Which cars sound nice? (Videos please!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITCC_Andrew

(Banned)
Canada
Kitchener
This thread started out as a muffler performance vs. sound thread. Now, as I've learned enough about the mufflers, and now have enough of a consensus, I'll just make this thread into a "which cars sound nice?" thread.

Any thing welcome, if it sounds nice.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
How about installing one of these to the performance exhaust? It may not look pretty to some but it sure does help.

I think greddy or apexi sells cat back system where you can choose if you want a very loud or a civilized version.

What makes a muffler quiter, the "foam" (don't know the english term) that is inside. More foam = quiter.

Any sort of modifocation you make to a car's exhaust in order to improve its performance will inherently increase the amount of noise it lets by.

There's one type of exhaust, can't remeber the "brand" name, but it uses chambers instead of sound deadening material. These chambers are shaped in such a way that they dampen a certain range of the pressure pulses that enter it from the exhaust with minimal sacrifice in performance. Also I think they have a valve that closes when you get on the throttle which practically makes the exhaust a straight pipe.

Keep in mind that these kits, like any other exhaust modification, are still much louder than stock. If your friend doesn't want a loud car then he should just keep it stock.

Also, you should post pictures of your friend's GTR. I'm very interested in seeing it.

Last edited:
Baffles are what cause the mufflers to be quieter. So a straight through muffler (i.e. Fart cannon, you know what they look like) will produce a louder, more raspy sound, while a chambered muffler will make a more mellow, quieter sound. As a general rule of thumb. That being said, your friend is gonna be wasting his money to get a quiet aftermarket system.

The 2 are mutually exclusive. High flow or quiet, which do you want?

. Also I think they have a valve that closes when you get on the throttle which practically makes the exhaust a straight pipe.

That's Apexi and the valve isn't expensive at all. If I remember correctly it was around 150 bucks, but don't quote me on that

EDit:
apexi-ecv-ya.jpg

124€ (+ transport)

Though I think it should be pointed out, before anyone draws the conclusion, that loud does not necessarily = high flow.

Again, he doesn't want obnoxiously loud, just loud enough to get horsepower gains. He's got a nice setup. He's looking for the final few HP, before he's at 500 AWHP. :lol: It's a nice car.

This is a photo from Facebook. Stupid birds!!

298231_268941879796555_59735878_n.jpg

That's a 'nice' car? I mean, maybe it's a work in progress, but it's far from nice at the moment, sorry to say.

Ibonibo
That's Apexi and the valve isn't expensive at all. If I remember correctly it was around 150 bucks, but don't quote me on that

EDit:

124€ (+ transport)

Definitely not what I'm talking about.

Also, nearly 500 HP and still a stock exhaust? Jeez. A nice exhaust is the first engine modification I'd do on almost any car. It's just really strange that someone that has done enough to their car to produce almost 500 HP would still have a stock exhaust.

I say nearly because a good exhaust probably won't give him more than 25 HP if that.

Eunos, the hood/bumpers/lights etc., have since been finished. It's a nice car now. The photo's a few years old.

Andrew B.'s been driving his RX-7 and 180SX, so the R32 stays in the garage (too powerful to be daily driver.)

And, I was just using his R32 as an example; it'll be a full-out time-attack car, so he has already changed the exhaust. But, as an example, that's what I was asking; which exhausts are the best balance between volume/power. I'd like to see more cars with performance exhausts, that aren't fart cannons or OEM exhausts...

Even with a straight through-exhaust, an RB26 will sound great and not be that loud. The turbo(s) do a huge amount of muffling themselves. They slow down the exhaust pulses, which is a huge part (really everything) of exhaust noise. This also explains why unsilenced n/a and supercharged rotaries are often too loud even for racing. Not even an exhaust valve to get in the way of the exhaust pulses, no sound dissipation at all anywhere in the exhaust. Piston engine has exhaust valves, the head itself, the manifold, and, in this case, the turbochargers to slow down exhaust energy.

While it's impossible to accurately gauge exhaust noise from a video, you can tell there isn't much reverb or distortion of the mic, so it's not absurdly loud. Unlike, for example, this:

A friend wants a performance exhaust for a Nissan R32 GT-R, but, doesn't want his awesome car to seem ricey, with a big, loud, ugly muffler that's going to wake the dead.

Which parts are best to achieve a balance of added power/torque/fuel economy (hereby: "performance") and silence?

Obviously, that means not removing the catalytic converters and silencers, but, what else can be done?
And, I was just using his R32 as an example; it'll be a full-out time-attack car, so he has already changed the exhaust. But, as an example, that's what I was asking; which exhausts are the best balance between volume/power. I'd like to see more cars with performance exhausts, that aren't fart cannons or OEM exhausts...
How do you make close to 500whp in a R32 GT-R and not have a performance exhaust already installed? :confused:

It can be done, upgrading everything else but the exhaust. FMIC, turbo upgrades ( low mount twin set up or high mount single ) running 1.4 Bar or more, bigger injectors, aftermarket ECU, these alone should get the R32 into 500HP range at least. Of course, putting free flow exhaust would yield another 5-20 HP more.

It can be done, upgrading everything else but the exhaust. FMIC, turbo upgrades ( low mount twin set up or high mount single ) running 1.4 Bar or more, bigger injectors, aftermarket ECU, these alone should get the R32 into 500HP range at least. Of course, putting free flow exhaust would yield another 5-20 HP more.
I didn't say it can't be done. I'm asking why you wouldn't have one installed at that horsepower level.

I don't believe for a second it's healthy for a R32 GT-R's engine to be running 500whp with a stock exhaust on it.

I didn't say it can't be done. I'm asking why you wouldn't have one installed at that horsepower level.

I don't believe for a second it's healthy for a R32 GT-R's engine to be running 500whp with a stock exhaust on it.

Sorry, if I took it the wrong way, I was just saying that simple mods could yield that power level without ever touching the exhaust.

I think having restrictive exhaust does not mean it's healthy or unhealthy for a car engine. All it does is restricting air flow, which usually only cause 5 to 20 Hp loss ( depend on the tune ). This of course, as long as the engine has properly tuned ECU to suit the configuration. The 500HP would mostly attainable from turbo+intercooler+ECU+injectors upgrade and running more boost. If simply running stock exhaust unhealthy to a high power tuned engine, then the stock factory R32 GTR can also be said as unhealthy, as it's well known to be restricted from factory with restrictive ECU tune, exhaust, intercooler and conservative boost level.

A fully stock unrestricted RB26DETT would have close to 400HP at the flywheel ( simply by tuning ECU, fitting bigger more efficient intercooler, increase boost, free flow exhaust, intake ) This would be the limit before changing turbo, engine internals or injectors.

Or even worse, it's not really his friends/the owner isn't really his friend :lol: But I wanted to play a safe bet. After all, I was only using his "shop's" website and his previous posts on GTP as experience.

speed junkie
Any sort of modifocation you make to a car's exhaust in order to improve its performance will inherently increase the amount of noise it lets by.

There's one type of exhaust, can't remeber the "brand" name, but it uses chambers instead of sound deadening material. These chambers are shaped in such a way that they dampen a certain range of the pressure pulses that enter it from the exhaust with minimal sacrifice in performance. Also I think they have a valve that closes when you get on the throttle which practically makes the exhaust a straight pipe.

Keep in mind that these kits, like any other exhaust modification, are still much louder than stock. If your friend doesn't want a loud car then he should just keep it stock.

Also, you should post pictures of your friend's GTR. I'm very interested in seeing it.

Not necessarily, you can get a really loud axleback that gives about the same as a quieter one, and if you go with smaller cats or catless for performance even though it will obviously be louder than stock you can use resonators and have a good back section for it to be quiet

How do you make close to 500whp in a R32 GT-R and not have a performance exhaust already installed? :confused:

I said, after I got my answers, that I was using the Skyline as an example. I just mean, in general, what's the difference between a too loud muffler, a nice muffler, and an overly-restricted muffler.

The Skyline, actually, is running about 480 hp now, because the exhaust was changed like last year... Again, I'm saying hypothetically, if he were to buy a new exhaust...

I was just using the Skyline as an example.

You said:

A friend wants a performance exhaust for a Nissan R32 GT-R, but, doesn't want his awesome car to seem ricey, with a big, loud, ugly muffler that's going to wake the dead.

Which parts are best to achieve a balance of added power/torque/fuel economy (hereby: "performance") and silence?

Obviously, that means not removing the catalytic converters and silencers, but, what else can be done?

Tell the truth up front, and you won't have the same sort of problems in this thread as you did the last two.

-

At 480 whp, there's only loud and louder. Not much choice in it unless you get an electronically controlled variable muffler or, better yet, an electronic dump valve

"Rice" is a matter of opinion. It's "rice" to have a 3" exhaust exit making stock power. It's necessity when it's making twice that.

Of course, the ultimate rice is the multi-pipe exhaust exits coming out of single mufflers on factory cars.

You said:

Tell the truth up front, and you won't have the same sort of problems in this thread as you did the last two.

-

At 480 whp, there's only loud and louder. Not much choice in it unless you get an electronically controlled variable muffler or, better yet, an electronic dump valve

"Rice" is a matter of opinion. It's "rice" to have a 3" exhaust exit making stock power. It's necessity when it's making twice that.

Of course, the ultimate rice is the multi-pipe exhaust exits coming out of single mufflers on factory cars.

As long as it doesn't go "braaaaap, braaaaap," I'm fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back