Whats Your Audio / Home Cinema Setup?

• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 877 comments
The only thing I could come up with for the little things on the floor is that they are microphones. They might be there for measuring how the sound waves are reflecting off the walls and then adjusting the output to correct it if something goes awry. But it looks like there's way to many of them to be mics.

Look at the size of the speaker wire though!

I bet Limp Biscuit rocks on that system :D

The only thing I could come up with for the little things on the floor is that they are microphones. They might be there for measuring how the sound waves are reflecting off the walls and then adjusting the output to correct it if something goes awry. But it looks like there's way to many of them to be mics.
Look at the size of the speaker wire though!
That's what I was wondering, some type of real-time-analyzation of the audio...but wasn't sure.

I bet Limp Biscuit rocks on that system :D

It took all I all the energy I could muster up to not hit that ban button...., my finger is still shaking...

:D

Those are anti-theft devices. If the GrandSlams are moved without proper authorization, they shoot poison bullets into the criminal's retinas.

img2375km3.jpg

It's not much, but I love it.

Apple MacBook Pro 15" in clamshell mode connected to a Dell 2407 24" monitor (1920x1200 baby :sly: ) which has an Xbox 360 connected to it via VGA. The speakers are Logitech Z5500s.

You need some, I dunno, wall-stuff. Pictures or whatever. Maybe of dancing girls!

I guess you wouldn't notice 'em while face-down on the laptop after 17 hours of Counterstrike. . .:sly:

for a long while now I had a cheap-o HTIB Onkyo setup but it just wasn't doing it for me. One of my pastimes is movie watching and I've always got friends over to watch something too. The Onkyo's just weren't doing it for me so I figured I should invest in something that will sound great and I wouldn't need to worry about upgrading anytime soon (because I tend to get that itch). Here is the new setup which is a lot heavier on the wallet but well worth it for the hours and hours of pleasure I will get out of listening to them. I went with the Paradigm Studio Reference series for the speakers:

Fronts: Paradigm Studio v.4 40's
Center: Paradigm Studio v.4 CC-590
Surround: Paradigm Studio v.4 ADP-590 (on order)
Sub: Hsu VTF-3 MK3
Receiver: Denon 3808
HD-DVD: Toshiba A35 HD-DVD
Blu-Ray: Playstation 3
Other: Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii
TV: 50" Sony HDTV

Here's a shot of the Studio 40's and the center without the covers:

paradigm01mc8.jpg

Dude.... :eek: :drool:

New pants? Yep, need 'em.

hey CDailey, I think we discussed a few things in the "your latest purchase thread" back when I originally picked those Paradigms up. Almost have everything in as you can see, just a few odds and ends and I'm all set. I picked up another car since then so that took priority for a while there so getting all the home audio stuff in took longer than expected.

Yeah, we discussed it a little bit. How do they sound? Did you wall mount them or are they on stands?

they are AMAZING. I went with stands for a few reasons. Easier than finding good brackets for the wall that I was comfortable with holding a large amount of money, I can position the fronts more effectively, easier than cleaning up holes all over the wall when I move or reposition, etc. The ADP's should be awesome too when they come in, I can't wait.

2008_02240004_600.jpg

Sharp Aquos LC-37D62U
Energy C-50 (fronts and surrounds) and C-C50 (centre)
Definitive Technology ProSub 1000

PlayStation 3 (60GB)
Onkyo TX-SR605
Oppo DV980-H
Bello PVS-4218HG

Ok, here's my new setup. (new=first ever)

Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers, but the usual 9.CC of the pack is in this case the 9.CS (larger and overall better sounding - I heard both).
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR505
Cables: Goldkabel 4.0mm and TechLink RCA-RCA for the sub.

I got them all in black except the sub, wish I thought would look nicer in cherry (to match the living room furniture). The black ones will match the PS3 and the LCD I'll be buying later on.
The Onkyo is silver because it was a great deal (less +€100 than on any other store)
So far everything's on a very initial stage, as almost nothing is in its final position yet, I'll change stuff over the weekend and then even more as soon as my stands come for the front speakers. I'll also be painting all the walls in May, I'm bored with all this white...
The stand on the pic is a pair I got really cheap, but they're lousy. The ones I'm getting are thick, can be filled and have a 'thing' (don't know the word for it) so the cable doesn't show.
The thing with the things on top of the sub is only until I get things organized and find another spot for it.
Also, cables are still a bit messy right now, will be much better this weekend.
I'll post a couple of pics then.

receiver1yz8.jpg

Nevermind the dust, and especially some of the CD's visible on this image. :D

subwoofer1ui0.jpg

See the thing with the things? And cables still everywhere?...
But I really like the sound this sub provides, excellent for the size and especially its price.

backsurround1mf3.jpg

These stands are just temporary, so the back speakers don't have to lay on the floor until I get the other ones. Speaker cover is off for the pic.
You can see my cellphone charger there too, how cool is that?

centralspeaker1gk6.jpg

Here's the big one (also shot without the cover). A lot better sounding than the 9.CC, it packs a great bass sound too. Terrific speaker.

:)👍

Here is what my setup consists of:

JVC 52" LCoS Rear-Projection HDTV
Motorola DCT6412 120GB HD Cable Box w/ Dual HD Tuner
Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V Receiver
Xbox 360
Toshiba HD-A3 HDDVD Player
Oppo 971 DVD Player

2x Polk Monitor 70 floorstanding speakers (fronts)
1x Polk Monitor CS2 center speaker
4x Polk Monitor 40 bookshelf speakers (surrounds and rear surrounds)
1x Polk PSW10 subwoofer

Technics RPDJ-1200 headphones

Offspring, Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Beerz, did you sneak into my house with your receiver and take a picture? :lol:

And that is some damn thick speaker wire. :eek:

Very nice setup. Can't wait for the everything-is-where-it-supposed-to-be pictures!

Edit: Another nice setup for MustangSVT! I'm feeling left out of the Onkyo club, though. :grumpy:

:lol:

heh. here's a cheap set
Technics Dolby Pro Logic reciever
sony Xplod automotive speaker set (they won't fit into my car)
19 inch Magnovox TV circa 1990
PSX-1001 and PS2-50000
Phillips DVD/VCR 4 head stereo (finally, they're making stereo VCR's again!)
Soundesign (late 80's) combo cube unit. high speed dub dual deck casette w/equalizer, tuner, CD input(!), 2 speed turntable. clock w alarm
Realistic modular unit 8-track deck!

and the only thing that was really expensive was the tv. i never bought a "cover your butt" contract again.

Circa mid-eighties Klipsch KG-2s that are fed by a late eighties Realistic something or other. I feed most audio to that from my computer through my M-Audio Firewire Solo.

It's all about free equipment for me.

TB
Offspring, Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Beerz, did you sneak into my house with your receiver and take a picture? :lol:

And that is some damn thick speaker wire. :eek:

Very nice setup. Can't wait for the everything-is-where-it-supposed-to-be pictures!
I just did a photoshop job on a pic of your living room with my receiver. :D
Yeah, the speaker cable is pretty good, they're 4.0mm thick.

I thought I'd have things ready by today, but I went to the store yesterday and the stands still hadn't arrived... I've got the cables sorted out now, so at least it looks 'cleaner'.

Next year I'm buying all new furniture (very different from this one and I'm going for a rustic raw style), so I do hope everything will be the way I like on this room. (starting with the painting in a couple of months, white gets boring after 8 years...)

Good stuff Beerz, great to see everything in its (almost) final place.

TB - the cable Beerz has is what I would personally recommend as a minimum thickness for copper, silver based cable will allow you to go thinner but it is more expensive, then again its easier to hide. However what sounds best is always the most important factor.

I now have my new carpet laid, so I will get photos up of the completed room as soon as I can.....

....now I have to start saving for the upgrades.

Scaff

Finally, a picture from the sweetspot :-)

List of stuff, left to right, top to bottom :

TV is a Sharp Aquos 37" XD1E 1080p
  • Denon DP-47F turntable with Denon DL-160 stylus.
  • NAD PP2 RIAA. (Does almost as well as the NAD 3020 amplifier)
  • Dali SC7 center. Think we could use a replacement, but will wait until the receiver gets replaced to see if it improves.
  • Pioneer RFD-1 AC-3 RF Demodulator - rare as **** flavored ice cream and a million times as useful. Laserdisc accessory.
  • PS3 - Well D'uh..
  • Sony STR-DA50ES Surround receiver - Will be replaced by a Yamaha RXV-1800 soon.
  • HTPC.
  • NAD 2200PE Power Amp - Disconnected atm. but considering bi-amping the fronts.
  • NAD 2700 THX - Powering front speakers
  • Pioneer CLD-2850 Laserdisc player. I'm looking for a D925 to replace it.

Front speakers - 14+ years old F3 Lyd Trapez X... I'll never ever get rid of these - Refurbished this weekend with new foam on the front and behind the tweeters and new felt on the tweeters themselves. They looked like crap before - really crappy actually. Also replaced antenna cable and the signal cable from the receiver to the sub amplifier while I had torn the living room apart anyway.

Imageshack is being a turd, so no hi-res picture from them - Find it here instead : http://www.whateversville.dk/images/D75C3095.JPG (1.8Mb)

Avance Sub (Bandpass, dual long stroke 8" inside) powered by a Denon POA-4400A monaural amp. The amp, with better cable from the receiver as well as better speaker cable from amp to sub, also done this weekend, added SOOOOO much depth, speed and precision to deepest bass... Sweetness !...

And finally, our pathetic Dali rear speakers - Don't have many other options due to lack of space... :-| (They're not ALL bad, I just wish they had a more diffuse sound) The cable hiding-thingys needs another coat of paint it seems... My sister did the painting above the couch which needs to be moved a little bit. To the right you can see a little of our CD collection...

Scaff - Thanks, I'll be updating as things change. glad you like it so far, seeing as I ended up getting most of the things you suggested. My room is small though, I wish I had more space, things tend to look cramped.
And you're right about the cable, the guy at the store also said the exact same thing, and he recommended this one. He even made me a great discount on it, so I took it.

Can't wait to see the pics of your 'new and improves' room. 👍

Flerbizky - Looks good, I wish I had a room as big as yours. Not so sure about that door there, but everything looks good.
What's the Demodulator for exactly?

Flerbizky - Looks good, I wish I had a room as big as yours. Not so sure about that door there, but everything looks good.
What's the Demodulator for exactly?
I wish we had a room twice as big - Would help immensely. There's actually not enough air in the room, so bass tends to get a little exaggerated unfortunately..

Anyway - The Demodulator takes a Modulated AC-3 signal from a Laserdisc and converts it to a "normal" PCM AC-3 signal which can be "understood" by todays surround receivers/amplifiers. An input that could demodulate LD AC-3 signals was, if not standard, then close to it, on yesteryears high-end receivers/amplifiers.. But not today - and since I'm not getting rid of my LD collection, it was a had-to-have...

[Edit:] The cool thing about the Pioneer demodulator compared to the others you can get is, that is has inputs for both the regular "digital out", which carries eg. a DTS signal, as well the RF modulated AC-3 input, and only one output which can be prioritized so you'll always get the optimal signal from your Laser discs...

Forgot to mention - I'm planning on getting a projector with a screen that'll roll down in front of the TV.. That's the next big project...

OK finally got the room finished and the kit back in place and tidied up, so here are some new pictures.

First a shot of how the kit looks at the front of the room….
tvviewdl0.jpg

…and looking back from the kit we can see the rest of the room, including one of the surrounds….
rearsurroundrightoq2.jpg

….followed by a close up of the kit rack itself and with the centre speaker (full kit list below) on top.
rackcloseupny6.jpg

A close up of one of the surrounds, tiny little things that they are. However the sound from them surprises everyone (and it should do at the price)….
r45frontdb8.jpg

…and here we can see part of the reason why. While the front carries the 3” driver, the tweeter is rear firing (20mm) and bounces the sound of the wall behind. The end result is a wide sound field from a very small speaker.
r45rearms9.jpg

Up front I have a pair of R90’s,….
r90front2dd5.jpg

…and the sub (seen here without the front cover showing the ‘business’ end of a 10” driver).
subsanscoverad8.jpg

Finally, what would be the point of all the above without something to use on it. So here we have my films (you can't easily see it but that is upto 3 rows deep)….
filmsgq3.jpg

….and games.
gamesah3.jpg

Kit List
Sony Bravia KDL-40W2000 (40” 1080p)
Sony STR-DG710 6.1 Amp Now upgraded with a Denon AVS 1909 7.1 Receiver - Now upgraded with a Sony DA-2400ES
Playstation 3 with 160gig 500gig internal HDD and 250gig external HDD
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-EP30 HD-DVD player (and main DVD upscaler)
Monitor Audio Radius R180 centre speaker
Monitor Audio Radius R90 front speakers (on dedicated stands)
Monitor Audio Radius R45 surround speakers (on dedicated stands)
Monitor Audio Bronze Reference BRW-10 Subwoofer
Sky+ Satellite box - Virgin HD+ box - Virgin HD 1tb Tivo box

All cables by QED and IXOS, speaker cable QED Silver anniversary

The Monitor Audio Radius range of speakers are beautifully made, with all the drivers directly bolted and coupled to the speaker chassis, which allows them to be driven very hard with no distortion at all. The finish is true laquer as well, not a plastic coating, the price does reflect all of that, but for me it's worth it as they sound stunning.

I’ve now spent months getting the sound well balanced and overall I’m very, very happy with the set-up, that’s not to say that I don’t have an upgrade list, but that will have to wait to see how funds go this year.

Regards

Scaff

Last edited:
Looks very nice, Scaff! The down side is you are really making me wish I had some time to start designing my new entertainment center but as work is busy right now, I just haven't had the time to nail down some of the more difficult parts. All told, we have budgeted $5000 for the redo, but I know we'll go north of that...

Well done Scaff, It looks like life will be quite enjoyable for you.👍

TB
All told, we have budgeted $5000 for the redo, but I know we'll go north of that...

A budget....whats that?:crazy:

TB
Looks very nice, Scaff! The down side is you are really making me wish I had some time to start designing my new entertainment center but as work is busy right now, I just haven't had the time to nail down some of the more difficult parts. All told, we have budgeted $5000 for the redo, but I know we'll go north of that...
Ahh budgets, the tool we use to justify spending even more than we even intended. I know that I broke my own budget on putting the above together on at least two occasions, and I already know what I'm going to change/upgrade later this year (money and wife permitting).

Well done Scaff, It looks like life will be quite enjoyable for you.👍

It keeps me happy (and fortunatly the family see the value in it as well) and out of the pub.

Scaff

Latest Posts

Back