Why do hard working middle class Americans trust corporations

• Thread starter randys
  • 35 comments
Oh, I thought you meant doing the same post twice and not just editing the first one...but I see what you mean, wont do it again.

As to your comment that the reason 20 people have half the wealth is they have all the good ideas, you dont really believe that, do you? Many of the richest dont employ anyone or hardly anyone, by the way. Many of them make their wealth by consolidating and liquidating and destroying jobs.

I could bog down this site with hundreds of pages of world renown economists explaining why a small group have all the money and not one word of it will support the idea that they have all the money because they have all the great ideas, but I suspect that if I did that it would not make a scintilla of difference in others opinion, so that is why I wont do it.

We are at a sad place in our history as a nation, one side believes what they believe even when mountains of factual evidence says otherwise. Truth used to matter.

Have a great thanksgiving everybody!

Last edited:
As to your comment that the reason 20 people have half the wealth is they have all the good ideas, you dont really believe that, do you?
No. But then I don't believe in anything, and I didn't actually say that. I said:
Generally by very few individuals having revolutionary ideas and being able to produce and market them successfully.
If you have a revolutionary idea, but can't produce or market it, you're not getting in. If someone else has a revolutionary idea, but you're able to Steve Jobs Steve Jobs Steve Jobs Steve Jobs, you'll accumulate wealth. I also said "generally", because sometimes it isn't the case.

You also didn't answer the question posed before replying with your own question...:

How many people do those 20 people employ?

How do you think this stuff happens?
People that do a lot of good make a lot of money.

The only forcing of views is being done by trump and his rightwing cabal, ending net neutrality and the only reason average citizens who will be hurt by it defend it, is tribalism.
That makes no sense at all. Net Neutrality is very clearly a forced view, that companies should act a certain way because reasons. Repealing it would be the opposite of that. I don't see how you could argue the opposite.

We are at a sad place in our history as a nation, one side believes what they believe even when mountains of factual evidence says otherwise. Truth used to matter.

You said you don't want to continue, but I just want to point out how silly this looks. You're ignoring everything said to you and assuming that the only way people could disagree with you is if they're stupid. So much for truth mattering.

You're not even necessarily arguing with people in the US, let alone Trump supporting US citizens:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-elections-2016.326052/page-278#post-11604960

Last edited:
Many of the richest dont employ anyone or hardly anyone, by the way. Many of them make their wealth by consolidating and liquidating and destroying jobs.
I guess I'll answer my own question then. The top five currently are:
1. Bill Gates
2. Jeff Bezos
3. Warren Buffett
4. Mark Zuckerberg
5. Larry Ellison

Gates got there through Microsoft, which employs around 125,000 people. Jeff Bezos got there through Amazon, which employs 350,000 people worldwide, and about 120,000 in the USA. Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway employs 360,000, while Zuckerberg's Facebook only manages just under 20,000. Ellison is CTO at Oracle which employs nearly 140,000 (not sure how many are in the USA).

So the top five alone employ around 750,000 Americans. If they all earn a median salary that's a net worth of $26bn, while the five between them are worth around ten times more at $280bn.

Suddenly seems less unfair, doesn't it? These uber-rich people spend 10% of everything that they're worth directly on other Americans - every year. And that's without mentioning their charitable contributions which are of a similar order of magnitude and also annual. And that's what they're "worth", which is tied in to what they own and not what they earn

Some of the rest of the top 20 include pairs of people at Koch, Walmart, Google and Steve Ballmer at Microsoft, which will tilt it a bit, but it looks like the top 20 employ millions of Americans. The bastards.

Last edited:
For a fraction of what it is worth.

I mean well to do people are why I can charge thousands for a couple days work. And my rates will continue to go up at a much faster rate than inflation as build my reputation.

Curious how you value luxury goods, such as wedding photography, which offer no "real" benefit to society?

Back