What have you done to your car today?

Hello that is from a 2005-2008 Chrysler Pacifica.

:tup:THANK you!

In other news, who should I be talking about 7 series beemers? We are looking into a 2000 and a 2001 BMW 740iL. Or we may just go with a 2005 Park ave Ultra. If the insurance doesn't want to fix the car ans just say its totaled.

Yesterday me and my dad rigged up a rad fan in front of my rad to assist my slowly dying main fan. Will stay there until I can replace the stock fan, and might just keep it anyways. Other than a slow spinning fan, we still have no idea why the car is over heating.

No idea why your car is overheating? Have you checked your thermostat? Water pump? How's your coolant? When was the last time it was flushed?

Thermostats are throwaway items and need replaced from time to time. I don't know what type of car you have but I'd be changing it, anyway. They aren't expensive and for the effort it takes to inspect the old one you might as well put in a new one.

Had some new Falken tyres fitted and it's transformed the handling - especially in the wet (which we have had a lot of recently!). Confidence is back, might start enjoying the old car again!

Yesterday me and my dad rigged up a rad fan in front of my rad to assist my slowly dying main fan. Will stay there until I can replace the stock fan, and might just keep it anyways. Other than a slow spinning fan, we still have no idea why the car is over heating.

Check the water pump? My friends Hyundai at work was over heating, and first we thought it was a head gasket, but after inspecting everything it turned out to be the water pump was shot.

My dad bought a K&N cold air intake for my mom's 2008 BMW 328i e90. Nice looking car, has Xenons and it's Alpine White :)

My filter is rather large, 16" around and 5 1/2 inches tall sitting between 2 Edelbrock chrome covers. You've seen the engine before though.

Well, when it overheated the first time it blew a seam at the top of my rad, so mew one of those, along with new antifreeze. We took out the thermostat at that point. The next day it overheated again on my way to work (a 15 min trip) but didn't blow my rad, it just smoked out of my overflow. The water pump is working, but I'm going to have it replaced when the next paycheck comes in, along with the thermostat. I know I don't really need one in the summer time, but I don't want to have to put one in when it starts to get cold. Might as well do it when I'm already in the car doing things.

Pressure washed my engine tonight.

d51f81ea.jpg

The stud of the ball joint. And considering that the stud began to flatten, I'd say I was hammering as hard as is going to matter. Decided to drop it off at a mechanic today and let him take care of it.
You're supposed to hammer on the side of whatever the ball joint goes into, in your case, likely the knuckle, right around where the ball joint goes into. Sounds weird but it works. Hammering on the stud just flattens it like you say.

Threw a new washer pump in the Stilo at the weekend, as it's a potential MOT (test in a fortnight) failure if the washers aren't working, and the fronts have been intermittently working (I'm assuming it's due to a lack of non-return valve, the new one is a redesign). Not terribly exciting, though it did involve jacking the car up so you can get underneath to undo a bolt for the washer bottle, good design that is!

Threw a new washer pump in the Stilo at the weekend, as it's a potential MOT (test in a fortnight) failure if the washers aren't working, and the fronts have been intermittently working (I'm assuming it's due to a lack of non-return valve, the new one is a redesign). Not terribly exciting, though it did involve jacking the car up so you can get underneath to undo a bolt for the washer bottle, good design that is!
Interestingly my car passed 2 MoTs with the passenger side washer nozzle not working, and now it's started working again at it's own accord. Win.

Next up, subframe. Cleaned up pretty good but I'll need to go over it again. A few spots will need touching up with paint, mainly the control arms and hubs.

2aee211e.jpg

Installed Racing Beat springs. They're a pretty tame setup, 20% stiffer and 7/8" drop front, 5/8" rear. Car looks much better now, looks like it should've stock, instead of the monster truck look it had before. I bought them for the way they drive, though, and I'm looking forward to actually getting around some corners in them. I've only done city and freeway driving on them so far, but they feel pretty decent, and they're decently stiff but I've driven plenty of cars that were stiffer stock.

Pics tomorrow hopefully.

You're supposed to hammer on the side of whatever the ball joint goes into, in your case, likely the knuckle, right around where the ball joint goes into. Sounds weird but it works. Hammering on the stud just flattens it like you say.

$10 later and they're apart. Meh. I had the control arms with attached ball joints off the car at this point anyways. I don't think I would have had much room to swing a hammer at the knuckle had I left it that way. Will give it a try when I do the rears.

Learned how to properly wash my Ponty today.. gave it an oil change and waiting for the temp. to rise so I can heat those sports tires properly.

Interestingly my car passed 2 MoTs with the passenger side washer nozzle not working, and now it's started working again at it's own accord. Win.

Yes, I think you'd get away with that as the wipers would spread it over the rest of the screen. Still, for £15, meh.

I need to replace a line from my transmission to the cooler, because the rubber hose that is now the connection is slowly being eaten away by the transmission oil, causing red dots every where I park my car.

Put everything back together and parked it outside (my teachers toy). Small transmission line leak now. Needs a new line me thinks because it's completey rusted where it bends.

Last night I tried to siphon the 1/2 tank of gas out out the dead Grand Prix, but no luck. It had one of those anti siphon filters in the filler neck.

Called a friend over and we jacked it up, disconnected the fuel line from fuel filter and put the end into a gas can. Then we hot wired the fuel pump with a paper clip so we could fill the can.

Ran it till the tank was bone dry and the pump was pumping air. Managed to transfer ~$40 buck worth of gas to the new car. 👍

After that we removed the hood to get better light. I'll begin pulling parts of and selling them.

We also cut the belts off, and turned all the pulleys by hand. They were ok so we're thinking the problem is internal. Plan to pull off the cylinder heads and look for a hole in one of the pistons.

After hoovering out my car the other day, i noticed as i walked away that the side lights were still on. Given that it's usually impossible to leave any of the electrics on when the keys are out of the ignition, this was slightly worrying. I spent the next 40 minutes replacing fuses and getting my wife to look at the lights whilst i cycled through various combinations of lights on, main beam off, side lights on the stalk, but to no avail the sides were still illuminated. In the end i just pulled the fuse and avoided driving it at night. I took it in to have a new clutch fitted this morning and asked the guy if he'd take a look at my lights issue whilst it was there - expecting it to be a corroded relay or something. He took the keys, put them in the ignition and clicked the button on top of the steering column - you know, the one that on 99% of cars is the hazard warning button. Problem solved. It's a parking lights switch. WTF Subaru!

Felt like a bit of a dunce to say the least.

:lol:

Today I trial fitted my new Bicycle rack. It errr, fitted. And felt quite sturdy, enough to rock the car so I'm fairly confident I'm not going to lose a bicycle in a rush off the back.

I do however need to get a couple cheap cable locks to stop any gits doing a quick snip-and-run if I park the car up with the bikes on the rack.

[EDIT] excellent type, one of the best.

Last edited:
Back