What have you done to your car today?

Finally replaced my awful 185/55/15 OEM tires with some decent summer rubber, 195/50/15 BF Goodrich g-Force Spor COMP-2s. Haven't been able to evaluate the grip much yet but it's immediately evident that BFG wasn't kidding about stiff sidewalls, driving on these is massively different and it feels as if I'd installed new springs several kg stiffer.

I didn't even know what I'd been missing, since every prior car I'd owned either came with larger wheels or more aggressive tires when I got it.

Takumi Fujiwara
Finally replaced my awful 185/55/15 OEM tires with some decent summer rubber, 195/50/15 BF Goodrich g-Force Spor COMP-2s. Haven't been able to evaluate the grip much yet but it's immediately evident that BFG wasn't kidding about stiff sidewalls, driving on these is massively different and it feels as if I'd installed new springs several kg stiffer.

I didn't even know what I'd been missing, since every prior car I'd owned either came with larger wheels or more aggressive tires when I got it.

I feel like this is exactly what's going to happen when Takumi finally buys his own car.

If he does don't tell me, I just started the third season.

I got the Comp-2's on my car, they really are excellent tires and they are very predictable in the corners. They are a little on the loud side, but I suppose that's how it is with all summer tires. My only complaint about they is that they flat spot easily when you're car is parked for a lengthy time after being driven. They wear back round fairly quick though.

Did some dyno tuning on Friday on my brother's 09 Saturn Sky. Mods are 3 bar map sensors, K&N drop in filter and Magnaflow CAT back. It was stupid hot, like 120* out and we were having spark drop up top because of IAT after the turbo at over 170* due to the length of the pulls. The butt dyno results far out way the actual numbers it put down it builds boost much quicker and pulls way harder in the mid range. Unfortunately I cannot get in to the auto trans to make changes to that at this point, but maybe some day....

*snip*

Wow that does have a strong mid range, must be a blast to drive.

Wow that does have a strong mid range, must be a blast to drive.

Unfortunately since we couldnt hold it in 4th we couldnt get the low down numbers we wanted, but it pulls like a rocket outta corners now, very surpriusing the amount a grip it has when you roll on the throttle compared to the violent fishtails you get when mashing it

Unfortunately since we couldnt hold it in 4th we couldnt get the low down numbers we wanted, but it pulls like a rocket outta corners now, very surpriusing the amount a grip it has when you roll on the throttle compared to the violent fishtails you get when mashing it

Why couldn't you hold fourth? Also, I've got to ask how is the handling on the sky? I don't know anyone with one (at least anyone that would drive it properly) and have always wondered if it's as fast as it appears to be and turns as sharp as it looks. IMO the solstice is cool, but Saturn used the sky as a chance to show Pontiac what they could have and should have done.

Edit: never mind the gear question. I missed that it's an auto.

Last edited:
Swapped my clutch and flywheel (in MX-5). I couldn't get a lightened flywheel that fitted a 1.6 clutch disc so I got a 1.8 clutch and lightweight flywheel. The old setup weighed 12kg (clutch disc, flywheel and cover plate) compared to the new weight of 9kg, so a 25% difference overall.

At first the difference wasn't initially noticeable (as I was never giving it any revs) but now I've started to give it a bit more I've noticed it's much more responsive when blipping the throttle during downshifting.

I'm also quite happy that I did this myself (with a little bit of help getting the gearbox in and out) and that it all works afterwards :D

Why couldn't you hold fourth? Also, I've got to ask how is the handling on the sky? I don't know anyone with one (at least anyone that would drive it properly) and have always wondered if it's as fast as it appears to be and turns as sharp as it looks. IMO the solstice is cool, but Saturn used the sky as a chance to show Pontiac what they could have and should have done.

Edit: never mind the gear question. I missed that it's an auto.

The handling surprises the crap outta me each time I drive it. Its very very controlable if you modulate the throttle and even when you get it outta shape its very manageble. This is my brothers 1st RWD car and he has only driven my Camaro at the track so he has very limited experience in a RWD car and can get this thing to slide around corners or stay planted depending on how he drives it. U turns are legal in AZ so I love I flipping this little car around and stabbing the throttle and depending on how it shifts, because it does vary, you can get it to slide in to 3rd gear on occasion, but usually the 1-2 shift will allow the tires to keep spinnign, but the 2-3 is to soft for it.

There is an instructor at Bondurant that has a Sky Redline and it screams, its a manual and he has driven the track a million times, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I was really impressed watching him out there in his.

Spent the day under my car yesterday, and finally got some parts installed that have been sitting in my parts cabinet for almost a year.

Drained the coolant and installed a Venair hose kit (makes a better kit than Samco for my car, IMO)

Installed my authentic Nismo rad cap.

Put my powder coated aluminum under tray and bell housing shield from Tollbooth Willy on, which looks awesome compared to the cheap plastic original, and lets me see my centre jack point again.

Now its just the mind numbing task of bleeding the coolant system on the VQ35. :ouch:

Did some long exposure shots

9203837325_e18f2727b9_h.jpg

9206561704_f5379aebcc_h.jpg

I worked on my WRX almost the entire holiday weekend. Made a LOT of improvements mostly painting. You can see the LONG post in the members ride section.

However my wifes Subaru radiator went out this weekend and I replaced it yesterday. There is a plastic skid plate that blocks the bottom of the engine and radiator. That skid plate allowed road salt to accumulate and destroyed the radiator. So I wont be installing that skid plate. Very busy holiday but made a lot of progress!

Last edited:
Replaced my PCV valve and bled the coolant again.

What a difference a little piece of plastic makes. My car idles so much smoother and I can rev it up without it dropping below down low in the RPM's before going back to idle.

I decided that the Flexible Snake Tube is probably quite important to my car. It definitely works better with it attached.

SAM_4759copy_zpsdd78c799.jpg

So Fernando is currently undergoing reconstructive surgery.

SAM_4756_zps0bc86699.jpg

The Mini was looking pretty dirty after a few rainstorms, and it really needed a wax, so I took 2 hours today to wash/claybar/wax it.
UKrCidD.jpg

Waiting for the wax to dry, I cleaned off the engine too.
sli7Sji.jpg

Now its super shiny and has the magnetic number decals applied. :D

Some AutoX

Very good run! Nice to see some more members in here getting some real life action with their cars. 👍

I have been working a LOT on my new WRX the last couple weeks. I wont bother posting all the pics again. You can view them in the members ride section.

After I replaced my wifes radiator in her Subaru Impreza I built a speaker box for it. Later I will be building the exact same speaker box setup for my WRX.

Well, despite my utter distaste for shifters of this weight, I switched my shift knob today...

From Duracon Sti knob (approximately 105g)
$(KGrHqJ,!lwE8FvtGKh1BPPn7Demhw~~60_1_3565_1.JPG

To

Stock: (weighs approximately 230g)
2964741298_e9044960da.jpg

The lighter Duracon knob gives better shift feel imo but the heat of a Louisiana summer makes it hard to live with outside the cooler months of the year. :(
Atleast I can go back to the Ti sti knob when winter comes back. :D

33566150012_large.jpg

New rod bearings...

Trans & diff service to come this week. Play time Saturday! Should have some awesome vids of it on the street next week...

ok i dont feel so bad.. my rotors only have 7K miles on them and the cracks on some of the holes dont look too bad maybe 3-4mm and not all the way through.. just a lot of scarring

Last edited:
Back