Where Have the Crowds Gone???

While on this subject... I was very surprised how many empty seats there were for today's Formula 1 German Grand Prix.

Agreed, surprised that myself, it was only really the Mercedes stand that was jam packed, many other stands seemed a little empty in places.

I think it's because the massive number of people I used to get for my test runs have decided its just too dull watching one car trying to lap a circuit for hours on end. Even the occasional off or doughnut doesn't seem to hold their attention any more.

I was intrigued why in GT3 there would be full crowds for Time Trials and Free Runs - I'm sure 150,000 people have better things to do on a Tuesday afternoon.

Interesting thought: consider how many GT races must be occuring globally at the exact same time. No wonder the stands are empty: you can't have everyone in the same place at the same time.

Hehehe maybe we are so lousy drivers that the spectators decided to not to bother watching us race... :D

I agree; racing here can sometimes get real lonely. I hate the Trial Mountain laps since it feels as though I am driving at God awful place somewhere in North Dakota...!! Imagine you get a flat and try to change it there... Chances are the chainsaw family will getcha... Or maybe the Trial Mountain has eyes (!) :D

modik
Hehehe maybe we are so lousy drivers that the spectators decided to not to bother watching us race... :D

I agree; racing here can sometimes get real lonely. I hate the Trial Mountain laps since it feels as though I am driving at God awful place somewhere in North Dakota...!! Imagine you get a flat and try to change it there... Chances are the chainsaw family will getcha... Or maybe the Trial Mountain has eyes (!) :D

Ironic that, considering PD 'based' it in the UK lol

in the U.S. it semms that many people would rather go to a NASCAR race than see the GT races. i like to watch the pikes Peak hill climb each year.

cerpin_taxt
in the U.S. it semms that many people would rather go to a NASCAR race than see the GT races. i like to watch the pikes Peak hill climb each year.

There's a feedback cycle here. NASCAR starts out small but had lots of grassroots support, so the media covered it. So it draws bigger crowds, so it gets more media attention and thus bigger crowds. I personally am trying to setup a visit to an ALMS race sometime soon.

Love this thread, gave me a good chuckle, nice writing. If I had the posts I'd rep you. But I don't so you'll have to settle for a virtual rep : 👍

cerpin_taxt

I never watched the Pike's Peak race. When is it? Maybe I might grab a chance to view it on ESPN or Fox Sports ?? (Errrr.... of maybe Eurosport ?)

Regarding the Nascar; I find it as boring as the Super Speedway enduros :grumpy: . I mean what's the thrill to circle around endlessly... I feel as though the spectators come there to see some spectacular crashes and poor drivers get burnt to ashes... :scared: .... just as they go to ice hockey games to watch the players clobber each other with their fists and sticks... :lol:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my investigations, really I do it all for the fans. Awareness is the only way we can change the staqte of things. Make your voices heard, Contact your congressman, your senator, and PD that you want the fans back!!

I used to be serious NASCAR fan but about 4 years back I started Watching F1 and am hooked. One thing that did however upset me was when people cheered for the wrecks. Its just a shame to see people cheering for a crash that could end a persons life.

modik
I never watched the Pike's Peak race. When is it? Maybe I might grab a chance to view it on ESPN or Fox Sports ?? (Errrr.... of maybe Eurosport ?)

Regarding the Nascar; I find it as boring as the Super Speedway enduros :grumpy: . I mean what's the thrill to circle around endlessly... I feel as though the spectators come there to see some spectacular crashes and poor drivers get burnt to ashes... :scared: .... just as they go to ice hockey games to watch the players clobber each other with their fists and sticks... :lol:
it changes dates from year to year[ it depends on how fast they can get the snow off of the mountain.] but instead of watching it on espn, why dont you just come out to colorado? its a lot coller in person that it is on tv. you actually get to see some of your favorite rally cars from GT in person.

cerpin_taxt
it changes dates from year to year[ it depends on how fast they can get the snow off of the mountain.] but instead of watching it on espn, why dont you just come out to colorado? its a lot coller in person that it is on tv. you actually get to see some of your favorite rally cars from GT in person.

Well thanks for the very polite invitation. I do fly like 100 to 150 days a year due to my job but leisure and hobby do not belong in it... :(

I still have to settle down for ESPN etc... :indiff:

suit yourself, but its still awsome. i saw the escudo dupe it one year, i was laughung my a@# off because of my GT experiences....

Back