What have you done to your car today?

Yes I buy those when I can but they were out of the ones I wanted. They had the 10W40 but not the high mileage which is what I use. The price for the 5 quarts in 1 can is $40, $9x5 individual quarts is $45 so the savings are not worth driving to another store.

Yes I buy those when I can but they were out of the ones I wanted. They had the 10W40 but not the high mileage which is what I use. The price for the 5 quarts in 1 can is $40, $9x5 individual quarts is $45 so the savings are not worth driving to another store.
How far is the nearest store you're not willing to save a third!?

LOL we are really delving into this aren't we :lol:

If we must go into it, if I wanted to save money I would be buying Royal Purple oil with a Purolator filter for both cars. If my first post was somehow read as me making a big deal about the cost, I apologize. It's just that I remember when oil was less than $4 a quart 10 years ago. I bought Mobil 1 Oil and Filters, mainly because I support the brand and have since I've been driving.

Now, as far as buying in bulk is concerned, my maximum savings would have been $40. That's two 5 quart containers, 1 for each weight, at a savings of $20 each instead of buying individually. Someone mentioned Wal-mart sells Mobil 1 5qt for $25. After a quick search they actually do so next time I'll buy it there. Why O'Reilly's is $39.99 I have no idea.

Other than being about 3 miles closer to my house, O'Reilly's is more convenient than WalMart any day. Easier to park, no screaming babies, no near death experiences in the parking lot, no hugely obese people so big you have to wait for them to leave the aisle before both of you can browse comfortably, etc.

EDIT: Since you are from the U.K., you only need to visit peopleofwalmart.com to see what I am talking about.

How far is the nearest store you're not willing to save a third!?

Since when is 5 dollars off of 45 dollars a third? Check your math. Its really 1/9th. 45 dollars for five individual quarts or 40 dollars for A 5 quart jug. He wouldn't save enough to make it worth driving to the next store.

Although if it is that much cheaper at Wal-Mart, I would brave the long lines and trashy people.

Last edited:
Heat in my buddy's truck died, think the blower motor went. It's not putting out at all no matter what. Common problem in his truck.

Yesterday I re-threaded studs and lugs on my other friends Bronco and put his front breaks back together. He put new radiator hoses on it today and went to move it, and somehow the bottom one had a hole in it (no idea how) and literally launched coolant everywhere and leaked pretty good until I put some duct tape on it for the night so I can fix it tomorrow.

Realized that the altenator I bought yesterday was the wrong size, so took it back and had to order a new one from NAPA, since no place in town had the right size. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning and finish the altenator job.

Amazingly, I've autocrossed on a couple of plugged Star Specs and have never had an issue with it.
I've actually drifted an entire day on a tire with two plugs in it. I was afraid they wouldn't hold but they held, and are still holding.

Fitted my new belts:

6964218326_08609885f9_z.jpg
Fake Takata belts?

IIRC those even come with fake FIA badges....

Took the plates off my Grand Prix and transferred them to my new ride, a new 2012 Ford Escape V6 AWD. (bought it tonight) 👍

There are no wheels too wide, only fenders too narrow.

EDIT: I didn't even know they made fake Takata harnesses.

Real ones simply say TAKATA on the patches, not TAKATA and Takata Corporation underneath it. The camlock is also different.

The problem lies in that they also have fake FIA patches, and can therefore possibly end up in a race car somewhere. Who knows how strong the belts are or if that camlock is going to jam up in an accident and cost someone their life. Not to mention approved harnesses can be purchased for roughly the same price.

EDIT: Someone mentioned elsewhere that the patch design is how their older belts used to be, which may be true, but these have current FIA tags, and Takata doesn't make them in that design any longer.

Yeah they're fake. However the old belts that were in the car were from 1991 and thus needed replacing. I have no plans to ever use them on a track so it's not an issue in regards to the patches/track safety, if I do ever track the car I will replace them with real takata's.

Problem is I don't have the cash to buy real ones at the moment (they're near enough £400 per harness in the uk from what I've seen).

Removed the last part of this post as I was being a 🤬 for no reason.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be rude here, but I've been looking at your thread in Members Rides, the DIY modifiactions thread and obviously this thread, and I can't see any critiscism. Sure there were comments about the diff and jack stands, but they were helpful comments, from people who are trying to give advise. And the belts, that was just an observation regarding the authenticity of them, rather than criticism. I didn't see anyone giving you stick about running them or the risk to yourself... Am I missing something here?

Punknoodle
I don't mean to be rude here, but I've been looking at your thread in Members Rides, the DIY modifiactions thread and obviously this thread, and I can't see any critiscism. Sure there were comments about the diff and jack stands, but they were helpful comments, from people who are trying to give advise. And the belts, that was just an observation regarding the authenticity of them, rather than criticism. I didn't see anyone giving you stick about running them or the risk to yourself... Am I missing something here?

Sorry, I jumped on it a bit earlier as I knew there would be comments about the belts. I take back what I said, I didn't intend to be rude to anyone, I was just meaning to clarify the reasoning behind them and have taken some of what was said the wrong way. I apologise if anyone was offended, it was really not my aim.

Don't sweat it man, the internet has that effect sometimes, I know. Just like text messages, its hard to understand tone etc.

Went for a drive in the Fiat, for the first time in a while. After driving umpteen other cars it's always nice to get back into your own, even if it's not perfect, and go for a blast.

It's a car with a split personality depending on whether it's hot or cold - when it's cold it's a bit of a pain to drive really, everything rattles, the engine feels a bit flat, there's barely any grip... but once it's warmed up, it's great - everything feels slick, it stops rattling as much, even the suspension seems to get a bit more compliant.

Anyway, I'm savouring the drives while they last now as I've had a bite on the For Sale ad I placed so I might not have the car for much longer...

Went to change the fuel pump. The line snapped, the bolt was on so tight it twisted the hole thing. Still trying to figure out the mysterious short that has resulted in my car sitting for the last couple weeks.

🤬 :mad:

Last edited:
Finally got that damn Bronco finished. Took it out, got the back end to kick out a few times, dropped it in 4WD and floored it, man did that front end lift...

After that I went and worked on my teachers car. Finished putting a few new brake lines in and started bleeding them.

Went to change the fuel pump. The line snapped, the bolt was on so tight it twisted the hole thing. Still trying to figure out the mysterious short that has resulted in my car sitting for the last couple weeks.

🤬 :mad:

Unplug fuses 1 at a time. Search on from there.

I think my problem makes that a bit difficult, as it takes a while of driving for the circuit to short out again. I posted a new thread detailing my issue in case anyone on here is experienced enough to diagnose over the internet. I ordered a factory service manual in hopes that will give me more to go off of than Haynes and Chilton. Also went to the junkyard today and got a replacement fuel line, as well as a gauge cluster from an '82 280ZX... it's got a lap timer I figure I could have some fun with :dopey:.

Nice 👍 Front one looks better than the back IMO, the back one is a little lost under the main spoiler. Saw a GT-R last night on the road for the first time in a while, forgotten how imposing they are. The rear lights look great at night.

What have I done to my car today? Pretty much sold it - been up for sale for about 1.5 months but the first person to actually come and view it has bought it.

Means I'll soon get the fun of car hunting again :D

I was supposed to go to a fairly large meet today, but yesterday was consistent rain, and today was patchy and the place where it was held was a large grass field, which would have just been a big mud pit with all the cars there, so I ditched the idea. Instead I played around with designing how I would mount up the intercooler pump that would be discrete and out of the way and secure - I came up with bolting it to the front support, behind the bumper. Up high enough that it allows for the under covers to still be used. I had to remove the bracket that it came with, but I'm happy with how nicely it tucked away, and the outlets even face where I want them to face.
Pump.jpg

Here is what the ST205 water to air unit looks like. I obviously still need to do the mounting of it and the pipe work, which will require some welding to be done on it to line up the pipes and have the right flange for the BOV connection, but this shows roughly how it looks. It will be tidied up, too.
Cooler.jpg

And I fitted some edging and some stickers to my heat shield - these are the only stickers that are on, and will ever be on the car lol.
Shield.jpg

Put my new wheels on, and had a friend help with some maintenance stuff, including new rotors/ pads, coolant flush, replaced oil pickup tube, and spark plugs.

7124385811_2e090cfae6_b.jpg

Back