What have you done to your car today?

My Wife got herself disqualified at the end of October (6 months ban for numerous 'relatively minor' speeding offenses), and as a consequence the 996 didn't get driven for a couple of months. When I came to start it, it took ages to fire up, and when it eventually did, it was only running on 4 :crazy:

Had it recovered to my local indy at the beginning of this week and got the call today with the list of work;

New battery
Coil packs
Plugs
Rear discs & pads
2 rear tyres
Couple of suspension arms
Auxiliary belt
Some bulbs and other bits
Service
MOT

Also asked them to look at the central locking and the AC, both of which have stopped working.

Looking forward to getting her back end of next week :) Not looking forward to the bill :nervous:

most of your problems are from the battery having died, central locking in particular, all you need is a code reset using a handheld code reader, suspension arms not too common for garaged cars either, take care to inspect the car yourself to see if it matches the work sheet.

I put my Fiesta into a wall last night trying to keep up with my friend's Evora. Kicking myself really hard, both because because I made a rookie mistake I thought I was long past, and because I'd long since sworn off doing stupid stuff on the canyons for exactly that reason.

Fortunately it's just a bit of body and suspension damage, and I can get parts wholesale and have a shop so I can have it back up and running pretty quick.

at least you haven't bought a bus stop, a yield sign, half a retaining wall, a new intercooler, a front fender, 2 new porsche rims, headlights, and pirelli p zero asmetricos over at Larchmont and beverly - biggest and only rookie mistake i've done - the malibu canyon run and the snake have been my favorite 3am runs.

most of your problems are from the battery having died, central locking in particular, all you need is a code reset using a handheld code reader, suspension arms not too common for garaged cars either, take care to inspect the car yourself to see if it matches the work sheet.

CL wasn't working before the car stood for 2 months - it's not battery related... and the suspension arms were creaking too.

Been using these guys for nearly 6 years... they know the car well and I trust them.

Well, I got a little busy today. After much swearing and skinned knuckles, this happened:

IMG_20150330_210733.jpg

Let me explain... A little while ago I discovered the rubber for the gearbox mount had perished, so it wasn't working as well as it should have been. I replaced it (and the other engine mounts) with a set of Group N spec ones, so they're far stiffer than before.

From a driving point of view the new bits are fantastic: the vastly reduced movement of the engine means that the steering is even sharper than before, and the whole car feels incredibly stable through the twisty bits. The downside is that even more vibration enters the cabin than before, so the already rattly dashboard has just got much worse. Hence I'm ripping it all out, adding stuff to dampen the buzzes, and screwing it all back together again. It also gives me a chance to replace one or two blown interior bulbs, and I might take a look at the heating system, because the fan is loose resulting in a really irritating noise on low fan speeds.

Anyway, I think I remember where everything goes...

In the mean time, I've also sent away the distributor to be refurbished, and I'm doing one or two other little bits of maintenance under the bonnet, mainly to wiring.

CL wasn't working before the car stood for 2 months - it's not battery related... and the suspension arms were creaking too.

Been using these guys for nearly 6 years... they know the car well and I trust them.

ah,my bad, my battery had fluctuations normally undetectable but the CL computer ( locks it when im rolling past 20 mph ) had a bit of a fit, after much much fidgeting, I unplugged the battery and pressed the key fob while i plugged it back in, and it worked. it doesn't work for all cars though.

in the meantime, my BMW's aFe air intake arrived via UPS and has been installed, just need to reset the air sensor computer
null_zps19a03922.jpg

After completing track days at Laguna Seca and Willow Springs I installed the proverbial trackday decals ...
null_zpseded4fe3.jpg

running both of those hard, requires changing out the cooked rotors, thankfully I have a set of OEM rotors at home
null_zps2a34ea05.jpg

of course my 3 brothers have to show up to make sure we look like a car show .... >__> <___< >___>

798407_608952055785341_519402934_o_zpsa5490bb3.jpg

397386_608882189125661_1489392863_n_zpse7f9c818.jpg

I changed my oil myself for the first time!

Did have a slight problem... I got the right tool to put my new filter on, unfortunately it wasn't the right tool to take the old filter off... which I discovered after I'd already drained my oil. Very lucky a friend had the loop tool and ran it over to me.

Oil filter is in a very hard to reach place on my car (1985 300ZX) I have no idea how the Super Lube guys got to it from underneath.

Mmm, love me some BMW Z-car. They all stock, power/handling wise?
Power and Handling Yes. The Z4 up front is the Z4M, the one in the back is standard, the Coupe is of course an M , I sold the Z3 Roadster to a lucky kid, for 1.5k USD - I hope he doesn't do anything dumb and go and kill himself that car has a super sprint exhaust, a close ratio gearbox and Mecahnical LSD, but I ran outta room in my yard.

Last edited:
What have I done to my "truck" today?

OH! I remember! I brushed off the SNOW from its roof and bed cover...

What month is it again....? Oh yeah, April...

:grumpy:

^ You mind my asking how much that cost? I've been wanting to get mine done.

Me, I changed my oil, rotated the tires, and took a look at my brake pads. Where my slotted discs tore right through my old EBC Greens, my Hawk HPSs are still looking new after six months (*ED. - just looked it up, my photos are dated; the Green Stuff were replaced at 14 months). I also moved into a new place and finally gave my car a garage, if that counts!

My car's been having trouble starting lately, too. Today it finally took a few tries before turning over. Might be getting a new battery tomorrow...

*ED. - Yup, battery was flat. The thing wasn't on the tester for a minute at AutoZone and it came up bad. Luckily, my friend just got a job there. Employee discount, baby!

Last edited:
For the first time in about 10 years, I change my own oil. I was doing most of those "minor" things myself but having kids put a stop to that for far too long. Conventional for my Pilot and full synthetic for my wife's CRV as her's has the oil monitor system and mine doesn't. Felt good getting dirty in the garage again. Now I just need to get back to work on the FIAT...

Nothing crazy and I'm way late but got a new shift knob from Cobb. Haven't taken any "installed" pics but you get the idea.

OEM behind it.

Side by side

Ongoing week -
Stressful week ! I replaced the vacuum hose which is ... loaced in a tiny crammed space between the firewall and the engine because the plastic they used melted and developed a leak ( which originally was misdiagnosed by a porsche factory mechanic as a faulty O2 sensors ) so I replaced it with sturdier rubber vacuum hose from Mr.Hoe - problem solved.

Adjusting Toe Settings ( bolt above anti roll bar adjustment )
20150422_162402_zpsm3hsguva.jpg

and camber settings ( bolt below drive shaft )
20150422_162407_zpscinllav9.jpg

Drained the Oil, waiting for my D.O.F. to arrive (Direct Oil Feed system) - apparently if you don't drive the car "hard enough" the main shaft bearings seals start to get eaten by it's own oil and that you need a D.O.F. to keep the bearings lubed up so they don't explode ( way to go Porsche engineers, that wasn't in the brochure ) ... and the oil change recommended for it is 5,000 - 10,000 miles only, as opposed to 25,000 miles that I was used to on my other car - bleh !
20150422_162821_zpspqnfuskw.jpg

Adjusting the Torsion Bar ( it has a sliding rod type tensioner )
20150422_162411_zps4gubyh9s.jpg

Replacing Sparkplugs with NGK platinum twin contacts from the Bosch quad contacts and finally, taking it to the shop sometime next week to get it on the dyno and get the alignment checked.

- whew, I'm getting old and i will end up driving a mercifully mundane 4 door soon.

Replaced the dead front door speakers with Kickers. RSXs just plain do not welcome aftermarket speakers; if I had known I would have had to cut up the metal, I'd have bought bigger speakers. At least they sound good.

17269146872_3415c9a9e7_b.jpg

And, out of boredom, I did a quick mock-up of my project's head. The parts collecting may keep getting pushed back, but at least it'll look cool when it finally does get built :dopey:

17063525157_82b7fcf628_b.jpg

17270421151_ddca65ae95_b.jpg

^ You mind my asking how much that cost? I've been wanting to get mine done.

Sorry about the late reply. Haven't been on for some time. It cost $100 a wheel to get them refinished. They were pretty bad when I got the car. Bubbling and curb rashed a lot, so they had to be completely stripped down. The paint was free. I could have stuck with the factory silver with machined face, but instead went for a factory-like option of graphite.

Well I didn't do anything to it really, but the left rear tire on my mom's Edge blew today... I think around 400 miles after she first got them she ran over a screw, and we didn't bother getting new ones but just plugged them. They have roughly 32k miles on them now and another 28k until warranty is up so tomorrow I'll get two new ones to put on the front.

One thing that I have for everyone is this... Since it happened on the Interstate and I live in Georgia, which requires that all vehicles considerably slow down or move one lane over for stopped, or emergency vehicles on the sides, I was pretty weary of anyone actually heeding that at all... Which they didn't.

I know a lot of people who have had close calls when pulled over or stopped on the side, and someone almost hits them. Just two miles north of where we changed the wheel out, someone lost their head (seriously) when changing their wheels. It's not that hard to slow down, or give people seven or so more feet of safety..

I apologize to sound forceful, but what if it were you?

^ I actually take that kind of thing pretty seriously. I do a lot of bicycling, and even with dedicated bike lanes drivers will sometimes get uncomfortably close at speed. On a freeway where cars are doing 75mph+, you bet your ass I'm always on the lookout for stopped cars, on-ramps, etc, ready to give people the courtesy.

Your Jezza avatar is now reminding me of how he's always talking about having snipers pick people off the road for being stupid. If taking idiots out of the gene pool was legal, I'd be first in line for the job. I absolutely loathe most other motorists. Being someone who is seriously interested in cars - I'm sure many of you are the same way - I pay a lot of attention to what other drivers are doing. So many pathetic mistakes, they get me a bit worked up. They should just be glad I'm not in power, lol, under my regime non-enthusiasts would be confined to much-improved public transportation.

So many pathetic mistakes, they get me a bit worked up. They should just be glad I'm not in power, lol, under my regime non-enthusiasts would be confined to much-improved public transportation.
then you should watch Snowcatxx87 on Youtube....

Just watched a video. That guy takes things to extremes - the fact that it bothers him so much that he cares to make a video series about it is sad enough. While I agree with all the crap he's pointing out, I'm not about to flip people off and yell at them for the little mistakes.

... were you looking for the questionable mods thread (even though it's an obvious photo-shop)? Love the bumper sticker. Chances are pretty good my next project car will be a '98 Cobra. I love that body style. That side crease, and how it sweeps up into the trunk lip, oh! Those things look downright mean with the right stance and wheel dimensions.

I ordered some stuff for the RSX a little over a week ago, it finally came. All the wiring connected to the battery, plus a transmission fluid pressure switch my D light is throwing a code for. Even after replacing the battery, I'm still having weak starts. I figure the wires are something I want to replace regardless, just because there is an exposed three inches or so on the ground cable (seems to be a weird Honda thing) and it was green with corrosion. My car has previous ownership in New Jersey and/or Florida (CarFax records), so it's got some rust... it's preventative maintenance if nothing else, which I'm all for. Plus, changing the starter on my car - if it turns out the wiring isn't at fault - involves removing the front bumper, rad support, and intake manifold.

17236115714_60341c197b_o.png

That bottom cable is the ground side; I wrapped the exposed section in plumber's tape and shrunk heat wrap around that. Getting all this hooked up is my project for today.

Last edited:
Back