What are you Eating/Drinking?

• Thread starter Super-Supra
  • 22,743 comments
@kikie That cookie looks (and sounds) delicious.

So I did a thing today:

View attachment 892214

Now, before you rightfully crucify me, know some things:

• This was literally the first time I pan-seared a steak so I wasn't expecting it to come out perfect to begin with.
    • Yes, I'm still sad that it didn't.
    • I seared each side for three minutes for four complete rotations (this is where I screwed the pooch)
    • I used butter at the end, like you should (correct me if that's wrong!)
    • I didn't know what side I wanted, and seeing as I didn't have broccoli on hand, I decided on mac and cheese. :lol:
    • I let it sit for 10 minutes
    • What doneness did I want? Medium-rare to medium.
Give me tips! Next time I do this, I want it to be even better.
Ok, since you asked to be corrected, let me do so.
When pan searing load up your butter in a pan, and let it melt and start to get hot. Add minced garlic to taste (if you prefer) take your steak, seasoned to taste (if you prefer) and toss it into the hot butter. Be careful for splash. Oil burns really suck. Now mind you, you want a lot of butter. I typically use just shy of half a stick. Let it cook, medium heat, about 4 minutes each side. Flip only once. While each side is cooking, baste the exposed side with the pool of hot butter in the pan.

Ok, since you asked to be corrected, let me do so.
When pan searing load up your butter in a pan, and let it melt and start to get hot. Add minced garlic to taste (if you prefer) take your steak, seasoned to taste (if you prefer) and toss it into the hot butter. Be careful for splash. Oil burns really suck. Now mind you, you want a lot of butter. I typically use just shy of half a stick. Let it cook, medium heat, about 4 minutes each side. Flip only once. While each side is cooking, baste the exposed side with the pool of hot butter in the pan.

So here's what I did:

I let the steak come up to room temperature for about an hour, seasoned it with salt and pepper, and then coated it with vegetable oil (filled the shallow cap and drizzled it over and rubbed it in) and then threw it into the pan over medium-high heat. Should I toss the veggie oil next time and just use butter or keep doing that and use the butter much sooner?

Cook it less. :D

CD7F3135-4C81-4A82-8691-24885A88FFDE.jpeg

B08C2608-E880-4940-A264-C12F88DAD0DC.jpeg

So here's what I did:

I let the steak come up to room temperature for about an hour, seasoned it with salt and pepper, and then coated it with vegetable oil (filled the shallow cap and drizzled it over and rubbed it in) and then threw it into the pan over medium-high heat. Should I toss the veggie oil next time and just use butter or keep doing that and use the butter much sooner?
Oil on the steak to cut down on the smoke? If smoke can be tolerated/managed, I'd suggest getting the oil hot and laying the steak into it to get a better sear because oil on the meat needs to heat up before the searing takes place. It doesn't take so much oil that you'd end up splattering, but lay it away from you regardless. Of course I get it if smoke is an issue, but I'd still start with it in the pan and simply not get it quite so hot; you'll still have better results.

While letting the meat warm up is usually advisable, a piece of meat as thin as that appeared to be can be left cold and that will prevent it from cooking through while you sear, sort of a buffer to prevent overcooking.

Butter basting a piece of meat is pretty fantastic, but consider that it's still cooking while you do it and may result in overcooking, especially if the meat is on the thinner side. Maybe try a simple pan sauce while the meat's resting instead.

Also remember that meat's internal temperature continues to rise after you take it out of the pan and that means additional cooking. Instead of relying on time, go by touch. If you touch your middle finger to your thumb on one hand and poke the ball of your thumb, you'll get an idea of what medium-rare feels like in a steak.

Finally, unless you're getting fancy with your plating by slicing the meat and fanning it out before drizzling a pan sauce over it, if at all possible, keep it in a single portion and cut as you eat. No matter how it's cooked, cutting it up before eating just dries the meat out faster. I get it if it was out of necessity, and a pan sauce will help here too, but you don't need fancy cutlery; a cheap paring knife will work in a pinch if you don't have a steak knife.

Hnnnnngg...that sounds good. [Edit: Just saw coconut in the ingredients. Nevermind.]

Dinner was Thai takeout; I got my usual drunken noodle with pork. I also experimented with a cocktail that I've finished whilst composing this lengthy post.

Can-Cran Collins:

2 ounces Forty Creek Canadian whisky
3/4 ounce Som Cranberry Cordial vinegar
2 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters No. 6
Topped with club soda and stirred gently
Garnished with a couple mint leaves

I used a Collins glass and a Collins cube (because of course I have a mold to make them; a purchase met with a deep eye roll from the missus).

@TexRex That explains why it wasn't as juicy after I cut it up. :lol:

I did it less to be fancy and more of the ease to eat. I'll just cut as I eat next time.

Yesterday I had homemade curry sauce and it was strangely enough very good, the sauce I mean. It was the very first time in my life that I made curry sauce using Indian curry.

Combined the curry sauce with whole grain rice, Turkey filet, mushrooms, 1 steamed carrot and steamed garlic.
As a soup, I had homemade asperges soup.

I still have to do the dishes :guilty: :yuck:

I had the Popeye's chicken sandwich today, It was okay but not really the greatest chicken sandwich I've ever had.

The last few weeks I’ve been cooking dinners at home, which means a quarter pound of 20/80 beef slapped into a patty and grilled for 5 minutes each side. Cheese to accompany and a toasted whole wheat bun to ferry it to my mouth.

Have to say, despite omitting any veg, I’m feeling really energetic, and it’s only the rice lunch I have (carbs) that make me sleepy.

Of course all burger meals are coupled with beer.

Not much, I have so much stress the last few days that I don't have an appetite at all. I feel hunger but I don't feel like eating.
I blame it all on the anxiety of which I'm suffering again since Friday evening.

I had some bread with jam, a few, yes a few nuts, not even a handful :P, with a few raisins to make the nuts taste better and vegetable soup.

It was in the mid 50's today so I brought the smoker back out to make some ribs.

Coated them in Tabasco mustard and some Devil's Spit rub. For the final hour or so I wrapped them in foil with a mix of butter, honey and brown sugar to balance out the heat. Worked very well.

Also some grocery store deli cole slaw.

There was some people raving about Vernors in another thread so I decided to try some since it’s available in my area.

It’s rather good.

I had the Popeye's chicken sandwich today, It was okay but not really the greatest chicken sandwich I've ever had.

I recently had the Popeye's chicken sandwich, and it is pretty good; I think I prefer Popeye's chicken to Chick-fil-a while in sandwich form.

I think my ideal sandwich though would be to combine Popeye's chicken with the Chick-fil-a breakfast biscuit. And I'm getting a heart attack just thinking about that.

Back