome! But its very unlikely, each DLC we got so far included atleast one Nissan car and other cars (E30...) are more popular :(
Also, no vintage cars without vintage tracks!

1927%20%D6V4%20First%20Volvo.jpg

Why not add a number of normal cars from that era aswell. Like this Volvo ÖV (or Jakob as it is called). Having around 20 different cars from that era that is competitive could make for some slow and awesome racing!

Also, no vintage cars without vintage tracks!

Sorry but I don't get that last part, people still race vintage cars on current tracks in real life and that's enough for me (the more tracks the better ofcourse but they're absolutely not mutually exclusive).
I don't necessarily want to evoke 20's and 30's racing in all its aspects as it was then, but foremost having the sort of real life current vintage car racing available in GT (like in some of the clips I posted in this thread).

In fact, if the course creator is indeed significantly improved and includes new features such as GPS mapping, it could lead to recreations of long gone real life tracks, we can't however model new cars by ourselves.
So for me it isn't all or nothing, a small selection of pre war cars (either race/road or both) would already be enough right now since I fear we won't be getting any of them anytime soon as it currently stands.
Unless Kaz suddenly has a 'Road to Damascus' experience or gets enthused/inspired by them on the spur of the moment or finally realizes his car encyclopedia is missing the enormous first part.

Daimler Double Six 50 Sport Corsica Drophead Coupe '31
1931%2BDaimler%2BDouble-Six%2B50%2BCorsica%2BDrophead%2BCoupe.jpg

Is a beautiful car!

I would like to see this car:

Lancia Lambda, the first car with a monocoque chassis
lancia_lambda_FIAT_1922_02.jpg

I would also like to see the bubble cars like the BMW Isetta, messersmith goggomobil and the Peel P50 and Trident. Also the first cars from japanese manufacturers.

Any car with rear wheel steering is a suicide-mobile!

I wonder how effective that propeller car was, surely it must be a more effective use of fuel to have the engine drive the wheels than a propeller?

And the Dymaxion looks awesome!

Just googled Dymaxion, the artist behind the concept also made a really cool world map projection, called the "Dymaxion World". That fact alone is enough to make me want that car :D

I suspect the guys that built the Leyat Helica just wanted an airplane for the road more than anything, :lol: It was the "Roaring '20s" too, many people were drugged and drunk out of their minds, :lol: Not to mention the traumatized WW1 veterans, and people buying stocks on margin. Quite a crazy era. The cars from that time kind of reflect that really, :D

If they'd for example included a '29 Ford like this.

1929-ford-modela-roadster.jpg

And you could do this to it in GT Auto.

1006sr_09_o+1929_ford_model_a+28_model_b_four_banger.jpg

Or something like this (RM).

1929-ford-model-a-roadster.jpg

Could be fun for a lot of people for all sorts of reasons, couldn't it?

I would like to go back a bit further, if for just this one car...

http://www.carsandracingstuff.com/library/w/wasp01.jpg

Ray Harroun's inaugural, 1911 Indianapolis 500 winning, Marmom "Wasp". At least I think many in the States would find it interesting. And it's almost always casually sitting in the museum at the speedway. Easy access. :D

An interesting suggestion. 👍

Another famous American car from that era, the Locomobile "Old Number 16"

PH1-B.jpg

The first American car to win an international automobile race, the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup. Locomobiles were some of the most expensive and well-built cars in the US at the time, it was said that their cars had the strength of a locomotive. Hence the name. With a 16 liter inline 4 engine producing 90hp, this particular car was capable of 110mph, which seems a little scary in something as ancient as this. :lol:

Also wouldn't mind fully custom hot rods in the game. :D

I couldn't agree more with this thread. Having been fortunately to witness a huge grid (30+) of cars fro the HGPCA at Donington Park a month ago today, I'd love to be able to take some of those cars out round tracks.

If there's one photo that will convert anyone who views it into not thinking that cars from this era are slow and boring, this must be it:

gallery_8585_30_3744.jpg

This photo was taken at Donington in 1937.

I'd also love some Alfa Romeos too, especially from the early Scuderia Ferrari days.

5384955538_a1578ab3a7_z.jpg

And it seems almost a travesty that no-one has yet mentioned this particular car:

p500_1.jpg

The Napier-Railton, powered by a 24 litre, W12 Napier Lion aero engine. Capable of 168mph in a straight line and 143mph round Brooklands in 1935. Whilst regularly leaving the ground...

brooklands_1447436c.jpg

And to finish with, a personal favourite of mine, the 1932 Frazer-Nash Nurburg.

5046914803_54ba11d04f.jpg

C'mon PD, give us some real history and heritage!

Keep the pics coming guys. The more I see of these cars the more I want them in GT6!!!

How about a few vintage circuits too?

Working from photograhs and GIS data, with a healthy amount of artistic license, they could be brought back!

Reims!
Reims+1956.jpg

Old Spa!
Circuit_spa_old.png

Monza!
monza3.png

Rouen!
rouenlesessarts.jpg

Now these are all 1950s grand prix circuits, so you'd have to dig even deeper for truly vintage stuff. Perhaps the Targa Florio or Mille Miglia. That would be a lot of work though. :)

How about a few vintage circuits too?

Working from photograhs and GIS data, with a healthy amount of artistic license, they could be brought back!

Reims!

Old Spa!

Monza!

Rouen!

Now these are all 1950s grand prix circuits, so you'd have to dig even deeper for truly vintage stuff. Perhaps the Targa Florio or Mille Miglia. That would be a lot of work though. :)

👍

Reims had a 1930s layout too, with a sharp corner in the village of Gueux. The village was bypassed in the mid 1950s to make the circuit even faster than it was. :lol:

Here's some more 1930s era tracks:

Pescara
trk_pescara.jpg

306078_514176551939475_467645600_n.jpg

Pau street circuit (Pau Grand Prix still exists today)
trk_pau.jpg

Masaryk Ring, Brno
trk_brno.jpg

Could be included with the modern Brno Circuit, also an excellent track

AVUS, with the 43 degrees banked curve of doom
55-audi-100-motorsport.jpg

Mellaha Lake, Tripoli
mercedes-benz-tripoli.jpg

Among others, like Donington Park, Brooklands, Bremgarten, etc. Monza, Spa, and Nurburgring Nordschleife also have 1930s layouts that are a bit different.

My expectations for seeing any of those tracks are a bit low, and we don't necessarily need them for older cars, but it would be awesome if they included a select few.

Seems Kaz can be excited/enthused by them after all.

LAMBO+MIURA+5.BMP

He's certainly aware they exist for quite a while now (bring out the scanning equipment instead of a piece of paper next time please). ;)

2dv0c45.jpg

That's why it's six months per car!

If the GPS feature turns out how we hope, I'm sure it won't be long before vintage circuits are captured.

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=1937%20F1%20mod
A lot of the vintage tracks are also available. Problem is these cars are extremely difficult to drive. They are heavy, powerful cars with nearly nonexistent brakes, stone ax suspensions, and rubber band steering. Fun to try and drive, but hard to complete a lap much less a race.

Which is the whole reason why people want them in GT6, I suspect. Its the reason I want them at least, :lol:

I loved the challenge of driving older cars in sims ever since I first played Grand Prix Legends, and that game featured late 1960s F1 cars and tracks. To say that the learning curve was steep would be an understatement, but once you figured what you needed to do to drive them, it all became clear. Subtle and constant steering inputs. Smooth and slow application of the throttle. Using a bit of trailbraking and late downshifts to keep the car stable in corner entry. If the Auto Union C Streamliner from GT4 is anything to go by, even more caution needs to be exercised with pre-war cars. :lol:

All easier said than done, but very rewarding when you drive clean laps. People like to drive difficult circuits because they are a challenge to master, and it's no different with cars. There is perhaps no greater challenge than driving an Auto Union C open wheeler, with it's mid-engined layout, bicycle tires, drum brakes, primitive suspension and 550hp.

Plus, it sounded like a monster.

Skip to 1:30. If PD got anywhere close to capturing that iconic V16 engine's sound, I would cry with happiness. :lol:

Back