WipEout HD/Fury

• Thread starter Havok_
  • 849 comments
Nice one! I go on WZ all the time, currently in a tournament across all modes...but I never EVER do anything outside Time Trial, Speed Lap and Races.

Whoops.

I'm on the WZ too, go by the username trackripper there. :lol: And I saw, the OMNIUM tourney isn't it? :P Never good enough to race other WZoners, I mean Colonel_Gaddafi was the only person I could get close to and that was on a good day. :lol:

Some good achievements there folks - absolutely not to be sneezed at (whatever that means...)

I'd forgotten the custom soundtrack option - yes, that's really fine, especially as it alters when you go through tunnels :)

I always use a custom soundtrack. 👍

Really adds to the game, would you guys be up for a GTP room sometime??

Depending on work shifts, I'd be up for that. I can't promise that I'd be any great shakes but I willing alright. Maybe I should get some practice in...

I didn't use the Pilot Assist in my perfect flight around that one track. I also didn't know there was a custom soundtrack option for WipEout HD/Fury. WipEout games usually do not disappoint on the music side since I am a fan of electronica and electronic dance music. In fact, I may even say the WipEout games even help get me into this genre of music. So I am not even going to touch the soundtrack to this game.

I didn't use the Pilot Assist in my perfect flight around that one track. I also didn't know there was a custom soundtrack option for WipEout HD/Fury. WipEout games usually do not disappoint on the music side since I am a fan of electronica and electronic dance music. In fact, I may even say the WipEout games even help get me into this genre of music. So I am not even going to touch the soundtrack to this game.

The sound track is very good, catchy tunes for when you need to just focus in on the colours on Detonator or Zone. Gets a bit psychedelic at times, but hey, that's cool. :P

And Pilot Assist slows you down so much it's not even feasible in using it anymore. Just get used to airbraking early before sharp turns, even letting off the throttle if necessary, and learn to sideshift (best piece of advice I ever got when I started).

In fact, I may even say the WipEout games even help get me into this genre of music.

I'd definitely agree there, I really do believe Wipeout 2097 had a profound effect on me as far as tastes go, more so than possibly any other game. I always had it in mind when I was doing my graphic design degree (The Designers Republic have always been my favourite studio) and I still listen to the soundtrack every now and then.

So I am not even going to touch the soundtrack to this game.

I did! My custom playlist contains the following albums:

Wipeout
Wipeout 2097
Wip3out
Wipeout Fusion
Wipeout Pure
Wipeout Pulse
Wipeout XL
Wipeout HD Fury.

I think that's almost all of them!

I'd definitely agree there, I really do believe Wipeout 2097 had a profound effect on me as far as tastes go, more so than possibly any other game. I always had it in mind when I was doing my graphic design degree (The Designers Republic have always been my favourite studio) and I still listen to the soundtrack every now and then.

I did! My custom playlist contains the following albums:

Wipeout
Wipeout 2097
Wip3out
Wipeout Fusion
Wipeout Pure
Wipeout Pulse
Wipeout XL
Wipeout HD Fury.

I think that's almost all of them!

2048? Or is the tracklist the same as HD/Fury?

2048? Or is the tracklist the same as HD/Fury?

Oh yeah! 2048 came out fairly recently, I haven't actually been on my PS3 for more than maybe 10 hours since then. Tracklist:

Anile - Change of Direction (Wipeout mix)
Camo & Krooked - Breezeblock (Wipeout mix)
The Chemical Brothers - Electronic Battle Weapon 3
deadmau5 - Some Chords (Wipeout edit)
Dirtyloud - School of Funk
DJ Fresh ft. Sian Evans - Louder (Drumsound & Bassline Smith Mix)
The Future Sound of London - We Have Explosive (2011 rebuild) Wipeout edit
Kraftwerk - Tour de France 2003 (Wipeout edit)
Noisia - Regurgitate (Wipeout 2048 Edit)
Orbital - P.E.T.R.O.L (Final Drop Mix)
Orbital - Beelzedub
The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die (Liam H re-amped mix)
Rockwell - BTKRSH (Wipeout edit)
Underworld - Kittens (Will Saul & Tam Cooper Remix)

That's more Prodigy and Noisia than I'd ideally like to pay for, but if that version of Kraftwerk is anything like the version of Aero Dynamik on the Pulse/HD soundtrack I probably need that. And I get the feeling there'll be a lot more dubstep on this one (I haven't even heard it yet) than the last one.

I didn't use the Pilot Assist in my perfect flight around that one track.
Sorry if I gave the impression that you had, I was just saying that quite a lot of players rely on it, and that is bad for the reason trackripper pointed out. I meant to imply that you achieved a good thing - I probably didn't explain myself properly.

Agreed that the game music has always been good, that's something that Cademasters excell in too with their DiRT games. My custom soundtrack is really quite small but it does include the theme track from Metal Arms: Glitch in the System which really fits well.

I actually find Pilot Assist to be unhelpful after a while...it's too intrusive.

I actually find Pilot Assist to be unhelpful after a while...it's too intrusive.

It's very annoying when you want to hug the walls to get the perfect racing line and it nudges you back out again, plus some barrel rolls involve sideshifting on top of walls and cutting sections of track, etc etc, all of which I imagine Pilot Assist would interfere with.

I think you mean "Codemasters," MeanElf. I wasn't offended or anything when I suggested not using Pilot Assist. Something I usually practice is using the air brakes properly. Using it nicely is almost like doing air drifting. Prior to WipEout HD/Fury, the last time I did any kind of perfect lap was in doing a Zone event in WipEout Fusion on the very first track.

WipEout HD/Fury is more like a newer WipEout with a look to the past. It would be interesting if almost every weapon from past games were in this one. I sometimes want to hit some ships in HD/Fury with that Force Wall from Wip3out or use the Gravity Bomb from Fusion. I remember even using special weapons from WipEout Fusion like the Super Missile from Feisar or the Power Swarm from... was it EG-X? I even want to imagine using other past ships, including the old models from the long-standing WipEout teams. I enjoyed a fully-upgraded Xios International ship from WipEout Fusion.

Maybe I'm too much a WipEout veteran! :)

I would love a 'WipEout Legacy' title.

But with the death of SL, I doubt we will ever see another title...

Last edited:
I can't believe I wrote Cademasters instead of Codemasters...

Definitely going to get some practice in with sideshifting as that was something I had difficulty with. Interesting about the sideshift on a wall for a barrel roll - I'll need to look at that too.

I find that if you remap airbraking to L1/R1, sideshifting becomes a lot easier, and airbraking too. The analogue triggers take too long to depress twice for sideshifting, and they're a bit vague for airbraking with.

What's everyone's opinions on Zone mode? I'm fairly neutral, Its great fun but it just doesnt appeal to me as much as Racing does.

What's everyone's opinions on Zone mode?

I like it, I used it to grind to 10,000 loyalty points with all teams pretty quickly. However, after getting to zone 67 on Anulpha Pass (if I remember correctly) I lost the drive to get to 70, I think that's the one for Zone Zeus, right? The colours and responsive surfaces are really nice, maybe a little distracting. I wish the Zone ships were different for each team (but with identical stats), that would've been nice.

Yeah, Agreed. More ships in general would have been appreciated. It is a bit vacant on that front, Alternate Fury liveries would have been cool instead of just ZB and Metallic ships...

I only just learnt that "Triakis" is pronounced "Try-ak-iss" and not "Try-ak-eee". I thought the S was silent :dunce:

I just re-re-downlo as ded it. No matter how many times I finish the game and delete it for the extra disc-space, I just want to play it a lot. Now I have a new full-hd, 100hz television. Man the graphics are really awesome!

One of the best ps3 games. We will remember this one.

While Pilot Assist may help you in the early going, it's nothing but a hindrance once you get to the mid-level speed class races. Getting fast lap times with it is actually more of an achievement than getting fast times without, though pretty much no one does it.

I've only seen it used online, a few years ago now where there were hardly any lobbies where it wasn't an option.

I appreciate that with practice any player not using it can beat those who do use it in a clean race - but this is Wipeout we're talking about here, where certain weapons that can be used tactically and will really mess up your line such as the quake - and those with pilot assist set to 'on' seem to be less affected after being hit.

I wouldn't use it myself really, agreed.

What's everyone's opinions on Zone mode? I'm fairly neutral, Its great fun but it just doesnt appeal to me as much as Racing does.

Wipeout Fusion is the worse wipeout in entire series. No doubt here.

But only great feature in that game was Zone mode which wasn't that perfect at all cause you could get pass 4.294967296 points. While you reach that number your counter resets and you started ad 0 zone points. :ill: Although Zone counter still continued to grow.

Great feature in such bad game, good it stayed in Pure, Pulse and HD wipeout's

But 2097 forever !!

Zone is a great mode to test your skills on different classes. It was what helped me get out of Flash and into Rapier and Phantom. I also like how the track goes with the music, also. :dopey:

WipEout Fusion wasn't terribly exciting, but I did like the fast racing and powerful weapons. I think that game just tried to make everything expansive from ships to tracks to racing. The game just didn't really have as much character as past WipEouts. And as far as music goes, I think many of us will unanimously agree- nothing beats WipEout XL/2097. Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Fluke, Future Sound of London... come on, now. Too many classics to name.

I haven't paid too much attention to the songs in WipEout HD/Fury to really note any favorites. As for the Zone mode, I kind of think of it like Tetris- the task asked of you is simple but gets progressively harder as you improve. I'd say Zone is a great way to test your concentration as you race in WipEout. It is a test of concentration almost as much as playing a game of Tetris. It's weird I make a parallel between these two games, but that's how I think of Zone.

WipEout Fusion wasn't terribly exciting, but I did like the fast racing and powerful weapons. I think that game just tried to make everything expansive from ships to tracks to racing. The game just didn't really have as much character as past WipEouts.
You really think so? I found some of the previous games seriously lacking in character. I had Wipeout 3: Special Edition on the PS-One - which combined the full version of Wipeout 3 with four circuits from Wipeout and four from Wipeout 2097 - and I thought that as fun as it was, it was a completely impersonal experience. There were 512 races altogether, but they existed completely independently of one another; the line-up of racers on the grid would even change from race to race. And all you got to show for your efforts was a short video where the race starter announce "Hitomi says great racing - you've won Wipeout League!".

Wipeout Fusion at least tried to build an atmosphere for itself. The circuits were brightly-coloured and could be picked apart (unlike half of Wipeout 3's circuits), and each variation had its own unique challenge. The teams were distinct, and the challenge mode gave you a reason to keep playing with them, even after you unlocked bigger and better teams and weapons. The developer only really dropped the ball on the handling, which felt far too conventional compared to previous games, and the decision to drop long-standing elements of the franchise, like AG Systems and Qirex.

There is just one another thing that bothers me. From Wipeout Fusion the game has changed into Star Wars Pod Racer. Which means from now on ships stayed glued to race track and there was no way to fly. I mean really fly like you ware able to fly in 2097 and wip3out.

The game engine was changed. For me it was a turn off but attracted attention of new generation gamers which adapted to new style of playing.

Back