WipEout HD/Fury

• Thread starter Havok_
  • 849 comments
for ship designs *haven't read the article yet but will!* Assegai is my favorite looking ship, and has the stats/control that i am most able to tear up the tracks with. I also really like the Piranha (looks like a shoe-horn). Does anyone else think the Feisar looks like a set of Male Genitals from the right angle :ill:. The only ship i truely do not like the design of is the Mirage, something about that design doesn't click with me. I need to step my game up. I have been slacking on wipeout. Will try to get back into the groove and finish up the Meltdown series.

Release date for the Fury expansion pack is now officially confirmed for Thursday 23rd July :dopey:, and the price is £7.99 (Source: Playstation Blog) Confirmed by none other than Zico himself... last week I was trying to beat him, now I just want to hug him :D

There will also be an update for WipEout HD on Tuesday 21st, including a new statistics section, redesigned ships, and some new features for online...

Fury will come with updated menu screens, but apparently you will be able to revert back to original HD menus too. I wonder if this will also apply to the ships too, since they all look to have been quite dramatically redesigned for Fury?

Last edited:
Confirmed by none other than Zico himself... last week I was trying to beat him, now I just want to hug him :D

Next new WipEout trophy: Hug Zico

To win it you have to stay on top of his ghost for one lap and never break contact!

Thanks for the great news, they really have outdone themselves by updating HD as well, surprised about that.

£7.99 for us, $9.99 for the Americans... Tsk, and they're Studio Liverpool! Why would they betray us Brits? We pay a whole $3 extra :P

Not that £7.99 is bad or anything, i was thinking it'd be almost the same price as the original game :D Nothing but a day one purchase (actually, i'll probably be sat there on Thursday refreshing the Store every few minutes until the update goes live...).

Next new WipEout trophy: Hug Zico

To win it you have to stay on top of his ghost for one lap and never break contact!

Thanks for the great news, they really have outdone themselves by updating HD as well, surprised about that.

LOL, I have to get that trophy.

Hmm I guess it is personal opinion, other than EGX, but I love the look of Icaras and Qirex, in fact Qirex would be myfirst choice if the stats were similar to the 2097 ones ;)

The underside detailis due to differing design strategies for the various teams though, the lightweight Assegai vs the heavweight Qirex for example.

The Harimau is the prettiest craft in the game! Its funny that I think the worst are Auricom and Mirage! LOL It really is a funny world. Seems they managed to appeal to lots of people though.

Quirex is not that bad a looking ship from most angles, but the underside looks terrible. You can say that it represents the differing design strategies, but I personally feel that it is just poorly designed. It reminds me of the black underside of the cars from Gran Turismos of days gone by.

Honestly though, to me personally, it is as if the Assegai ship is literally 2 to 3 times more detailed than some of the other ships in the game. Why is the diffence in quality so obvious?

I actually think the Auricom and Mirage ships are pretty cool, with the Mirage ship having a pretty unique design in respect to the rest of the other ships in the game.

What the guys who are doing this update need to do is introduce some more unique ship designs. I saw nothing new or unique on the blog update they posted. Jsut the same old stuff.

As I see it, there are only 3 basically different core designs. How about createing some new designs? Howabout a ship with a single central arm instead of the two side by side of the Quirex? Or, how about a spherical ship that is similar to the Mirage, but has no arms whatsoever?

What about some new weapons too? I don't think they have changed much since the first game 12 years ago!

HD version 2.00 update is now available - just having a look at my statistics page :cool: Laps completed - 6971, mostly in Phantom class, and mostly in Icaras (1487) and mostly at Moa Therma forward (1347). Total game time: 63hrs :embarrassed:

HD version 2.00 update is now available - just having a look at my statistics page :cool: Laps completed - 6971, mostly in Phantom class, and mostly in Icaras (1487) and mostly at Moa Therma forward (1347). Total game time: 63hrs :embarrassed:

Thanks for the heads up - I completely forgot about the update...

Ahhh, a little less than TWO DAYS till release! :bowdown:

And at magburner - I actually really like the shape of the ships at the moment, I don't think they should change them :) But there are definitely different weapons now than there were in the first games (yes, I know, a few are still the same, but I think that's a GOOD thing) 👍

Very good, thank you!

Edit: Spent an hour racing online tonight. Updates are very good, new badges and a much improved interface so you can actually see what stage the various races are in. The statistics are deeper than I ever imagined-surprised they have been tracking so much all this time-I might have paid a bit more attention to my overall performance had I known. Lots of online races to choose from and I lost to seanywauny more times than I could count but did have a win here and there and a bunch of fastest laps when I was trailing around in last place.

Overall, much more than expected, but that has been the standard for this game since it hit. Well done.

Last edited:
Unlucky... although the update last night has caused some problems. I'm getting big frame drops happening now, on offline races :ill: Others are reporting problems in online races, and with the PS3 freezing in the online lobbies. I really hope they sort this out before Fury comes out, but given that Fury is out tomorrow, they have their work cut out for them.

The new statistics page is great, and apparently there are also a few tweaks to the gameplay too - I noticed some changes in the HUD during racing, and apparently barrel rolls are alot smoother now, and the new menu screens are good (although the colours are big odd in some, e.g. Meltdown campaign).

Someone at Wipeoutzone suggested updating to the latest (optional) PS3 firmware (2.80) which I thought I had, but I will check this, as it might explain why the HD v2.00 update is glitching so badly.

Anyway, I hope you get your PS3 back shortly, Jambo 👍

edit: Updated to 2.80, but still getting frame drops :indiff:

Last edited:
Frame drops are evil, been keeping an eye on wipeoutzone as well following it, maybe it will be a good thing waiting a bit and playing the game as it was meant to be.

SL are quite good with their interactivity with the community at WZ so hopefully any problems are atended to.

Had a quick go at lunchtime and it seems to be a bit better - far fewer noticable frame drops, but they are still there.

I am still trying to get that damned last Elite gold, but reckon that I can do it so long as I can get the following (40 pts):

2 wins: 1,1,2,6,4,6,2,4 (8,8,6,2,4,2,6,4 = 40 pts)
3 wins: 1,1,2,6,5,6,1,5 (8,8,6,2,3,2,8,3 = 40 pts)
4 wins: 1,1,1,7,5,7,1,5 (8,8,8,1,3,1,8,3 = 40 pts)

My PB: 1,1,3,7,8,4,1,6 (8,8,5,1,0,4,8,2 = 36 pts)

Last edited:
:( :dopey: Almost cried with joy :P, as I finally got the Elite Campaign Legend gold 👍 And sealed it with a win at Sol 2 to my favourite custom WipEout HD track, "The Body Electric" by Rush :dopey:

Results:

1 - Vineta K - 1st
2 - Anulpha - 1st
3 - Moa Therma - 2nd
4 - Chenghou - 8th :indiff:
5 - Metropia - 1st :dopey: :shocked:
6 - Sebenco - 6th
7 - Ubermall - 2nd
8 - Sol 2 -1st :stunned:

Total - 46 pts; winning margin - 9 pts

The key lesson here is 'Don't quit just because you came last at Chenghou' 💡 And less than 24 hours before the deadline :cheers: :dopey:

Last edited:
Congrats!

I have just discovered, as I loaded up my account on my brothers PS3 that whilst my laptimes and trophies appear I now have the whole game to unlock tonight!

Going to be busy.

Ugh Arcade Perfect, it is the one that is going to take the longest, some of the tracks are nightmares in reverse, they are my foes.

Waited until 00:00 just so i can reply and say: YAAAY! TODAY IS THE DAY!

And *breathe*...

Honestly, i'll be sat there refreshing the PS Store every few seconds :nervous:

I'd be surprised if it comes out tonight... still, my arsehole neighbour is having a drunken party tonight, so I ain't going to bed any time soon anyway.

Slightly more worryingly, the game just froze on me. :ill: Anyway, hopefully WipEout Fury will be the only Fury I experience in the next 24 hours - it sounds like my neighbour has taken the hint and shut the hell up, so I'm off to bed while I have a chance of sleeping. Looking forward to tomorrow evening - I reckon 5pm, or maybe even lunchtime. Either way, it will be a sharp exit from work for alot of people tomorrow :D

Last edited:
Paul Tweedle

WipEout Creator
Venom Pilot

Timezone: GMT

Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
Am guessing that it will be the same as all other dlc, it will come when the PS store updates. So thats about 4-6pm GMT for the EU store.

Am not sure when the US store updates.
Exactly right. The European store will up date around 6pm Thursday. As for the US, Japan and Asia I'm not too sure to be honest. It's down to them to set times for their territories.

Thanks,

Paul.

It actually varies a lot, i've remembered coming home from school early after an exam at around 3pm before and seeing that the store was already updated, but i don't think it's ever been later than 6pm, so it's all good :)

There have been a couple of rare times when it has been after 7pm but that is only about twice since March 07!

Remember that we're not on GMT at the moment, but BST (which is GMT +1), so 7pm tonight is 6pm GMT ;) That would work out just perfect though - play WipEout Fury, or watch the Channel 4 news? Hmmm, tough choice!

The earlier the better, although there is some guy whining on the PS forums that, because Fury isn't out until this evening, Sony are providing a "really poor service" because they said the game was available on the 23rd, and instead of being able to download it when the clock ticked over at midnight, he has to "wait all day"... seriously, some folks are incredible :rolleyes:

The official forums are full to the brim with moaning idiots, just glad not many of them have discovered GTP.

That said banning a few would be fun.

Scaff

I don't know what the world has come to, it amazes me how people complain.

Also has he never seen a PS store update?

The official forums are full to the brim with moaning idiots, just glad not many of them have discovered GTP.

That said banning a few would be fun.

Scaff

Hate to say it but sometimes I have to say Banhammer FTW!

Also Scaff I don't know how you managed to be so civilised about "that" thread thats been going the last week or two.

I'm waiting on the "Why does the EU store get treated worse than the others" rant next...

Perhaps this is why it is called Fury :lol:

Hah, its so predictable. People need to realise how good they have things.

I remember back in my Master System days when i got a game for Christmas and one for my birthday and it was great!

My god how old do I sound!

Back