WipEout HD/Fury

• Thread starter Havok_
  • 849 comments
TWhich means from now on ships stayed glued to race track and there was no way to fly. I mean really fly like you ware able to fly in 2097 and wip3out.
That's what I meant when I said that the handling changed for the worse. The handling was dumbed down, which meant that mistakes didn't have consequences; the game was far too forgiving. I get that they wanted to take the edge off the punishing handling of previous titles, but I think they went too far.

:) I remember launching out of the game area on Vohl Square's full version once.
I'm pretty sure I did the same thing on Temtesh Bay and Katmoda 12. No game is without glitches like that, and if you push it too hard, you'll inevitably find them.

Neither 2097 nor Fusion. I have Wipeout for PS1 on PS3 but I can't seem to get on with it.

I think Sony were too busy supporting the Vita and I do wonder in how far that decision was responsible for Studio Liverpool closing. A full PS3 launch could only have helped keep them viable I feel.

Eliminator round of the tourney I posted about tonight. Nervous because I never do Eliminator...

There is just one another thing that bothers me. From Wipeout Fusion the game has changed into Star Wars Pod Racer. Which means from now on ships stayed glued to race track and there was no way to fly. I mean really fly like you ware able to fly in 2097 and wip3out.

The game engine was changed. For me it was a turn off but attracted attention of new generation gamers which adapted to new style of playing.

You my friend, have never used a turbo boost off the top of a hill in a track. Sebenco Climb Forward, when you're coming out of the tunnel, there's an uphill section. Nail your turbo there, and you fly out the other side, skipping a chicane section. :lol:

I always manage to hit a girder or billboard or something :) but you are right, there are plenty of airtime opportunities in HD/Fury, though not quite as insane as some previous ones.

You my friend, have never used a turbo boost off the top of a hill in a track. Sebenco Climb Forward, when you're coming out of the tunnel, there's an uphill section. Nail your turbo there, and you fly out the other side, skipping a chicane section. :lol:

No i mean you couldn't fly in any wipeout after Fusion, just like prisonermonkeys wrote due to changed handling. I did used turbo many times i even did Zeeco with crazy barrel rolls and ship released it self from grip of the track but there is no height control in those wipeout's. You could only lift nose if your ship but this doesn't lifted entire ship.

Take D-pad and push left or right. Ship suppose to turn left or right.
But push left + down or right + down and thanks to this you lift nose up and ship rises it self higher above the track. Chassis of the ship is lifted up and in many corners it helps to take sharp turns, because you use anti-gravity of your ship too stay away from walls. Now you are able to fly!

I miss my neg-con controller and those perfect laps and contender eliminated sound indicated by that perfect hard voice. And even in wipeout 3 it was nice to hear it still.

No i mean you couldn't fly in any wipeout after Fusion, just like prisonermonkeys wrote due to changed handling. I did used turbo many times i even did Zeeco with crazy barrel rolls and ship released it self from grip of the track but there is no height control in those wipeout's. You could only lift nose if your ship but this doesn't lifted entire ship.

Take D-pad and push left or right. Ship suppose to turn left or right.
But push left + down or right + down and thanks to this you lift nose up and ship rises it self higher above the track. Chassis of the ship is lifted up and in many corners it helps to take sharp turns, because you use anti-gravity of your ship too stay away from walls. Now you are able to fly!

I miss my neg-con controller and those perfect laps and contender eliminated sound indicated by that perfect hard voice. And even in wipeout 3 it was nice to hear it still.

Oh I see what you mean now, I suppose there is still pitch control, but not to the extent that there was in previous games.

I prefer the new controls. Then again, I've not played the original WipEouts in a good long while.

Wipeout and Ridge Racer were both nearly launch titles for Sony Game machines.

Wipeout was released almost every time shortly after new sony console hit store shelves. It was like that on ps-one (wipeout and destruction derby + ridge racer), then came second generation, (ridge racer revolution and 2097/XL), and then third generation (Rage Racer and wip3out).

For ps-two we got fusion and pure,

For psp pure and pulse

For ps3 wipeout HD + Fury

For ps vita wipeout 2048

For ps4 ?? I wonder if ever new sony will be released, so then with it also new wipeout ??

Wipeout and Ridge Racer were both nearly launch titles for Sony Game machines.

Wipeout was released almost every time shortly after new sony console hit store shelves. It was like that on ps-one (wipeout and destruction derby + ridge racer), then came second generation, (ridge racer revolution and 2097/XL), and then third generation (Rage Racer and wip3out).

For ps-two we got fusion and pure,

For psp pure and pulse

For ps3 wipeout HD + Fury

For ps vita wipeout 2048

For ps4 ?? I wonder if ever new sony will be released, so then with it also new wipeout ??

I don't think we'll get a new WipEout sadly, Studio Liverpool closed down soon after the launch of WipEout 2048... And I don't think any other company can make the game as well as SL. :(

I've decided to get in training for Zone Zeus... finally made it to Mach 1 speed (Zone 63) for the first time... gradually improving, but I reckon it is still a very long way off... that said, Mach 1 is the fastest speed before reaching Zone 75, and so if I can improve a bit at Subsonic (zones 50-60), I might have a chance... that said, I can make it to around zone 40 with no damage at all, and then it starts going downhill fast - but I reckon I got to zone 45 with about 75% health, but lost most of it in one 'pinball' incident...

Last edited:
Gah, don't get me started on Pinball incidents...

The best stage for it I find is Syncopia. 👍

Record there is 89.

I completed the "Lapped Out" trophy by running 99 laps around A. Pass. It almost felt like I was doing an Endurance in my run. Last time I remember doing 99 laps around a course in a game without pit stops, it was in the 99 Trial in "Ridge Racer V." I logged a whole lot of Perfect Laps. I wanted to do this Lapped Out trophy on a track I know I don't stink at. Otherwise, I could have done a 99 lap Speed Lap trial around some course I'm poor at, like Sebenco Climb. I even got myself a whole lot of Loyalty Points for my efforts. However, I'm still very short of the Trophy for 100K Loyalty points. Getting that trophy is almost like doing the one for having 1,000 Cars in GT5.

Gah, don't get me started on Pinball incidents...

The best stage for it I find is Syncopia. 👍

Record there is 89.
Syncopia is my choice too... Anulpha Pass is OK, but I find Syncopia alot easier... I got a perfect lap at Super Zen speed last night, so I reckon it's the way forward. I'm hoping that the leap from 63 to 75 is not as monumental as it sounds, and atleast I now have a few laps at Mach 1 under my belt :dopey:

I completed the "Lapped Out" trophy by running 99 laps around A. Pass. It almost felt like I was doing an Endurance in my run. Last time I remember doing 99 laps around a course in a game without pit stops, it was in the 99 Trial in "Ridge Racer V." I logged a whole lot of Perfect Laps. I wanted to do this Lapped Out trophy on a track I know I don't stink at. Otherwise, I could have done a 99 lap Speed Lap trial around some course I'm poor at, like Sebenco Climb. I even got myself a whole lot of Loyalty Points for my efforts. However, I'm still very short of the Trophy for 100K Loyalty points. Getting that trophy is almost like doing the one for having 1,000 Cars in GT5.
I stuck to using Feisar to get the Elite Campaign Legend trophy, and the 100K loyalty trophy came soon after, since it took me several attempts to win that tournament! :crazy:

I can't imagine new PS4 or whatever sony name it without wipeout. Ridge Racer is the last arcade racing game stand.

My PB is edging up slowly - first two shots tonight I've set a new PB on Zone mode - 64 and 65 respectively...

...but I'm really feeling the nerves set in as I get to Mach 1 :nervous: A curious way to relax of an evening... :crazy:

edit: Gah! 73 :( :( Just 18 seconds from glory :(

Last edited:
Still no mean achievement :)

All this talk has got me playing the game again...improving too thanks to the good controller mapping and usage tips posted recently.

Cheers all.

WipEout HD has been the first demo I ever installed on my PS3. I am only just now playing the full version, along with the Fury add-on. So I am just learning as I go. Call me a late bloomer to the WipEout HD/Fury party. All of what I am doing is mostly getting accustomed to an old title.

Touring Mars
My PB is edging up slowly - first two shots tonight I've set a new PB on Zone mode - 64 and 65 respectively...

...but I'm really feeling the nerves set in as I get to Mach 1 :nervous: A curious way to relax of an evening... :crazy:

edit: Gah! 73 :( :( Just 18 seconds from glory :(

Do you use a custom soundtrack too? It sounds ridiculous but Liquid DnB will relax you more I've found when doing Zone mode, whereas a lot of the default soundtrack is a bit too hyper.

Got a World #7 on Moa Therma Venom Speed Lap last night. Very happy with that!

EDIT: Another tip, regarding controller mapping. It might be worth your while tweaking the Acceleration and Airbreak sensitivity within these menus, this is your GT5 equivelant to a tuning mode. You will be surprised what a few tweaks can do...

Do you use a custom soundtrack too? It sounds ridiculous but Liquid DnB will relax you more I've found when doing Zone mode, whereas a lot of the default soundtrack is a bit too hyper.

Got a World #7 on Moa Therma Venom Speed Lap last night. Very happy with that!

EDIT: Another tip, regarding controller mapping. It might be worth your while tweaking the Acceleration and Airbreak sensitivity within these menus, this is your GT5 equivelant to a tuning mode. You will be surprised what a few tweaks can do...

Well done on the #7 :eek:

Thanks for the tips, I might have to start playing with the controller settings, as I'm using default controls at the moment... I do have a custom soundtrack but I switched it off as I was finding it too off-putting (well, certain tracks anyway)... I will definitely be updating it to something more trance-like!

I gave up after one last try last night, and made Zone 69... wanted to continue but it was getting late! I reckon it is now within grasp though, as I have since made it to Mach 1 with 100% health... will give it another bash tonight...

P.S. Is it better to use L1/R1 for airbrakes, or to stick with L2/R2 and adjust the sensitivity etc.?

Its much better to switch to L1/R1 in my opinion. The lag between pressing the triggers isnt there and as you know, In Zone this can make all the difference.

Also try out 90%(Acceleration) 60%(Airbreak) on the controller mapping...I find that to help a lot!

Also, do you use Anologue Stick or D-pad? :)

My preference for controller mapping is R1/L1 airbrakes, max acceleration sensitivity and I can't remember the airbrake sensitivity, quite high I think. I don't think it makes a difference when you map it to L1/R1 anyway as those buttons are digital AFAIK and not analogue like the triggers.

I'm also a D-pad user, much much easier to barrel roll than the sticks.

Its much better to switch to L1/R1 in my opinion. The lag between pressing the triggers isnt there and as you know, In Zone this can make all the difference.

Also try out 90%(Acceleration) 60%(Airbreak) on the controller mapping...I find that to help a lot!

Also, do you use Anologue Stick or D-pad? :)

My preference for controller mapping is R1/L1 airbrakes, max acceleration sensitivity and I can't remember the airbrake sensitivity, quite high I think. I don't think it makes a difference when you map it to L1/R1 anyway as those buttons are digital AFAIK and not analogue like the triggers.

I'm also a D-pad user, much much easier to barrel roll than the sticks.
Cheers for the set-up tips 👍

I have always used the D-Pad, but I'm now using the analogue sticks for steering in Zone mode...

I tried the analogue at one point, couldn't make it go left-right-left fast enough for barrel rolls over the tiniest jumps, like the one onto the higher route on Anulpha Pass that you have to nail in order to Beat Zico. :lol:

Would be nice to have a GTP room at some point; since the 2.10 update for GT5 I've lost interest, my tuning garage and methods are pretty obselete now, so back to WipEout. :P

I basically use the directional pad to execute barrel rolls. Works much easier for me.

I was going to host a room at around 8PM GMT tonight, would anyone be game for it?

Back