What have you done to your car today?

And a friend took care of the rest.

479424_457332550959073_100000469969143_1582208_1759165789_o.jpg
The only problem with that, is that it slides in order to collapse in the event of an accident. I see that punching out the steering wheel towards your face now, or just simply ruining all sorts of steering things in the event of a small accident.

The check engine light is on.
Get it scanned. Some auto parts stores will do it for free, and then come back and tell us what the codes were.

hawkeye122
My mother claims none around here are allowed to do it... some law? Highly sketchy, but still...

I'll let you know.

Considering it is the basis of most modern day car servicing, yeah, you could say it sounds sketchy. Not knowing that particular car, is it possible to bridge some diagnostic pins, count the flashes of the check engine light and get a code from the net?

I jumped it in work's parking lot because the battery died on lunch break. Now I'm at home charging it while I eat. Something must have happened during the night because the start was slower than usual this morning and completely dead by lunch.

I jumped it in work's parking lot because the battery died on lunch break. Now I'm at home charging it while I eat. Something must have happened during the night because the start was slower than usual this morning and completely dead by lunch.

Maybe an accessory has shorted and it's draining it? Radio? Alarm?

The only problem with that, is that it slides in order to collapse in the event of an accident. I see that punching out the steering wheel towards your face now, or just simply ruining all sorts of steering things in the event of a small accident.

I'm pretty sure that little weld will break before the seven bolts that hold he column in do. As for the second point, if "a little accident" has caused damage past the front axle to then hit and damage the steering rack and "all sorts of steering things", the car is scrap. :lol:

As for the second point, if "a little accident" has caused damage past the front axle to then hit and damage the steering rack and "all sorts of steering things", the car is scrap. :lol:
A run off the road on a track and catching the wheel on something would normally maybe bend a tie rod and tweak a subframe, but in this case would likely cause the steering shaft to bind up and possibly break the joints after such an accident. You wouldn't normally scrap a car for a $30 tie rod.

Today I:

- Washed it
- Ditched my rattling hubcaps
- Repainted 2 of the 4 steel wheels
- Fixed my front bumper
- Removed the silencer from the airbox
- Removed the badging from the fenders & trunk

Will finish painting the other two wheels tomorrow and run some New Finish over it.

So, I was driving my mum's 2001 Toyota Camry I4 around. I was driving carefully, and I parked it.

Come back later (Was at the park with some mates), start it up, and there was an issue.

Every time I would accelerate, the Engine would drop in power, for only a moment. It would shutter until about 2600 RPM, and then continue at 3000+. If I make adjustments to the throttle, either pushing harder or softer, it would shake/pause/cut-out even more.

Huh? What do I do? I told my parents, and they have told me it isnt my fault. But we aren't really in a position financially to be able to take it to the dealer or the Toyota repair shop down the road. The check engine light is on.

Help me?

And if theres a Car problems thread, please point me to it. I couldnt remember the specific name of it when i searched, and "Problem" is too vague for the search function.

Check Camry forums. I would say check EGR valve and throttle bodies, could just need a clean.

Debadged, washed and fitted an exhaust trim thing. I think it looks miles better than standard for something so subtle. Next step; lowering springs followed by some new alloys, a TTE spoiler and a T-Sport grille. 👍

yarisi.jpg

EDIT: I know that's a Forza sticker, before anyone says anything :P

I passed emissions and re-registered my car for the next year. Since my car is about to hit the 25 year old mark, this is the last emissions test that I will have to take for it.

Nice, you caught me, it wasn't strictly today but a few days ago. :lol:

Helped my mate remove the bed of his Tacoma(Same one as discussed in my Signature). Now he has a bit more rear clearance for his 33 Inch tyres in the back... Still trying to decide what to do with the front...

We then talked about doing the Baja 500 in the Modified-Stock-Midsize-Pickup class. Gutted to find out we need a Roll cage... he really doesnt want to commit to racing it that much...

Will post pics of his "solution" to mounting the tail lights...

Update on my Mum's Camry-
Have an appointment at the dealer to get the Engine light read, but not diagnosed. Then I can have the code, and set about using my friends insane garage to go about fixing it.

Last edited:
hawkeye122
Helped my mate remove the bed of his Tacoma(Same one as discussed in my Signature). Now he has a bit more rear clearance for his 33 Inch tyres in the back... Still trying to decide what to do with the front...

We then talked about doing the Baja 500 in the Modified-Stock-Midsize-Pickup class. Gutted to find out we need a Roll cage... he really doesnt want to commit to racing it that much...

Will post pics of his "solution" to mounting the tail lights...

Update on my Mum's Camry-
Have an appointment at the dealer to get the Engine light read, but not diagnosed. Then I can have the code, and set about using my friends insane garage to go about fixing it.

Go to a site called toyotanation, they can really help you with your problems. Go to the stealership get the codes pulled and then fo online. These guys are very knowledgable with these cars and there is a wealth of info in the camry section. Just read the stickies lest they bring down thier wraith upon you.

Found a guy with a 90% complete 1966 289. Just needs a crankshaft and a few other parts along with a tranny and I can then have a proper Mustang. Going to see him tomorrow...hopefully it's in good shape.

*starts drooling intensely*

Go to a site called toyotanation, they can really help you with your problems. Go to the stealership get the codes pulled and then fo online. These guys are very knowledgable with these cars and there is a wealth of info in the camry section. Just read the stickies lest they bring down thier wraith upon you.

Toyota Nation seems so.... Messy. This is the only forum I've ever used, and that forum seems to be a bit vague and... unruly. But i'll give it a shot once I get the code.

hawkeye122
Toyota Nation seems so.... Messy. This is the only forum I've ever used, and that forum seems to be a bit vague and... unruly. But i'll give it a shot once I get the code.

It is messy, but if you go into the 3rd-4th gen camry sub forum there is a lot of good guys with a lot of good info. No of the stickies will have all the engine codes, and there is almost always some there who has gone threw what you have

Uh oh.
Got news on the Camry...

Spark Plugs(cords too) Engine Mount, Water Pump, and a whole host of belts.
$1100. We really dont have that...

hawkeye122
Uh oh.
Got news on the Camry...

Ouch!

Did a pre MOT check on the Mini ready for this weekends test, other than a ball joint that'll need adjusting and a new rear fog lamp unit which is now on order all seems well.

Should probably wash it beforehand too, parking under a tree at work all day has left it looking pretty grubby, maybe if it looks a little cleaner on test day they won't get overly picky with it.

Put gas in the truck and washed the windows on the way to work...left the Jaaag at home in the garage so she wouldn't get wet :)

Uh oh.
Got news on the Camry...

If you're a bit handy with tools you can do it yourself.

1100 dollar for that tiny amount of work.
That's
ludacris-224467.jpg

The Colt failed its MOT last week on a split CV boot, so I replaced it yesterday. I'd never done a CV boot before and it took all day, but I got there successfully in the end. The brake pads on the front were wearing thin - an advisory on the MOT - so I replaced those too. Took it back today, came away with a certificate for the next 12 months. Happiness is an MOT pass.

Last edited:
Back