Where Have the Crowds Gone???

This is something, which I noticed a few months after the game first came out. Although many people pay little attention to the grandstands while they are playing the game, it is something, which adds that extra bit of realism to the game.

In a world such as the one depicted in the Gran Turismo series clearly racing is the most important factor. Which makes it disturbing is that even in a world where racing is life, fan turnout has not been that great at some of the games legendary circuits. In fact at many tracks the amount of spectators has dropped off dramatically.

As not only a Gran Turismo driver but as an avid racing fan I felt that this pressing issue in the world of Gran Turismo must be investigated. I took it upon myself to take a look at which tracks seem to failing and which ones are flourishing.

It was not so long ago back in the days of the original Gran Turismo when the grandstands were absolutely packed with avid racing fans. They came out in droves, filling nearly every corner of the track with fans, to cheer on their favorite pixilated cars. No matter how slow the cars, or how boring the racing, throngs of fans showed their support for the sport they were programmed to love.

Things however seemed to take a turn for the worse however when Gran Turismo 3 came around. Tracks, which were normally full to the brim with spectators, were seeing reduced crowd sizes. Mind you however the crowds were still there but it was easy to spot out sections of the track that did not sell out. No one really seemed to complain however about the smaller crowds or perhaps no one noticed.

Now with Gran Turismo 4 however its clear that the fans are no longer interested. One only needs to take a look at the photos I have taken to see the painfully low attendance. The worse part however is its not at places you would expect. As an example take a look at Grand Valley.

nearemptygvmk8.jpg

Can you believe it? Grand Valley which had always been a fan favorite, and host to some of the greatest races in GT history. Races such as Me vs. AI in 98, Me vs. AI in 2001 and of course the legendary Me vs. AI vs. AI vs. the sand trap in the first hairpin in 2005. Cleary those amazing battles weren’t enough to save the tracks attendance.

Other tracks are not very healthy either, tracks like Suzuka, and especially Midfield have been turned into virtual ghost towns even when the popular Formula GT series races. It hurts simply to look at those completely bare stands at those two great tracks steeped in history.

emptysuzukauu4.jpg

notasinglepersonmidfieldad3.jpg

Things aren’t all bad however. While some tracks are dying out others seem to be keeping up very high attendance numbers. Autumn Ring is one of the most crowded tracks in the game. It seems as if fans really wanted to show their support after the track did not host races in the third installment of Gran Turismo. Also circuits such as Monaco and Apricot have kept their attendance numbers high. However it must be said the there are still plenty of seats to be found at Apricot.

fullstandsmonacomx9.jpg

I hope this investigation will open some eyes for the race planners and track owners in Gran Turismo and Hopefully in the next installment the stands will once again be packed.

So now I ask you all what are your thoughts on the low turnouts? Also where do you think the fans have all gone?

Nice 👍

I too, noticed that some tracks in GT4 have less attendance than those in GT3. I still think that the realism could be better. For instance, the first race in GT3 involves weak Japanese 4-bangers for a couple laps at the Superspeedway. Even so, the stands are packed. I ask you, would there be 150,000 willing to sit through that boring race? GT4 seemed to be a little more true to what road-racing crowds tend to look like: many but scattered.

Your pics dont work. Anyway that is true. I remember in the old GT games there were much more crowds but a little more unrealistic than GT4. I think the higher grapics from GT4 is maxing out the PS2's potential so they lowered the amount of people so the game isn't laggy.

EDIT: The pics work

Funnily enough I was thinking about this the other day, I also noticed that to the best of my knowldegde t'is a sexist game. I can't remember seeing a single female spectator (yes that's how bored I got sometimes...)

When I was doing rally in Special Condition Events I've notices some females in Grand Canyon. Yes, I too get that bored and notice every little thing on the track.

Yeah fan turnout seems to have declined over the years, but rallying seems to be as popular as ever. Fans even jump in the way of the car just to get a better look! I can't tell you how many cameramen I have flattened at the Grand Canyon because my Lancia couldn't swerve in time. :lol: And yes, you can hit a cameraman at the Grand Canyon, but you just go through him.

I heard there was a pay dispute between the Union Representing Pixelated People (URPP) and Polyphony Digital (PD) just before GT3 came out and some of our pixel friends went to work as extras on games like The Getaway and Grand Theft Auto.
Hopefully this standoff can be resolved between the URPP and PD for GT5 and we can see the crowds flock back to the tracks. Mark Hammond was talking to an extra in The Getaway the other day and the extra reportedly said that they prefer the racing action in the GT series but that the base pay and the danger money was just too good on The Getaway but the risk of injury or death was a concern for their family. Mr Hammond was surprised to hear that extras working in the GT series were not entitled to danger money as although motorsport is dangerous, the cars can not flip over the fence and into the crowd. Also, because there is no damage there is no risk of debris or stray wheels flying into the crowd.

Schrodes
I heard there was a pay dispute between the Union Representing Pixelated People (URPP) and Polyphony Digital (PD) just before GT3 came out and some of our pixel friends went to work as extras on games like The Getaway and Grand Theft Auto.
Hopefully this standoff can be resolved between the URPP and PD for GT5 and we can see the crowds flock back to the tracks. Mark Hammond was talking to an extra in The Getaway the other day and the extra reportedly said that they prefer the racing action in the GT series but that the base pay and the danger money was just too good on The Getaway but the risk of injury or death was a concern for their family. Mr Hammond was surprised to hear that extras working in the GT series were not entitled to danger money as although motorsport is dangerous, the cars can not flip over the fence and into the crowd. Also, because there is no damage there is no risk of debris or stray wheels flying into the crowd.

Haha, funny stuff. Although it is a shame to see that money is so important to the crowds. Its a shame indeed.

Schrodes
I heard there was a pay dispute between the Union Representing Pixelated People (URPP) and Polyphony Digital (PD) just before GT3 came out and some of our pixel friends went to work as extras on games like The Getaway

The Getaway? Those the invisible members of the URPP? ;)
Seriously, that game had less pedestrians than the Sahara.

Moglet
The Getaway? Those the invisible members of the URPP? ;)
Seriously, that game had less pedestrians than the Sahara.

Thats true, but its still fun running them over. I hate how the horribly slow your car though, its like running over a 400 pound person

The URPP members that were sheduled to be at the races were killed in a mass slaughter by a Apache helicopter. The pilot's name is apparently Carl Johnson from Los Santos, who is also suspected of several parking violations for parking a tank in a tow-away zone.

At least thats what I heard.

To try to get back on topic. It really seams as though they would have atleast made real tracks like Suzuka would have asked to show the track with a decent size crowd. If I was a track owner I wouldent be overjoyed if my track was a virtual ghost town.

TeamLosiRacer
To try to get back on topic. It really seams as though they would have atleast made real tracks like Suzuka would have asked to show the track with a decent size crowd. If I was a track owner I wouldent be overjoyed if my track was a virtual ghost town.

You rarely see any road races with fans packed to the rafters in real life anyway, so it's not surprising to see empty seats in the stands.

Speaking of which, does the 'Ring even HAVE stands? Since the newer starting line is blocked off and all.

Lol, whenever an F1 car is in Monaco, those crowds are big.
Those building balconies would be full of people.

But great eye. +Rep.

RICHARDO
You rarely see any road races with fans packed to the rafters in real life anyway, so it's not surprising to see empty seats in the stands.

Speaking of which, does the 'Ring even HAVE stands? Since the newer starting line is blocked off and all.

I am pretty sure the Ring had stands at some point on some past of the track since they held many Grands Prix in the past.

They problably use temporary stands strewn about the track that are erected during races, maybe when PD modeled the track they didn't have them up.

EDIT: I kinda double-posted this info a little down the page because this post didn't show up. I Alpologize.

I would say so so but If I am not mistaken the only race which still takes place on the old part of the ring is the 24 hour race. But I am sure that the 24 hour race also uses the New F1 circuit which has pleanty of seating. I am sure any other stands on the ring are long gone.

Also on thing I noticed in my study is that the City tracks have good turnouts. Also the rally does seem to be doing well with the addition of moving spectators.

TeamLosiRacer
I am pretty sure the Ring had stands at some point on some past of the track since they held many Grands Prix in the past.

They could use temporary stands that are erected when a race is sheduled, because when the 24hrs of the Nurburgring is going on, you can see stands (and RVs!) around the Nordsheilfe.

Why those spaces don't fill up?

1. Maybe because tracks like Mifield are not as known as Monaco :D

2. Who does want to see a 2CV "racing" :lol:

Nice thread by the way, some Rep for this is well deserved 👍

JFM92_GTRacer
Sweet topic. I think they lost interest because I win every race against the CPU ;)

Well there is that but let us remember the 2005 USGP. Only 6 cars raced and us fans were livid. Perhaps after Three generations of only showing races with 6 cars the Gran Turismo fans have shown they are tired of it.

Also one thing I had considered in my investigation was that perhaps their interest for car racing had died out and they had switched to motorcycles. I looked into this and decided to check out a motorcycle race. The situation was sadly the same:

notevenawheeliezj4.jpg

I managed to talk to the rider and he said it is disappointing that crowds are so small. “I’ve tried everything to impress them, I tried wheelies, I tried stoppies, and I tried falling off the bike repeatedly. Still no one has seemed to noticed.”

To get a final look into the issue of the crowds at recent Gran Turismo events I managed to talk to those who were closest to the action. I managed to find this driver doing a few laps at Midfield. Clearly he was not too happy about being interviewed and refused to get out of his car for the brief conversation.

driverinterviewku8.jpg

Here is what he had to say:

“Hey what can I say? I am told to win every race so that is what I do. I really have no control over any of this; I just drive the car when and where I am told. Sure I would like the fans to return, but as you can tell by the look on my face, I am not too worried.”

Clearly selfish drivers whose only concerns are winning, collecting A-Spec points which can be exchanged for items at the gift shops on the track, and collecting valuable prize cars such as the ultra rare Volvo 240 Estate, are not drawing the interests of fans.

Last but not least I talked to the people whom the entire investigation is based on, the fans. I attempted to talk to a few in the stands but they appeared silent, motionless, and blurry, in which I presume was to show their disgust at the state of racing in Gran Turismo.

I did however manage to talk to one fan however. The brave rally fan that obviously enjoys taking photos of the cars had a few words to share with me. Sadly those words were pointless in answering the question about where the fans have gone. Here is what he felt appropriate to tell me.

iwouldrunnr8.jpg

“Its fun to run out in front of the cars and take pictures, My friends and I like to dress alike and take pictures. The key to running out to take the pictures is remembering to run back to the side before the car hits you.”

Thanks to useless comments such as these I had to draw my own final conclusion. The one, which I have arrived at, is that fans are tired of seeing the same driver win over and over again. I have heard that some drivers have won over 90% of the races that they enter. Nearly ten years predictability have driven the fans elsewhere. So I ask you all as Gran Turismo drivers to lose and lose now. Only through losing race after race can we bring the excitement back to racing and have any hope of bringing the crowds back.

Thanks for reading and the +reps.

Back