What games are you playing now?

• Thread starter F1 fan
  • 6,117 comments
Finished Obra Dinn, still an excellent game all round even though I knew what to expect.

Moved straight on to GT7 Spec II, I'm playing on PS4 (Pro) so I don't get to use Sophy and the AI remains the biggest issue with the gameplay, but I realised last night that quick race payout varies with the car you use so I tried my very modified Copen on a hard race on Tsukuba, 70k credits for four laps (I'm collector level 42) of my favourite track in a fun car is a great deal. When I started the day before yesterday I had less than 100k and by the end of my session yesterday I'd bought the 1.8M Nismo 400R and the three trackday cars for that extra menu (X-Bow, Radical and BAC Mono) so probably made a bit over 2.5 million all told, I did so without doing the same race twice and without doing any circuit experience.

I think I'll take a break until the weekly events reset and get on with the reason I turned my PS4 on in the first place: Ghost of Tsushima.

Last edited:
After 17 years, I have FINALLY made my way back to Need for Speed Underground and I’m going to continue what 12 year old me started long ago. Not sure why I haven’t done it until now, but better late than never! 😎
IMG_1930.jpeg

Last edited:
I tried out "Cities: Skylines 2" yesterday. The game seriously needs to be optimized, but the potential of this game I think will be magnanimous. I find it hard to see if my power lines or pipes are connected at times. I am going to be a bit fearful of performance if and when I build a bustling city in this game. For now, I'm okay with the about 27 citizens to my new city.

I returned to Automation: The Real Car Tycoon recently. I think I'm playing on the Ellisbury Beta version. The game runs better on my newer PC than my previous one. When I tried to run a non-Beta Automation, the game crashed. Automation still makes you think about every conceivable element of your car. I'd recommend Automation to anyone who has dreamed of building one's own car. However, be ready to actually think about all elements ranging from the chassis to the engine and all of the internals. Plus, you can drive (or crash) your Automation creation when exported to "BeamNG: Drive." So go for Automation if intrigued!

[UPDATE] It's "Ellisbury," not "Ellsbury."

Last edited:
After 18 years, I have FINALLY made my way back to Need for Speed Underground and I’m going to continue what 12 year old me started long ago. Not sure why I haven’t done it until now, but better late than never! 😎
View attachment 1301916
Good luck and have fun with it. One of my favourite racing games but be prepared for the (at times) absolutely soul crashing rubberband AI and deliberately well-timed traffic that gets in your way.

Unlike a ton of folks I've spoken with, I'm playing through Starfield, and enjoying every minute of it.

The gunfights, exploring planets' POIs, scanning plants animals and resources, fighting enemy ships.

It's really just like "Fallout in space", as I have heard some say..

The immersion is insane, and makes me wish this game could be played in VR.

Some folks complain about the method of traveling but believe me, with the scale of everything, you wouldn't want to travel by ship everywhere. It would take far too long.

After 18 years, I have FINALLY made my way back to Need for Speed Underground and I’m going to continue what 12 year old me started long ago. Not sure why I haven’t done it until now, but better late than never! 😎
View attachment 1301916
I got started on this a couple months back, on PCSX2.

It still feels just a cool as the first time I played it.

Simple formula that they could successfully follow even in today'sworld of gaming.

The Dead Space remake (EA Play) in Series X and PC. It is a quite good-looking game in an OLED screen although the brightness adjustments are bad, just go with your eyes. It is a very decent performer in my PC (medium settings). The best parts are the set pieces that use all gameplay elements: combat, zero gravity, oxygen management, stasis/pulling-pushing objects. The elevators are rather clever loading screens, but the transitions from cutscenes to gameplay are seamless and effective. My only real complaint is the poor design of item management, specially in the middle of combat.

Last edited:
MXH
Good luck and have fun with it. One of my favourite racing games but be prepared for the (at times) absolutely soul crashing rubberband AI and deliberately well-timed traffic that gets in your way.
Yea upon doing some races, it did not take me long to notice these things. :lol:
I got started on this a couple months back, on PCSX2.

It still feels just a cool as the first time I played it.

Simple formula that they could successfully follow even in today'sworld of gaming.
Yeah, it was a good game when I first got it back in 2006 and even now, it still is! I must admit though, I am a little pessimistic about what it'll be like near the end, but I won't know until I get there. 😎

I said it had been 18 years in my original edit, but it's actually been 17 years since I went back to it again. I played it for a brief time in mid-2006 and had fun, but I ended up abandoning it since I had gotten GT4 and UG2 earlier and was more interested in them. To be completely honest, I have gone into the game a handful of times in recent years to look at a few things (like the tracklist for instance), but as far as actually doing some races and spending quality time in the game goes, last night was the first time I had done it again since.

Last edited:
I have now completed every quest and side missions apart from the final mission in Cyberpunk so finally getting around to playing GT7 with its spec 2 update.

Really don't want Cyberpunk to end, didn't know what to expect and have been blown away by it, what a game.

Next I will either move onto SpiderMan 2 if I can find it for cheap enough or jump into the Phantom Liberty DLC for Cyberpunk.

I thought I'd stop with GT7 but I haven't, just did the Clubman + race on SSRX which was quite fun, it's the GT4 slipstream driving mission again except you can use a super fast car and not need to slipstream to win...

Away from my PS4, though, I've been playing Journey. It's fine. I can see why it was a big deal at the time but less so now.

I'm still enjoying GT7; the new update was awesome.

I've also started playing Honkai Star Rail .... which may have been a mistake...

I seem to be having a dry spell with racing games lately, so I've been playing games on the backlog. Namely, Lords of the Fallen (the 2014 one).

It's a dumb game for sure. I found it funny how the game constantly reminds me that our protagonist is a sinner - everyone he meets make a point of how repulsed or terrified they are of our protagonist, he's got tattoo for the sins he committed, and him being a sinner even becomes a pivotal plot point later - but game never tells me what kind of sin he actually committed. I'm thinking public urination. I'd be pretty repulsed and terrified of people who urinate in public too.

But it's dumb in a fun way. It's not a large game, and it was over in a flash once I realized how broken Flawless Luck Rune is, but it never overstays its welcome. Most areas are pretty much accessible from the get-go as well, which meant I could abuse it to get ridiculously ahead of the difficulty curve once I knew where to look. It just sets players loose and tell them to go nuts. As I said, dumb in a fun way.

At the end of the day, I got to wear armors with outrageously large shoulder pads (seriously, he'd probably smash his head like a watermelon if he tried to do a jumping jack in one of those) and pancake everything with giant axe with one hit. It's nowhere near From Software's output for sure, but it was good enough for me.

Alien: Fireteam Elite is one of this month's Playstation Plus free games so thought i'd give it a try. It clicks all the Aliens fan tick boxes from the xenomorph noises and swarm movements to the distinctive sounds of the marines weapons. It's got loads of potential upgrades and loadout choices plus all the different roles you can play in your 'teams' but at it's heart its a third-person shooter, if you like that sort of thing. I've only tried it once so far, but was surprised that you are just thrust straight into the action and put into a team of three - the other two being random onliners - and thrown into the deep end without having chance to even figure out the controls. I died twice on that first what i imagine to be relatively easy mission as i couldn't figure out how to use health packs, which no doubt annoyed the hell out of my two experienced team mates who had to stop to revive me each time. Being online you can't just pause the action and check your button allocations in the menus! Once that mission is over you are sent back to your 'base' which is the UAS Endeavor - similar to the marines ship in the film Aliens. You can explore it, talk to NCPs, do weapon upgrades etc, but there doesn't appear to be any training missions or even a firing range to try out the different weapons/loadouts and just familiarise yourself with the basic controls!

I'll probably give it another whirl but i can't see it staying long using up space in my storage.

Alien: Fireteam Elite is one of this month's Playstation Plus free games so thought i'd give it a try. It clicks all the Aliens fan tick boxes from the xenomorph noises and swarm movements to the distinctive sounds of the marines weapons. It's got loads of potential upgrades and loadout choices plus all the different roles you can play in your 'teams' but at it's heart its a third-person shooter, if you like that sort of thing. I've only tried it once so far, but was surprised that you are just thrust straight into the action and put into a team of three - the other two being random onliners - and thrown into the deep end without having chance to even figure out the controls. I died twice on that first what i imagine to be relatively easy mission as i couldn't figure out how to use health packs, which no doubt annoyed the hell out of my two experienced team mates who had to stop to revive me each time. Being online you can't just pause the action and check your button allocations in the menus! Once that mission is over you are sent back to your 'base' which is the UAS Endeavor - similar to the marines ship in the film Aliens. You can explore it, talk to NCPs, do weapon upgrades etc, but there doesn't appear to be any training missions or even a firing range to try out the different weapons/loadouts and just familiarise yourself with the basic controls!

I'll probably give it another whirl but i can't see it staying long using up space in my storage.
But there's single-player in this no?
You can get familiar with it in that mode.
Seems a cheap fun game, waiting for a really low price, im more looking forward trying aliens dark descent, seems a little more interesting and tactical, and well made.

Seems a cheap fun game, waiting for a really low price, im more looking forward trying aliens dark descent, seems a little more interesting and tactical, and well made.
Fireteam Elite can be played offline single player, yes but oddly you can't pause the game even offline which is my only real gripe with the game. I am a gigantic Alien(s) fan so Fireteam Elite was a darn good game in my opinion but seemed overlooked by a lot of people. It is kinda like Left 4 Dead style, with loads of replay value with friends set in the Aliens universe so it was perfect for me.

I tried Dark Decent but it isn't my type of game. I've always been bad at tactical strategy games...

Anyways, currently playing Alan Wake 2, Talos Principle 2, EA WRC, and back into GT7 a bit. Waiting patiently for Forza to update, otherwise not playing that one so much

Last edited:
So I am finally done with my first DS2 SOTFS run. Some of these areas, man... glad its over.
DARK SOULS™ II_ Scholar of the First Sin_20231111184139.jpg
DARK SOULS™ II_ Scholar of the First Sin_20231111185513.jpg

I changed the helmet before I quit out -- must have been the longest 32 hours of a game I ever played...

So currently...

Patapon 2 (Highest Priority)
COD MW2 (w/ Friends)
Pure Pool (Cooldown Game)
Dead Island 2
Gran Turismo 7
TES IV: Oblivion (Lowest Priority)

I got to collector level 50 in GT7, I managed to leapfrog more than one full level because of a Veneno I got from a daily marathon ticket and then spending 4.5 million on a Porsche did the rest. The more I play of the game the more I realise I'll never finish it (if the campaign is going to require me to drive the Red Bull X-whatevers I'm just not even going to try) so the less motivated I am to keep going, so I might dip in to do some of the weekly events and to make some fun cars but I don't think I'll spend much time progressing the career from now on.

I finished Journey, met no fellow travellers so it was quite empty and underwhelming, and have since moved on to Unmetal which I'm on the fence about - gameplay is OK, the parody jokes are sometimes funny, sometimes not. I think I'm halfway through so will keep going.

Edit: OK, I was wrong, Unmetal is actually great. I had assumed it would follow the gameplay established by the opening level and get boring quickly but it doesn't, and the "unreliable narrator" with multiple choice thing is great if you die often enough to go back and try a different answer, and it'll also quite often trick you - like one boss where the narrator describes a boss and they're asked how many, um, attacks it has, and you can choose between 2, 4 and 6, so of course you'd choose two but then the narrator says "Two... Dozen!" - or will deliberately not let you answer a question correctly if you haven't found out the information beforehand.

Last edited:
Did you buy that for a dollar?
A bit more, but not much! :P
Kind of: private session with bots. But it's technically still 'online' so no pausing for you. It's a really fun and easy to get into game, but a bit grindy. Note that the latest patch upgraded the bot AI so they are viable at higher difficulties, contrary to the descriptions in game (they didnt update those I guess).

It's small in terms of content (though A LOT more than launch), but it all works well and it's stable.

I am a gigantic Alien(s) fan so Fireteam Elite was a darn good game in my opinion but seemed overlooked by a lot of people.
That's a recurring theme with 80s licensed games, such as Terminator and RoboCop. There are some gems in there but mainstream media/youtubers/streamers seem to not like it. Too hard/not enough catering for casuals?

Last edited:
A bit more, but not much! :P

Kind of: private session with bots. But it's technically still 'online' so no pausing for you. It's a really fun and easy to get into game, but a bit grindy. Note that the latest patch upgraded the bot AI so they are viable at higher difficulties, contrary to the descriptions in game (they didnt update those I guess).

It's small in terms of content (though A LOT more than launch), but it all works well and it's stable.

That's a recurring theme with 80s licensed games, such as Terminator and RoboCop. There are some gems in there but mainstream media/youtubers/streamers seem to not like it. Too hard/not enough catering for casuals?
I see, thanks for info.
Maybe it's worth getting the full edition, if it adds content that is usable in singleplayer.

I see, thanks for info.
Maybe it's worth getting the full edition, if it adds content that is usable in singleplayer.
I'd say the Pathogen expansion is worth it as it adds new story content (maps/campaign). I think the rest is already in the base version and the other DLC is just cosmetic. Ignore the bad reviews, that's just people that were pissed the expansion was not included in the Deluxe Edition at launch and it was only added to a new (paid) Ultimate Edition. Doesn't mean the content is bad, it's actually quite good. And playable solo of course.

Finished Unmetal, didn't like the final boss at all but I'll admit they captured some of that Metal Gear boss fight magic with it, they just squandered it.

As usual I'm not sure what to play next, I'm getting ill (my partner and son got it before me so I'm seeing about four days into my future when I look at them, it's pretty grim) so don't want to get stuck into something big because odds are I won't play it much and will forget everything. Maybe Teardown? We'll see.

To close the year, I'm doing a run of older games, now in PC:
I finished Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order for the third time (One X-Series X-PC), always on EA Play/Game Pass. For me it's like revisiting a favorite SW movie or show and is one of my top games of all time. Now I will be ready for whenever SWJ: Survivor pops in EA play, most likely, next year.

I bought the Arkham collection from Steam, mostly to tackle again Arkham Knight without its console limitations. So, I started again with Arkham Asylum, which is also one of my top games ever.

I'm also playing Gears of War Ultimate Edition (PC-Game Pass), another favorite that feels better at higher fps/hard difficulty than on the consoles.

Lastly, I've launched my umpteenth attempt to finish Skyrim!

I'm usually out of step with the year's launches, so I end up playing them one-two years after, when they either hit GP or are on sale. And to be honest, most of the 2023 games that I have played have ranged to quite good (Everspace 2-Dead Space remake) to mildly disappointing (The Crew: Motorfest-Forza Motorsport), just not for me (Starfield-Lies of P-Jusant-lots of indie games) or not interested at all (Baldur's Gate III-Diablo IV-whatever Call of Duty they launch-Redfall-Sea of Stars, etc.)

Last edited:
Weird West. Another PS Plus free monthly i thought i'd give a go. Seems stupid to pay all that and only use it to play games online.

Practically a 3D top-down adventure/shooter, like the early GTAs or Fallouts. It's also semi-open world in that you can explore anywhere you like as long as you've discovered it. You travel to 'areas' rather than having a whole landscape to roam around in, a bit like Jedi Fallen Order i guess. It has plenty of familiar open world eliments like perk-trees, a reputation system and junk to find/buy/sell/upgrade with etc. The story is quite compelling - wild west with a supernatural eliment to it, you play five seperate characters, one after the other, with a linked plotline that weaves each charcter's story together. There's plenty of Red Dead Redemption overlap (it would be quite similar to Undead Nightmare had it been made as a third-person game) with complex NPCs that can steer you one way or the other plus the ability to hire them for your posse. You can also achieve winning results by doing whole missions by sneaking around too if you prefer that style of play. There are stacks of big budget sandbox/open world adventures out there to compete with, but as this is a 3D top-down it stands up well as something a bit different, especially with it's simple animation/comic book style graphics.

Back