What have you done to your car today?

What's needed for you to achieve those figures?

Anyway keeping on topic, bought a genuine filter yesterday and some oil (Castrol Edge 10W60) and changed my oil today. Also ordered a new water pump from Toyota as mine has a minor leak. Has to come from Japan though (I was quite surprised at them not stocking such a common maintenance item like that) so its still a couple of weeks away.

Last weekend my friend and I changed one of the outer CV boots as it had a small split and was throwing grease all over my nice shiny rims (nooooo!!)
What a pain, couldn't dislodge the outer joint so had to pull the shaft out and take the inner joint off and install the boot from that end - all went to plan until the bearings spilt from the joint while we reinstalling the spline.

We had to clean the joint completely, reinstall the bearings and slide the centre section down in to the housing, repack it with grease and then reinstall the spline. In the end a simple 30 min task became a couple of hours. :grumpy:

Took it through the touchless since it will probably spend most of my Christmas break sitting in the driveway. :indiff:

What would you guys think of the quality of wheel spacers from shops like O'Reiley? Just until I get wheels probably in the summer.
You can't really screw up an aluminum plate with holes in it.

Keef, when in comes to bolt in spacers there are bad ones around. Seen examples of the lugs not being pressed in properly etc.

Keef, when in comes to bolt in spacers there are bad ones around. Seen examples of the lugs not being pressed in properly etc.

Since he's only going 5-10 mm its not a big problem, and he could probably cheap out since its so small. If he was going 10+ and installing new studs, then I would consider looking into something thats a little better quality since any defects would have a greater effect.

Although if you are only going 5mm, I'd suggest looking at this site. It might make you think about going a little bigger or not bothering to do it at all.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/8494-5mm-spacers-long-with-pics/

Porsche sells wheel spacers, eh? I bet you can count the number of manufacturers that do that on one hand.

Punknoodle: what's needed? In order to get what "I" want out of my car, either a bit of all-motor for low 200s, or - what I'm going to attempt first - a supercharger for mid 200s. Turbo would be easy, but I'm not a fan.

TmpFile_2.jpg

+
This header
4177025740_d6aa366d2a.jpg

Only one guy's known to have done this s/c in an Accord (H23A VTEC), and I want to be #2. You can see how tight a fit that is, but I'm willing to keep sacrificing powersteering if necessary, and I've already looked into solutions to the supposed big clearance problem spots.

... sorry for off-topicness.

Now I'm going to get some gas and check out my mileage with half a tank's worth of highway driving and being chased through a canyon by an MX-5.

Tonight was an early 5th-gen Mustang V6. He obviously had the torque advantage off the line, but from a roll we were even. I'm pretty content right now. A four cylinder. With a slushbox and bare minimum bolt-ons. Damn, I love this engine. :D

... yeah, yeah, "stupid Honda kid." I know.

Wait. So what you're saying is you did all that work and you still can't outrun a v6 mustang?

I'll just be nice and say it's maybe because the car is automatic. Why aren't/haven't you swapping it yet?

"All that work"?! It's a nearly stock 2.2L with V6 power! I am not disappointed in the least. I'm saving up to swap my automatic sedan for a manual coupe now, and hope to find the right model I'm looking for in the summer. As it's my 'definitive' project car, I'm being kinda picky and won't settle for any compromise in trim level specs. You just don't understand the overall picture I'm going for.

It's like if I got an NSX, or even an MX-5. They're perfect as-is in my eyes, they do what they're intended to do extremely well and without any excess. I'm just trying to do that with a custom FWD... something of that Miata class of sports car that I can call my own. Power doesn't mean a damn thing, it's all about my enjoyment in driving the car no matter the setting. Too much power ruins it all.

Got 27mpg, btw. Mix of highway (~90mph), canyon carving, and somewhat aggressive city driving. 355 miles total in three days.

Last edited:
A V6 SN95 doesn't have "power"... A bone stock 4th gen Prelude will outrun one with ease, and it weighs about the same as your Accord... clearly something's wrong.

Hanging with a 4.6 GT, maybe... but with a V6? :dunce:

Yeah, my automatic with its Accord gearing is what's wrong, hence why I'm swapping (gimme time, damn, lol!). I hear the manuals with a good tranny do give the 4.6 a run for its money.

Not today, but a week ago, I put a drift cat decal on the rear window of the 3kGT. That's all I have really done to any car lately.

I resprayed my wiper arms today. The black had faded on both of them and you could see the metal. They're back to their matte black glory now.
If only it was as easy to fix the problems with the rest of the paint work.

66b2649e.jpg

So, at it again last night. Removed the intercooler and throttle body to get to the Cold Start Injector. Removed this, and made a template that copies the plate that bolts to the manifold.

55e5e36f.jpg

The plate I'm making is the same shape obviously to bolt to the manifold but instead of the injector it has a hole in the same place with a nut braised on top of it. The new Intake Air Temp sensor then goes in to the nut. Viola, perfect location to take air temp for the new computer, as the cold start injector will be redundant then.

6d5da1ec.jpg

Do those engines normally have cold start problems right out of the factory? I've never seen one of those injectors before, so I'm curious. I'm actually considering an older Celica for a future project, and knowledge is power...

My throttle cable started sticking today, so I've got that out. Excersized it a bit then it seemed to be fine again, no signs of where it could be catching. I srayed some WD40 in there, but I'll keep an eye on it. A connector on my battery's chassis ground also let go, so I'm making a new one.

They are pretty common on older fuel injection systems, you may have seen them called a fifth injector, or cold start valve. Basically just adds more fuel in to the air stream when first starting cold.

On newer ECUs and after market ECUs they just perform this task with normal injectors.

Wiped egg off of it. :irked:

This is the second night in a row that some idiots have egged my car. I assumed that the first one might have just been some random (probably drunken) vandalism, but I guess I was wrong.

I used some vinegar and water to neutralize the egg and reduce the damage to the paint, but they were thrown hard enough to actually leave some cracks in the paint where they impacted.

I'm going to stay up tonight in a hiding place with a camera (and perhaps a rifle) to see if I can catch the morons.

Wiped egg off of it. :irked:

This is the second night in a row that some idiots have egged my car. I assumed that the first one might have just been some random (probably drunken) vandalism, but I guess I was wrong.

I used some vinegar and water to neutralize the egg and reduce the damage to the paint, but they were thrown hard enough to actually leave some cracks in the paint where they impacted.

I'm going to stay up tonight in a hiding place with a camera (and perhaps a rifle) to see if I can catch the morons.

Paintballs may be effective. Maybe freeze a few of them.

Eric.
Paintballs may be effective. Maybe freeze a few of them.

Nah, I don't have a paintball gun. Besides, my goal is to have them deal with the police and it looks best when you don't give the vandals any "street justice."

casey_2005
How about hiding in your car? Chase the punks down.

That's a serious consideration.

What's the worst that could happen if I used Aircraft Remover in the garage while it's cold and snowy outside, when the can says to use it at 70-90F? I figure since I hate driving in the snow and am perfectly okay with walking anywhere I need to go, I could take advantage of the situation and get going shaving the ugly lettering off my valve cover.

Definitely. I'm more worried about whether the temperature will actually work against me in any way. I've never used this kind of stuff before.

Back